Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will the sims 4 work on my new macbook air?

Hi i recently purchased a 13" macbook air and i love it because it is very fast at loading. I really want to download the sims 4 and expansion packs/add ons which i had on my previous laptop that wasn't apple but I'm scared that the game won't work properly or be really slow or it might slow down my computer. Will that happen?

heres the specs:

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

Comments

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member
    The Macbook Air isn't really meant for any gaming; you may be able to play on medium settings with laptop mode enabled, but I'd go with low settings with laptop mode enabled.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • KassJessieKassJessie Posts: 3 New Member
    Thank you! So its not meant for gaming but does that mean it will slow down my laptop at all? Or will the game be fine?
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    You need to check the game specs against your computers specs. Some Mac Users are able to play it fine on Medium to Low Graphic settings.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • KassJessieKassJessie Posts: 3 New Member
    Okay thanks! how do i do that? Sorry I'm so bad with computers
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited April 2016
    Click on the Apple Logo at the left hand top of your screen. Then pull up a copy of Sims 4 (off of Origin or Amazon) and it should list the specs for the game. Compare the two and if you have enough memory, etc. you should be ok. :)
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • missmillycmissmillyc Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello, I was just wondering did you end up getting it on your MacBook Air 13 inch?
    I got a MacBook Air for Christmas and I am thinking of getting Sims 4 onto it... Has it cased you any trouble onto your MacBook or not? :)
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I have a 2014 mscbook air but with 8G RAM. Basically I have to play with low settings. It is slow loading but it is playable
  • ActuallySammyActuallySammy Posts: 299 Member
    edited February 2017
    KassJessie wrote: »
    Hi i recently purchased a 13" macbook air and i love it because it is very fast at loading. I really want to download the sims 4 and expansion packs/add ons which i had on my previous laptop that wasn't apple but I'm scared that the game won't work properly or be really slow or it might slow down my computer. Will that happen?

heres the specs:

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
    Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

@KassJessie @missmillyc I play the sims 4 on that same computer and runs pretty good on low quality. I would definitely say go ahead! Just a tip don't get to many mods and cc. This will slow down the game a lot. One mod i would recommend getting is the auto-save mod. Our macs aren't really designed to handle this type of game so it could crash.The Mod has saved my game a lot after i was playing for like 4 hours!! Anyways i would say sure get it. and when you run the game for the first time don't change the setting at all. Just so you know one day the mac won't be able to run the game but that won't happen for at least a year.
    Origin id: ActuallySammy
    If you want to respond to me please make sure to @ me.
  • obaker199obaker199 Posts: 8 New Member
    I'm getting a laptop for my birthday, and I originally wanted to get a MacBook Air, but lots of people are saying it's not meant for gaming. So should I just get a MacBook Pro? I do use a good amount of cc, and have like 3 or 4 expansion packs.
    The information it gives me is the following:
    Apple 13 Inch MacBook Pro / MD101LL/A / 2.5GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel HD 4000 Graphics, DVDRW, OSX Yosemite

I am just scared that MacBook pros are slow because my dad has one and it's super slow but that could be because it's really old and he has A BUNCH of files and other work related things on there.
    Or would this MacBook work better since it had more ram?
    Apple Macbook Retina Display 12 Inch (Full-HD LED Backlit IPS Display, Intel Core M-5Y31 1.1GHz up to 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, Gray)
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @obaker199

Both of those are terrible choices, sorry :(

13" MacBook Pro (mid 2012) - it has Intel HD 4000 graphics which barely manages to run the game these days given all the additional content added in patches and dependant on how many add on packs you have installed. It has also never really been powerful enough to properly run the game and has produced the opaque windows glitch from day one.

12" MacBook - absolutely NOT designed for gaming at all. The Intel CPU and integrated graphics are very low powered. It doesn't have a fan so is not capable of cooling itself which means the OS will severely throttle the power to avoid over heating.

A newer 13" would be a minimum choice but ideally you want a high end 15" MacBook Pro with dedicated NVIDIA (second hand) or AMD (current model) graphics.
    apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora I have city living, get to work, and get together and then cc. I used to have a macbook air 11.6 inch, and i would play on there and the only thing wrong with it was that it would heat up, and occasionally quit unexpectedly but other than that it ran fine. Of course I couldn't have the game settings on ultra or high, it was usually on medium or medium low. And I wont have a whole bunch of apps downloaded that drain the computer and slow it down. I would only have the sims downloaded and then the apps that come with the computer. And also, I don't play the sims ALL the time. I mean, I do play frequently but an excessive amount. And I don't save pictures to my computer or anything like that. I would really prefer to have a macbook air 13 inch instead of a bulky macbook pro. With everything said, do you still think that it would be a bad idea?
    but NOT*** an excessive amount.
    edited February 2017
    @obaker199

Personally, yes, I think it would be a bad idea because they are simply not powerful enough to game on (as you've found out with your 11" MBA heating up and quitting). The more heat produced the more stress on hardware over time which potentially can shorten the lifespan of any computer. It doesn't matter how much stuff you have on your Mac, so long as you have at least 10Gb of storage space left at any given time so the OS can function without struggling (20Gb ideally).

All 13" MacBook Airs and Pros have dual core processors, a quad core is preferable which only the 15" have. And a dedicated GPU is always preferable too, which only the high spec. 15" has. City Living is also causing issues on older/underpowered machines as is the recent toddler update. It's like the Sims 3 - after several years of patches and packs the lower spec. machines really started to struggle.

Plenty of people do play on the newer 13" MBPs but the one you're looking at is 5 years old.
    apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora Thanks for the information! The MacBook Air that I was thinking about has :
    Apple MMGF2LL/A MacBook Air 13.3-Inch Laptop (5th Gen Intel Core i5 1.6 GHz, 8 GB LPDDR3, 128 GB)
    And about the space on the laptop, I would definitely not use all of it, and I might not download my get to work pack. And also try to not play it as much as I used to. And I will put the graphs on low or medium low, and put it on laptop mode. This is of course if I get it.

• melissalungumelissalungu Posts: 655 Member
    We just bought a new MacBook Pro (2015 model) and I'm playing TS4 with GTW, DO installed and it plays perfectly. I just bought CL as they're offering it to me 50% off but I'm pretty confident that'll work with no problems too. It's downloading as I type, so I'll let you know if it doesn't play well or graphics are off. I think you need to go pro if you're definitely going with a Mac. I used to have an old Pro (2010 model) and that crashed a lot with TS3 but hardly ever with TS4. It did load slower than the new one, of course, but only marginally.
    If you have spare points as you own the store, why not spend them on me? Haha!!! My wishlist

My thank you thread

My profile

My Top 5 store items :smile:
    @melissalungu What kind of macbook pro do you have? Is it a 13 inch or a 12 inch? I really want a macbook air 13 inch because its light and not bulky. And I'm scared that the macbook pro is going to be slow. Do you think you could find a link on amazon to the kind that you have?
    obaker199 wrote: »
    @BluebellFlora Thanks for the information! The MacBook Air that I was thinking about has :
    Apple MMGF2LL/A MacBook Air 13.3-Inch Laptop (5th Gen Intel Core i5 1.6 GHz, 8 GB LPDDR3, 128 GB)
    And about the space on the laptop, I would definitely not use all of it, and I might not download my get to work pack. And also try to not play it as much as I used to. And I will put the graphs on low or medium low, and put it on laptop mode. This is of course if I get it.

Bear in mind that even if you buy it brand new it's still a computer that has 2 year old technology in it, it's the early 2015 model that Apple has not refreshed.

Thr MacBook Pros come in two sizes - 13" and 15" and there is a massive difference performance wise between the two. The MacBook is 12".

The MacBook Pros are thin and light nowadays. You should definitely go for a MBP over a MBA if you want to game. Even though the 13" has integrated graphics and a dual core processor it will still perform better than the MBA.

apple-signature.png
    Thanks! What are the slimmer MacBook pros called? I'm trying to find some on amazon but I keep finding a lot of the thick 13 inch ones. I'm looking for the slim 13 inch ones.
    Thanks! What are the slimmer MacBook pros called? I'm trying to find some on amazon but I keep finding a lot of the thick 13 inch ones. I'm looking for the slim 13 inch ones.

MacBook Pros have been thinner since around 2012/2013 when Apple stopped adding in optical drives. Amazon really isn't the best place to buy them though as it is a marketplace and doesn't necessarily have 100% accurate descriptions of what you're buying. Buying from Apple directly is always the best way, followed by APRs (Apple Premium Resellers) then reputable high street stores. What country are you in? You can put your postcode/zip code into Apple's site and it will bring up the closest places to you to buy one from.

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro
    apple-signature.png
    I'm trying to get one from amazon because they are cheaper than buying directly from the Apple Store.
    I'm trying to get one from amazon because they are cheaper than buying directly from the Apple Store.

Do you have links? There will be a reason as to why they're cheaper - second hand/non-standard keyboard/different region charger/inaccurate description. Also, Apple no longer make the 13" MacBook Pro with the optical drive.

apple-signature.png
    @melissalungu What kind of macbook pro do you have? Is it a 13 inch or a 12 inch? I really want a macbook air 13 inch because its light and not bulky. And I'm scared that the macbook pro is going to be slow. Do you think you could find a link on amazon to the kind that you have?

This one https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Laptops/Apple-MacBook-13-inch-Laptop-Intel-Core-Graphics/B00UY2U93W/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1487889082&sr=1-1&keywords=macbook+pro

But we bought ours here: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-13-with-retina-display-2015-10118354-pdt.html
    If you have spare points as you own the store, why not spend them on me? Haha!!! My wishlist

My thank you thread

My profile

It is a 13" one...the 15" was about £300 more expensive and just not worth it considering that the 13" does what we need. And if we need it bigger, we can always HDMI to a bigger screen x

My thank you thread

My profile

• LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Hello! I've got one of the newer 13-inch Macbook Pros (early 2015), the Sims 4 works pretty well on it. The computer gets really warm, so I make sure to take breaks to let the laptop cool down and I keep it cooler by putting a curved plate (the future is now! :D )

I've only got one pack so far (Parenthood) and I don't use cc, so I don't know how the game/Macbook would react. I keep my game on mostly low settings with laptop mode (I keep long-distance and reflection on because I like them) and my game works fairly smoothly. It has crashed once or twice (I was messing around with graphics quality) but other than that it's been fantastic!

Also, I'm a student so I use my laptop for my schoolwork and I use office programs like Microsoft Word, OneNote, and PowerPoint. I've never had a Mac before, so it was a bit of a learning curve, but it's great! I hope you find the laptop that works for you :smile: