Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Fringe

Comments

• Similla_Similla_ Posts: 37 Member
    hi everyone :) i have a lot to catch up on this post :D and im happy that this thread exist, thank you @CathyTea
    im am currently packing my bags because im leaving the island i was working on for 6 months to go home. today i already had to say bye to few of my closest friends i made here. im very introvert person and its not easy to make friends for me, but the memories i have from this place will stay with me forever. i also woke up at 6 am today just to go to the beach and watch the sun rise. it was AMAZING and breathtaking. im excited to leave and sad at the same time too, i cant wait to see my mom and dogs. kinda tiring to see them through computer screen all the time, i wanna hug them and kiss them :D
    while im packing and we dont have much left im also starting on a sims 4 story. i have my story outlined and i know how i want it to go, also i took a lot of pictures already and my first chapter is almost finished, maybe by the time i can start posting here i will have it finished, fingers crossed. i did wrote some stories in the past (sims 2), but i lost it. i wanted to find it back and read what i have written but its gone forever, even the blog it was on is gone, the only thing i remember is that it was about twin sisters, so now im definitely making sure i save it on drive and have it even if my laptop breaks :D
    so yeah, kinda messy, but thats what i have been up to :)
    tumblr_inline_ozdhvnXqXe1v8iihq_500.png
    It Just Makes Sense
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @Similla_ Welcome! I'm glad you weren't too discouraged after losing your ts2 stories. I hope you have some good times with your family and keep in touch with your friends!
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    edited October 2017
    @Pegasus143 How are you? I've been wanting to tell you that for that chamber music thing I mentioned, I've been paired with a violinist (who is 86 years young!) and we're playing a Breval duet! I love it very much! Maybe.... for our virtual (imaginary) chamber group we talk about, we could play it! :)

@Similla_ Hi! I'm glad you found this thread! How awesome to have spent the summer on an island. I spent many summers on an island, myself, and my sister lives on one now! :)

@15aewar Hiya! I'm so glad you brought up the topic of jealousy! It can be such a rich and valuable feeling for creative people!

I'm probably one of the elder members of this community (I'm past 55), so I have had decades to explore the specific wiring that contributes to feelings of jealousy and to examine what it contributes. What I've noticed is that these feelings are very beneficial: They point out to me something that I very much want or even need.

Case in point: With the chamber music project I'm currently in, I found myself feeling a twinge of jealousy when I heard that some of the other cellists were in quartets playing Beethoven! I LOVE Beethoven quartets... and I also think I'm probably not yet skilled enough to play them. :/ So I took special note when I felt jealous: this pointed out to me that A) I really, really, really want to play in a quartet, and B ) I really do want to become skilled enough to play Beethoven, and even Schubert and Brahms quartets. So, I have my work cut out for me--AND, due to the indicator of jealousy, I also see that I have the motivation! Jealousy points out to me what I care about--and when I pay attention to that, I can align my goals and my practices with those values and desires.

When it comes to writing, sometimes I feel jealous of other writers' sentences, paragraphs, or pacing.... and this lets me know that I really like what they've accomplished, and it points out what I want to work on more! I see it as an indicator: Pay attention to this! It's what you want to achieve!

After a few decades of viewing jealousy in this way, I've come to enjoy it--I always try to notice it, even if it's soft and gentle, and then I see how I can examine what it is that I want in my life that the jealousy points towards...

With most creative types, it seems inevitable that, somewhere along the way, we'll feel creative jealousy, so if we have a way to grow from that, it frees us up to take note, and then move past the uncomfortable feelings so we can truly appreciate what we're jealous of...

So, regarding your feelings, I can sure understand how you might want recognition for your writing! You've worked so hard at it! Writing SimLit takes so much work! Acknowledgement and appreciation really are important. And... now that you know that's important to you, you'll be able to continue with the practices, like continuing writing and participating in the SimLit community, so that you get recognition and appreciation!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @Pegasus143 How are you? I've been wanting to tell you that for that chamber music thing I mentioned, I've been paired with a violinist (who is 86 years young!) and we're playing a Breval duet! I love it very much! Maybe.... for our virtual (imaginary) chamber group we talk about, we could play it! :)

@Similla_ Hi! I'm glad you found this thread! How awesome to have spent the summer on an island. I spent many summers on an island, myself, and my sister lives on one now! :)

@15aewar Hiya! I'm so glad you brought up the topic of jealousy! It can be such a rich and valuable feeling for creative people!

I'm probably one of the elder members of this community (I'm past 55), so I have had decades to explore the specific wiring that contributes to feelings of jealousy and to examine what it contributes. What I've noticed is that these feelings are very beneficial: They point out to me something that I very much want or even need.

Case in point: With the chamber music project I'm currently in, I found myself feeling a twinge of jealousy when I heard that some of the other cellists were in quartets playing Beethoven! I LOVE Beethoven quartets... and I also think I'm probably not yet skilled enough to play them. :/ So I took special note when I felt jealous: this pointed out to me that A) I really, really, really want to play in a quartet, and B ) I really do want to become skilled enough to play Beethoven, and even Schubert and Brahms quartets. So, I have my work cut out for me--AND, due to the indicator of jealousy, I also see that I have the motivation! Jealousy points out to me what I care about--and when I pay attention to that, I can align my goals and my practices with those values and desires.

When it comes to writing, sometimes I feel jealous of other writers' sentences, paragraphs, or pacing.... and this lets me know that I really like what they've accomplished, and it points out what I want to work on more! I see it as an indicator: Pay attention to this! It's what you want to achieve!

After a few decades of viewing jealousy in this way, I've come to enjoy it--I always try to notice it, even if it's soft and gentle, and then I see how I can examine what it is that I want in my life that the jealousy points towards...

With most creative types, it seems inevitable that, somewhere along the way, we'll feel creative jealousy, so if we have a way to grow from that, it frees us up to take note, and then move past the uncomfortable feelings so we can truly appreciate what we're jealous of...

So, regarding your feelings, I can sure understand how you might want recognition for your writing! You've worked so hard at it! Writing SimLit takes so much work! Acknowledgement and appreciation really are important. And... now that you know that's important to you, you'll be able to continue with the practices, like continuing writing and participating in the SimLit community, so that you get recognition and appreciation!

what chamber music thing you do so many things i can't keep up?

I'm in an adult chamber music program! It's put on by our local chamber music society, and our coaches are grad students at the university or members of the local symphony. It's really fun! We have weekly practices with our coach for eight weeks, and then we have a performance! :open_mouth:

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

I'm in an adult chamber music program! It's put on by our local chamber music society, and our coaches are grad students at the university or members of the local symphony. It's really fun! We have weekly practices with our coach for eight weeks, and then we have a performance! :open_mouth:

thats awesome.

thats awesome.

Thank you! It literally is a dream-come-true! When I started playing cello seven years ago, this was half of my goal! (My real goal is to play in a quartet--but a duet is half-way there! :smiley: )

thats awesome.

Thank you! It literally is a dream-come-true! When I started playing cello seven years ago, this was half of my goal! (My real goal is to play in a quartet--but a duet is half-way there! :smiley: )

so excited for you.
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @CathyTea I'm glad your chamber thingy is working out well so far! My chamber group is going well as well. School's been pretty tiring so far, but otherwise it's been going fine. I'll give those duets a listen, though I'm sure they'd be wonderful for the imaginary pretend chamber group!
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    @CathyTea I'm glad your chamber thingy is working out well so far! My chamber group is going well as well. School's been pretty tiring so far, but otherwise it's been going fine. I'll give those duets a listen, though I'm sure they'd be wonderful for the imaginary pretend chamber group!

We're playing #1 in B-flat! The rondo minueto is super! :)

what does that mean in english? i don't speak cello.
  • KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    Congrats @CathyTea and @Pegasus143 ! Always fantastic when creative ventures are going well. I've never been musically or artistically inclined. I really love music and find it inspiring, but have never picked up playing an instrument well.

Any instruments for you @friendsfan367 ?
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison

what does that mean in english? i don't speak cello.

A rondo is like a round (like Row, Row, Row Your Boat) where one voice takes a theme, then the other voice follows. And a minueto is a minuet--in 3/4 time, like this Boom-pop-pop, Boom-pop-pop.

Karilan wrote: »
    Congrats @CathyTea and @Pegasus143 ! Always fantastic when creative ventures are going well. I've never been musically or artistically inclined. I really love music and find it inspiring, but have never picked up playing an instrument well.

no i tried violin in 3rd grade but mom my school music teacher and the woman giving me private lessons decided to let me quit.

writing is creative .
  • 15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    Always fantastic when creative ventures are going well. I've never been musically or artistically inclined. I really love music and find it inspiring, but have never picked up playing an instrument well.

writing is creative .

Took the words right out of my mouth!

And thank you guys so much for the support! @CathyTea @Karilan @AuroraLockwood @Pegasus143 @Meggles
    I guess I'll just have to keep on writing. <3
  • MedleyMistyMedleyMisty Posts: 1,188 Member
    @15aewar I found your story last week, and I quite like it. You've definitely got the Lovecraftian tone and vibe down. :)

I don't nominate people for awards. I don't usually do them, but on the odd occasion that I do, I usually end the post by saying that anyone who's reading my post and who wants to answer my questions or do the award meme can. Because I don't want to leave anyone out or hurt anyone's feelings.

So hey, if you want to do a Liebster Award post, here's mine from 2015, and you can answer the questions I asked in it. :)

https://medleymisty.wordpress.com/2015/11/17/liebster-award/
    Sometimes the darkness and I tell stories.
  • Similla_Similla_ Posts: 37 Member
    > @Pegasus143 said:
    > @Similla_ Welcome! I'm glad you weren't too discouraged after losing your ts2 stories. I hope you have some good times with your family and keep in touch with your friends!

thank you! and no, it kinda gives me that drive i need to write this one im working on now. i want it to be just as good and enjoyable for everyone else.

@CathyTea i can agree on your writing, there are so many writers i look up to and im jealous when i ready their stories and their story telling is sooo good and makes you want to just read more and more, and i wish i had the same way of story telling :)
    tumblr_inline_ozdhvnXqXe1v8iihq_500.png
    It Just Makes Sense
    Similla_ wrote: »
    > @Pegasus143 said:
    > @Similla_ Welcome! I'm glad you weren't too discouraged after losing your ts2 stories. I hope you have some good times with your family and keep in touch with your friends!

thank you! and no, it kinda gives me that drive i need to write this one im working on now. i want it to be just as good and enjoyable for everyone else.

@CathyTea i can agree on your writing, there are so many writers i look up to and im jealous when i ready their stories and their story telling is sooo good and makes you want to just read more and more, and i wish i had the same way of story telling :)

i used to make that mistake. you have to write for you and not worry your not as good as others.

the best advice i got was last week i was enjoying writing this one charater and was worried my readers would get bored if i stuck with him.

but jes2g said if you enjoy what your writing that will show . so write for you and don't worry your not cathtea. trust me her life is busy so be yourself.
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    Hello, @lisabee2. *waves back*

<3@AdamsEve1231 TY for the wave ...

and @friendsfan367 .. G'night John Boy <3 G'night Paw <3 G'night Maw <3

(LOL ref "hi. i like this rule it reminds me of the waltons. tv show because supposedly they went around saying goodnight back and forth. i haven't seen it."
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    Similla_ wrote: »
    > @Pegasus143 said:

i used to make that mistake. you have to write for you and not worry your not as good as others.

the best advice i got was last week i was enjoying writing this one charater and was worried my readers would get bored if i stuck with him.

but jes2g said if you enjoy what your writing that will show . so write for you and don't worry your not cathtea. trust me her life is busy so be yourself.

@cathytea and @Jes2g are wise women indeed. I agree! If you have fun they will have fun .. and then that makes you have MORE fun ... and THEN .. well you get it LOL

HUGS to the Fringe <3 later ya'll
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    Hello, @lisabee2. *waves back*

<3@AdamsEve1231 TY for the wave ...

and @friendsfan367 .. G'night John Boy <3 G'night Paw <3 G'night Maw <3

(LOL ref "hi. i like this rule it reminds me of the waltons. tv show because supposedly they went around saying goodnight back and forth. i haven't seen it."

this cracked me up yeah for 2 days the thread was just me and adam and eve saying hi and bye to each other .
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    *tip toes in*
    *discovers people talking about me*
    *runs to the nearest exit*

:p
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
    edited October 2017
    Jes2G wrote: »
    *tip toes in*

pulls you back you hide from me enough

pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and we only said nice things.
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Jes2G wrote: »
    *tip toes in*

pulls you back you hide from me enough

pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and we only said nice things.

I know. You know I run from the spotlight.
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr