Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What the heck? Laundry?

I really didnt like many of the voting options. I didnt vote cause i couldnt decide but hwo wants to buy a SP thats all about laundry, If life was just a base game and you had to buy features in your life would you rather buy having to do the laundry or skip out? i mean who want to do their laundry irl let alone in sims. I hated doing it in ts3 and always deleted the washing machines but come on guys really? this is why i stick with ts3. not very happy with this

Comments

• rp_girlrp_girl Posts: 103 Member
    Get in line
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited July 2017
    If you don't want it, don't buy it. It's that simple.

And you know what; I am pretty sure a lot of people will buy it anyway.
    And a lot of stories and comments will pour in how they love the SP (like always).

And about chores;

The Sims has a lot of ''chores'' already in game.

Cleaning sinks,tubs,showers etc.
    Taking out the trash;
    Fixing broken stuff;
    Tending the garden;
    Mopping up puddles;
    Cleaning up the mess left behind when fixing objects etc etc.

Any fuss about that? No.
    Some people don't like Laundry, and that is fine. Don't put a washing machine and hamper on your lot if you don't want to do Laundry. Easy.

Or even better; don't buy it at all.

Laundry is what we're getting, and there are enough people who obviously want Laundry, because otherwise it wouldn't have won the voting.

It's like Laundry is the new Toddlers, but just the other way around (at least here on these forums). How hard people scream not wanting it, or at least not in a Stuff Pack..

We're getting 10 000 more stuff packs, so if this one isn't the one for you, just skip.

Oh yeah and another thing: The Sims is a life simulator. No, it is not a one-on-one copy of real life, because it has its own weird stuff, but it is a life simulator. Chores are meant to be there.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    My sims struggle to keep up with washing their dirty dishes.
    I think I'm gonna be avoiding the laundry pack.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »

And about chores;

Taking out the trash;
    Fixing broken stuff;
    Tending the garden;
    Mopping up puddles;

EA knew about those chores, they gives us chores but they also gives us 'solution' like Butler, they sell us chores and sold in a millions of copies in a few days and then sell us solution also sold in a millions copies in a few days... very very smart strategy ;)

The Sims Game
  • danibostoniandanibostonian Posts: 145 Member

And a lot of stories and comments will pour in how they love the SP (like always).

And about chores;

Taking out the trash;
    Fixing broken stuff;
    Tending the garden;
    Mopping up puddles;

Any fuss about that? No.
    Some people don't like Laundry, and that is fine. Don't put a washing machine and hamper on your lot if you don't want to do Laundry. Easy.

Laundry is what we're getting, and there are enough people who obviously want Laundry, because otherwise it wouldn't have won the voting.

It's like Laundry is the new Toddlers, but just the other way around (at least here on these forums). How hard people scream not wanting it, or at least not in a Stuff Pack..

We're getting 10 000 more stuff packs, so if this one isn't the one for you, just skip.

Oh yeah and another thing: The Sims is a life simulator. No, it is not a one-on-one copy of real life, because it has its own weird stuff, but it is a life simulator. Chores are meant to be there.

You really dont get what im saying. This is a waste of an SP. We could put laundry with an SP not make a whole SP just for laundry. SERRRIOUSLY
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Laundry apparently is now eco friendly
    21mbz47.jpg
    edited July 2017

And about chores;

Taking out the trash;
    Fixing broken stuff;
    Tending the garden;
    Mopping up puddles;

Any fuss about that? No.

You really dont get what im saying. This is a waste of an SP. We could put laundry with an SP not make a whole SP just for laundry. SERRRIOUSLY

How? SP's have one or two (some some sometimes 3) gameplay objects/gameplay related things, and that's most likely not going to be different this time around.

You still get the usual; new clothing, new hairstyles, new objects, and yes, Laundry Machines (and maybe, because that was the idea) also 'Eco friendly' alternatives, such as a washtub and clothesline.

So; also; to all people complaining about laundry not being 'eco friendly', think again, because EA is going to give you the 'eco friendly' alternative too.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member

And about chores;

Taking out the trash;
    Fixing broken stuff;
    Tending the garden;
    Mopping up puddles;

Any fuss about that? No.

How? SP's have one or two (some some sometimes 3) gameplay objects/gameplay related things, and that's most likely not going to be different this time around.

You still get the usual; new clothing, new hairstyles, new objects, and yes, Laundry Machines (and maybe, because that was the idea) also 'Eco friendly' alternatives, such as a washtub and clothesline.

So; also; to all people complaining about laundry not being 'eco friendly', think again, because EA is going to give you the 'eco friendly' alternative too.

It just occurred to me that they didn't have a voting for hairstyles. :O The pack better have some good male hairstyles. Cuz I need that. I wouldn't be too mad to spend $10 if so. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • IzzabelleIzzabelle Posts: 153 Member
    edited July 2017
    While this is true, it doesn't mean people can't still voice their dislike of content and/or offer up criticism or feedback. It's that simple.

Taking out the trash;
    Fixing broken stuff;
    Tending the garden;
    Mopping up puddles;

Any fuss about that? No.
    I'm sure if you go far back enough into the forums in the long forgotten threads of Sims 4 base game release era, you can find complaints about all of these things. Assuming they weren't wiped or auto-deleted.

I can't speak on behalf of everyone opposed to laundry, but the point is not that we don't have/already have chores. The point is that the game feels balanced with the chores that already exist. Laundry, in some people's view, upsets that balance -- meaning you'd have to sacrifice more hobby/social/career time to take care of a chore that otherwise offers no game-play benefit toward those aforementioned game-play branches.

True, you can avoid placing the game-play feature on your lot and then the Laundry mechanic won't activate. But then you don't really have a game-play item at all for this pack.

Not that everyone places every game-play feature on their lots anyways, but for a community-driven pack -- this kind of "suck it up and take it or leave it" attitude is a poor compromise all considering.

And while it's also true that you don't have to buy the pack; as a participant -- maybe you voted and enjoyed other results. Some people can say "I don't like laundry, I'm not buying the pack", but others may have reservations if they voted on and enjoyed the build objects, for example. It's not as cut and dry for a lot of people as "don't like it, don't buy it".
    Eh. This isn't necessarily true...

Let's say for example the vote results looked like this
    • Laundry - 100 votes
    • Canning - 50 votes
    • Off the Grid - 50 votes
    • Recycling - 50 votes

Laundry won over every other feature by double the votes! Must mean enough people wanted laundry! But not quite. The total number of votes is 250. Over half of the voters wanted something other than Laundry.

This is the most common way voting results vs interest is distorted. Standard voting is more about immediate results, and is usually better utilized with only 2 competing choices.

I won't dive too far into the cons of vote systems -- every method has it's own weaknesses. Then to get into the whole idea behind voter influence, available information, regional discrepancy... it's a lot. But it would be folly to assume any of the results (not just Laundry) were what the community as a whole wanted for sure.

The voting is simply a means to an end to decidedly pick a result.
    It's like Laundry is the new Toddlers, but just the other way around (at least here on these forums). How hard people scream not wanting it, or at least not in a Stuff Pack.
    Well. It *is* a community voted pack. It's going to be a contentious thing. Honestly, the forums would just flip if Canning won. Laundry lovers would post their disappointment that laundry wasn't included.

The compromises surrounding a game-play object are just too far outside of what a SP team could do, or too far outside of what the community would want.
    SPs, GPs, and EPs are a limited resource to consumers. The Sims 4 will likely not be supported forever, as the teams will likely move on to Sims 5.

This is another reason why laundry lovers AND users opposed to laundry are so vehement that certain features be added as quickly as possible. Sims 4 is going on 3 years old soon. That's actually a mid-ling age for a large game. Eventually the SPs, GPs, and EPs will stop coming. And when that day comes -- that's it for features. What you have is what you get.

Some people feel that because of this -- laundry (a chore that potentially distorts the game's chore balance, or might otherwise be not engaging, or not representative of the community base) is a poor choice to include when the alternative could be something unique, new, or not chore related.
    True, and for a lot of people, laundry is crossing the line that Sims plays with between real life simulation and enjoyable game.

Think for a moment; where is the line drawn for you?

Vacuuming? No? what if they add Sweeping on top of it? Taxes on top of that? Telemarketer Calls next? Waiting for IT support after that? Changing health care providers?

The line is different for lots of people. Laundry is that line for some expressing their disappointment here.
    Just because there is an eco-friendly alternative, doesn't mean it's eco friendly to begin with. Laundry, as stated and supported multiple times throughout this forum, is not anything that most anyone immediately associates with being Eco (the winning theme of the pack).

If we were to base the game-play object specifically off of the winning theme; recycling and off the grid have a much more solid foundation of theme and association in which to stand on than laundry does.
    Post edited by Izzabelle on
    ZU6MUcP.gif
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    @rudy8292 I'm so sick of this "don't like it don't buy it" crap. You DO NOT get to tell people what to do with their money or time. You aren't even offering an opinion here, you're basically just telling the OP to shut up.
  • rp_girlrp_girl Posts: 103 Member
    @rudy8292 I'm so sick of this "don't like it don't buy it" plum. You DO NOT get to tell people what to do with their money or time. You aren't even offering an opinion here, you're basically just telling the OP to shut up.

His/Her point is that there is no need to complain about having a laundry pack when you don't have to buy it.Their not telling people what to do with their money or their time.
    edited July 2017
    rp_girl wrote: »
    @rudy8292 I'm so sick of this "don't like it don't buy it" plum. You DO NOT get to tell people what to do with their money or time. You aren't even offering an opinion here, you're basically just telling the OP to shut up.

His/Her point is that there is no need to complain about having a laundry pack when you don't have to buy it.Their not telling people what to do with their money or their time.

Exactly. It's not like I love every single pack they put out.

If I don't care, I don't buy. You are in no way forced to buy it.

Sometimes I wonder what all the anti laundry people expect what will happen?

Complain long enough so they get their way and EA says: Oh well, since so many people over on the forums are complaining about it, agh let's just revert everything and just skip the laundry and make canning instead?

What exactly do people want to happen? Do they want this SP to be gone? Or do they simply want canning or whatever else they may have voted for in a different pack? Because yes, it is possible they will use ideas again for different packs.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2017
    I really didnt like many of the voting options. I didnt vote cause i couldnt decide but hwo wants to buy a SP thats all about laundry, If life was just a base game and you had to buy features in your life would you rather buy having to do the laundry or skip out? i mean who want to do their laundry irl let alone in sims. I hated doing it in ts3 and always deleted the washing machines but come on guys really? this is why i stick with ts3. not very happy with this

Agree - especially in a pack based on the THEME of Eco Friendly we get Laundry Machines! Solar panels, wind turbines, water pumps and wells lose.

The sarcastic don't like it, don't buy it crowd - tend to forget this was a special pack - not just any other pack and we already had been VOTING on the creation of a pack - that's the laundry lovers solution even for this special pack. Nothing like stabbing you in the heart with a knife and then twist it with THOSE words. They get laundry - that's all that matters. Too bad the pack wasn't a choice between laundry - and pets or seasons - then perhaps they would know how it feels. They'd probably still pick laundry. But that is to me how the main objects don't even relate and should not ever have been against each other in an eco friendly pack. 3 choices were under Eco friendly practices up against -the not eco friendly laundry - but they toss in hand washing to try and make it look more eco friendly. This pack is a big joke - especially seeing how the styles we voted in thus far does not fit a laundry pack, or so I see the laundry lovers complaining any way.

They could have added laundry to almost any ep and some gps even - but adding laundry to an eco friendly sp which usually has just one central idea and this one was ECO FRIENDLY would have been like adding a Swings to the Bowling pack or an adults only game to the kids stuff pack - etc. They did not do those kind of things in the previous SPs for Sims 4 - so why do this in an ECO Friendly pack.

The actual only ECO friendly alternative is an ECO friendly Laundromat - not wash tubs. Wash tubs still waste water and don't go giving me the grey water garbage - neither are allowed in the eco villages where I live. Last I heard the sps laundry machines are only usable on home lots in this pack. By rights laundry should have been in the GTW ep and had a laundromat as one of the business options.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited July 2017
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Agree - especially in a pack based on the THEME of Eco Friendly we get Laundry Machines! Solar panels, wind turbines, water pumps and wells lose.

The sarcastic don't like it, don't buy it crowd - tend to forget this was a special pack - not just any other pack and we already had been VOTING on the creation of a pack - that's the laundry lovers solution even for this special pack. Nothing like stabbing you in the heart with a knife and then twist it with THOSE words. They get laundry - that's all that matters. Too bad the pack wasn't a choice between laundry - and pets or seasons - then perhaps they would know how it feels. They'd probably still pick laundry. But that is to me how the main objects don't even relate and should not ever have been against each other in an eco friendly pack. 3 choices were under Eco friendly practices up against -the not eco friendly laundry - but they toss in hand washing to try and make it look more eco friendly. This pack is a big joke - especially seeing how the styles we voted in thus far does not fit a laundry pack, or so I see the laundry lovers complaining any way.

They could have added laundry to almost any ep and some gps even - but adding laundry to an eco friendly sp which usually has just one central idea and this one was ECO FRIENDLY would have been like adding a Swings to the Bowling pack or an adults only game to the kids stuff pack - etc. They did not do those kind of things in the previous SPs for Sims 4 - so why do this in an ECO Friendly pack.

The actual only ECO friendly alternative is an ECO friendly Laundromat - not wash tubs. Wash tubs still waste water and don't go giving me the grey water garbage - neither are allowed in the eco villages where I live. Last I heard the sps laundry machines are only usable on home lots in this pack. By rights laundry should have been in the GTW ep and had a laundromat as one of the business options.

Haha, no. If it was between Seasons or Pets or Laundry I would have chosen Seasons, because Pets and Laundry I can live without.

The reason I voted laundry (can't speak for the other voters) is because the other ideas didn't appeal to me.

- They could have added Butlers to City Living
    - They could have added Bowling in Get Together
    - They could have saved Hottubs for Seasons
    - They could have added the waterslide to Seasons too
    - They could have added the Kids Room stuff to Parenthood
    - They could have, they could have, they could have.

With everything they add they could have added it into some sort of EP or GP. However we all know how EA handles the Sims 4, and they like adding well selling features to SP's this time.

You know what; the only thing we have to do when voting about the name of the SP, is to vote for something Laundry related. So it has lost its eco hype.

Also the thing I mentioned in another thread already; If Laundry was in the ''Sugar and Spice'' category when it came to the theme selection, people would have voted that, and it still would have won.

The whole ECO friendly whatever was just an ''umbrella term''. I agree they could have added Laundry to the Home pack whatever theme, but what does it change?

Laundry would have won regardless anyway when it came down to the voting about the gameplay objects.

But again the question;

What do people want from EA? What do the anti laundry people want to achieve? Honest question.. do they want this SP to go? Do they want a revote? Do they want them to scrap it all together? Do they want some reassurance about the rest of the stuff that didn't win still being possible future content? Do they want the theme of this pack to change?

I wish people would answer those questions.

From what I understood reading most of the posts are people being really afraid that we will never ever get some of the alternatives anymore. So, no canning, no water well, no whatever else there was to vote on.

How many times did @SimGuruGraham explain already that stuff that does not make it into a pack, isn't 100% gone forever. They are still ideas, and they can consider them again when releasing future packs. If they see how popular some of the ideas are, they might consider adding them in future packs as gameplay features.
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    edited July 2017

Haha, no. If it was between Seasons or Pets or Laundry I would have chosen Seasons, because Pets and Laundry I can live without.

The reason I voted laundry (can't speak for the other voters) is because the other ideas didn't appeal to me.

- They could have added Butlers to City Living
    - They could have added Bowling in Get Together
    - They could have saved Hottubs for Seasons
    - They could have added the waterslide to Seasons too
    - They could have added the Kids Room stuff to Parenthood
    - They could have, they could have, they could have.

With everything they add they could have added it into some sort of EP or GP. However we all know how EA handles the Sims 4, and they like adding well selling features to SP's this time.

You know what; the only thing we have to do when voting about the name of the SP, is to vote for something Laundry related. So it has lost its eco hype.

Also the thing I mentioned in another thread already; If Laundry was in the ''Sugar and Spice'' category when it came to the theme selection, people would have voted that, and it still would have won.

The whole ECO friendly whatever was just an ''umbrella term''. I agree they could have added Laundry to the Home pack whatever theme, but what does it change?

Laundry would have won regardless anyway when it came down to the voting about the gameplay objects.

But again the question;

What do people want from EA? What do the anti laundry people want to achieve? Honest question.. do they want this SP to go? Do they want a revote? Do they want them to scrap it all together? Do they want some reassurance about the rest of the stuff that didn't win still being possible future content? Do they want the theme of this pack to change?

I wish people would answer those questions.

From what I understood reading most of the posts are people being really afraid that we will never ever get some of the alternatives anymore. So, no canning, no water well, no whatever else there was to vote on.

How many times did @SimGuruGraham explain already that stuff that does not make it into a pack, isn't 100% gone forever. They are still ideas, and they can consider them again when releasing future packs. If they see how popular some of the ideas are, they might consider adding them in future packs as gameplay features.

Say that to the art style and the objects we voted on.

People are still complaining because they didn't feel the game feature voting was totally fair, and if they don't complain it's bound to happen again. They're showing their voices to show the majority wasn't listened if we interpret the results. As this is a community pack it's essencial to have people discussing all the process. The hope of getting the rest further exists regardless of complaining, it's not the reason itself.

People are still complaining for they don't think the overall result is positive, and how can we judge their value when the theme (yes, theme) and the game feature don't make sense together to begin with? This voting was fated to start a riot, either of those options had won.

Some may claim that the arguing isn't productive. But what about the arguing over the arguing? It'd be only less. It's not like the discussion is something shallow or vague, what I see all around are really good arguments that anyone with discernment could take on count and at least learn something -- that's what we want, right?
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • phantom121294phantom121294 Posts: 151 Member

Well...I mean....you just kinda proved the point of people who disliked laundry being on the list.

It totally invalidates the rest of the options on the vote. If you could put laundry in any of the pack ideas, even dangerous stuff, it would have won and the people would have just voted away the name and the rest of the features.

I mean don't you find this all counter intuitive. Vote the eco pack just because it had laundry, and then vote everything out that involved being eco friendly including the name. I mean lol this is just absurd at this point.

I am honestly glad you at least told the truth.

You wanna know the biggest problem most people had with this. It wasn't laundry. It was the fact that we had all these new and equal ideas, and laundry, to vote for a pack. As the user DeservedCritism stated in his thread they could have done an expansion pack instead, let the community pick between 5 new ideas and seasons/pets. Which do you think would have won?

I like the voting and im okay if my idea doesn't get picked, I am an adult med school student I have bigger issues than choice for a SP not being popular. But what really grinds my gears is the fact the vote wasn't really fair, no one really had a choice. Just the illusion of one.

5 brand new ideas, you get the vote on is a fair vote because the competitors are all on even ground.
    Specs: i9-9900k, SLI 2080ti MSI SeaHawk EK X, 32g 3000hz Corsair RAM, 2TB M.2 Samsung SSD, EVGA 1600W. Custom loop done by myself with dual 560mm radiators.
    JOVa2Sn.jpg

• NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @Writin_Reg
    They can add the rest to any kind of EP/GP too. Canning came in a seasons EP, Nectar Making came in an adventure one. They could put it into a pack about farming, seasons, cooking/kitchen or basically anything.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    op just because some features did not win the vote do not mean that they are forgoten i am sure @SimGuruGraham as taken note to add the features that did not win in a future stuffpack or gamepack its no point to argue and do not forget that modders will make the features that did not win the vote as cc until the day they actually are added to the game. Every player that plays the game is intitle to content they went i would not be suprise that now that laundry as won that we see demands for cars and garage to be added to the sims4
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    People need to understand that our main problem isn't laundry. It's the fact that we have an eco theme and the objects are the complete opposite to it. It's like picking a Christmas sp and getting as a gameplay object cage dancing.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg
    They can add the rest to any kind of EP/GP too. Canning came in a seasons EP, Nectar Making came in an adventure one. They could put it into a pack about farming, seasons, cooking/kitchen or basically anything.

@Neia Canning came in Seasons? I could've sworn it was just a store item.
    edited July 2017
    We had canning in Makin Magic EP then we didn't get it again until the store in Sims 3 made it- Grandma's Canning station-even though it was asked for a lot.

http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:72826&categoryId=13062

You actually had to buy this to get it though-

http://store.thesims3.com/setsProductDetails.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:72837&section=UpSell

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

@lasummerb @Writin_Reg
    I was thinking about the one from TS1, but you're right it wasn't in Seasons since there wasn't any seasons pack in TS1. But it came in a pack that wasn't about eco living, so they could add it somewhere else.

I'd rather have juice/smoothie back, rather than canning/jam, to be honest. I have too many fruits in my inventories at the moment, and I'd like something that use them.
    Oh it does a lot more than just jam- it came with tons of recipes - all kinds of pickled foods, and jam from every kind of fruit there is. It also had that really cool working water wheel Brunch shop- Tea- scones, and all sorts of goodies. We have a legit tea set and everything.

In dreams - I LIVE!

@Writin_Reg
    I'd rather have something that consumes fruits/vegetables, rather than something that allows me to keep them even longer. In TS2, it used a lot of fruits, so it was a nice way to use them en masse. I must say pickled food isn't something I'm really familiar with, perhaps it's a cultural thing, so that probably plays a part too.
    That's strange as a lot of pickling recipes I use in real life come from Europe - Lol. I have many old family recipes handed down some from the 1600's even - lol. My fathers family came here from England as some of the Pilgrims- so yes I carried on the family recipes. I also have a lot from Germany, Norway, the Netherlands... from my moms family as well. I cook everything the old ways.

In dreams - I LIVE!