Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why don't we have the LOL option anymore?

2...Next

Comments

• TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    ^ Push the insightful button, if you Don't like the post above! ^

@Triplis :smirk:
    Doesn't really work though. Without the context of you saying that you're pushing insightful to make a point, I would just assume that you deemed the post insightful in some way.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • SimplyobsessedSimplyobsessed Posts: 315 Member
    edited July 2017
    A forum I post on recently removed the 'Disagree' button and the laughing button instead became the new way to express disagreement. The conversation topics there tend to be more serious than those here (politics ect) but It created a hostile environment where people's arguments are being laughed at so i'd be against that happening here :p
  • Vici0us_VirusVici0us_Virus Posts: 3,076 Member
    Triplis wrote: »

Doesn't really work though. Without the context of you saying that you're pushing insightful to make a point, I would just assume that you deemed the post insightful in some way.

I feel ya Trip, and i'm with you on that.
    Some just don't agree with ya, and they may be too sensitive for the forum.

Due to this division, we can't have nice things on the forum.
    I can live without buttons, so can you and they can too.
    Not everyone wants buttons, all i'm saying. :)

Sorry if this isn't a valid reply, I was gonna add more examples.
    Thought it was moot though... :|

Lemme know if you want me to edit that :trollface: post, I will if it bothers ya.

I feel ya Trip, and i'm with you on that.
    Some just don't agree with ya, and they may be too sensitive for the forum.

Due to this division, we can't have nice things on the forum.
    I can live without buttons, so can you and they can too.
    Not everyone wants buttons, all i'm saying. :)

Sorry if this isn't a valid reply, I was gonna add more examples.
    Thought it was moot though... :|

Lemme know if you want me to edit that :trollface: post, I will if it bothers ya.
    Oh, it's no problem. I was just debating the point. I figured you were just doing that to try to make a point.

That said, I agree with you that we could live without the buttons. I have mixed feelings about buttons like that existing at all. I think a more practical kind of button would be something like, "[Poster's Name] has read this" that you can click on a post, so that if you want someone to know you read something they wrote without taking the time to write a short reply, you can click it. Other than that, the whole system of boosting up posts seems like meaningless cheerleading at the end of the day. It's not like this is a system where "upvotes" and "downvotes" determine whether something gets seen. (I guess maybe in the Best Of section it factors in, but certainly not on the forum proper.)

I've seen forums before features like that existed, and I've seen forums with them, and watched the difference. It seems to me like mostly what those type of buttons do is they motivate debates to become more "showy," as there's a visible sense of an audience watching and liking certain things that get said. Without it, I think conversations tend to be more direct and to-the-point, rather than getting caught up in showmanship.

To a certain extent, I think on some forums there was an issue with "me too" posts being made, where a thread would become cluttered with people just affirming what another poster said (and I guess that's where concepts like the Like button came from). But I'm not sure such buttons are any more substantive than a post with only the words "me too" or "lol." The problem is, forums can get very cluttered if you allow people to speak as they would in normal conversation. But at the same time, this "click a button" culture we have online seems pretty vapid to me. Especially when you don't even know *who* clicked the button. At least on some forums, you can actually see who the poster is who clicked the button. That makes it seem a little more personalized and meaningful in my mind, if you know who did it. It would also remove some of the potential for abuse, as it would become clear pretty quickly who's making a habit of going around making seemingly odd choices on what buttons they're using for certain types of posts.
    Verry well put @Triplis , and im all about (buttons that SHOW/HIDE whom is doing the pushing of said button...
    And yea im on the fence about them in general, so thanks for the debate it gave me some new (insightful) solutions. :)

The Poster can click the buttons, to identify those that pushed them... Sounds fair enough.
    Verry well put @Triplis , and im all about (buttons that SHOW/HIDE whom is doing the pushing of said button...
    And yea im on the fence about them in general, so thanks for the debate it gave me some new (insightful) solutions. :)

The Poster can click the buttons, to identify those that pushed them... Sounds fair enough.
    Thanks, glad we were able to come to a more clear understanding on what each other is saying. :)
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited July 2017

:D I'm pretty sure that doesn't come up often though. Also I insightful-ed yours, the rule still apply ? :p:D (Now just watch everyone in this thread insightful each other just to stick it too the world :D )

I'm with @Triplis on this one, I find it a rare situation where an insightful is going to be insulting. I see a few where it is outright bizarre but not really insulting.

Here's two situations it may be weird though
    1. If some one is making a joke; Saying a joke is insightful would be a little odd but I can't imagine being insulted because someone read a joke and got insight from it, I would probably just think that person didn't get my joke
    2. Somebody says something like their cat dies and they are sad; Again I see this as more of weird, I mean somebody thought that was insightful? What are they like stalking me and gathering details on my life, that's just creepy man why you doing that... :cold_sweat:

Otherwise positive or negative comment I would use the insightful button because I just use it when ever someone brings up something I hadn't thought of before, (Well and yours @Vici0us_Virus but that's because I'm goofing :p )

Edit: lmao Ok well now I have an insightful and I don't know if it is serious :D:D Maybe I shouldn't have been goofing around :D

Also I didn't see the rest of this thread so I was late to the party. I agree with the two of your guy's comments and also am agreeing with it's conclusion, still keeping my comment up because it has the situations were insightful's are weird. :)
    Post edited by Shadowmarked on
    edited July 2017
    Lmao I don mind a bit, so lets run some examples...

We had a somewhat truly kind, but vapid simmer in Activity about 2 yrs back...
    She'd post these on the hour, updates cuz ppl were trolling her each time she posted.
    She was a running joke, and until somebody told her the truth.
    She was oblivious, she thought everyone really wanted to know bout her cats, thoughts, etc...
    Had like 600+(insightful) 30 (Likes) 10 (Awesome)
    Then someone tells her, their trolling you (insight)="Cool story bruh" Nobody cares...
    She left imediatly...

This: Activity
    New members be like: The minute I figure out how to post comments, i'm posting all day long!
    [15]insightful
    Vici0us_Virus: Uhhhh bruh we can see what you wrote, you just posted a comment...
    New member: Who is this, and how can you see what I wrote are you a hacker?
    Vici0us_Virus: Nah bud im under ur bed!
    New member:.........

joined 9:45am Last active 9:50am... He was here 5 mins and had 15+(insightful's)
    Never to be seen again...
    In this case it's "Well garsh ur so smart yuk yuk"

Now im all good with button trolls I could care less, lol but they're plenty of people that lose it.

People also get jealous over these numbers, I don need every smart plum on the forum.
    Baiting me into B/S debates at random, just to make themselves feel good or superior.
    "Just out witted the most, insightful simmer on the forum"

B4 we DERAIL this thread any further, I'm sayin Mah bad OP I did this.
    On topic, I do miss that my (lol) count was over 500...
    When my likes n awesomes were still below 50. :D:(:'(
    To much funny...

Lmao I don mind a bit, so lets run some examples...

We had a somewhat truly kind, but vapid simmer in Activity about 2 yrs back...
    She'd post these on the hour, updates cuz ppl were trolling her each time she posted.
    She was a running joke, and until somebody told her the truth.
    She was oblivious, she thought everyone really wanted to know bout her cats, thoughts, etc...
    Had like 600+(insightful) 30 (Likes) 10 (Awesome)
    Then someone tells her, their trolling you (insight)="Cool story bruh" Nobody cares...
    She left imediatly...

This: Activity
    New members be like: The minute I figure out how to post comments, i'm posting all day long!
    [15]insightful
    Vici0us_Virus: Uhhhh bruh we can see what you wrote, you just posted a comment...
    New member: Who is this, and how can you see what I wrote are you a hacker?
    Vici0us_Virus: Nah bud im under ur bed!
    New member:.........

joined 9:45am Last active 9:50am... He was here 5 mins and had 15+(insightful's)
    Never to be seen again...
    In this case it's "Well garsh ur so smart yuk yuk"

Now im all good with button trolls I could care less, lol but they're plenty of people that lose it.

People also get jealous over these numbers, I don need every smart plum on the forum.
    Baiting me into B/S debates at random, just to make themselves feel good or superior.
    "Just out witted the most, insightful simmer on the forum"

B4 we DERAIL this thread any further, I'm sayin Mah bad OP I did this.
    On topic, I do miss that my (lol) count was over 500...
    When my likes n awesomes were still below 50. :D:(:'(
    To much funny...

I sometimes substitue awsomes for laughs now if someone really cracks me up, I also use them for other things though.

Also that seconed poster new member, I'm sorry but I'm laughing so hard right now, thats just gold.
    First perskon I felt bad for that was harsh :(

Anyways yes I agree the buttons in general don't really help much save some clutter posts maybe.

I would suggest maybe make these buttons private, only to be viewed by the poster who is getting them? Then it isn't about publicly compeating and I think it would limit (not get rid of) button trolls because then they are only really affecting one person privately. I don't know if getting a message about who pressed what would work, too much oppertunity to single out people who just wanted to pass by.
    I was never around for the lol button I just know sometimes I want it.
    Also I didn't think it was off topic since the two buttons relate in a way, but I actually think I was the first to question this whole thing to debate with insightfuls so I can be the guilty on if you like. :)
    edited July 2017
    Awesome ^
    I'm all about this post, on that fence wit meh meow rite...
    Awesome ^
    I'm all about this post, on that fence wit meh meow rite...

Wit meh meow rite? I think I'm missing something right there but if its saying im on the post with you yeah sure :) pros and cons to both.
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,614 Member
    You guys explained it better than me.

It's like this: Someone makes a thread stating their feelings about an EP/SP (good or bad) and the OP gets a lot of "likes/awesomes". And others post their own feelings in agreement with OP. But then there are one or two Simmers who comes in and disagrees in their post and then get 10 "insightfuls" (and maybe one like from the other person who agrees lol). I would assume that the people who are lurking and participating in the thread are more than likely mocking the minority who disagrees with the topic.

You seem what I mean? @Triplis <3
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    They tried to bring it back but it didn't work. Right now we have awesome instead of it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2017

Well that spirit will bring the lol button back B) (not ;))

I never liked the disagree button by the way, because if you disagree, at least explain why (explaining why you agree or lol is less necessary,in fact those buttons replace long lists of useless posts saying I agree or lol). Quite often people disagreed with posts like 'I (don't) like that feature', which basically means: "No you don't/yes you do!" :p
    5JZ57S6.png
    Goodywood wrote: »

It's like this: Someone makes a thread stating their feelings about an EP/SP (good or bad) and the OP gets a lot of "likes/awesomes". And others post their own feelings in agreement with OP. But then there are one or two Simmers who comes in and disagrees in their post and then get 10 "insightfuls" (and maybe one like from the other person who agrees lol). I would assume that the people who are lurking and participating in the thread are more than likely mocking the minority who disagrees with the topic.

Hum. I always assumed that in those cases, it was people who silently don't like the game agreeing with the person who voices dislike.

I will never see the world the same now. My innocence has been shattered. :heartbreak:

:tongue:
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    My understanding is it was taken away because it was being used to troll people.

Example: Someone writes an obviously serious comment.

A bunch of people hit "lol" to passive-aggressively mock them.

Which is a pain in the backside scenario to moderate if reported. Because how do you determine whether someone was actively trying to mock, hit the lol button by accident, thought the comment was a joke sincerely when it wasn't, etc.?

I think it's probably better this way. "Awesome" seems to be a sufficient way to convey positive feelings toward a post, without running into that issue.

Yes, and now the "Insightful" button kind of replaced the "lol" button for mocking someone's post.

Really? How can that be insulting though I mean how can you tell you could say any opinion and someone may find it insightful because it shared something new so how is it being used to mock?

I read some people use the insightful to disagree now. It's sort of taken on a life of it's own. So, I never know if I was really insighful or if someone was using it to make fun, or laugh or disagree.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    So odd how Zagadoo has latched itself onto insightful.

Rip Zagadoo.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
    @Goodywood
    Hmmm how unfortunate. I honestly, except for in this thread for other reasons, had always seen it as a complement. Mind you I lean more to what things litteraly say and therefore I can miss the message hidden between the lines.

I personaly use insightfuls when ever someone says something I hadn't known or find useful, as such I tend to give them on threads even where it is one person who is disagreeing not to passivly mock but to actually complement or to say I hadn't looked at it from that perspective. :/ I might be contributing to hurt feelings inadvertantly is what I'm gathering from this thread, which is sad that people out there actually abuse such tools so it is a concern.

I beleive @Triplis said it perfectly though:

Hum. I always assumed that in those cases, it was people who silently don't like the game agreeing with the person who voices dislike.

I will never see the world the same now. My innocence has been shattered. :heartbreak:

:tongue:

Also side note and offtopic but guys, no one has had an unruly argument here and yet we have been able to actually disagree and disscuss. We are the rare unicorn of threads!
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,614 Member
    Yeah. I don't think its as popular as it was when they first got rid of LOL button though. I think the insightfuls are more legit now than before.

I too only hit the "insightful" button if I actually find the post insightful.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,427 Member
    I don't give a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about it. I've always had contempt over the acronym LOL anyway.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I am surprised that some did know about the community's appropriation of the Insightful option. Do you truly believe that people here thought my content to contain insight 415 times? Of course not; those are downvotes.
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    I am surprised that some did know about the community's appropriation of the Insightful option. Do you truly believe that people here thought my content to contain insight 415 times? Of course not; those are downvotes.

I'm laughing right now, I pictured you as an embarrassed sim and you just had a whim to crack a self depreciating joke.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

I'm laughing right now, I pictured you as an embarrassed sim and you just had a whim to crack a self depreciating joke.
    It isn't self depreciation, it's reality. You are free to depict me as cartoonish unperson if you wish.

It isn't self depreciation, it's reality. You are free to depict me as cartoonish unperson if you wish.

Ok then, I thought you were a joking around sorry. I doubt all your insightfuls are mean spirited I know a few aren't :) Wasn't trying to offend.