Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Change the graphics!

The newer cartoon look is not good, reminds me of Play Station 2 graphic from games like Jax & Dexter & Spyro, even that is a over statement. Kind seems to childish looking like Loony Toons.

We have gone back in time with graphics this seems like it should of been released after Sims 1 not Sims 3! Yes you read that right even Sims 2 graphics are better!

Comments

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I beg to differ! No way is ts2 graphics better.

I love both ts3 and ts4 graphics, they both have awesome styles.
  • Options
    griffin1842griffin1842 Posts: 255 Member
    Different people have different preferences. I personally love the look of sims 4.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    I think the style is way too cartoony also. It feels like I'm in the middle of a Saturday morning kids cartoon program when I play (do they even still show cartoons on Saturday mornings?), and it keeps me from getting immersed in the game.

I also don't like it because it lacks versatility. Of course the 'happy happy joy joy' programming prevents it anyway, but it's really difficult to create diverse characters because of the way they all look like silly smiling clowns with eyebrows that jump up and down or diverse environments because everything looks like it is made of plastic; reminds me of a child's dollhouse.

I really hope with the next Sims game they go back to a more flexible art style.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    there is nothing wrong with the sims4 graphics they fit perfectly with the game and the fact that we are now in a 64 bit era and i love the look of the sims4.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member
    I agree.
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    I like it. Reminds me of a Pixar movie or something /shrugs.

--T
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    PosterGirlPosterGirl Posts: 641 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    I like it. Reminds me of a Pixar movie or something /shrugs.

--T

It's funny that you say that. Although I really like the way the sims look in ts4 being cartoony, they don't remind me of Pixar characters. Ts3 sims, imo, look more pixarish with the round faces.

I feel like the cartoony look of ts4 sims look more natural and progresses nicely speaking of ts2 to ts4. I couldn't get over the pudding look, sunken eyeballs and other things related to ts3 art style of the sims themselves. I did like the environment though and wish ts4 had a better sky and more detailed night.

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    No. I like this style much better than the last one. And much better than sims 2. ( even though I love sims 2)

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I love The Sims 4's art style compared to the predecessors. I just wish they took advantage of it more, by animating hair and such.

I hope, if there is going to be a TS5, they maintain this art style but go way more detailed with textures.
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited January 2017
    Not sure I like it either as I liked to, especially in S3, go from poverty to wealth and in previous versions you could almost smell the mold and decay of the houses and the Sims themselves, now it looks like Disney has taken over :P
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited January 2017
    Not sure I like it either as I liked to, especially in S3, go from poverty to wealth and in previous versions you could almost smell the mold and decay of the houses and the Sims themselves, now it looks like Disney has taken over :P

I don't think that's a product of having this art style; it's more so a product of having designers who think the game should be La La Land, 24/7.

I really miss the grungy aesthetic of much TS2/TS3 furniture. It really made progression in the game feel genuine, as the interior of your Sim's home would vastly change as their economic standing improved.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I don't think that's a product of having this art style; it's more so a product of having designers who think the game should be La La Land, 24/7.

I really miss the grungy aesthetic of much TS2/TS3 furniture. It really made progression in the game feel genuine, as the interior of your Sim's home would vastly change as their economic standing improved.

Quoted from SimGuruNick in the Stop inviting my child sims to bars thread (in this section):
    ...The Sims is a safe environment with no threats whatsoever from other Sims...

Disclaimer: this is a partial quote. I feel it may have been in jest and it is not my intention to twist the words around. It was related to toddlers, but that particular sentence rings true to me in this game. Like the part I bolded, it is a safe game. Being in La-la-Land has been increasingly expected from me.

Safer. Simpler. Etc.

The cake dancers and sims getting drunk were removed from S1. Sims slapping each other and getting into autonomous fights was toned down from S2 and removed from S3. The game has been increasingly friendlier with each iteration. In S3, I have nowhere near the number of enemies in the friendship panel without the use of mods. In S4, they have friendly chats right after an insult. The game is child-safe.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2017
    Are we talking graphics here or art style? That's not the same thing I think? I would mind cartoony art style less if it would have been spot on (cartoon with quality depends on that) and if the shape of objects would have been better. But the graphics as such are quite right aren't they?
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I like the TS4 art style.

If you don't like it there is a ton of custom content you can use to update pretty much everything. You can get terrain overrides, lighting overrides, cc that changes the look of the Sims to make them more photo-realistic if that's what you want. You can basically change the entire look of the game with cc.

We all have different tastes and custom content supports that.

I would say that some items could be a little bit more detailed or have better textures, but this seems to have been improving as the game progresses.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Same If they didn't choose the art style we have now I probably wouldn't have paid the Sims 4 any attention.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    I have to say I really enjoy TS4 graphics, they are the one thing that make me long for TS4 to have good gameplay.

If TS2 had TS4 CAS, I wouldnt touch any other game.

But yeah, I agree that it is cartoony. On one hand, I think it's good because it makes it look potentially less cringy then the realistic approach, and also the sims are more expressive. It gives a timeless look to the game as well, I think TS4 will age better in terms of graphics. On the other hand, it breaks immersion and gives the environments a fake look - most of the textures remind me of plastic.

You can make sims more realistic with the use of mods, by improving the textures and so on, but I think in the end the graphic style is just one factor. I think the other important factor is, indeed, the style of the game itself: immutable, sanitized, conflict-aversion world.

I liked the old school art style of the game, from TS1 - the textures were realistic within the world, even the low poly dolls had a more realistic approach. But it was easier then, since the objects were pre-rendered models - today its harder to make good textures without taxing the hardware. A compromise could be made between the realistic and cartoony look, maybe?
  • Options
    REDMAVENREDMAVEN Posts: 57 Member
    I like the graphics of TS4, and if I want something more realistic such as skin tones and hair textures and meshes, I go get some CC from one of the many lovely fansites. I know some people think: 'We shouldn't have to get mods, it should just be that way' But, not every system can handle detailed graphics and intricate shading, so the base game graphics allow the game to be playable for most, while allowing folks to enhance their own experiences through the creation and use of CC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Quoted from SimGuruNick in the Stop inviting my child sims to bars thread (in this section):

Disclaimer: this is a partial quote. I feel it may have been in jest and it is not my intention to twist the words around. It was related to toddlers, but that particular sentence rings true to me in this game. Like the part I bolded, it is a safe game. Being in La-la-Land has been increasingly expected from me.

Safer. Simpler. Etc.

The cake dancers and sims getting drunk were removed from S1. Sims slapping each other and getting into autonomous fights was toned down from S2 and removed from S3. The game has been increasingly friendlier with each iteration. In S3, I have nowhere near the number of enemies in the friendship panel without the use of mods. In S4, they have friendly chats right after an insult. The game is child-safe.

I have seen you write that before and I really don't understand what you mean. I have seen sims autonomously slap each other in TS3. Granted I use mods, but I don't believe they affect this interaction. Below is a shot I took of two townies on a community lot.

23106176229_a978fa08cc_c.jpg

It's way too much trouble IMO looking up mods to fix the graphics in TS4, since the sims themselves act like little clowns. Nothing can fix that, I'm afraid. Plus they patch too often and break too much stuff and after going through that with 3, I am just not interested in getting on that merry-go-round again.

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Safer. Simpler. Etc.

I have seen you write that before and I really don't understand what you mean. I have seen sims autonomously slap each other in TS3. Granted I use mods, but I don't believe they affect this interaction. Below is a shot I took of two townies on a community lot.

23106176229_a978fa08cc_c.jpg

It's way too much trouble IMO looking up mods to fix the graphics in TS4, since the sims themselves act like little clowns. Nothing can fix that, I'm afraid. Plus they patch too often and break too much stuff and after going through that with 3, I am just not interested in getting on that merry-go-round again.
    Maybe it was more frequent in Sims 1 (and 2)? But it certainly wasn't removed (and when you play a cheater there's a lot of it in your game ;)). Certain traits trigger it as well. I have no idea what happened here, but one minute my sim was flirting with a guy, the next he was picked up in a fight by one of her roommates :D

Cameron_0195a_zpsheopo6bl.png

Cameron_0196_zpsb2q6skh2.png

And this happened when my lifeguard was a bit slow according to this gentleman in saving his life.

Raven_129a_zps1ca31b39.png

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    I love the sims 4 graphics! :smile:
  • Options
    NikNakNikNak Posts: 302 Member
    I think it's a little too late in the series for this... Besides, I like the art-style in TS4.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    @JoAnne65 yes it probably was more frequent. I think it's fair to say that it was also more exaggerated. TS2 was a bit cartoony also IMO, which is why I probably never got back into playing it after 3 came out. Of course TS4 behavior is exaggerated to the 10th degree so it's even worse, IMO. But obviously some players really like this even though I do not. I haven't been 12 years old for quite some time. ;)

That's not to say that there weren't a whole lot of sim-to-sim interactions and animations as well as game play systems (such as OFB) in TS2 that I dearly missed in TS3, because there were. That's why I was hoping that 4 would be the best of both games, instead of some odd (to me) time management game about manipulating emotions. It's very disappointing - and even with the best toddlers of all the games, and I do think they are well done - I don't think it's ever going to be a game I can tolerate playing much. Unfortunately the art style is certainly part of the reason.

• Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2017
    I love the cartoony style. I also loved Sims 2 cartoony style (or exaggerated gestures) as well.

Oh, I also loved the Jak and Daxter series, so that is not a problem for me, either. I love anime and all sorts of cartoons stuff, so this is a preference thing for me. I'm cool with it. Loony Toons is not an insult to me. Adults can like cartoons and anime, too.

What I have issues with were the chunky clay hairs early in the base game. They are starting to improve the details/textures on the hair so it's not a total undefined pixelated lumpy thing.

Personally, I like the general artstyle.

However, another thing I don't like is the extreme morphing/distorting of the faces with some expressions. Kind of destroys some of my sims' good looks at times, lol. :sweat_smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)