Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 worlds are much better than in Sims 4

Comments

• ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited September 2016
    Sims 3 worlds allow you to dream, and build on it. Of course it's barren from the jump but you open up CAW and you can start throwing trees, and shrubs everywhere. Sims 4 worlds are what you see, and all you get.

1.) CAW wasn't for Mac
    2.) CAW came in an expansion pack
    3.) In TS4, you could just enter Build Mode and edit anything, with no expansions, and Mac users could do it.

CAW did not come in an expansion pack. CAW is a stand alone tool released in late 2009

As far as I know in TS4 you can't even edit community lots with in game build mode, let alone sculpt an entire world.

TS3 will let you do that. You can edit anything you want, even the terrain itself that isn't part of the lots. You may only put down trees, rocks, landmarks, or other decorative items, but the fact remains that you can edit it. I think it has far more creative freedom than anything in TS4.

Edit to add quote.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,859 Member
    Glad I love and play both versions. The world I'm currently working on in Sims 3 is New Sunset Valley by SimsFan. It's a huge world with lots from every expansion pack, including dive lots. Having so much fun renovating them into some type of cohesive theme. Got a long way to go before I get it just right which is why I love to jump back into the Sims 4 when I just want to play.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Sims 3 worlds allow you to dream, and build on it. Of course it's barren from the jump but you open up CAW and you can start throwing trees, and shrubs everywhere. Sims 4 worlds are what you see, and all you get.

1.) CAW wasn't for Mac
    2.) CAW came in an expansion pack
    3.) In TS4, you could just enter Build Mode and edit anything, with no expansions, and Mac users could do it.

CAW is a standalone program that was released as an open beta and received little to no updates as the game expanded. Even now it is still classified as "Create a World - beta" even though it's been out since Dec 2009 and has long since been unsupported.

One of the reasons I suspect Mac users never got CAW is due to TS3 being a cider port versus a native build. The Sims 3 (on Mac) had a lot of issues that were never addressed, and the tool itself was not heavily optimized for PC users (I ran into corruption frequently) so if they ported that over I can only imagine the complications that would need to be addressed for the tool to work as it did on the PC.

The Sims 4 is the next generation of Sims where no one has the ability to create their own world. Neither Mac users or PC have this ability. Editing lots is very shallow compared to creating an entire world, and it's definitely not a positive.
  • Vr240253Vr240253 Posts: 28 Member
    indeed sims 3 open world concept is preferred. played sims 4 for a month and went back to sims 3. the constant loading time kills the game interest...
  • DarkWalkerDarkWalker Posts: 64 Member
    Originally I liked Sims 3 open worlds better. Now, however, I mostly prefer the Sims 4 approach.

Why? Because Sims 4 naturally works like the modded "UberHoods" of Sims 2. You get to play with all the released neighborhoods simultaneously, to visit all the worlds with a single family if you so wish. I don't have to give up on apartments to be able to visit the vampire-themed neighborhood, for example.

Also, instant travel time. It might not be realistic, but I sure enjoy that I can go to a community venue or visit another sim home, even if it's in a different world altogether, without wasting half my sim's free time just getting there.

The one thing missing for me is the possibility of editing the worlds and adding more of them. In this both Sims 2 and Sims 3 were superior to what we currently have in Sims 4, but now that I have a reasonable number of neighborhoods to play with (having purchased every pack that adds new neighborhoods) this isn't a dealbreaker for me anymore.
  • DarkWalkerDarkWalker Posts: 64 Member
    edited February 2017
    Sorry about the double post, got a forum error and thought my post hadn't been posted. Anyone knows how I can delete it?
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2017
    DarkWalker wrote: »
    Originally I liked Sims 3 open worlds better. Now, however, I mostly prefer the Sims 4 approach.

Why? Because Sims 4 naturally works like the modded "UberHoods" of Sims 2. You get to play with all the released neighborhoods simultaneously, to visit all the worlds with a single family if you so wish. I don't have to give up on apartments to be able to visit the vampire-themed neighborhood, for example.

Also, instant travel time. It might not be realistic, but I sure enjoy that I can go to a community venue or visit another sim home, even if it's in a different world altogether, without wasting half my sim's free time just getting there.

The one thing missing for me is the possibility of editing the worlds and adding more of them. In this both Sims 2 and Sims 3 were superior to what we currently have in Sims 4, but now that I have a reasonable number of neighborhoods to play with (having purchased every pack that adds new neighborhoods) this isn't a dealbreaker for me anymore.
    Open world doesn't rule out instant travel time. In fact teleporting a sim in a TS3 open world is much faster than a loading screen.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited February 2017
    I just did a 'speed' test, because I was curious what the differences effectively are between travelling in an open world and travelling between loading screens (for 'scientific' reasons, not because I care but because others seem to care; I don't mind waiting for a bit in 4 myself and I love travelling through an open world).

I made sure to be as 'honest' as possible, so all the sims testing for me were standing in their house and I included everything while timing. Also zooming out to press 'travel' in TS4, and zooming out to view town in TS3 and looking for/selecting the spot I wanted my sim to travel to. Everything was clocked from the moment I decide my sim has to travel till the very moment they arrive there.

Sims 3

I picked Hidden Springs, sending my sim from A to B.

Hidden%20Springs_zpsox1i4uvf.png
    Hidden%20Springs2_zps9qqsaodf.png

Slowest car (3): 35 seconds real time (speed 3)
    Sim time: 11:07 – 12:12 (= 65 minutes)
    Fastest car (10): 21 seconds real time (speed 3)
    Sim time: 17:23-17:55 (= 32 minutes)
    Teleporting (cheat): 15 seconds real time (all-in, finding the spot B on the map and give order to teleport); sim time: 18:13-18:14 (= 1 minute to the very spot you want your sim to be)

Sims 4

From hallway to the café in Windenburg: 30 seconds real time
    Back home: 35 seconds real time (due to walking time till loading screen, I used speed 3 of course)
    Sim time going: 12:14-12:16 (=2 seconds); returning home: 2:32-2:42 (=10 minutes)

This on the same computer, obviously.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    @JoAnne65 That's a really neat test you did with the timing! I prefer the open world of 3- no matter the timing to be honest. It feels more real to have to travel to get places, I never used the teleport option in 3 at all. I liked watching my sim bike around town. I really miss that when I'm playing in 4 but, of course, I might feel differently trying to get through the San Myshuno commute from the Spice District to Uptown- LOL! I'd want to have and use mass transit in that case!
    @JoAnne65 That's a really neat test you did with the timing! I prefer the open world of 3- no matter the timing to be honest. It feels more real to have to travel to get places, I never used the teleport option in 3 at all. I liked watching my sim bike around town. I really miss that when I'm playing in 4 but, of course, I might feel differently trying to get through the San Myshuno commute from the Spice District to Uptown- LOL! I'd want to have and use mass transit in that case!
    Thanks :smiley: I did the teleporting thing in the very beginning, when I had just started to play Sims 3. Appreciating the travelling and indeed the reality of the time it takes to go somewhere came after a a few months for me ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    Considering that better is subjective, you're as much right and wrong as everyone else :)

I however prefer sims 4, mainly because I don't have to fear my game crashing if the world gets a little too populated. Also, I really like that you're not limited to one world. You can live in the city when your sim is young, move out to the suburbs when they have children and still go back and visit old friends. I really miss that option when I play the sims 3 nowadays.
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    TS3 worlds/neighborhoods are the best in the series.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • HeidrHeidr Posts: 148 Member
    Even though I don't really have all those lag problems that some people states about SIMS 3, I still really prefer Sims 4 because their graphic is not as creepy as Sims 3. Just looking at the way each sims stand creeps me lol.

Put aside the bug where your sim can't even catch up to people who they need to talk with in the other side of the world. I'm so used with running around just to interview a sim who move from here and there every 5 minutes. Not to forget, the bug where a pile of sims stuck in a geometry and forcing me to reset the whole sims to fix them. Then the bug where your sim automatically teleported somewhere else when entering the rabbit hole under water. Or the bug where your camera suddenly focus on where a fire on completely unrelated household started. The bug where suddenly a mysterious oval appears on ground and block everything your sim want to do, forcing you to use mods to clean them.

To put it simply, the game was not perfect, but Sims 4 has way more hope on being more perfect than Sims 3. They are still under development and it's too early to compare them with a complete game like Sims 3. I'll take one example, look at the way they allow us to create an androgyny sims, or the way they allow us to control how we want to make our sims family? Seriously. Too early to compare.
  • KajkaElinaKajkaElina Posts: 201 Member
    I think that you are right about some remarks.... Worlds in TS4 should be more bigger and they should have got larger public areas, where our Sims could go around. However I personally like how neighborhoods look in TS4: I love all the details, lighting etc. I hope that Gurus will improve worlds in the future.....perhaps, will they give us the possibility to add more lots in the current towns? Or Create a World (I should say a neighborhood! ;)...) maybe!

https://www.google.it/search?q=neighborhoods+sims+4&biw=1440&bih=775&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UcOfVcmWLYbxUpnBorgL&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#imgrc=hP1BXHlq179qdM:

Nope, sorry. New worlds might get better, but I doubt it and the other stuff... That would take too much programming and work, for being released for free. Toddlers weren't that hard to make, it's just another life state, but reworking worlds is far too hard.
    CATS ARE THE BEST!

My Origin ID is catKajka.
    edited February 2017
    Gullveig wrote: »
    Even though I don't really have all those lag problems that some people states about SIMS 3, I still really prefer Sims 4 because their graphic is not as creepy as Sims 3. Just looking at the way each sims stand creeps me lol.

Put aside the bug where your sim can't even catch up to people who they need to talk with in the other side of the world. I'm so used with running around just to interview a sim who move from here and there every 5 minutes. Not to forget, the bug where a pile of sims stuck in a geometry and forcing me to reset the whole sims to fix them. Then the bug where your sim automatically teleported somewhere else when entering the rabbit hole under water. Or the bug where your camera suddenly focus on where a fire on completely unrelated household started. The bug where suddenly a mysterious oval appears on ground and block everything your sim want to do, forcing you to use mods to clean them.

To put it simply, the game was not perfect, but Sims 4 has way more hope on being more perfect than Sims 3. They are still under development and it's too early to compare them with a complete game like Sims 3. I'll take one example, look at the way they allow us to create an androgyny sims, or the way they allow us to control how we want to make our sims family? Seriously. Too early to compare.
    Sorry, but what's 'creepy graphics'? And what has 'the way sims stand' got to do with the worlds (I'm not a fan of Sims 4 sims' postures by the way)? The 'bugs' you mention confuse me by the way. My sims can catch up with everyone everywhere and fires only start in active households so huh? The oval is irritating (though rare), you can simply remove it by using testingcheats though and again, what has this got to do with the world? And the bugged underwater caves are a nuisance but not related to worlds. And the relation between androgyny sims and the worlds is...? What statement are you trying to make here? Sims 4 is bugless? Your post reads like a big question mark to me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Sorry, but what's 'creepy graphics'? And what has 'the way sims stand' got to do with the worlds (I'm not a fan of Sims 4 sims' postures by the way)? The 'bugs' you mention confuse me by the way (my sims can catch up with everyone everywhere and fires only start in active households so huh? The oval is irritating (though rare), you can simply remove it by using testingcheats though and again, what has this got to do with the world? And the relation between androgyny sims and the worlds is...? What statement are you trying to make here? Sims 4 is bugless. Your post reads like a big question mark to me.

It seems to me that the post in question obviously reads as "I prefer the aesthetics and play of X title because of the following reasons". While you don't need to necessarily agree it would probably be best for everyone involved if you come to terms with the fact that people will see things differently than you. There's no need to enter into inquisition mode every time you see someone prefer something over The Sims 3.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »

Sorry, but what's 'creepy graphics'? And what has 'the way sims stand' got to do with the worlds (I'm not a fan of Sims 4 sims' postures by the way)? The 'bugs' you mention confuse me by the way (my sims can catch up with everyone everywhere and fires only start in active households so huh? The oval is irritating (though rare), you can simply remove it by using testingcheats though and again, what has this got to do with the world? And the relation between androgyny sims and the worlds is...? What statement are you trying to make here? Sims 4 is bugless. Your post reads like a big question mark to me.

It seems to me that the post in question obviously reads as "I prefer the aesthetics and play of X title because of the following reasons". While you don't need to necessarily agree it would probably be best for everyone involved if you come to terms with the fact that people will see things differently than you. There's no need to enter into inquisition mode every time you see someone prefer something over The Sims 3.

Yes true, but I think what @JoAnne65 is saying is that the post that was quoted has almost nothing to do with the title of this thread. That's why the inquisition.
    aricarai wrote: »

Yes true, but I think what @JoAnne65 is saying is that the post that was quoted has almost nothing to do with the title of this thread. That's why the inquisition.

Yes, but the point stands that we do not need to break out the iron maiden every time we see something of the sort. Not that any of you will consider changing that approach.
    edited February 2017
    aricarai wrote: »

Exactly. Are graphics the subject? Nope. Are bugs? Nope. I reacted to a post that made no sense in relation to the topic. I think by the way it's rather the other way around, people have to come to terms with the fact not everybody is a Sims 3 hater. Seems to me that's quite a task for some.

"I have this opinion about Sims 3!"
    "Oh, well, I have this opinion about Sims 3 but we actually were discussing Sims 4."
    "Shut up shut up shut uuuuuuuuup!!!!"
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited February 2017
    That is exactly the sort of response I expected. Nothing if not predictable. Well, enjoy your forum brawl. Such a lovely community.
    That is exactly the sort of response I expected. Nothing if not predictable. Well, enjoy your forum brawl. Such a lovely community.
    Sure it's predictable for you, you are suffering from DSS. Double Standards Syndrome. Defending Sims 4 and slating Sims 3 is ok, defending Sims 3 and criticizing Sims 4 is not. I had my vaccination though so I react the way I want to.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • smolsimsmolsim Posts: 12 New Member
    That feeling when you only bought the sims 4 so you have to google what they're talking about and what the worlds look like,

From a person who hasn't played the sims 3 view, they've both got their pros and cons.

The Sims 4:

+Maps look more clean and vector-like
    +Graphics look nice
    +Quality over quantity
    -Less space for buildings, less buildings you can place.
    -You get bored, there's not that much activities to do when you only have a small amount of plots.
    +Looks easier to use, yet again, I haven't played The Sims 3.

The Sims 3:

+More varieties of maps, very nice looking, still.
    +/- The amount of maps and houses kind of make you feel lost, but more plots mean more fun in my opinion.
    +It's quite imaginative.
    +/-The Sims 3 was made in 2009, they spent 5 years developing these maps.
    +Looks nice.

idk

im not that kind of person who fixates on stuff.
    Sure it's predictable for you, you are suffering from DSS. Double Standards Syndrome. Defending Sims 4 and slating Sims 3 is ok, defending Sims 3 and criticizing Sims 4 is not. I had my vaccination though so I react the way I want to.

Well, you can think that I am insane if you like, but I'm not the one having the same fight over and over again every single day. For two years. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top