The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Slower performance with each new add ons

Well I have almost all expansion packs and stuff packs, and even tho I have a top of the line Alienware game computer, the game runs so choppy with all installed. I reinstalled the game leaving out the Vampires, Get to Work and a lot of the small stuff packs and now the game runs smooth. Therefore EA, I will not be buying anymore expansion (I did want Seasons) packs, stuff packs anymore as the game will not run well with everything installed. How bout making sure everything works well if you want us to keep shelling out more money. Pretty sure I'm finished supporting this game anymore and will just deal with the few I'm running with my base game. No more money for you.

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,816 Member
    edited June 2018
    When you say choppy do you mean stuttering or lagging?

I also have a an Alienware and my game runs flawlessly. I have all expansion packs, game packs, and stuff packs installed.

ETA: My Specs
    Alienware Aurora
    Intel i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz
    16 GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX1070
    64 bit operating system
    Windows 10

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    My game loads a bit slow, but once loaded I haven't had any major issues. How much RAM do you have on your computer? Sometimes adding more RAM can help with performance and reduce lag. Or if you're using mods or CC, cutting back on those can help as well. I took out a bunch of mods that I wasn't using right now (I can always download them again when I want to use them -- they were to improve the Scientist career but I have no active Sims in that career) and that improved performance a bit.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Painterroy58Painterroy58 Posts: 136 Member
    My game loads a bit slow, but once loaded I haven't had any major issues. How much RAM do you have on your computer? Sometimes adding more RAM can help with performance and reduce lag. Or if you're using mods or CC, cutting back on those can help as well. I took out a bunch of mods that I wasn't using right now (I can always download them again when I want to use them -- they were to improve the Scientist career but I have no active Sims in that career) and that improved performance a bit.

No mods or CC, I have 16 GB Ram, and I must say all other games (Fortnite, GTA, Witcher 3, Skyrim, etc etc.) all run smooth as ice. Only Sims 4 with everything on it runs choppy. I did try uninstalling, deleting the old save files, and reinstalling with all the packs again, but it still ran choppy, lagged every few seconds to a freeze. But once I unistalled, reinstalled with just half the packs, it ran flawlessly.
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    Make sure the game is running on your graphics card and not your cpu chip, that would explain everything.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    RAM isn't everything. Post your specs.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited June 2018
    My specs
    Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    System Memory - 12 GB
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31270 @ 3.40GHz

The game itself runs flawlessly but from time to time it's this weird jumpiness. Like when my sim is jogging and I'm following them... I'm not sure if that's how its supposed to look.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2018
    Might be a computer thing?

Since I just installed Cats & Dogs on my graphic-card-less computer last night, and I noticed if I do the fast forward of time, the sims’ actions would stagger/skip and lag, so I have to be careful with fast forwarding from now, I guess.

It works fine when I’m not fast forwarding otherwise, so that’s good at least! :smile:

Before installing Cats & Dogs (and Jungle World), I had no problems fast forwarding in Sims 4.

For me, it’s my computer, and I don’t have a graphics card. Not sure about RAM. I have no clue how computers work...

(I’m just using the computer as it is when my dad bought for me. It’s probably about three or four years old now? Can’t remember. I have NO CLUE where to start in order to upgrade it, though... :flushed: )
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited June 2018
    @bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸 if you know a friend who tech savvy that can be a good start or YouTube can be a nice place to start. I was lucky to have both. My husband and I found a desktop someone had built at a pawnshop and we bought it. The graphics card was outdated and I could not run the Sims 4 on ultra (it would shut off the computer) I started researching online for a good graphics that wasn't too expensive and came across the one I have today and have had it for a year now. A friend of mine and my husband had a close friend who works on computers and he helped us install the new graphics card. I say start with a graphics card. It's not going to be cheap but I heard it's cheaper than buying a new processor lol. Good luck! ☺️
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    just for further Note, alienware doesn't come with on board graphics, well mine didn't :P
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Mine didn't either.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2018
    Honestly the one thing that slows my game down is CC. At one time I had a very large CC folder with just CAS items, nothing else. I decided to remove that folder and start the game. The game starts like THAT very quickly, very smooth. I put the CAS CC folder back and it takes about 2 minutes to load before I even get to the main menu. I’m convinced that’s the problem.

I only have a handful of mods. So I’m constantly removing CC and my performance improves so I’m not mad about it.
  • sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    It's the sims, unoptimized as usual. I like the game but the studio isn't exactly known for being amazing at optimizing their games. This game needs a beast of a CPU to not be choppy. Also, some players just don't notice the choppiness as I do so one might see the game as smooth while in reality the fps fluctuates so bad it's an eyesore for gamers used to high fps and high refreshrate monitors. A game hard locked at 60 is smooth, the sims isn't....
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2018
    Well I have almost all expansion packs and stuff packs, and even tho I have a top of the line Alienware game computer, the game runs so choppy with all installed. I reinstalled the game leaving out the Vampires, Get to Work and a lot of the small stuff packs and now the game runs smooth. Therefore EA, I will not be buying anymore expansion (I did want Seasons) packs, stuff packs anymore as the game will not run well with everything installed. How bout making sure everything works well if you want us to keep shelling out more money. Pretty sure I'm finished supporting this game anymore and will just deal with the few I'm running with my base game. No more money for you.

Hmmm, have you updated your video card drivers lately? if your system is top of the line it should be running Sims 4 smoothly, also it would be helpful to list your specs.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Mines hasn't seen any stuttering or lagging since I got a decent gaming laptop even over 2,000 pieces of CC (non-alpha). Have all the packs except for maybe 6 stuff packs? Also have it on ultra settings as well. Paid like $650 since it was on sale (electronic tax killed me tho haha)

Processor: Intel(r) core(tm)i5-7300hq cpu @ 2.50 ghz
    ram: 8 gb
    Nvidia geforce gtx 1050
    5vJrxmT.png
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    geoffreypa wrote: »
    just for further Note, alienware doesn't come with on board graphics, well mine didn't :P
    Cynna wrote: »
    Mine didn't either.

They do it just maybe turned off. Gaming laptops come with two graphics cards. My asus rog came with intel chip shut off. Asus stopped doing that.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    I kind of just thought it was expected that a game would slow down with more content in it. I mean that has always happened in every game I have added DLC to.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited June 2018
    geoffreypa wrote: »
    Cynna wrote: »
    Mine didn't either.

They do it just maybe turned off. Gaming laptops come with two graphics cards. My asus rog came with intel chip shut off. Asus stopped doing that.

Maybe that's it. The one that I'm on now is an ROG and I've seen no sign of an integrated card.

ETA: I was surprised to learn that there's an onboard card. I just checked the device manager for display adapter and sound, video, game controller and I don't see the Intel card. Out of curiosity, where would I find it? Would they not still show in the device manager, even if disabled?

BeJaWa wrote: »
    I kind of just thought it was expected that a game would slow down with more content in it. I mean that has always happened in every game I have added DLC to.

Yep, pretty much.

I also noticed that the fuller an HD/SD becomes, the slower the performance. At least, that seems to be my personal experience.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • AlwaysTheSunAlwaysTheSun Posts: 388 Member
    Well, my game got a bit slower too. Especially loading screens and while playing in Selvadorada...
    I have MSI Gp62 6QF Laptop
    Intel Core i7 6700HQ 3GHz,
    GEFORCE® GTX 960M
    12 GB RAM
    The game is installed of SSD disc
  • PandaSpiritPandaSpirit Posts: 127 Member
    I have simulation lag and my fast forward button doesn't really do much, as it always skips back. (for example I fast forward to 5PM, pause or play the game on normal speed and I'm actually at 4PM) Loading to main menu takes anywhere from 2-5 minutes, and loading all the way to my family takes around 5-10 minutes. I have a plummy laptop, dell inspiron 15 i5555, but I don't notice any visual lag. (AKA choppy) I do however have loads of bugs, like moving things from my inventory, or clicking on things and having to wait 3-6 seconds before the interaction will come up.

My graphics is integrated, and I doubt you knowing my specs would help, since Alienware beats my little $500 non-gaming laptop with failing memory at that xD

I have every pack installed except spooky and my first pet stuff. I have yet to install seasons, or install the new update. I'm seeing lots of problems with that new update so I'm not sure if seasons is even worth dealing with those issues. I also have 1,186 files of cc in my mods folder.
    445.png
    The best time to wear a striped sweater, is all the time.
    One with a collar turtle neck!!! That's the kind!!