This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Needs in The Sims 1.

AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 729 Member
Seriously, how did we keep up with their needs back then ? I've been playing again and it took me three days to get my Sim to get an agent to become a celebrity. He also had another job but he was always too depressed to find an agent or even do stuff. I didn't remember Needs being that difficult to maintain in full, unless I use cheats. I love this game but it's hilarious to try to do so many things at the same time, houses are always dirty and Sims depressed and unhappy.

Comments

• Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 5,028 Member
    Yes, I know. It's hard. Sometimes, I manage to keep needs up, sometimes, I have to send sim to old town. There's a palm reader, who can sometimes fulfill all sim's in family needs.
  • Options
    Rojo De GuyRojo De Guy Posts: 784 Member
    I know what you mean, the "Comfort" need is my least favorite. :confounded:

I used to have my Sims having home jobs like making gnomes for a living and nectar/honey making, but then that would bring up Claire the Bear :warning:

. . . . ahh good times :relaxed:
    EfTVMcj.jpg
    "Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light"
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    It's harder than I remember actually. I recently started playing again with the Goths deciding not to use cheats this time and it's so difficult to keep them all happy. I could usually get one or two of them them to be okay at a time though. But I feel like by the time I'm done trying to fulfill their other needs they're ready to pass out. And you think with 4 of them (Bella and Mortimer adopted another baby) they would keep their social need up but they don't, none of them talk to each other even though their relationship is at like 90.

Also, I didn't know the palm reader did that. I've had this game for 10 years now and I'm still finding out new things about it.
  • Options
    LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    It's hilarious keeping the needs of Sims in The Sims satisfied! :)
    Despite working on Bella's cooking skills so she can make breakfast quickly (before the school bus and the carpool show up), every conversation Bella has with Mortimer and Cassandra is a bad one - I continually try changing the subject but to no avail - there is no divorce in The Sims but is imminent in my game. :(
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,702 Member
    edited November 2015
    LOL I use the delete cheat, but its always with caution, I have lost many a sim by using it LOL ;)

or what about this blast from the past http://www.simslice.com/Support-IPRejuvitronpage.htm
    http://www.simslice.com/freebies/samples-pg1.htm I used to use the first one, it fills all the needs with one shower :)
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 729 Member
    Lol I remember those objects. I still have the Magic Mirror in my files after many years of backing up my computer.
  • Options
    hellojewbyhellojewby Posts: 1,316 Member
    it's impossible to keep them up lol i use a cheat dollhouse that fills everything as they "play". can't live without it. literally lol
    let's be friends on origin: hello0jewby
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • Options
    LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    hellojewby wrote: »
    it's impossible to keep them up lol i use a cheat dollhouse that fills everything as they "play". can't live without it. literally lol

Do you mean you enter 'dollhouse' in the cheat box? Or is this dollhouse an item - where did you get it? :)
  • Options

Do you mean you enter 'dollhouse' in the cheat box? Or is this dollhouse an item - where did you get it? :)

I *don't* think we are allowed to post cc links ect ..but.. look up SkyLego 07 Kit simsky it's a total life/game saver...
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • Options
    thankucatgodthankucatgod Posts: 398 Member

I *don't* think we are allowed to post cc links ect ..but.. look up SkyLego 07 Kit simsky it's a total life/game saver...

You're allowed to, as long as the content doesn't raise the rating of the game. :blush:
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    http://simsky.parsimonious.org/objects/enstuffmain.htm

@LadysimPlayer8 7th one down the page.

Edit: yes everything is safe and virus free. I use almost everything on this page for Sims 1 and 2. :)
    *Team Seasons*
    XtR6m6.png
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @hellojewby

just reading this thread makes me realize what I am in for as I have just asked my PC techie to put together a laptop just so I can play sims 1 lol

I only played for a little while prior to my recent desktop upgrade so am not really familiar with the series but am going to be very soon so your links to objects/cheats that help are most welcome so thank you for those..

I first bought the complete sims series back in April this year and the graphics were fine but the sim detail was off so I played for a little while and thought it was hilarious but had to reluctantly uninstall until I could find another way to play with better graphics however I also knew I needed money to upgrade my current desktop so I could play series 2&3 properly which took me 4 months to save up for with sims 1 sitting on the shelf waiting in the sidelines and today I am able to go ahead and buy the laptop to play sims 1 on so I am so excited about that but also that finally in October I will be able to spend any spare cash on things other than computers oh happy days :)

The things I remember are

as @AlanSims says the constant motive needs as I like my sims to have fun and not have to constantly go home to take care of needs-) so am going to add back whichever object it was I used to combat this problem. I also must have downloaded and added a sign that stops animals visiting because I remember the dog standing in-front of the sign shaking its head and glaring at my sim which I thought was really funny..

I loved that jet pack looking object and the volleyball, the sweet shop was totally adorable, I loved my sim being able to buy ice cream from a NPC stand as if he was buying it from a person and not just making it himself from a machine, also this series version of a vacation and a ski pipe :)

I am dying to have a go at the superstar career as I saw a mod somewhere for bodyguards and I have wanted those in 3 so bad but nobody ever made a mod for it..

It has taken me so long after this upgrade to get 2 working properly I think I need a little diversion lol

I would love to read more about everyone's stories of playing this series as I find it fascinating :)
  • Options
    SaraStrange22SaraStrange22 Posts: 35 Member
    I know what you mean, the "Comfort" need is my least favorite. :confounded:

The hot tub is a life saver when it comes to the comfort need.

• Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    I used to use this coffee machine CC. It was probably from SimSlice, everything I downloaded was from there.
    One sip, and everybody on the lot's needs would skyrocket.

I couldn't play without it then, and I gotta say, I miss having that coffee machine now. The Sims 1 is HARD.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    basslinewildbasslinewild Posts: 268 Member
    I almost always played single sims in TS1 because I could never handle the needs of a full family.
    Tessa :)
    Gallery items under : TessaNicolle
    Check out my houses!
  • Options
    SoniaSimmerSoniaSimmer Posts: 85 Member
    I just discovered that you can use the Rejuvenator (the mod shower) in Studio Town (or any community lot, for that matter) instead of having to go home after going to work there because your Sims' needs are low. Better late than ever, they say :D (though I didn't discover Sims 1 mods until 2014, so...)
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

• Options
    AllieSootieAllieSootie Posts: 450 Member
    I also remember that if you woke Sims up before their energy was totally up, they'd take forever and do a little mad dance. It used to drive me CRAZY. Now I understand why they hated being woken before they were totally rested.
  • Options
    sonicraptor2307sonicraptor2307 Posts: 3 New Member
    When I was young and inexperienced my sims never really led very happy lives. Comfort and energy went down way too quickly when I go to work. Too bad work-from-home isn't much of a viable option back then...

So after some really tedious waiting game for the setup and everything to load (my laptop is kinda beat) I finally got my TS1 up and running after so many years. It's a little laggy but that doesn't matter. Just one big problem... None of my beds are working. I can't sleep in any of them (it says no actions available when I click on them). Rip my comfort and energy bars altogether :( . Anyone know what I can do to fix this (besides using cheats)?
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    Andrew Arcade does probably the best Let's Play of a Sims 1 "Let's Play" on YouTube. He's pretty thorough and he plays it straight but also shows you were you can get mods to help if you can't manage it. Look for him on YouTube.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,794 Member
    I never bothered with the needs as a kid. I always used move_objects and then deleted my sims to max their needs.

Now that I play TS1 without cheating too much, I do realize that keeping their needs high is DIFFICULT. Sometimes I still use the move_objects trick, especially when I'd rather play an EPs features instead of spending the entire day maintaining my sim's needs and friendships.

TS1 is the only game that compels me to cheat. I can do just fine in the later games.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I remembered keeping up with the needs was hard, but I sometimes forget HOW hard until I have tried playing it recently, lol!

I use the move_object/delete cheat as well, but it's nice to see other solutions to download. :smile: I remember I downloaded many Anime characters CC for Sims 1, and having so much fun with this game despite its ridiculous difficulty of maintaining needs.

I only had two EPs for Sims 1, so I have bought the rest of the EPs last year, and I am still exploring the EPs. I just started exploring Magic Town and training dogs.

Even after all of these years, I still love Sims 1 so much (as long as I have the needs cheat). :blush:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,443 Member
    Once I got the hang of things, I never found needs hard to fulfill, TBH. It always came down to upgrading items as soon as money started coming in, making a couple of neat freaks part of the household and having the sims with the most cooking points cooking most of the meals. Using this strategy, I was able to manage eight sim households with ease.
    EiFlric.png
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I'm curious now, does Sims 1 play on Windows 10? I haven't played in years because I thought it wouldn't play on later versions of Windows.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I'm curious now, does Sims 1 play on Windows 10? I haven't played in years because I thought it wouldn't play on later versions of Windows.

@SageRainWillow It's probably hit and miss who can get it installed if it's even possible. It's an old game and even with Windows 7 you do have to jump through some troubleshooting depending on what style theme you use to get it to install.

I've heard that Windows 10 does not play nice with the DRM that's on the disc - SafeDisc. And one of the common problems is not being able to install it due to that issue.

I can't say with any kind of personal experience though as I don't have Windows 10.
  • Options
    AnnikaperiAnnikaperi Posts: 535 Member
    I have a Gateway computer that is as old as The Sims that I inherited and keep around just for Sims 1. I eventually got a rhythm and system down to keep my Sims pretty happy.

One of my Sims was to inherit a castle. I built a fabulous castle on the empty lot on the hill that is One Sim Lane. I had a witch Sim, her rock star husband, little boy, adult daughter, and a personal assistant. I think this version of the family didn't have a dog at this time, and I moved them into the castle from their cute little Victorian at #8 Sim Lane by the stream. The castle had everything a Sim could want: great room with a big banquet table, kitchen, witch's den, media room, drawing room, and upstairs bedrooms, office, music room, exercise room, and adequate bathrooms throughout the house. The corner rooms up front were these sort of octagonal turret-like areas. Unfortunately my Sims could not afford the bills, let alone being able to navigate all that space, so they eventually returned to a home like they had before.

The Victorian was pretty groovy, too. It had a huge, fabulous garden out back with lounging and dancing spaces, grill, a rose garden, pool, and an area where the rock star could use the bubble blowing machine with his friends. It also had a balcony where the witch could paint and make sculptures. The members of the family led pretty busy lives. Along with the personal assistant, they had a butler as well. I remember having to rescue the little boy a number of times because he loved to go swimming in the evening when he was too tired. I remember that the rock star was always working and seemed to be rarely at home. He started out as a Subway Musician, of course. This was my Darren and Samantha couple: Todd and Sarah. Sarah had a magical uncle who lived in the Meadowlark Home in Old Town and disapproved of her husband. I'll have to take pictures of these houses next time I fire up the game.

I think this neighborhood also had a Nigella Lawson type Sim living with her family in the Sunflower Home.

In another neighborhood, Todd was married to someone else and lived in the Tudor home at 10 Sim Lane. They kept building on that home until it was this huge angular mass. It was still one story and not quite on the scale of the castle. Instead of being fully "open concept" some of the doors were merely modern open spaces in the wall. The family liked navigating this space just fine. For some reason I bulldozed the lot or deleted the neighborhood and have not been able to quite replicate the house since. Unfortunately, I also didn't make a blueprint of this particular house.

I also had a group of female witches in one neighborhood move into the Courtyard Villa in Old Town, with its staircases and open bedrooms. The Sims seemed happy enough living there, but I thought it was an odd set up.