Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Camera Stuttering and Lag, Does Everyone Get This Still?

rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
edited September 2016 in The Sims 3 Bugs & Issues
Well, it's been a while since I played, The Sims 3, about a few years ago when I had my 8800 GT. I had camera stutter and lag then, and now I am still getting it a few years later with my GTX 970. I followed many steps including how to get the Sims 3 to recognize The Sims 3. I did that memory override trick to give it 1024MB texture memory, I installed the overwatch mod, and I am only using the base game with no expansion packs selected. I also have vsync forced on via Nividia control panel. However, after all of this I'm still getting that horrible camera lag and stuttering which making the game really difficult to play. Has anyone ever fixed this or even played this game without no camera stuttering or lag at all?

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Camera stutter at high game speeds, especially when swinging it around quickly, is often unavoidable. At normal game speeds, no not everyone is experiencing this.

I understand that you have arranged for vsync, but have you checked your actual fps rates in-game using the fps on cheat or by some other means to make sure it's holding?

Lag however means different things to different players. The usual definition is where the game clock stalls for more than a real time minute or two but the animations keep moving. Then it bursts forward and stalls again repeatedly making proper gameplay frustrating or nearly impossible. Is this what you are seeing or is it something else?

In case you are not familiar with it, there is a large collection of tips to improve gameplay here. Maybe something there will register as worthy of trying out, if not everything on the page?
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+For+Better+Game+Performance
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Just to add what igazor already stated. Keep lot details on low (no higher than 3) . A game patch caused some of the stutter so lowering lot details helps. I have a 960 , play on ultra accept for lot details and I keep my water on med since Im not playing IP. I only get game stutter at high speeds so I try not to move the camera at high speed.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    rjssim wrote: »
    However, after all of this I'm still getting that horrible camera lag and stuttering which making the game really difficult to play.

In all worlds or just certain ones? Isla Paradiso, for example, is known to be quite laggy due to badly designed lots with routing issues. Bridgeport is probably the next worse.
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    rjssim wrote: »
    However, after all of this I'm still getting that horrible camera lag and stuttering which making the game really difficult to play.

In all worlds or just certain ones? Isla Paradiso, for example, is known to be quite laggy due to badly designed lots with routing issues. Bridgeport is probably the next worse.

I was going to mention those, but note the OP is playing the base game only so they wouldn't have EP worlds. Custom ones maybe, though.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited September 2016
    Sorry, I should have been a little more detailed. I have a few expansions including Island Paradise. However, whether I have them all turned on or off with just the base game, I still get that camera stutter. I don't get lag if the camera is still. It's just when I try to scroll it stutters and gets all choppy. I tried with all settings low, I did that memory thing with the graphics.sgr to make use more memory, and I also made it recognize my GTX 970. However, nothing is helping. It's still just as choppy when scrolling, and this is with 60fps contantly. I had Precision running with Nividia forced vsync. I can run the Sims 4 perfectly at 60fps with no stuttering or nothing. The same thing is also happening with Sims 2, EA gave me the Sims 2 Ultimate collection the other day, but both games are just not working and have that camera stutter. Not really sure what to do at this point because I pretty much tried everything and read on different forums for solutions. Also, this is on a brand new install because I reformatted my computer. So it's a fresh install and new game. I am playing the Sunset Valley world as well.
    edited September 2016
    @rjssim Lag is from having an under-powered computer. Your having stutter. I had it at first with my 960 on normal speed while scrolling. It went away and I did nothing to stop it other than what I mentioned above. I can't tell you what fixed it. A lot of people report bad stutter with the 900 series cards. IP gives everyone problems because it has a lot of programing issues but Sunset Valley should be fine.

PS I don't have problems with TS2. Im on windows 8. You might want to ask people in the TS2 section. Some of them have found fixes. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-2-general-discussion
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I was going to mention those, but note the OP is playing the base game only so they wouldn't have EP worlds. Custom ones maybe, though.

Oh, I missed that. :s

To the OP: I don't get smooth panning with the camera with this game very much. It's worse in older saves but the game (for me) is still playable. The suttering comes and goes. I don't think I'll ever get totally smooth gameplay with TS3, not like other games. There are steps to minimize it but some stuttering and lag comes with the territory, IMO.
  • AvenSorasterAvenSoraster Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm also experiencing this T.T" I got a GTX 960M and the stuttering is so strong even in normal speed (accompanied by tears). Tried the steps for video card recognition and texture memory on MTS but no luck. Also applied an fps limiter (to 60,30,45, etc.) and made sure v-sync is on, still nada.

Bought the game and all the DLC while it was on sale on Steam and wanted to try it for the nostalgia (had phys copy 6 years ago but lost it). Sad I can't get back to it :(
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm also experiencing this T.T" I got a GTX 960M and the stuttering is so strong even in normal speed (accompanied by tears). Tried the steps for video card recognition and texture memory on MTS but no luck. Also applied an fps limiter (to 60,30,45, etc.) and made sure v-sync is on, still nada.

Bought the game and all the DLC while it was on sale on Steam and wanted to try it for the nostalgia (had phys copy 6 years ago but lost it). Sad I can't get back to it :(

Unfortunately, I don't think it's ever going to work properly for me. I think it has to do with the game's programming and hardware setups not just the graphic's card. The same thing is happening with The Sims 2, but others are not experiencing this. So, I'm just sticking with The Sims 4, it runs smoothly and I think it's a great game. It just would have been nice to play another Sims game alongside The Sims 4.

Have you actually checked in-game with the fps on cheat code to make sure that the fps limit you have specified is really being honored?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Yep, turned it on and checked if everything was smooth by moving the camera in normal speed. FPS is constant but the stutter and screen tearing is always there. :(
    edited September 2016
    Yep, turned it on and checked if everything was smooth by moving the camera in normal speed. FPS is constant but the stutter and screen tearing is always there. :(

Is this a laptop with dual graphics? Although this really doesn't make any logical sense, another player recently reported that they also needed to enable vsync on their Intel chip using, I suppose, some sort of control panel for Intel even though the game was already using their Nvidia card and they got success with that.

@phoebebebe13 - Do you recall how that one went?

Edit: Found the thread I was thinking of, in case this is of any use.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15174367/#Comment_15174367
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited September 2016

If your getting screen tearing with vsync maybe you have a bad driver

Edit. I thought you had a desktop. My mistake. I would download and save the latest Nvidia driver from your laptop manufacturer. Nvidia direct drivers are for desktop

Disconnect from the internet and uninstall your current driver http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html

Install the new driver you saved and then reconnect to the internet

Start the game make sure vsync is working
    The Intel thing worked for screen tearing :D But the stutter is still a thing, well, it's progress :)