Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Change the graphics!

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    I love the graphics, art style, whatever you want to call it and the way the sims look. This is the first version I haven't felt the need to use any custom genetic content.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited January 2017
    Compare it PROPERLY.

99fc7e5974c725eaad4788b914b5b900.png

Honestly, the increase in quality becomes smaller each time. The differences between 1 and 2 are a big leap, the difference between 2 and 3 is quite clear but lower, but between 3 and 4 is more subtle. You have to accept that this was inevitable or you just display your ignorance about how technology evolves.

Hair seems to have taken a step into being a bit cartoony, but I wouldn't say it's a step BACK. Something of a step SIDEWAYS. The actual face has a lot more going for it. And just think about how much detail you can get in CAS now!
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    edited January 2017
    I highly highly doubt they are going to change the "cartoony" art style in the sims 4. :D In my opinion it looks sooooo much better than the sims 3. To be honest with you I hated how the sims looked in the sims 3. They all kinda looked the same to me and kinda ugly too but thats just my opinion! I mean I feel like I wouldn't have minded if they used the same style of sims from the sims 2 in 3 but then again I don't know how the sims would have looked in the world.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2017
    Loanet wrote: »
    Compare it PROPERLY.

99fc7e5974c725eaad4788b914b5b900.png

Honestly, the increase in quality becomes smaller each time. The differences between 1 and 2 are a big leap, the difference between 2 and 3 is quite clear but lower, but between 3 and 4 is more subtle. You have to accept that this was inevitable or you just display your ignorance about how technology evolves.

Hair seems to have taken a step into being a bit cartoony, but I wouldn't say it's a step BACK. Something of a step SIDEWAYS. The actual face has a lot more going for it. And just think about how much detail you can get in CAS now!
    I'm not sure why you are comparing graphics here based on a poorly created adult sim with bad hair in Sims 3 to an early stage render of Sims 4 and call it properly. This discussion isn't about CAS, it's about graphics. Comparing graphics (skipping Sims 1 because I don't have pictures from that game):

Sims 2.

Baby_zps8urthaba.jpg

Sims 3.

Cameron_0363_zpskkzfxcgo.png

Sims 4.

20-6-16_23-30-14_zpsvrt573bd.png

I must say I'm content with the graphics of all three of them. Sims 4 has the best graphics, it would be very strange if it hadn't. It does have less detail in some areas though (which I don't quite understand). I'd say Sims 2 and 3 have similar art style. Some prefer that, others prefer the new art style. I have a feeling the OP is referring to that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I don't think that's a product of having this art style; it's more so a product of having designers who think the game should be La La Land, 24/7.

I really miss the grungy aesthetic of much TS2/TS3 furniture. It really made progression in the game feel genuine, as the interior of your Sim's home would vastly change as their economic standing improved.

Quoted from SimGuruNick in the Stop inviting my child sims to bars thread (in this section):
    ...The Sims is a safe environment with no threats whatsoever from other Sims...

Disclaimer: this is a partial quote. I feel it may have been in jest and it is not my intention to twist the words around. It was related to toddlers, but that particular sentence rings true to me in this game. Like the part I bolded, it is a safe game. Being in La-la-Land has been increasingly expected from me.

Safer. Simpler. Etc.

The cake dancers and sims getting drunk were removed from S1. Sims slapping each other and getting into autonomous fights was toned down from S2 and removed from S3. The game has been increasingly friendlier with each iteration. In S3, I have nowhere near the number of enemies in the friendship panel without the use of mods. In S4, they have friendly chats right after an insult. The game is child-safe.

A safe, simple game is exactly the opposite of what I want from The Sims. I desire a complex life simulation where I can do anything with my Sims.

For instance, I'd love to have a game where I can have a Sim be a complete jerk, running into the grocery store, throwing things off shelves at other Sims, and getting into fights. Maybe even rob the place, with guns and all. And then, I want my other Sim, a cop, to be the hero and save the day.

Before anyone tells me to go play GTA, I think The Sims could handle this type of content with great humor, while also achieving what I want. That's how it used to be in the past. You would have robbers, and random fights, and so on, but they'd always be sure to twist it in a way where it was funny, and exciting to watch. The game just never got stale.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    The newer cartoon look is not good, reminds me of Play Station 2 graphic from games like Jax & Dexter & Spyro, even that is a over statement. Kind seems to childish looking like Loony Toons.

We have gone back in time with graphics this seems like it should of been released after Sims 1 not Sims 3! Yes you read that right even Sims 2 graphics are better!

I dont think you understand the difference between graphics and art style. The sims 4 without a doubt had better graphics than its predecessors, thats a fact. The art style howevet is subjective.

However The sims was ALWAYS meant to be a cartoony game, in that respect the sims 3 was the odd one out. I love the sims 4 art style.

It is the same thing that I say with the legend of zelda, it works better as a cartoon.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited January 2017
    The newer cartoon look is not good, reminds me of Play Station 2 graphic from games like Jax & Dexter & Spyro, even that is a over statement. Kind seems to childish looking like Loony Toons.

We have gone back in time with graphics this seems like it should of been released after Sims 1 not Sims 3! Yes you read that right even Sims 2 graphics are better!

I dont think you understand the difference between graphics and art style. The sims 4 without a doubt had better graphics than its predecessors, thats a fact. The art style howevet is subjective.

However The sims was ALWAYS meant to be a cartoony game, in that respect the sims 3 was the odd one out. I love the sims 4 art style.

It is the same thing that I say with the legend of zelda, it works better as a cartoon.

What is the difference? I think I get the two confused sometimes.
    edited January 2017
    aricarai wrote: »

Graphics to me means the quality of how everything looks, how sharp and rounded the game looks. Art style is rather choice of colour and cartoony or realistic, things like that. Graphics to me feels objective, while appreciating the art style is more subjective. Graphics can improve, art style not.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited January 2017
    Different people have different preferences. I personally love the look of sims 4.

I feel the same way. I love the look for the sims 4 and wouldn't want to see it differently really.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Not sure I like it either as I liked to, especially in S3, go from poverty to wealth and in previous versions you could almost smell the mold and decay of the houses and the Sims themselves, now it looks like Disney has taken over :P

I don't think that's a product of having this art style; it's more so a product of having designers who think the game should be La La Land, 24/7.

I really miss the grungy aesthetic of much TS2/TS3 furniture. It really made progression in the game feel genuine, as the interior of your Sim's home would vastly change as their economic standing improved.

Oh I agree! I was so happy to see the 'used' fridge and stove and counter options with CL with the grungier, worn out edges and such. And the cracked wall decals and such in Vampires SP
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Graphics to me means the quality of how everything looks, how sharp and rounded the game looks. Art style is rather choice of colour and cartoony or realistic, things like that. Graphics to me feels objective, while appreciating the art style is more subjective. Graphics can improve, art style not.

If that's the case, I don't see better graphics in TS4, that's why I asked the difference because I thought it might be that but I don't see it. Thanks for explaining :mrgreen:
  • MeepMorpMeepMorp Posts: 85 Member
    I hope they'll actually never step away from the comic style again to be honest. Sims 3 was so often in the Uncanny Valley... so nope, I'm glad they went back to more comic looking Sims. Though I have to admit I really loved the nature in Sims 3. It looked amazing. But I also love nature in Sims 4. It's fitting and looks great in my opinion.
  • AobaAoba Posts: 33 Member
    Don't get me wrong, I love all of the previous games, but I also really like how easy it is to make good looking sims in this.
    Most of my sims in 2 and 3 suffered from same face because it was hard to make them look not creepy otherwise.
    I enjoy how easy it is to make a diverse cast of sims now without making them overly plastic.
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Yeah, it definitely looks cartoony but that's not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion, Sims look great and they look just as realistic as the ones from the previous games.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

If that's the case, I don't see better graphics in TS4, that's why I asked the difference because I thought it might be that but I don't see it. Thanks for explaining :mrgreen:

It has to do with everything from the amount of polygons to amount of particle effects to amount the resolution.

The lighting system is much more detailed etc, the graphics are better.

Art style however is like comparing realistic gameplay to anime. Often times realistic has better graphics but sims 4 is newer than 3.

Its hard to explain. Take the zelda games for example. Ocarina of time vs wind waker . Ocarina of time is very polygonal on the n64, however it goes for a more realistic art style. Wind waker however has a cartoony art style. However wind waker has better graphics than ocarina of time despite being cartoony. Thr art style however, realistic vs cartoony is subjective.

If we compare wind waker to twilight princess then the games are on par graphics wise, but the art styles are different. Sims 4 has better graphics being produced later than sims 3, but some people prefer sims 3's art style.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

In some ways I think it's better - certainly on lower settings - but in some ways it seems to be more simplified. I for instance regret how everything looks kind of made out of the same material.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I prefer realism, but I nonetheless enjoy the graphics a lot. What's most important, IMO, is that the whole of it is consistent. And it is, which for me makes it easy to forget that they're a bit cartoonish. Because I just start living in a world that is 100% the art style for the game. My mind adapts to it.

There are steadily more options for making characters in this game look more realistic through CC. But I don't know if there will ever be something that's enough of an overhaul to draw me into using it consistently. Ultimately, to make it fit, you'd need an overhaul of virtually every gameplay object, texture, UI, etc. And I doubt that's going to happen. Not to mention it might end up being so taxing no one would be able to run it with good performance levels, along with the rest of the game.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
    Triplis wrote: »
    I prefer realism, but I nonetheless enjoy the graphics a lot. What's most important, IMO, is that the whole of it is consistent. And it is, which for me makes it easy to forget that they're a bit cartoonish. Because I just start living in a world that is 100% the art style for the game. My mind adapts to it.

There are steadily more options for making characters in this game look more realistic through CC. But I don't know if there will ever be something that's enough of an overhaul to draw me into using it consistently. Ultimately, to make it fit, you'd need an overhaul of virtually every gameplay object, texture, UI, etc. And I doubt that's going to happen. Not to mention it might end up being so taxing no one would be able to run it with good performance levels, along with the rest of the game.
    My problem isn't so much the cartoony graphics, I basically like how I can make my sims look in the game (especially the females). The problem for me are a lot of the facial animations. If there was a mod available to tone that down I'd most certainly install it ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Triplis wrote: »

My problem isn't so much the cartoony graphics, I basically like how I can make my sims look in the game (especially the females). The problem for me are a lot of the facial animations. If there was a mod available to tone that down I'd most certainly install it ;)
    I can agree with that. Like I'm sitting here trying to capture likeness and watching as the sim's features are going to be stretched to kingdom come anyway. I think they look their best with subtler facial animations.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    Not sure I'd call the art style cartoony. Now cartoons are much more detailed and have better textures. Nothing like skins shining like plastic, grass looking like green linoleum, decor looking like cardboard in the background. The extremely stylized clouds are more cartoony, but too much for my taste. As for colors, grass is a bit too saturated, but it's a problem with grass and trees in the Sims 3's base game as well.
    But given how very low poly everything other than the sims is, using realistic textures on that stuff would have looked horrible. It has to look stylized, but I regret that it often looks like cheap plastic toys rather than actual cartoony style. That said, there is no excuse for making such low poly meshes in 2014. They'd have been fine at the time the Sims 2 was released. But not now. And this issue alone is enough to ruin how a game looks. No amount of shiny and colorful textures can hide the low poly.
  • SuRihtanilSuRihtanil Posts: 1,456 Member
    The graphics will never change, they're the prototypical mmo themed graphics when sims 4 launched... popular art style then. I am sure sims 5 will be offline geared single player project whenever it comes out and the graphical woes will be corrected and it will be cutting edge.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member

I don't like it either, I want something that looks more real.
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    SuRihtanil wrote: »
    I am sure sims 5 will be offline geared single player project whenever it comes out and the graphical woes will be corrected and it will be cutting edge.

I'm more pessimistic about that. Even with many hardcore fans, the Sims is mainly aimed at casual gamers and for this reason I doubt we ever get cutting edge graphics. That said, I still hope that you're right, I'd love seeing it happen. I just don't think that Maxis will follow this direction. At least not any time soon.
  • lmkiturelmkiture Posts: 1,206 Member
    To be fair...Looney Toons weren't all that childish. Just saying. It's also not a matter of graphics, but style. If you are having poor graphics, check settings/specs.
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    TS2 is great, but not the graphics in the year 2017... TS4 graphics are smooth. Even when they smile there are little to no creases or "cracks" in their face, unlike TS2. But in the end, it's different strokes for different folks. I personally love the art style.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif

It has to do with everything from the amount of polygons to amount of particle effects to amount the resolution.

The lighting system is much more detailed etc, the graphics are better.

Art style however is like comparing realistic gameplay to anime. Often times realistic has better graphics but sims 4 is newer than 3.

Its hard to explain. Take the zelda games for example. Ocarina of time vs wind waker . Ocarina of time is very polygonal on the n64, however it goes for a more realistic art style. Wind waker however has a cartoony art style. However wind waker has better graphics than ocarina of time despite being cartoony. Thr art style however, realistic vs cartoony is subjective.

If we compare wind waker to twilight princess then the games are on par graphics wise, but the art styles are different. Sims 4 has better graphics being produced later than sims 3, but some people prefer sims 3's art style.

Thanks for explaining. :mrgreen:

If I'm understanding what you're saying (and correct me if I'm wrong), I wouldn't say it's a fact that TS4 has better graphics, with the textures looking flat (grass, bark, hair like clay)...or is that art style? I think I've confused myself again :lol:

Maybe it's just that I don't like the aesthetics of the game, but as you stated, that's subjective.