We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
February 23rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Prep Schools and a good use for a 'tween age stage.

CK213CK213 Posts: 20,507 Member
This post is about and idea for sims attending prep school in prepartion for Univeristy, but the tween age stage plays a major role.
I keep seeing postings about there would no point for a tween stage despite all the simmers posting reasons why they want tweens.
My own view is:

Brady-Bunch-Girls-Jan-Cindy-and-Marcia-490x396.jpg

Call it the "Jan" Stage, and forget the other labels. :D
The stage between a Cindy (red) and a Marsha (blue)- too old for child activities, not old enough for TS4's more mature teen activities.
This stage will get full-blown middle child syndrome if there is a child and a teen in the family and is the stage for entry into a prep-school.
Prep.png

'Tween Age Stage.
Your sims become eligible for prep-school once they age up into this new age stage between child and teen.
I would love to see the headmaster scenario come back from TS2 to TS4 and it would be awesome to take it even further by allowing our sims to attend the private prep-schools from TS3 Generations, only this time we get to with our sims to a choice of several schools if we want to, or just send them on if we don't.

Prep schools prepare your sims for university. They gain skills and traits that will be useful for them in University. The traits the school is know for can only be earned if the sim does well at school. If they have poor achievement or misconduct they will have to choose other traits upon aging up.
Here's a list of Boarding Schools, their cost, and the skills and traits my Sims developed while enrolled.

Smuggsworth Prep School $1600
Traits: Charismatic, Snob. Gained skill levels in Logic, and later Charisma, Painting, and Writing. Got better at Chess and Homework. This Sim would be great for Journalism, Business, Medicine, and anything that uses one of these skills.

Fort Starch Military School $800
My Sim gained the Neat and Ambitious traits from military boarding school. She gained skill in Logic, and in the Teen years, Athletic, Gardening, Martial Arts, and Handiness. Military school will teach your Sim to salute other Sims. This Sim would be great for the Military, Law Enforcement, and anything that can use these skills in some way.
LeFromage Art School $1200
A school for making musicians, stars, and artsy types. My Sim learned Piano, Painting, Charisma, Sculpting, and Photography. Traits earned were Virtuoso and Star Quality, although other traits like Dramatic may appear. The Sim also gained hidden skill in dancing and club dancing from Late Night.

School of Peace and Love $800
Sims that go to this school can do the peace sign to other Sims. My Sim gained the Artistic and Vegetarian traits here. Skill gains were as you'd expect from a green/hippie school: Gardening, Guitar, Nectar Making, Fishing, Cooking, and Inventing.

Dribbledine Sports Academy $1200
Sim learned Handiness, Martial Arts, Fishing, Cooking, and Athletic skills. The child became Athletic, and later gained the Loves the Outdoors trait. Great for Athletics but could also work well for the science career depending how consistent fishing and handiness are.

This could be a new world renowned for its competing prep-schools. However, I would combine the LeFromage Art School and the School of Peace and Love to form a single new school. This would better suit TS4 world structure giving us 4 Prep-school campuses and 1 common community neighborhood where you can come across students from the various schools.

The prep-school experience will feel smaller than the University experience since your sim will mainly be at their school of choice and the common community area. University on the other hand will be one college taking up all the separate neighborhoods. What happens when your tween ages up to a teen? I don't know. Perhaps prep-school has facilities for tweens and teens, or maybe your tween graduates and continues teen life as a normal teen until they pack up for University. That's up to EA.

Now...
This all could be too much education for some simmers with Prep and Uni, so we should have the option of having them attended schools off screen and only visit with them when we feel we need or want to, like how interactive careers work. This way you can balance your game play as you like and things will feel fresh with so many choices available.
The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Comments

• FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    Wopeee... all these resources wasted to make a life stage all about school... these things totally couldn't be implemented for teens and children...
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,507 Member
    edited August 2017
    FloppyFish wrote: »
    Wopeee... all these resources wasted to make a life stage all about school... these things totally couldn't be implemented for teens and children...

And here it comes...
    The pre-teen police. :p

No they can't because children are too young and teens as they are now are too old.
    If you have nothing positive to contribute to build on the idea don't bother to post, or be reported for being off topic.
  • dg51829dg51829 Posts: 300 Member
    A prep-school would make more sense for a teenage sim. Maybe a boarding school for the tween stages would be a better idea. Kids would be too young to be able to attend needing to be around their parents to develop values and such.

From what my experience, this may differ for other people in different parts of the world, that kids (anyone under 18) that went prep-school it was more like a private school and was a day school. If you are thinking more on the lines of kids staying on a campus then it would be a boarding school.

Would we be controlling the kids at the school? This may be a tedious for some players if they have to play as the kid if they have adults in active careers or toddlers at the house.
  • FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

And here it comes...

No they can't because children are too young and teens as they are now are too old.
    If you have nothing positive to contribute to build on the idea don't bother to post, or be reported for being off topic.

And here it comes...

I don't have to positive. You bring up an idea, I say why it is a bad idea. That is discussion. I am not being off topic, I am still talking about preteens. Teens IMO aren't too old for prep school and children are about preteen age in my eyes so they aren't too young. Your idea is flawed
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

• Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    This is pretty much how I pictured preteens too. That middle child that isn't a full teen so she's not the favorite like Marsha, but she's not the youngest so she's not baby'ed like Cindy.

The current teens we have now feel more like Marsha and too old to be Cindy, so this sounds pretty neat.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    edited August 2017
    I think this is a really fun and creative idea. I would love to have this added to the game. Imagine being able to play the headmaster or teacher and trying to control all the students or playing the student and causing all kinds of chaos. The possibilities are endless.

Non family players could send their preteens and teens away to school and get them back when they age up to young adults.
    This idea is mainly about prep school/ private school.

I honestly don't care who attends, but like how TS2 university invented young adults to go to college, This would be an opportunity for a tween stage since children are two young, and the teens are at the end of the teen stage, there is a gap. Something is going to need to change. Either add another stage or make teens seem younger somehow.

Right now they look like they have already had all their first teen experiences and are currently on their 2nd and 3rd, or more, and are getting ready to depart the teen stage, not live it. :)
    michelei wrote: »
    I think this is a really fun and creative idea. I would love to have this added to the game. Imagine being able to play the headmaster or teacher and trying to control all the students or playing the student and causing all kinds of chaos. The possibilities are endless.

Non family players could send their preteens and teens away to school and get them back when they age up to young adults.

That would be interesting as a career. :)
    It would be fun to see the children of my other sims in school and not under my control.
    I guess it could be like the medical career, but hopefully the staff would be more involved. You could rise from different positions until you reach headmaster.
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    True, this reminds me of my original thoughts of middle school if we had a school pack. Since well at least where I am, middle school is around a 10-13 age range (like usually around the final grade your 13).

Ironically, I think YA worked so well the way they did because they were 'tested' first. they weren't originally packed with the game but University gave us a tester of a college student age.

I think this is a nice idea since it would obviously be a optional change and it's only bound to a school. It's the perfect tester for age group. I mean think about it...YA had absolutely no difference from adults other than college in it's early days, besides perhaps it's walkstyle...which now that I look back...how many people actually walk like that? :lol: .

Very interesting points CK.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
    dg51829 wrote: »
    A prep-school would make more sense for a teenage sim. Maybe a boarding school for the tween stages would be a better idea. Kids would be too young to be able to attend needing to be around their parents to develop values and such.

From what my experience, this may differ for other people in different parts of the world, that kids (anyone under 18) that went prep-school it was more like a private school and was a day school. If you are thinking more on the lines of kids staying on a campus then it would be a boarding school.

Would we be controlling the kids at the school? This may be a tedious for some players if they have to play as the kid if they have adults in active careers or toddlers at the house.

Boarding school works for me.
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    edited August 2017
    I think it would wonderful if players were given a choice. If you wanted to play at the boarding school you could do so or you could just send your student off and see them later when they age up. You could maybe have them come back home for weekend visits, holidays or special events like weddings.
  • sophiechrisblacksophiechrisblack Posts: 1 New Member
    I agree. Defineltely have a tween stage and also maybe a college pack. Maybe there could be a college town and paying for a college education. Also the jobs that come from the education could pay better.
    michelei wrote: »
    I think it would wonderful if players were given a choice. If you wanted to play at the boarding school you could do so or you could just send your student off and see them later when they age up. You could maybe have them come back home for weekend visits, holidays or special events like weddings.

Yes, I think that is very important. :)
    You can focus your game where you want it and it things very flexible. I can see myself playing a household and perhaps focusing on a particular child and their advancement, while in another household I may want to focus on a parent's medical career. How you play could vary make rounds of simming different form each other.

It could see myself going the send-them-away option in large households.
  • fifilacotafifilacota Posts: 47 Member
    I don't have a strong opinion about tweens, but I do miss the headmaster/private school part of the storyline. Why am I even working to get my sims A's if it has no effect on the game play?
    2lub093.png
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    This is a great idea. I like the idea of boarding schools, where you can send your tween or teen sims off to the school and you don't have to see them again in that household. Maybe they can visit on weekends or special holidays (kind of like uni). We should also have the option to play that sim when they are in school, build our own boarding schools, have our sims work at or own the schools. I am thinking that this would be really fun and make those life stages a lot more interesting. I also think sims should be able to get kicked out of school for either really bad grades or they misbehave a lot. Imagine owning the boarding school and you have to look after these children and make sure the school is not in chaos. That would be so fun to do.

This should be in one pack together with uni and that pack should focus on our sim's education and how it affects their life. For example, imagine your sim gets a bad grade and graduate with it then they should be left with serious consequences that would make gameplay more fun and unpredictable.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I have one question is boarding school or private school optional?
  • Madbos46Madbos46 Posts: 2 New Member
    I REALLY, REALLY LOVE THIS IDEA!! I HOPE EA DOES IT SOON... LIKE YESTERDAY....
  • PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    This post is about and idea for sims attending prep school in prepartion for Univeristy, but the tween age stage plays a major role.
    I keep seeing postings about there would no point for a tween stage despite all the simmers posting reasons why they want tweens.
    My own view is:

Brady-Bunch-Girls-Jan-Cindy-and-Marcia-490x396.jpg

Call it the "Jan" Stage, and forget the other labels. :D
    The stage between a Cindy (red) and a Marsha (blue)- too old for child activities, not old enough for TS4's more mature teen activities.
    This stage will get full-blown middle child syndrome if there is a child and a teen in the family and is the stage for entry into a prep-school.
    Prep.png

'Tween Age Stage.
    Your sims become eligible for prep-school once they age up into this new age stage between child and teen.
    I would love to see the headmaster scenario come back from TS2 to TS4 and it would be awesome to take it even further by allowing our sims to attend the private prep-schools from TS3 Generations, only this time we get to with our sims to a choice of several schools if we want to, or just send them on if we don't.

Prep schools prepare your sims for university. They gain skills and traits that will be useful for them in University. The traits the school is know for can only be earned if the sim does well at school. If they have poor achievement or misconduct they will have to choose other traits upon aging up.

@CK213 , I love your Brady Bunch analogy! <3 (Even though I'm a youngest child, I always identified with Jan! She's my favorite and had much better hair than Marcia! :p )
    Yes, my oldest brother went to prep school but it was only for high school so he was 14 when he started and 18 by graduation. It was not a boarding school though. But I do like your idea for this type of school for pre-teens, since as things are I don't see much point in having a pre-teen stage. Your prep-school idea would give pre-teens a reason for being in the game. If they ever add pre-teens, I hope they give them lots of unique stuff like this to make them worth while! B)
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • CuriousSimmerCuriousSimmer Posts: 2 New Member
    >@PugLove888 said:
    But I do like your idea for this type of school for pre-teens, since as things are I don't see much point in having a pre-teen stage.

What was the point of toddlers then? Everyone begged for toddlers and there really is not point to have them.
  • PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    edited September 2017
    >@PugLove888 said:
    But I do like your idea for this type of school for pre-teens, since as things are I don't see much point in having a pre-teen stage.

What was the point of toddlers then? Everyone begged for toddlers and there really is not point to have them.

@CuriousSimmer , Toddler is an extremely important and different stage of life. Toddlers look and act very different from school-aged children. They are vastly different from the object-like newborns in the game! :o They aren't simply a little bit of the previous life-stage and a little bit of the next life-stage. However, pre-teen behavior is a little bit of both elementary school kids and teens. They do all the same activities that both do. In my opinion, we don't really need the young adult stage in the game unless we have a college/university to send them to. ;)

Pre-teen is a recent concept, and isn't shared by the entire world. To many people, once you start adolescence both biologically and emotionally/psychologically you are basically a teenager even if you are only 11. ( We just in the English speaking world don't call numbers "teens" until 13. This decade we are in is the "teens" and started in 2010 and will go to 2019, just like the decade of the 20's will be from 2020 to 2029. ) The age periods in the game would be better described as "childhood" and "adolescence", but teen is just easier to say. In reality adolescence can occur in a wide range of ages, but for simplicity's sake must be defined a bit narrower in the game.

The purpose of toddlers in the game is to gain skills to prepare your young Sims to go to school and interact with other Sims. Before toddlers were in the game, Sims went from a baby/bassinet object to a child ready for school. :s It was extremely odd and a bit creepy in many peoples opinions. The gap in abilities was way too great to justify this instantaneous leap. This is not the case with any other age group, least of all pre-teens and young adults.
    Happy Simming! :)
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,586 Member
    PugLove888 wrote: »
    >@PugLove888 said:

@CuriousSimmer , Toddler is an extremely important and different stage of life. Toddlers look and act very different from school-aged children. They are vastly different from the object-like newborns in the game! :o They aren't simply a little bit of the previous life-stage and a little bit of the next life-stage. However, pre-teen behavior is a little bit of both elementary school kids and teens. They do all the same activities that both do. In my opinion, we don't really need the young adult stage in the game unless we have a college/university to send them to. ;)

Pre-teen is a recent concept, and isn't shared by the entire world. To many people, once you start adolescence both biologically and emotionally/psychologically you are basically a teenager even if you are only 11. ( We just in the English speaking world don't call numbers "teens" until 13. This decade we are in is the "teens" and started in 2010 and will go to 2019, just like the decade of the 20's will be from 2020 to 2029. ) The age periods in the game would be better described as "childhood" and "adolescence", but teen is just easier to say. In reality adolescence can occur in a wide range of ages, but for simplicity's sake must be defined a bit narrower in the game.

The purpose of toddlers in the game is to gain skills to prepare your young Sims to go to school and interact with other Sims. Before toddlers were in the game, Sims went from a baby/bassinet object to a child ready for school. :s It was extremely odd and a bit creepy in many peoples opinions. The gap in abilities was way too great to justify this instantaneous leap. This is not the case with any other age group, least of all pre-teens and young adults.
    Happy Simming! :) [/quot

The way I see it is Pre-teens stage is important because that's when most develope from being a young kid to a teenager that's the transition stage. The term Pre-teens existed in the 50's it just wasn't a popular term probably only a handful still say it today but that doesn't mean it never existed. A lot of people say I don't see Pre-teens doing anything different I'm not speaking personally but maybe if you give them a chance and see what they have to offer instead of just shooting idea down.
  • BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz Posts: 303 Member
    Ooo sounds interesting. A tween stage would be cool too.
    > @FloppyFish said:
    > CK213 wrote: »
    >
    > FloppyFish wrote: »
    >
    > Wopeee... all these resources wasted to make a life stage all about school... these things totally couldn't be implemented for teens and children...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And here it comes...
    > The pre-teen police. :p
    >
    > No they can't because children are too young and teens as they are now are too old.
    > If you have nothing positive to contribute to build on the idea don't bother to post, or be reported for being off topic.
    >
    >
    >
    > CK213 wrote: »
    >
    > FloppyFish wrote: »
    >
    > Wopeee... all these resources wasted to make a life stage all about school... these things totally couldn't be implemented for teens and children...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And here it comes...
    > The pre-teen police. :p
    >
    > No they can't because children are too young and teens as they are now are too old.
    > If you have nothing positive to contribute to build on the idea don't bother to post, or be reported for being off topic.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I don't have to positive. You bring up an idea, I say why it is a bad idea. That is discussion. I am not being off topic, I am still talking about preteens. Teens IMO aren't too old for prep school and children are about preteen age in my eyes so they aren't too young. Your idea is flawed

How are you going to say someone's idea is flawed when you have point out the flaws? Their idea isn't flawed. You don't like it because you don't support the idea of preteens/tweens. You may not like but other people do. Nothing revolves around you, okay?
    edited September 2017
    edited
    Post edited by BuzzBuzz on
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I think adding active schools would be awesome. It could work like the GTW Expansion. You can have a Sim Elementary for child Sims, Sim High for your new life stage and teens, and have a new daycare venue for toddlers where you can own and operate your own daycare. Plus adding in the Teacher career.
    WbUrFQm.png