Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the snow-depth a deal breaker?

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Not buying the pack because I feel weather and seasons are typically only essential when you already enjoy the game basically, but the undeep snow would not be a dealbreaker for me. Graphics have never been my number one priority in any game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    It does not stop me from buying, but whenever winter comes and I see that shallow snow and that sharp roof covered in white paint, I will feel a great discomfort and lack of immersion.

The amount of content I see in this pack is basically the same as I saw in The Sims 3 Seasons, or even less. So I do not think the amount of content will supply this trade off. If this package really demonstrates having much more content than The Sims 3 Seasons, I could agree, but unfortunately I do not think that's the case.

If we continue like this, all the expansions of The Sims 4 will have strange things missing. And if it happened so far, with the last 4 expansions, no doubt what the future holds us.
    tenor.gif
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    No it isn't! Still buying the pack
    Love the game and can't wait to add to my game play and stories with this pack.
    egTcBMc.png
  • LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    edited May 2018
    Idk I think it's a little silly not to get the pack because of one thing you may not like. I could understand it being multiple things you may not like but when its only one thing like I said it's a bit silly. Like I'm a little worried about love day being just a day where you just go out on a normal date and thats it... I know there won't be any attraction system or online dating which makes me a super disappointed. That's not going to stop me from buying this pack though im super excited about the other features.
  • PixelPrincezzPixelPrincezz Posts: 321 Member
    I am buying the pack because Seasons was always one of my favorite sims features so I'm hoping there is some snow depth and they just didn't show at the trailer but I can't keep playing sims in an "eternal summer"; I think seasons changes a lot in my opinion.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde
    EA ID: PixelPrincezz
    90dia7ml8p6n.jpg
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2018
    Absolutely not affected by less snow - there are 4 Seasons - not just one. I'd be rather petty if I let lack of snow depth be an issue over getting what is always the best ep of each Sims series. Shoot the first Sims did not even offer Seasons period - it offered nothing but a few meager peeks at Seasonal weather locked onto a summer or winter lot - and I still loved the Sims 1. I will never forget how it blew me away.

On top of it I was born in Florida - it never snowed there and I never missed it. So I do not get all the whoopla over the depth anyway. It will never affect my choice of definitely getting this pack. From what I have seen so far - I am already thrilled and can't wait to get it.

ETA As an adult I live in Maine and quite frankly I have often wished for way less snow - it is a genuine pain. Lights and heat get knocked out - Christmas parties get cancelled, stores close unexpectedly - roads are so dangerous people die thanks to deep snow - even one year Thanksgiving got cancelled after I spent a week cooking up Thanksgiving for 40 relatives who could not make it to my house. Some of which did not live even 6 miles away. Deep snow they can keep it. Snow is actually only pretty when it has barely covered the ground and is gently falling in fluffy white snow flakes. It gets too deep and in real life no one thinks it is pretty. It takes out your power lines and you have no lights or heat - believe me - no one is joyously looking for deeper snow. You talk realism - that is realism.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    we don't know if it's a gradual build up or not yet.
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Yes it is! I am not purchasing Seasons
    doedear wrote: »
    we don't know if it's a gradual build up or not yet.

We know. Some features that haven't been shown in the trailer were talked about by the Gurus yet this one 'can't be confirmed nor denied'. It is 100% not there.
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    This is a poll with two options. Whatever people choose is up to them, they will have their own arguments. Is it necessary to suggest the other choice is ‘silly’ or ‘petty’, just because it’s not your choice?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    This is a poll with two options. Whatever people choose is up to them, they will have their own arguments. Is it necessary to suggest the other choice is ‘silly’ or ‘petty’, just because it’s not your choice?

Who said the other choice was silly or petty? Seems you read something and then call it something else. As far as I know I am the only one who mentioned petty and I said nothing of the sort. Read it again.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    Yes it is! I am not purchasing Seasons
    even if they just loose 10% of sales because winter looks "flat", from a developer point of view its a must to add this rather simple visual effect.

But its not just winter, all ground textures from base game up to the new seasonals like leaves suffer from beeing flat and the lack of an additional visual layer.
    It is a grand chance to rework the ground textures and add an additional layer for snow, leaves, flowers, water puddles, clutter and details to accumulate on the ground and make the whole game look alot better (can even leave the additional layer on a toggle for caveman pcs).
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I haven't voted because I'm not sure if I'm buying the pack, I have a gift voucher through Origin which needs to be used.

However, the lack of snow Is disappointing- absolutely. I cringe at the sim making "snow angels". Is it a deal breaker, probably no but it's a red flag. If snow is pretty much terrain paint, it doesn't give me high hopes that the other seasons will get better treatment. My fear with seasons is that the sims won't react to it other than moodlets.

I can understand though for some it could be a deal breaker if it's confirmed that the snow in the trailer is as deep as it's going to get, what is not a big deal for some people is essential for immersion for others and who am I to tell them they are wrong for deciding not to buy a pack based on their own reasons?
  • cryskcrysk Posts: 657 Member
    flat snow I can live with but terrain painted leaves in autumn?
    uurE8HG.jpg
    ccBcpyk.jpg
  • NeverSeemsToEndNeverSeemsToEnd Posts: 292 Member
    I totally understand all the concern about snow depth, and i would like to see some acummulation of snow aswell, but the lack in snow acummulation is not a deal breaker for me since in previous games winter were not my favorite season, i'm more into rain and thunderstorms.
    Origin ID: NeverSeemsToEnd
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    ItsJanier wrote: »
    Even if there were snow-depth in the pack I would still wait for sale until getting it.
    TS4 packs lack depth anyway.
    The pack looks pretty tho. I wanna see LGR's review of it before I even think about getting it.
    I haven't been into TS4 lately, been playing TS3 instead.

I don’t understand why people let LGR make decisions for them.

He hated nearly every Sims 3 expansion bar Seasons and Generations. It’s clear he just doesn’t like the games anymore, he even said he doesn’t play them anymore, so I don’t see why people rely on him so much.

I feel like you’re better off making you’re own opinion, or watching people play the game.

Same goes for people who look to the reviews that just praise everything, like the hardcore influencers.

Just my 2 cents.
    edited May 2018
    Snow depth will be like Dishwashers.

People will be outraged that’s its missing, and yet show no interest when they add them.

When EA added dishwashers for free after a year of people begging, no one really showed an interest when they arrived. Now we don’t even see people begging for Trash Compacters like they were before Dishwashers came out (it was weirdly a huge thing).

Why? Because they’re a visual aesthetic that provides no new gameplay.

If changing the height of the snow is aesthetic only, and all the same gameplay can be done with shallow snow, EA would spend all this money on something people will go “eh” on.

It’s faux outrage at it’s finest. EA know what people really want, which is gameplay, which is why that’s what the trailer focused on.

Not the ins and outs of how Seasons looks in full.

If heavy snow meant more money on tech and less on gameplay, EA knows what will sell the pack more.

And those who are angry about it will cave in, even in a sale, which Is a win.

The Sims 3 also used the Sims 2 engine which meant EA had a starting point with 3.

4 was all from scratch and Grant confirmed all EPs get the same budget.
    @crysk wrote: »
    flat snow I can live with but terrain painted leaves in autumn?
    uurE8HG.jpg

They were in other games too? Making 3D leaves would be a huge waste of PC power
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    edited May 2018

If this were Sims3 and not Sims4 I would probably be disappointed in the flat snow and complain. Loudly. But given this is an expansion for Sims4, I think the snow and the flatness of it and the terrain are to be expected. But I really think the world looked very wintry in the trailer. I have said from the beginning that the teams did a great job creating such diverse and pretty worlds in Sims4. I love watching the hanging moss swaying in the breeze. I like the riverboat and the train and even though we are unable to interact with them, it's okay to just sit and watch them. Little touches like this make the game visually appealing to me. So, no to not buying this EP because of one little thing that doesn't quite live up to what we had in Sims3. Seasons is a must-have expansion.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    But I will wait for a sale.
    I'm not paying full price.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Even if there were snow-depth in the pack I would still wait for sale until getting it.
    The pack looks pretty tho. I wanna see LGR's review of it before I even think about getting it.

He hated nearly every Sims 3 expansion bar Seasons and Generations. It’s clear he just doesn’t like the games anymore, he even said he doesn’t play them anymore, so I don’t see why people rely on him so much.

I feel like you’re better off making you’re own opinion, or watching people play the game.

Same goes for people who look to the reviews that just praise everything, like the hardcore influencers.

Just my 2 cents.

Where has he ever said that? On the contrary he gave cats and dogs a fairly positive review and he said in his console review he likes the sims 4. I have never seen anywhere where he has said he doesn’t play the game anymore. (Game meaning any of the sims games)

It’s not a case of letting LGR make decisions for them - it’s about trying to get a balanced review, something of which it’s increasibgly hard to find these days.
  • Aesir26Aesir26 Posts: 304 Member
    It's definitely not a dealbreaker for me and it seems a bit silly to get angry over what seems to be an aesthetic aspect this time around since I don't think snow depth will matter where activities are concerned.
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

Just my 2 cents.

Where has he ever said that? On the contrary he gave cats and dogs a fairly positive review and he said in his console review he likes the sims 4. I have never seen anywhere where he has said he doesn’t play the game anymore. (Game meaning any of the sims games)

It’s not a case of letting LGR make decisions for them - it’s about trying to get a balanced review, something of which it’s increasibgly hard to find these days.

I think James from the sim supply has very good non biased reviews, personally.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I don't get why people would see this as a deal-braker. Sure, it would have been nice to have snow accumulation and foggy windows, but it isn't essential (in literally any way besides just being a nice detail) to my game. Sometimes it feels like people are searching for something to complain about. We have Seasons! And each world has its own climate! I'm rejoicing just at that. And the gameplay that they've shown so far is so awesome! I'm so happy about swings and floral arranging! It really seems like this pack will seriously add so much to the game :smiley:
    @CK213 wrote: »
    But I will wait for a sale.
    I'm not paying full price.

I think unless you want it right away, waiting for a sale is the best thing to do.

The EPs are usually always on sale, I always picked up the Sims 3 EPs for half price not long after they came out in stories (they usually had a 2 for 1 deal on them).

They’re not worth full price (never have been). They have about 1/20 of the base games budget and are $10 less, lmao.

It’s not secret EA are stingy with DLC budgets despite the fact they charge a new games price every few months.

The only way it feels worth the price is if you want it early.

Otherwise I feel like RRP price will always leave people feeling a bit dissapointed lmao.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited May 2018
    Nope. It’s a small detail, and is just aesthetics.

Plus, winter is not my fave season, and I live in an areas thais more tropical weather and never snows. I enjoyed more the summer and spring activities of the past Sims games. :smile:

I’m more interested in the seasonal gameplay and activities, and in the Sims being effected by the weather, in this pack.

Oh, I can’t wait for a potential beach pack to follow in the future! :)

In the meantime, I’m looking forward to seeing the gameplay for this pack. (And I’ll be using a mod for mermaids. I loved the summer weather, ocean swimming, and mermaids in the Sims 3.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top