Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pet lifespans vary

JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
I've seen in several places that pet lifespans for the puppy/kitten and adult stages are:

Puppy/Kitten -- Adult
1.5 Days -- 12 Days -- Short
3 Days -- 24 Days -- Normal
12 Days -- 96 Days --Long

This is incorrect. They have no fixed number of days.

I tested this out with the control mod that allows you to see the ages of pets. I took 3 groups of 7 pets with a mix of 3-4 dogs/cats each. These were all newly created in CAP. I checked ages as puppies/kittens and then immediately aged them to adults in CAS/CAP to check ages again. Here's what I found:

There are definitely no set ages for pets....they all varied along a range. Also, cats have consistently longer lifespans. Here are the numbers that I saw:

Puppies/Kittens:

Short Lifespan: 0-1 days
Normal Lifespan: 1-2 days
Long Lifespan: 4-6 days for dogs; 5-6 days for cats

Keep in mind that there are still the additional days before the auto-aging kicks in once they are ready to age up. On long, this is typically 4 extra days. So that's why puppies and kittens generally age up after around 9-10 days total on long. For short, you're looking at somewhere between 1-2 days total and on normal, you're looking at 2-3 days total.

Dogs/Cats (Adult):

Short Lifespan: 9-10 days for dogs; 11-12 days for cats
Normal Lifespan: 17-20 days for dogs; 21-24 days for cats
Long Lifespan: 69-79 days for dogs; 88-94 days for cats

These numbers do not include the extra day or days for auto-aging after the pet has filled their age bar. You shouldn't get more than 1 extra day on normal....but long lifespan should add 4 extra days to the above numbers before the auto-aging takes place.

As with regular sims, the number of days for elder pets varies and I didn't test them.

Comments

• Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    My puppy just took 12 days to age up on long lifespan. I believe someone else may have commented that there puppy/kitten took 14 days.
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    The extra days for auto-aging on long will vary because the lifespans vary.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    but no match pets lifespan with sims lifespan?
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I was playing on normal and my puppy aged in just a little over a day so yeah, I think that's just about right
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    leo3487 wrote: »

Nope.....the lifespans are different for pets...they are shorter. If you create human sims, they all have the exact same number of days until age up based on whether you pick short, normal or long aging. For the pets, with the number of days for aging revealed by the mod, they all showed a different numbers of days for each pet.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »
    leo3487 wrote: »

Nope.....the lifespans are different for pets...they are shorter. If you create human sims, they all have the exact same number of days until age up based on whether you pick short, normal or long aging. For the pets, with the number of days for aging revealed by the mod, they all showed a different numbers of days for each pet.

Was it breed related?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • dallymunoz21dallymunoz21 Posts: 99 Member
    I'm sorry to put this question here but for some reason I can't post new threads, how often do the pets get sick?
    Cinebar wrote: »

Was it breed related?

Nope...just tried creating 7 of the same breed and they had varying lifespans.