This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

What good is the burglar alarm if it's not going to go off?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    jennay220jennay220 Posts: 71 New Member
    edited July 2009
    one thing i've noticed on this problem though about alarms is that if i have one in my house the burglars never come they only show up if you have nothing protecting your house

My sims had an alarm, the burglars showed up anyway and set it off. The ended up getting arrested. They will come whether or not you have an alarm.
  • Options
    litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited July 2009
    I put my burglar alarm on the outside of the house. TS2 wouldnt let you do outside but TS3 does. As soon as a burglar enters the lot the alarm goes off.
  • Options
    OliverSuddenOliverSudden Posts: 514 New Member
    edited July 2009
    The only bug I've had with the game so far involved a burglar.

My sim was sleeping when the burglar came, and I called the cops. By the time they showed up, the burglar had fled the house and was outside on the sidewalk.

According to the cops, he got away (even though he was right there, dressed like only a robber would dress).

I couldn't interact with him and neither could the cops. Worse, I couldn't save my game because a robbery was in progress.

Maybe I'll try the burglar alarm on a post in the yard trick...
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited July 2009
    i stick my alarm on the edge of the house outside so the second a burglar gets close to the house it triggers .
  • Options
    GoddessNoireGoddessNoire Posts: 769 New Member
    edited July 2009
    The one thing that peeves me about the burgler alarm issue is that my stuff was stolen outside. I was so mad. A burgler yanked my exercise equipment and I couldn't do anything about it. I wish TS3 had guns. In real life if a burgler stepped foot in my house he would get shot. TS3 should include weaponry lol
  • Options
    NighteyesNighteyes Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited July 2009
    Jalida wrote:
    Your correct, I have one burglar alarm in the house, just like what would be needed in real life. This is TS3 as so many folks like to point out, so I don't play it as if playing one of it's predecessors, and I usually play it as if it were real world, what would need to be done.

Obviously I must stick an alarm in every room that can be entered from the outside. Fine, that's what I'll do. Seems a waste and silly to have to do that but if that's the way it works then so be it. In our home we have one alarm keypad, it alarms the whole house. Individual windows and doors have sensors, not the alarm keypads but if the game works different and needs an alarm in every room ok, still a total waste to have to put a keypad alarm in every single room with a door to the outside.

Thanks,

At my parents' house they have a key pad in the bathroom, one in the living room and one in the hallway by the front door. They use none of them lol.
    In my Sims' home there is one by the front door and one on the outside wall near the only gate into the back yard. They haven't failed me yet.
  • Options
    spectacularsimsspectacularsims Posts: 19 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Oh my gosh, you mean it only works in that room?! Thanks 4 telling me!! I usually make really, really expensive lots and set ONE burglar alarm on the lot, and I haven't gotten robbed once, my sims are usually brave, but I'll set it on a fence post now.
  • Options
    MorberticusMorberticus Posts: 4 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Stormkeep wrote:
    I assume the burglar alarm works the same as in TS2 and that means it will only go off if it is in the same room as the burglar. They do work, just fine, for me...and I've placed the alarms with this assumption. Every room that has a door to the outside gets an alarm. Usually that's pretty easy for me because I like open spaces and it's rare for me to have doors to the outside that the game doesn't consider to all be the same room.

I'm going to guess that you had it in a different room than where the burglar was. It isn't a faulty burglar alarm in your game. It's like most computer problems, user error.

It's not user error. I have the exact same problem. The alarm does nothing no matter how many I have and no matter where they are placed.
  • Options
    Achoo89Achoo89 Posts: 608 Member
    edited February 2013
    Jalida wrote:
    Your correct, I have one burglar alarm in the house, just like what would be needed in real life. This is TS3 as so many folks like to point out, so I don't play it as if playing one of it's predecessors, and I usually play it as if it were real world, what would need to be done.

Obviously I must stick an alarm in every room that can be entered from the outside. Fine, that's what I'll do. Seems a waste and silly to have to do that but if that's the way it works then so be it. In our home we have one alarm keypad, it alarms the whole house. Individual windows and doors have sensors, not the alarm keypads but if the game works different and needs an alarm in every room ok, still a total waste to have to put a keypad alarm in every single room with a door to the outside.

Thanks,

You are coming across a bit angry!

Put on next to you front door, indoors, and back door, if you have one!

:shock:

Dee xxx
  • Options
    MorberticusMorberticus Posts: 4 New Member
    edited February 2013
    I discovered the problem with my case!

I mistook the repo man-for a burglar. Looks like I wasn't paying my bills!
  • Options
    EthyrdudeEthyrdude Posts: 268 Member
    edited May 2013
    Ok, first this is a really old thread but as I see some newer postings it seems to be a recurring problem. I ended up here seeing if anyone else had this problem. To those who never have had an issue with their burglar alarms - bless you and hope things keep going the way they have. It's great when things work right all the time and there is no problem; however, sometimes things go wrong.

I always put in a burglar alarm right beside the front door, and guess what? It has always gone off when I was burglarized except today, I had a burglar walk in, take my laptop and take off, my sim woke up as he's a light sleeper and went to call the police but as the deed was already done, he cancelled the call and was upset that the burglar got away.

Perhaps the burglar was a master thief and was able to disarm it, I am hoping that this was the case as it's going to add an element of interest to my game. Just because something doesn't work as expected, this is not always a bad thing. Now I have to go back and buy a new laptop so see you later folks.
    On a planet far, far away.
  • Options
    AllieleebAllieleeb Posts: 26
    edited October 2013
    You reminded me. I forgot to install an alarm in the home of the new sim I just made. I usually put it outside because many times my sim has things outside that the burglars like to steal. I don't recall being able to put it outside in sims 2. One of my sims had burglars try to steal her weight bench that was on the porch, twice. The alarm being on the outside worked and he was caught both times.

Having the alarm on the porch works a lot, but once I installed a burglar alarm outside of my house, and the burglar went to enter the house, but when the alarm went off, they stood there for a while holding their ears like robbers do with a burglar alarm, then they ran away before the police showed up. Just a warning to all, put all of your outdoor items near a burglar alarm, because if they steal something then proceed towards the burglar alarm after that, they can still escape quickly outdoors :? Luckily they hadn't stolen anything from me.
  • Options
    HungergamesnerdHungergamesnerd Posts: 25 New Member
    edited March 2014
    I didn't know about the burglar alarm until like five months ago.

One time a burglar came to my sims house and stole the toilet but not the expensive flat screen they walked past. :lol:

Another time the game was being weird and said that I was prank calling the police and my sims were either asleep or I was controlling them. It fines me every five seconds please help!
  • Options
    Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 705 Member
    edited March 2014
    Chyla wrote:
    saladoor wrote:
    Chyla, I always put my alarm next to the front door on the outside, it just makes sense right! :oops: :shock:

We're the smart ones, aye? 8)

As am I. I put alarms both inside and outside and If I have a enough room, I put a fence with a gate around the lot then a one square wall next to the gate then put an alarm. I like for my sims to be secure :lol:
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • Options
    ReneeGeekmanReneeGeekman Posts: 1 New Member
    I havnt played the sims since the original game out in 2001 or 2002. My husband bought me sims 3 for my birthday.

I have a problem that the alarm doesnt go off, ever. and not only does it not go off, the police take so long to show up that the guy takes 4 to 5 items and is gone before they get there. (I have the sims call the police.) and every time the police show up, they steal stuff too. They regularly take the alarm and at least 1 other item before leaving. The police are robbing us too! and the alarm never, ever, ever goes off.

My sims could never get ahead financially because they got robbed nearly every day. so the robber would come and steal stuff, the police came and steal stuff, and the maid would steal stuff even days I ha money to pay her. When I fired her, she still continued to come in every day to clean and take things.

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    I havnt played the sims since the original game out in 2001 or 2002. My husband bought me sims 3 for my birthday.

I have a problem that the alarm doesn't go off, ever. and not only does it not go off, the police take so long to show up that the guy takes 4 to 5 items and is gone before they get there. (I have the sims call the police.) and every time the police show up, they steal stuff too. They regularly take the alarm and at least 1 other item before leaving. The police are robbing us too! and the alarm never, ever, ever goes off.

My sims could never get ahead financially because they got robbed nearly every day. so the robber would come and steal stuff, the police came and steal stuff, and the maid would steal stuff even days I ha money to pay her. When I fired her, she still continued to come in every day to clean and take things.
    I've never had a problem with the alarm not going off, provided it was either positioned outside or in the room of entry. It won't do any good if the burglar breaks in by way of a room that doesn't have one.

Is it possible that you are playing the base game (only) and it is not patched up all the way, at least to 1.67? This could have been something that was fixed in one of the very early patches.

As for maids, police, and other Service Sims stealing stuff, that can happen if they have the Kleptomaniac trait. If every one of them does, that's just an extremely unlucky draw. I've never seen this happen with more than one at a time. The game isn't supposed to be that impossible to play.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm also wondering whether you may be playing an unpatched game, because I don't recognize all the stealing, even by the police :o Does your house have the alarm by the way? It's not something that's in their house automatically, you have to buy one (just checking because you mention your sims have to call the police and it's not going off).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Just get a Bonehilda Coffin. She is WAY better than an alarm (she always wins against the crook), plus she'll do house chores too. :wink:

Just make sure your Sim doesn't have the "Coward" trait, as they get scared at the sight of Bonehilda and WILL flee.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    I never had a problem with the alarm...what I find strange owever is that dogs don't guard the house...I had more than one dogs, some had the agressive, but all barely react to thiefs...
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,942 Member
    Just get a Bonehilda Coffin. She is WAY better than an alarm (she always wins against the crook), plus she'll do house chores too. :wink:

Just make sure your Sim doesn't have the "Coward" trait, as they get scared at the sight of Bonehilda and WILL flee.

Another issue with Bonehilda is she gets easily distracted by a hopscotch game and will play day and night without a break to do anything else at all.
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    Every once in awhile I would get issues with burglary. One time I was playing in Aurora Skies and every single night for 7 days, the burglary showed up and stole something and the police were absolutely useless. It had to be a glitch because I've looked into the game files and there is a formula for burglary and this is not supposed to happen. I traveled to University and back and the problem stopped.

So it is possible to have glitches in the game. I know this is an old thread but if anyone is interested to a search and you'll find information about exactly what "rules" have to be in place for a burglar to come and how much of your stuff he takes.

I still liked it better in the original Sims when they called burglars "Some Sneaky Sim"
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,453 Member
    Chyla wrote: »
    saladoor wrote:
    Chyla, I always put my alarm next to the front door on the outside, it just makes sense right! :oops: :shock:

We're the smart ones, aye? 8)

Thank goodness they don't have a "lawyer" career track in Sims 3 bc that would be "entrapment" and the burglar could just plead "innocent intention". I always put it on the inside so that if someone makes a lawyer career track...the bugger is arrested INSIDE the house ~evil grin~ proving "intent to commit robbery".
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~