Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• xKindredxSoulsxxKindredxSoulsx Posts: 30 Member
    Also, if anyone knows where to find the CC conversion of the sims 3 prehistoric time travel outfits that'd be awesome. I know they exist because I've seen them on people's blogs and in the gallery and I would really like them for my cavesims. Google search wasn't helpful, I was probably using the wrong sear h terms.
  • CloudseekerCloudseeker Posts: 353 Member
    @EGrace93 As @xKindredxSoulsx accurately deduced, you are certainly free to modify parts of the challenge to suit you :)

@xKindredxSoulsx I would say it's perfectly okay to move in the child, as long as you do it before he or she grows to the Child stage.
    34in38k.png
    Thank you @Cloudseeker. I also forgot all about my no bill paying attempt, but it has certainly been long enough in game to see that there are no consequences beyond the cutting of power and water and the racking up of bills.
    @xKindredxSoulsx Good to know :)
    34in38k.png
  • EGrace93EGrace93 Posts: 95 Member

@xKindredxSoulsx Oooh a consequence role sounds interesting, thanks for the idea. I may well implement it later on when it's appropriate.

@Cloudseeker Thanks! I just wanted to make sure. I have another question; the challenge rules state that we must only use the aspirations and traits allowed for each ere but I can't find a list of approved traits, only aspirations. Am I missing something? I really wanted to get started so I just randomised my sims' traits but I can change any that are against the rules. Sim 1 (En-pap of the Oak Clan) is Evil, Active and Hot Headed and Sim 2 (Ka of the Oak Clan) is Self Assured, Family Orientated and Creative.

Also, I really hope this doesn't come across as overly nitpicky or critical but I'm curious about some aspects the rules govening divorce and remarriage. In Ancient Rome, divorce wasn't just permissable but common, at least among the upper classes. The Ancient Israelites (I believe) had laws that a widow could only marry her husband's brother and this may also have been the law of their neighbours, I really don't know but it was not the law in Ancient Greece and Rome and it would have been highly uncommon in the Middle Ages - they would probably have seen it as being as strange as we would.
    @EGrace93 Hmm, where do you see the part about traits? All traits should be allowed at all times, only the aspirations are Era-limited, so if I have written otherwise somewhere in the rules, it's a leftover from an earlier version of this challenge. I can't find anything about traits being restricted by Eras though.

As for the divorce question, that's one of the parts where I sacrificed some historical accuracy in order to create a smoother progression between Eras (to make sure I don't allow something in one Era and then disallow it again in a later Era, as well as to make sure that each Era has something new compared to earlier Eras).
    34in38k.png
  • Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    I can semi do the challange but as I only have sims 4 , get to work and spooky stuff pack plus the christmas one I am only experimenting any tips will be welcome and does any body know where I can find child victorian boots other than on all about style

I don't know about kids boots - but this site is good for finding all sorts of CC - I have the history filter on this link, so that might help.
    http://sims4updates.net/search/HISTORICAL/

@Cloudseeker From the 'getting started' section 'choose their aspirations and traits out of the ones allowed for the Prehistoric Era.' But looking at it now I think I may have misunderstood and you meant that only aspirations were restricted.

I thought that was probably the reason for the divorce rule as you're right, it would be weird and annoying to have it taken away in later eras. I was just wondering because I am nosy :smile:
  • SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    edited August 2016
    Hello all! Sorry for not paying attention to this challenge for so long, I've been moving to a new house which we've also been renovating. I'm not sure when I'll be picking this challenge up again in stream (although believe me, I plan to), I have to get my hands on the Skyrim overhaul mod first ;) I will be trying to upload an episode each day to my channel, starting where I left off, as I have tons of recordings from my streams of the first era :) I'll try to keep a better eye on this challenge to help Cloudseeker answer questions and hope to see you all in the YouTube comments :p I'll make sure to post here when I'm starting to stream this challenge regularly again!

Also, wondering if @Cloudseeker would consider making a separate forum for us to post mods and cc, and link it in the main post here for those looking for (or to share) cc related to this challenge :) That way, people who aren't interested in cc don't have to read through all of it if they're just starting the challenge and looking for updates or if they're looking for the answer to their question before posting. Just a thought! Not trying to shut out the cc posters at all, I just thought more organization would be good ;)
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
    @EGrace93 Ah, yes. I can see how that could be a confusing sentence.

@Snowie I have actually been thinking about creating a CC Collection thread and link to it from this thread. If a lot of people really want me to, I'll see if I can steal some time away from all of the (numerous) other projects I have that need to be worked on, and throw something together :)
    34in38k.png
    Actually @Cloudseeker, it appears my bills are not going up at all after the first missed bills. This actually makes sense, it's very real world. Once your power is cut, you don't continue to add onto the bill in the real world.
    That said unless you want to give the go ahead on simply not paying bills in the prehistoric era, this is a little cheaty. I personally would be for no bills in the prehistoric era since this is more realistic, but I know it would effect those simmers who do not have get together or aren't gaining hygiene from swimming.

Also I think @ Snowie Has a great idea with creating a separate thread just for CC on this challenge. It would certainly organize things and allow for easier sharing of CC both useful & cosmetic.

@EGrace93 let me know what you decide to go with, I would be interested. I personally had thought of a few of the rolls adding or deducting from the success of your next roll with that same sim. I also thought of the more severe consequences involving the sim in question essentially being shunned(no social interaction. This would be a pain in the rear & take a lot of monitoring) or even banished from the household. Harsh, but then part of the point of a consequence roll is the risk. Anyways, I'm interested in your thoughts.
    @Cloudseeker
    I've also just completed(by about half again) my prehistoric collection earning goals and I'm a bit concerned at how easy this was for me once I really started trying. Maybe I'm just that good, but I want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. Does rocks refer to un-chiseled fossils or to crystals & metals? I assumed it referred to crystals and metals and am concerned I was wrong.
    Although that said, I spent so little time collecting and most of my earnings were from frog breeding & woodwork(also fish & plants, but I of course didn't count these in the total) so I doubt this had a large affect on my final total(29000 ish). I did wait just over a week to bring in the first child(1 day from teen now) so maybe I had a little more time, but not much...
    But with the repetative breeding of whirlygig frogs(I think that's the name) for $160 a piece and the copious bathtubs I made at the end there, my total skyrocketed easily & quickly. Was this supposed to be this easy, did everyone else find this goal easy? Or am I just doing something different in my strategy?

@Cloudseeker I made a blog to document how I go on (I can't post links yet but they're on wordpress) historyofackleyfamily. I also started compiling a list of historical names in case that helps anyone historyofackleyfamily/2016/09/01/some-name-lists/

@xKindredxSoulsx Those are good ideas. I also thought a sim could be kept locked away in the house if the family is enforcing punishment or even sent to 'prison' (bacically a small building on the lot with minimal amenities)
    @EGrace93 that all sounds awesome. I like the idea of locking them away as an option. I also love that you'll be making the historical name list. It's not that I can track down names on my own, so much as it's great to know I'll have an easy source when I'm lazy or stumped.
    @xKindredxSoulsx Hmm, I have had reports from both sides of the money goal. Some people barely make it, while others just breeze through it. But as you are describing it, it seems to be a couple specific items that rack in the cash. Now, I think taking away woodwork from the sources of income would be too crippling (also it's one of the things that make most sense to earn money from in that Era), but I might make it so that frogs can no longer earn you money towards the goal.

Oh, and "rocks" does refer to crystals/minerals. "Fossils" refer to both unchiseled and chiseled fossils.
    34in38k.png
    @Cloudseeker that may be an option. I agree removing woodcarving may be too much, but I believe that was the biggest source of my income. Perhaps limiting it? Maybe I earned so well because my earnings were largely made with sims who had already reached he'd level 10 handiness and I was smart enough to build only the biggest earning items, so maybe limit the amount of those items for higher skilled sims? Or is that complicating things to much?
    @xKindredxSoulsx Limiting it is probably too complicated, and also feels like breaking your legs just because you practiced long and hard enough to become a fast runner. I'd say that if you dedicate a Sim to just make high-value woodwork all day, it's all right if you smash the money goal :)
    34in38k.png
    @Cloudseeker especially since the handiness skill actually plays into this era so much. Topping it allows you to get the goal for maxing out that, gardening, and fishing. Topping it also allows you to enter one of the hidden lots which helps with the angler fish(I'm working on that next).
    That said, if I play again, I may double the goal for myself.
    @Cloudseeker I noticed the score sheet doesn't have The Leader of the Pack aspiration in the section for completing each aspiration at least once.
    @Cloudseeker also the Outdoor Enthusiast aspiration is missing. And Grilled Cheese, but I suspect that's intentional? Or is it? You know that could fit well as a modern goal. I've yet to have it crop up in my game, but then again I've never intentionally fed a sim three grilled cheese in a row...
    I don't think I will be changing my lot anymore between now & the Early Civilization Era, so I uploaded it to the gallery under the official hashtag. It does use CC so it's filtered out automatically, and it is by xKindredxSoulsx. If you guys like I can try to upload some pictures here along with a detailed CC list for it when I get my last 3 points and have full Member powers.

When I get the time I need to remove CC, fight with hashtag/descriptions and upload my family's neighbours for your town filling needs as the children have finally grown up. I'm planning to update my family for prehistoric townfiller as well, but am debating leaving the CC in since it's mainly the kids outfit many of you are probably already using. The rest is all skin overlays that will simply dissapear if you don't have them & bodyhairs that will do the same. Oh, and Ooka has a CC sweater on...

Has anyone else experienced problems with any of these mods? My game keeps crashing and I thought I had found the sorce of the problem but then it crashed again today. I've removed all mods and CC except the ones I'm using for this challenge in the hope that would help bu it doesn't seem to.

Artrui's rocks go through
    Kiolometro's baby with hidden crib/crib good night (I thought these were two seperate mods but I got the same results for searching both of them so it might be that there are jus two files, I don't remember)
    Lumialover's female body hair
    Tanja1986's gain hygiene from swimming and faster gain hygiene from swimming
    Dark Gaia's no more culling
    Plasticbox's liberated rocks

Most recent CC

Martine's furry yoga mat recolour
    Srslysims' rock easel
    Around the Sims 4's woodcarving stone
    Historicalsimslife's celtic cape

Any help would be really appreciated
    @Cloudseeker I noticed the score sheet doesn't have The Leader of the Pack aspiration in the section for completing each aspiration at least once. Also the Outdoor Enthusiast aspiration is missing. And Grilled Cheese, but I suspect that's intentional? Or is it? You know that could fit well as a modern goal.
    Thanks for letting me know, must have missed those when I made the scoresheet. The Grilled Cheese aspiration is intentionally not included in the challenge at all, since it's not available to pick directly when creating a Sim, and you're not allowed to change a Sim's aspiration afterwards (at the moment at least, this may change in the future).
    34in38k.png

lol I had a baby who would.not.stop.crying and he just grew up gloomy.

I think I'm definately gonna beat the money challenge - I've earned over 3000 simoleons already just from collecting (well almost, I've just started making paintings so I have sold a couple but they didn't go for much)
  • SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    @EGrace93 Sounds like you're having fun! Remember you can't count paintings toward the prehistoric era's money goal :) Everything counts toward the challenge-wide goal, though. I was able to really kick the money goal into high gear once I started grinding woodworking, but I was a bit nervous about it up until then :p
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top