Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The teens are ruining the game

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    Movotti wrote: »
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    I think teens in TS4 can look very teen-like
    This is my main sim, he's a teen:
    tumblr_ol1jm9R8qJ1v2n804o5_1280.png
    In the story I'm using him in, he's meant to be about 16/17
    Look at that pose! Such attitude! Much teen!

This is his younger sister, she's a teen too.
    tumblr_ol1jm9R8qJ1v2n804o3_540.jpg
    She's supposed to be about 14/15

In their "school uniforms"
    tumblr_ol1jm9R8qJ1v2n804o2_1280.jpg

Their parents
    Trash with their mother
    tumblr_ol1jm9R8qJ1v2n804o6_1280.jpg
    Their father
    tumblr_ol1jm9R8qJ1v2n804o7_1280.jpg

I think they look like young adults

I think you need to look closer.

In this pic, everyone (except the teen on the edge of the pool) is a young adult.
    They look different to my teens, a little older, a little more worldly.
    h5x9hrcaic3r.jpg

I've found that teens tend to be more twig like than young adults.

What? Lol
    Sorry, but are you blind? Or maybe just biased because the sim on the side on the pool looks *nothing* like a teen, to me. Not one bit. Sorry.

--T

ETA: if anything, he looks like Johnny Depp, a *young adult* JD, so props for that. He's a nice looking sim. Just doesn't look like a teenager in any shape, way or form. Nada.
    Are you blind I get what they are saying because I have noticed that to that they are alot skinnier then YA sometimes and that looks like a teen to me.
    Teens aren't necessarily skinnier than adults, so if that defines the difference that would be rather limited imo. Besides, how can you tell them apart then from skinny adults in your game? I seriously can't tell the examples in this topic being teens and I'm not blind ;) Like this one:

She could be 30 as far as I'm concerned.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    @ikiamyetta
    The teens in your part of the world must be very strange looking.

Tall and skinny is pretty normal here for teens.
    I was as tall as many adults when I was about 15, and though I never reached my goal of 6ft, I still towered over many of my teachers by 16.
    I've known a lot of teens who towered over their parents by 15/16
    I've known a lot of people who are easily as tall as their mothers by 12/13.

@Orchid13 It'd be pretty odd for a 16/17 year old guy to not have facial hair.

And there's no real logical reason to have teens shorter than adults, as I've mentioned above, tall teens are pretty normal.
    Short teens are abnormal. :p

JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I'm really not seeing it.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    @ikiamyetta
    The teens in your part of the world must be very strange looking.

Tall and skinny is pretty normal here for teens.
    I was as tall as many adults when I was about 15, and though I never reached my goal of 6ft, I still towered over many of my teachers by 16.
    I've known a lot of teens who towered over their parents by 15/16
    I've known a lot of people who are easily as tall as their mothers by 12/13.

@Orchid13 It'd be pretty odd for a 16/17 year old guy to not have facial hair.

And there's no real logical reason to have teens shorter than adults, as I've mentioned above, tall teens are pretty normal.
    Short teens are abnormal. :p

I'm really not seeing it.
    They have different facial features is how you can tell they are teens and I know you are defending that teens look like teens in the game.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    Honestly, the teens in TS4 are versions of the YA's/adults since they can pretty much do the same as the adults with different titles (i.e. "mess around" which is basically woohooing, promise rings which is basically engagement rings).

I feel there isn't much difference with them and the adults. The only difference is them being high schoolers and only being able to work part-time. That's about it. I frankly like the promise ring addition and the messing around but I'd like for a patch or two to make them more different from adults.
    ▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Lousy kids and their rock n' roll ruining The Sims, eh?
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    The teens problem in The Sims 4 is due to the fact that they are extremely similar to adults in almost every aspect. Their unique characteristics are so small, insignificant, and below the minimum that they are almost invisible. It's not really fun to play with teenagers like in the previous games because they are basically adults disguised as teenagers. They are teenagers with adult Sims gameplay, do not have pimples, great things for teenagers, conflicts with younger siblings, among other things. It's artificial.
    tenor.gif
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    @Movotti I didn't say teens couldn't be tall and skinny. I said there are adults who are just as thin as teens so that didn't make your sims stand out as teens. When I aged up Olivia Spencer Kim Lewis she was rail thin, as a young adult. Appearance isn't my real issue with TS4 teens, as I stated.
    Appearance isn't my real issue with TS4 teens, as I stated.
    I think I must have missed that.

I'm going to blame a lack of caffeine.
    Everytime I read/post here, and miss things, it's always before I've had enough coffee to be functional. :/

• naomehnaomeh Posts: 367 Member
    I don't mind how they look, but I would rather more teen specific content and interactions. Crushes, prom and other school events, teen parties, teen playable "jobs", more in-depth social media, snubbing, more interesting school in general like tests, more random events, learning to drive, pranking, etc. would make me feel better about them.

Just a few of the things I'd love to see. I'm not sure about in-depth social media. I'm not sure if that's expanded on in city living as I haven't gotten much time with it yet.

The teen appearance did bother me at one point, but I don't really mind it anymore. I have also come across teens that look like adults and eclipse me in height. I feel like this is an accurate height representation of late teens or even just 15+, but it wouldn't hurt to make the difference more obvious just for ease of differentiating them from YA.
  • MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member

Their parents
    Trash with their mother
    Their father

In this pic, everyone (except the teen on the edge of the pool) is a young adult.
    h5x9hrcaic3r.jpg

What? Lol
    Sorry, but are you blind? Or maybe just biased because the sim on the side on the pool looks *nothing* like a teen, to me. Not one bit. Sorry.

--T

ETA: if anything, he looks like Johnny Depp, a *young adult* JD, so props for that. He's a nice looking sim. Just doesn't look like a teenager in any shape, way or form. Nada.

I couldn't agree more, especially the girl.
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    I thought I would do a little throwback to The Sims 2 to highlight teen distinction:

maleevolution.jpg

a17e59544a7eb76e6b3c1b10827e513f.jpg

This was EA marketing the new age groups introduced in The Sims 2, and in a way, their associated gameplay. While I think it is heavily stereotyped, I have said earlier that I think the point of those stereotypes is to make for interesting and unique gameplay that gives the impression you are playing with a distinct Sim life stage. It's not suppose to be a reflection of real life, but rather an idealised interpretation of it for the purposes of making a fun game.

As you can see from the image, the teens are smaller and look as though they are around 13-15 years old. They had their own unique gameplay that was limited in respect to adult capabilities, but expanded in terms of teen-exclusive activities such as sneaking out, acne or tormenting younger siblings.

Regarding gameplay, I think because the adult life stage in TS2 was marketed as being a Sim's prime, the teen life stage was suppose to be that "getting there, but not quite there yet". In other words, while teens had more privileges than children, they did not have the same privileges as adults. However, to make up for that, they had their own experiences. I think this made the adult life stage more desirable to play and is somewhat of an achievement to reach given its associated freedom.

Regarding their size, I think this served two purposes. It bridged the gap between child and adult and complemented their "less privileged" gameplay by implying they still had to grow both mentally and physically.

TS4 does not have this and instead I think there is a jarring gap between kids and adults. We know teen height was considered, but the budget that could've made them shorter was spent on what I'm guessing are the unique animations required for each emotional state. See here:
    One, all adult animations on Sims 2 and Sims 3 had to be animated so they played back without obvious visual issues on teens. Because the teen's arms were shorter, this meant that animators could not hit the full range of poses possible for the character (e.g. the arms could almost never extend all the way). If you are an animator, you know that "extreme" (in the sense of fully extended) poses are important for expressiveness and animation quality. So in practice the shorter teen height meant that animations both on Sims 2 and 3 could never be as expressive as we wanted them to be.

Two, the height difference meant that there was a not insignificant amount of animation on Sims 2 and Sims 3 that could not be shared for technical reasons. In those cases we had to duplicate the adult animation and hand adjust it for the teen. Each case of this is "invisible" content, in the sense that it did not add any more stuff to do or special behavior to the game but ate up valuable animation time. It's hard to put a number on how much content we lost to this, but I can say with some confidence that teens in the Sims 2 and Sims 3 did have significantly fewer teen-specific interactions than we wanted to make for them because of the invisible work we had to do in order to support their size.

Our decision to do away with the shorter teen was really driven by a desire to improve animation quality, be able to make more fun content for the game in general (children, I believe, benefitted the most from this), and add more special behaviors for the teens themselves.

Here's the rest of the response: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/784657/pguidas-review-guide-improve-the-experience-w-simguru-response/p5

I agree when she says the animation quality was improved greatly, as TS4 did come with a ton of unique and smooth animations. However, as a result of this, teens have become somewhat morphed into the YA/A category, as some us here believe. I am fine with the fact that the animation budget was spent elsewhere, but after a couple of years playing teens in TS4 I have come to appreciate the idea of growth behind shorter teens and their corresponding gameplay in TS2.

I understand that people have come to interpret this change in teens in TS4 as freedom and how they reflect older teens in real life and that's cool. I just feel that the freedom teens possess makes them YA/A's who have to go to school and can only have part time jobs. As I mentioned in an earlier post and how others have stated here, the life stage feels so redundant that I could skip over it and not miss out on any real sense of unique growth in my Sim.

If for whatever reason devs would not make teens shorter, at least make their gameplay worthwhile. I love the idea of age-exclusive traits that have come with toddlers. Adding these on to every other life stage could help them become more unique. So you could have a rebellious teen, goody-two-shoes teen, or even some high school stereotypes that could either wear off or morph into other traits once adulthood is reached (It could also apply to elders who could have unique traits, such as "frail" or "lively" etc. etc).

And of course, yes, seeing what they did with toddlers gives me so much hope that they can pull of the same thing with teens, hence me speaking up about it more than ever :smirk:

I'm glad you brought up the stereotype topic here @cameronw209 . I know people have a lot of issues with this, but then again I think people make the mistake of relating this game to the real world, after all it's just a game and for some reason it has turned into some moral thing, when it's just meant to be fun.

I actually miss having different CAS items for teens, y/a adults and elders. To start with we would have more content and not the same stuff. I honestly don't care if some mothers here start saying their son in real life looks taller or shorter than her, that's really common and I get it, but in this game you can't even tell them apart and the only teens I can tell apart are dangerously skinny it just looks creepy, and this is coming from a really skinny girl, i don't wanna offend anyone.

Also it bothers me when people have an issue with baby girls and boys being related to one color. I'm sorry but I'm glad boys wear green and girls wear yellow and I wish we could also get blue and pink oncies for babies. It just looks cute, it's something as simple as that.

Don't even get me started on allowing the same clothes for men and women. I have nothing against people who want this in the game, but the way they did it, is a hot mess. I mean having random townies wearing a suit with heels, that's just ridiculous I'm sorry. It shouldn't be forced on us, specially cause the whole patch had a million issues.

And finally I personally love playing with stereotypes in my game. I love having girly sims, punk sims, athletes, geeks. It's just fun

Have to give you a like for this one.

Their parents
    Trash with their mother
    Their father

h5x9hrcaic3r.jpg

What? Lol

--T

Are you blind I get what they are saying because I have noticed that to that they are alot skinnier then YA sometimes and that looks like a teen to me.
    Teens aren't necessarily skinnier than adults, so if that defines the difference that would be rather limited imo. Besides, how can you tell them apart then from skinny adults in your game? I seriously can't tell the examples in this topic being teens and I'm not blind ;) Like this one:

I agree, she looks like a full grown woman to me. And the hairstyle doesn't help. It would help if they at least made softer teen faces. They modeled the faces after young adults. If would work better if we could also use the model faces from the children to make younger looking teens.
    Have people here never been to all-ages gigs?
    I used to, just about weekly.
    It was hard to tell the difference between the teenagers, and those who were in their early 20s.
    Someone could be 16 or they could be 21.
    The best way to tell if a person was over 18, was if they were wearing the wristband you needed for bar staff to allow you to buy a drink, or if they had tattoos, or not. Everyone was usually dressed much the same: jeans and tshirts. Hairstyles and piercings didn't seem to change much, whether you were 13 or 30.
    Teens usually try to look older than they really are, and people who are older, often try to look younger.
    Mendota wrote: »

Their parents
    Trash with their mother
    Their father

h5x9hrcaic3r.jpg

What? Lol

--T

I agree, she looks like a full grown woman to me. And the hairstyle doesn't help. It would help if they at least made softer teen faces. They modeled the faces after young adults. If would work better if we could also use the model faces from the children to make younger looking teens.
    The hairstyle looks like a teen one to me. :/
    She's got a soft-looking face, with no lines around her eyes nor mouth.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Jodie Foster at 14:

jodie-foster-the-little-girl-who.jpeg

Jodie Foster at 15:

candleshoe-5.png

Jodie Foster at 18:

carny.png

Jodie Foster at 23:

v1.bTsxMjEwNTM5NTtqOzE3MjQwOzEyMDA7MTUzNjsyMDQ4

If anything she looks skinnier to me. Sharper features.
    It would be interesting to compare same sims by the way, not one sim to the other. Though that wouldn't mean much because I think we should be able to recognize a teen in the game when they pass by, immediately. Just like irl.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    I think they could make teen pregnancy a lesson. Going to school, taking care of a baby and working part time to support yourself and your baby. They could throw a lot of things into it to make it hard. Who knows, maybe a teen would think twice about taking that chance, if they saw what it could be like while playing a game.
  • John4estJohn4est Posts: 202 Member
    That awkward moment when you are like "🐸🐸🐸🐸 (he/she) IS CUTE!" then you go over and try to romance them and realize their a teen... Way to make me a 🐸🐸🐸🐸, game!
    2qwq9ah.jpg
    John4est wrote: »
    That awkward moment when you are like "plum (he/she) IS CUTE!" then you go over and try to romance them and realize their a teen... Way to make me a plum, game!

That's realism right there!
    In real life, you don't usually ID people before you try to chat them up.
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I actually love how independent the teens are. At 13, I was taller than my mom (which tbh doesn't take much.) You can make the teen sims actual teens with a tad more gameplay. Teen sim mouthing off? Make them cook dinner instead of going over to their girl/boyfriends house. Make them have mood swings by using certain interactions. Dress them differently.

And also, I feel as though it's a bit much to ask for preteens when we just got toddlers this year. What additional gameplay would they have? I honestly do not see the point.
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Teens DO ruin this game and you have EVERY RIGHT to express YOUR opinion.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    The thing I do is dress teens appropriately. Sundresses and nonrevealing attire for girls and sneakers, jeans and T-Shirts for boys. No heavy makeup either. I also choose more ponytails and kid like hairstyles for them. It gives more separation between them and adults.

Exactly. That's what I do too and I feel like my teens do look like teens. Just because all the clothes and make up options are available for teens it doesn't mean you have to use them. Also there are some outfits (e.g. The football jacket) that I only use on my teens, so I feel like they're different somehow.

I pretty much don't use makeup on teen girls other than with their formal and party wear. At the most I might use a very lightly tinted lipstick which can pass for tinted lip balm. I have a few outfits I only use for teens, and there'll likely be more with the new pack out next Tuesday (I'll be doing a lot of style makeovers).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,553 Member
    I can totally appreciate people are rowing with the oars they've got and this is not about slating the game. But this whole excusing these teens looks a lot like excusing no toddlers in the past to me. Why won't people just agree that EA, darn, please have your life stages right? Doesn't mean you hate the game when you say that. They simply could and should me a whole lot better. Maybe they will in behaviour at least one day. Hope so.

My biggest gripe over teens is as they were in Sims3. Short, obviously no older than 14 and yet they can drive? :open_mouth: While I do admit, it's very hard to distinguish teens from YAs in Sims 4, I do appreciate their height. I think what we need is some teen-specific clothing, hair styles, and interactions. "Kiss on neck" is not exclusively a 'teen' thing. Let's get real. I'm not making excuses. If EA does give us two stages of teenhood, that would be my heart's desire. Right now, we have one size teen fits all. Should we get all up in arms over the fact that the female Sims are taller than all of the male Sims, too? Personally, I'm short. I stopped growing when I reached the lofty height of five foot three and a half inches. That's it, folks. Most men, and most people are taller than me. That's MY norm. As for teens, they come in all sizes and shapes. Most of them gradually gain their height over time. Out of my three grown children, the only one NOT taller than me is my first child and only daughter. I've got that half-inch over her.

If we're to grouse over things in the game, please let it be about the unfixed bugs, to date.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited May 2017

Their parents
    Trash with their mother
    Their father

h5x9hrcaic3r.jpg

If you didn't tell me that he was a teen I would have taken him to be a young adult. There is nothing to distinguish that he is a teen.

But like I said in another thread, it's not to much about the height for me. Yes, in Sims 2 and Sims 3 the height difference is a visual cue so that the player knows that these sims are teens. But it's the over all actions of the teens in the game. They are basically carbon copies of young adults, and that is what needs to be changed the most. They need to behave like teens. And right now they don't.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    there needs to be a revamp teens are adults
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I enjoy the teens in Sims 4 more than in any of the past games!
  • ShellbellShellbell Posts: 132 Member
    It's a toss up for me on this subject I feel that teens do look very more mature than in past games but I also see how the world is around us I remember back in middle school there was boys and girls that looked like they were in their 20s. One of my friends enjoys the sim teens better now but I would much rather them look just a little younger I remember in sims3 everyone of my teens had a pudgy kind of baby face and the moment they aged into young adult it went away. The way I make my sim teens look younger now is I try to lower their makeup load I try to give them just a simple lip gloss and even a bit of a messier hair style. On top of that I try to dress them in more covered clothing I try not to let them wear anything to revealing.