Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Karilan wrote: »
    chalicen wrote: »
    Ahhhh it's like it's less painful and scary to have no readers than to have people looking at my frankly terrible writing ><
    But thanks all for the advice and understanding. Maybe one day I'll work up the courage... Maybe.... Hopefully.

I read a lot of work! I'm probably following... I don't know, maybe over 100 SimLit blogs? Maybe more? I find the stories I truly love aren't necessarily the most technically perfect, or written by the most experienced writers (though some of the stories I love are superb in every category! :)<3 ).What draws me to a work is authenticity, love, honesty, sharing an individual's experience of the world, and being true. Those stories always grab me for they feel real, and I will not mind technical limitations or stylistic lapses, for I'm reading for the spirit! And if the spirit's true, the work works! :)

i must be in the not technically perfect category. wp tells me i spell ayden wrong. and i have spelled it the way the game does since he was born. the first time.

That's how it's spelled! Ayden! WordPress uses the standard American English dictionary, so it marks as not correct lots of words that are; they're just not standard spelling, like the name Ayden!

Is it Wordpress that does that? I write on my Mac at work, but then edit on my PC at home. Wordpress often thinks I'm wrong depending on how I change things so I figured it was a Mac/PC issue!

WordPress has its own spell-check, and it's rather limited. I'm constantly using words (generally scientific, but sometimes other Latinates), which it doesn't like, so I'm having to dash off to google to check the spelling.
    WordPress usually tells me I'm spelling stud wrong... but they're generally simlish words or character names, so I just ignore it :D

isn't there only one way to spell stud? it has two meanings but only one spelling i think.
    Whoops, that was an autocorrect error... I meant to say stuff

lol autocorrect is funny. did you ever tell your family your news you said you would at thaksgiving.
    Packet came the next day in the mail; parents wrapped it up as a present and gave it to me as well as a shirt from the university that my sister had picked out for herself. All the rest of the family found out via Facebook.

it took 24 hours to answer me. lol. its alright i'm excited for you.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @emorrill Thank you. I'm glad it was useful.

As for everything else you wrote, *hugs* and hang in there. Wishing you strength and peace.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • For_EorzeaFor_Eorzea Posts: 380 Member
    edited December 2017
    Plenty of saucers!

Plus, guess what? In the Tea Party house, I just adopted the very first stray we met... and guess what it's name is?
    Cookie! LOL! I resisted giving him the last name of Stadora!

Oops . I totally posted this in the wrong thread . You all have no idea what I'm talking about and the context in which this is relevant ! @Karilan this is in response to your question about saucers at the tea party ! @For_Eorzea I wanted you to see the name of the very first cat we met at the collab house. We adopted him!

Aw, I love him already... I've always wanted a cat, but cats are allergic to my mother.
    [And... I see what you did there, Cookiesteadore.]
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    Acarb90 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

So the past few weeks I have started to feel really discouraged with my story. When I first posted METRO back in June I had so many views and comments and I feel like people were more into it. Then I decided to reboot and for the first two chapters I was getting lots of feedback. Now when I post chapters I feel like I'm not getting any feedback or views. Like I get really excited when I post a good chapter (I thought my most recent one was the best since I had some funny scenes involving Sal and some really deep scenes involving Kendra), but then days go by with no comments or likes and it just really brings me down.

Also I used to be more involved with the writer's lounge, but I feel like my posts are getting looked over :( . I know it seems like I am just dumping updates and not really interacting with anyone else's stories, but there are just so many! I am catching up on my own, but its hard to talk about these stories since I am so far behind.

I loved making my reading circle and I really enjoyed talking with everyone that joined, but they all had at least 30+ chapters up already so I couldn't really start any discussions since I was still catching up. I think for me it's best to just read one story at a time.

Grr I hate feeling/talking like this because it sort of makes me look like an attention seeker. I just really don't know what to do so I posted here :(

Hi, @Acarb90 ! I've been thinking about your post since reading it late last night...

You can see from the replies you've gotten how common the experiences is with writers, especially those who got off on a bang, like you did!

In my own work, I notice that when I first start a story, it tends to get a lot of views (especially if it has cuteness in it, like a little alien toddler! LOL!). Then, as the work continues and begins to develop into its meaning and significance, the readership drops off. It often happens at the time that my own commitment to the work, and satisfaction in the writing of it, is increasing, which is kind of a funny coincidence, but which also makes sense. I realize that the things that mean a lot to me, and that I want to explore and develop in my writing, may have a limited appeal... whereas at the beginning, it's more wide open, so it can have a broader appeal.

I strongly believe in and encourage writing to write. Write the work. If you don't write it, no one will be able to read it. If you do write it, a few people might find it--and it might change their lives. And in the meantime, you will have had the valuable experience of developing and sticking with a work for its own sake, without a lot of external reward. It's a superb practice for a writer, and what we gain from staying with pieces that mean something to us, as the readers drop away, brings richness, maturity, skill, and a devotion to craft that can be lasting.

And, a more practical tip: Consider making your work visible to readers outside the Simming community. Your work, specifically, has qualities that will attract readers who aren't Simmers or SimLit fans. It stands on its own, and you don't need to have exclusively Simmers as your readers. A few things you might try: Use tags through WordPress's tagging attribute. Consider tags like Urban Fiction, City Stories, or maybe the names of bands you refer to? Or genres of music or lifestyle? You could also consider writing for one of WordPress's daily prompts, if it fits what you plan to write, anyway.

I've got a few nonSimming readers, who found my work through tags, or whose work I found through "Related Posts," and they've become very valued readers. It's very refreshing and healthy to get a broader perspective.

Another thing I try to remember, especially back in the days when I used to get discouraged because I saw readers I considered to be friends reading other stories, but not reading mine anymore, is that reading is a lot of work! Sometimes, the better a work is, the more demanding it is to read! All those connections, meanings, references--reading requires a lot of thinking! And as I watch myself as a reader, I find that sometimes when work I love has been updated, I simply have to postpone reading it until I have the time and energy that doing it justice will require. I might be able to scan and like and enjoy less demanding work, but the art takes a lot to process! :)

Oh! And about the Lounge! It's great for what it's designed to be, and it's really not designed to be a place for sustained conversation or to receive responses for every post one makes. It's very easy to get overlooked there (My posts generally are overlooked there.). So, that's why we created The Fringe. The Fringe has the custom that whoever posts replies to or responds to the post before them, so that way, no one is ever overlooked. It works really well, and it's a great place for quirky, off-the-beat, deeper, and thoughtful posts. You won't be overlooked there!

And it's not a matter of seeking or needing attention, is it? It's more a matter of wanting connection, wanting to share, wanting to contribute, right?
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Hi everyone

So the past few weeks I have started to feel really discouraged with my story. When I first posted METRO back in June I had so many views and comments and I feel like people were more into it. Then I decided to reboot and for the first two chapters I was getting lots of feedback. Now when I post chapters I feel like I'm not getting any feedback or views. Like I get really excited when I post a good chapter (I thought my most recent one was the best since I had some funny scenes involving Sal and some really deep scenes involving Kendra), but then days go by with no comments or likes and it just really brings me down.

Also I used to be more involved with the writer's lounge, but I feel like my posts are getting looked over :( . I know it seems like I am just dumping updates and not really interacting with anyone else's stories, but there are just so many! I am catching up on my own, but its hard to talk about these stories since I am so far behind.

I loved making my reading circle and I really enjoyed talking with everyone that joined, but they all had at least 30+ chapters up already so I couldn't really start any discussions since I was still catching up. I think for me it's best to just read one story at a time.

Grr I hate feeling/talking like this because it sort of makes me look like an attention seeker. I just really don't know what to do so I posted here :(

Hi, @Acarb90 ! I've been thinking about your post since reading it late last night...

You can see from the replies you've gotten how common the experiences is with writers, especially those who got off on a bang, like you did!

In my own work, I notice that when I first start a story, it tends to get a lot of views (especially if it has cuteness in it, like a little alien toddler! LOL!). Then, as the work continues and begins to develop into its meaning and significance, the readership drops off. It often happens at the time that my own commitment to the work, and satisfaction in the writing of it, is increasing, which is kind of a funny coincidence, but which also makes sense. I realize that the things that mean a lot to me, and that I want to explore and develop in my writing, may have a limited appeal... whereas at the beginning, it's more wide open, so it can have a broader appeal.

I strongly believe in and encourage writing to write. Write the work. If you don't write it, no one will be able to read it. If you do write it, a few people might find it--and it might change their lives. And in the meantime, you will have had the valuable experience of developing and sticking with a work for its own sake, without a lot of external reward. It's a superb practice for a writer, and what we gain from staying with pieces that mean something to us, as the readers drop away, brings richness, maturity, skill, and a devotion to craft that can be lasting.

And, a more practical tip: Consider making your work visible to readers outside the Simming community. Your work, specifically, has qualities that will attract readers who aren't Simmers or SimLit fans. It stands on its own, and you don't need to have exclusively Simmers as your readers. A few things you might try: Use tags through WordPress's tagging attribute. Consider tags like Urban Fiction, City Stories, or maybe the names of bands you refer to? Or genres of music or lifestyle? You could also consider writing for one of WordPress's daily prompts, if it fits what you plan to write, anyway.

I've got a few nonSimming readers, who found my work through tags, or whose work I found through "Related Posts," and they've become very valued readers. It's very refreshing and healthy to get a broader perspective.

Another thing I try to remember, especially back in the days when I used to get discouraged because I saw readers I considered to be friends reading other stories, but not reading mine anymore, is that reading is a lot of work! Sometimes, the better a work is, the more demanding it is to read! All those connections, meanings, references--reading requires a lot of thinking! And as I watch myself as a reader, I find that sometimes when work I love has been updated, I simply have to postpone reading it until I have the time and energy that doing it justice will require. I might be able to scan and like and enjoy less demanding work, but the art takes a lot to process! :)

Oh! And about the Lounge! It's great for what it's designed to be, and it's really not designed to be a place for sustained conversation or to receive responses for every post one makes. It's very easy to get overlooked there (My posts generally are overlooked there.). So, that's why we created The Fringe. The Fringe has the custom that whoever posts replies to or responds to the post before them, so that way, no one is ever overlooked. It works really well, and it's a great place for quirky, off-the-beat, deeper, and thoughtful posts. You won't be overlooked there!

And it's not a matter of seeking or needing attention, is it? It's more a matter of wanting connection, wanting to share, wanting to contribute, right?

hey i always respond to you in the lounge. sometimes its just sis i'm confused but that counts. lol :)
    hey i always respond to you in the lounge. sometimes its just sis i'm confused but that counts. lol :)

Well... usually! You do a great job at responding to folks, Sis!

I have had lots of times when I've posted lots in the lounge and no one has replied at all... or liked... but that's OK! It serves a different purpose and it's awesome at what it does!

Also, whenever I specifically tag you or reply to you ANYwhere, in any thread, you always reply! So you're awesome always! :)<3

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Acarb90Acarb90 Posts: 608 Member
    Thank you everyone. You really lifted my sprits <3

On my phone so ill wite a more detailed response later :wink:
    THIRTYT(2).png

I have had lots of times when I've posted lots in the lounge and no one has replied at all... or liked... but that's OK! It serves a different purpose and it's awesome at what it does!

Also, whenever I specifically tag you or reply to you ANYwhere, in any thread, you always reply! So you're awesome always! :)<3

just a little sissy teasing . i work all weekend now so i don't come here as much. or update. the trips are still in diapers.

well sometimes your hard to keep up with but i try. i wouldn't be a little spam sis if i didn't.

just a little sissy teasing . i work all weekend now so i don't come here as much. or update. the trips are still in diapers.

I always get confused when you say "the trips." I think you mean Trip! But I figured it out... triplets! :smiley:

• KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Hi everyone

Hi @Acarb90 ! There've been many wonderful responses but I will add my 2 cents.

I began to notice a drop in readership in October and at first I was a bit down about it. I think I'd been riding the high of constantly increasing readership, but I forgot how easy it was to notice the increase when I started at 0! My readership has since evened out all through November, which I'm happy to say I didn't notice until now. My only advice on this is to actually stop checking. I know how wonderful it feels to have readers who communicate, and I'd recommend continuing to appreciate those readers. Even if you get no comments or likes on your favorite chapter, make sure it still means something to you. <3

As for activity on the forums, I've recently talked about the slump I fell in and how overwhelming it became. I regret not speaking up sooner, because it led to a short break where I didn't even warn anyone. But I needed it. @simscognito has talked before about how being the social butterfly can increase readership and how volatile it can be. I also agree with the idea that this might not be something you want because it also comes with a sense of responsibility to continue being the social butterfly. Yes, it's a fact that being social and reading other's stories can gain you readers, but the return percentage is too low, and the time investment too long if it is not reading you would do anyway.

I'm struggling a lot to keep up with my reading list and some wonderful simmers here have helped me with that, and wonderful writers have been patient. @Cathytea gave wonderful advice recently about only keeping up with stories that interest you. Don't feel like you need to read everyone's work who reads yours, and don't feel like you need to read stories just to entice them to read your own.

Overall, I really love the people here on the forums because they are honest and encouraging.

You always have a place to come when you feel down!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison

I always get confused when you say "the trips." I think you mean Trip! But I figured it out... triplets! :smiley:

yeah i finally confused you. usually that goes the other way.

i actually thought you would know what it meant because i never seem to get past generation 3.

i actually thought you would know what it meant because i never seem to get past generation 3.

Yeah... you're playing a Trigacy! :) Start over every gen 3! :open_mouth:

Yeah... you're playing a Trigacy! :) Start over every gen 3! :open_mouth:

well my mods broke again. i think ayden does it .

why would trip be in diapers ?
  • MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited December 2017
    Hi everyone

It's okay to want attention. Humans are a social species. We're wired to want attention and to talk to others and to want recognition that we exist and that we matter and that what we do has meaning. You're normal and okay. :)

Like everyone else has said, we've all been there. Which it makes me happy to see people being honest about that, after all this time. :)

I don't know how helpful this will be to you since it's based in my experiences, but at this point in my Sims writing career I don't care about the stats page much at all, really, and I am happy as long as I have a few close friends who read and tell me their thoughts. I had a lot of readers once, and while it had its rewarding bits it was also an incredible amount of stress, and I still feel the effects of the stalking and the hate and the gossip and the ostracism that having all those readers brought all these years later, and I do not want to repeat the experience.

So these days I focus on the very few people I've found in the community who I can trust and who are decent and whose opinions I care about, and if I write for anyone other than me I write for them. So maybe it would help to find a few friends to focus on? Which I guess is what your reading circle ideally was going to be, but eh, things don't always work out the way we expect them to.

Also it can take time to make those few close friends, and a lot of it is down to luck and circumstance, really.

But hey, we have this thread, and personally I think that counts for a lot, having a space where you can be honest and be supported. I hope you find more readers soon.
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.

That's why I was confused! :D

That's why I was confused! :D

i work tomorrow and you get busy as soon as the next class gets set up. oh wait your in charge of when that happens. yeah i have til at least january. lol. i abreviated words some before but i do it more now because adulting almost everyday is hard.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @MedleyMisty It's nice to see you around here! <3
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Acarb90Acarb90 Posts: 608 Member
    @Friendsfan367 So true! I guess I just didnt realize it is the holidays lol. Whats funny is that while everyone else has their free time in the summer, I am the complete opposite. My job is much more stressful and hectic during the summer. I usually get home after a long day and dont have time to do anything xD.

@simscognito You are too kind! Do not apologize for your long response. I really do appreciate it :). Seriously, this boosted my confidence X100!! Btw your story has amazing screenshots too! It's actually on my reading list after I finally get through Ashes to Ashes (on gen3!)

@bugsie2016 No worries, I know you are a fan! I actually read most stories around 2am.....and I also post my stories around that time too lol. It's what simmers do I guess xD

@emorril That's really tough! I also use simlit as a de-stressor sometimes and it truly does help. Everyone has their vices to get them through this whole adulting thing :wink: and thank you for becoming a new fan! I hope you like the future chapters!

@Cathytea You always give great advice. You are like the simlit yoda lol I will definitely be taking all that into consideration. I have posted my story on the sims community facebook, but there are just too many posts that not many people saw it in time. I also tried tags, but I think you need a premium account or something?

@Karilan I too have noticed the dip, but now I realize that it's probably because everyone is busy with the holidays. Also I really agree with the "reading what you like "thing....I mean thats the point of simlit right? There is something for everyone!

@medleymisty I agree, I just wish I came here sooner so that I was on the same page as everyone lol. I really did like talking with everyone in my reading circle, but I think I may have been just a bit too ambitious. Its already hard for me to keep up with one story....I definitely cant take on 6! I think from now on I will use this thread, because everyone here is great. Also I noticed a spike in my views :wink:
    THIRTYT(2).png
    @Friendsfan367 So true! I guess I just didnt realize it is the holidays lol. Whats funny is that while everyone else has their free time in the summer, I am the complete opposite. My job is much more stressful and hectic during the summer. I usually get home after a long day and dont have time to do anything xD.

@simscognito You are too kind! Do not apologize for your long response. I really do appreciate it :). Seriously, this boosted my confidence X100!! Btw your story has amazing screenshots too! It's actually on my reading list after I finally get through Ashes to Ashes (on gen3!)

@bugsie2016 No worries, I know you are a fan! I actually read most stories around 2am.....and I also post my stories around that time too lol. It's what simmers do I guess xD

@emorril That's really tough! I also use simlit as a de-stressor sometimes and it truly does help. Everyone has their vices to get them through this whole adulting thing :wink: and thank you for becoming a new fan! I hope you like the future chapters!

@Cathytea You always give great advice. You are like the simlit yoda lol I will definitely be taking all that into consideration. I have posted my story on the sims community facebook, but there are just too many posts that not many people saw it in time. I also tried tags, but I think you need a premium account or something?

@Karilan I too have noticed the dip, but now I realize that it's probably because everyone is busy with the holidays. Also I really agree with the "reading what you like "thing....I mean thats the point of simlit right? There is something for everyone!

@medleymisty I agree, I just wish I came here sooner so that I was on the same page as everyone lol. I really did like talking with everyone in my reading circle, but I think I may have been just a bit too ambitious. Its already hard for me to keep up with one story....I definitely cant take on 6! I think from now on I will use this thread, because everyone here is great. Also I noticed a spike in my views :wink:

is that why your avis always asleep? sorry seemed like a good time to ask i only noticed a few days ago.
    @Acarb90 You can tag with the free account--that's what I've got. It's under Post Settings (or something like that), shows up in the right column when you click the Post Settings link. Then, you've got a place to set category (which helps for organizing related posts on your own site) and directly below that you can enter tags. No hashtag is used, and separate them with a comma. Works really well! :)

• simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member

Aww thanks @Acarb90 . Not sure about the latest screenshots. I edited half of them to night, because during taking the pictures, it became morning in the game. :D

Aww thanks @Acarb90 . Not sure about the latest screenshots. I edited half of them to night, because during taking the pictures, it became morning in the game. :D

i love that you told cathtea shes a short green web footed 900 year old jedi master.

but she is wise.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member

@Arcarb90 Oh I know I will. :) You really are a fantastic writer and have such an imagination, I can tell. :) And you won an award from what I understand? That's awesome!!!
    I'm thinking for my next story I should write in the first person like you do (is that how you say it?) it seems much easier to write that way. ;) If you ever have the time to check out my stories, you can view them on wordpress as well here :)
    Thank you. <3
    So are you working on the next chapter at the moment? :blush:

I need to start writing the next chapter in my Sam Beckett story because I miss him and I have readers wondering what's going to happen next. :p Slowly but surely I am getting out this funk.......

Reading other SimLit's sure has inspired me though! Go do it everyone if you feel you are stuck in a rut! ;)

Happy Writing!
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg