Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Write Up of Gamescom 2016 Guru Panel

Comments

• Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    This is my favorite quote: Creativity Tools – Enabling simmers to make the game their own and using their creativity to make amazing things. As far as I understood, this includes not making content and tools too specific to not limit people’s creativity.

I'm so pleased that they have decided to not make content so as to not limit my creativity. *sarcasm*

I thought this meant custom content. I read it that they don't actively make it difficult for people to add their own CC and mods. They support it. Not all companies do. So when the game runs, it automatically generates a 'mods' folder with a Resource.cfg file.

As someone who has created custom content since TS1, I appreciate that the developers allow players to personalise their games.

I don't read this as anything to do with custom content at all. I think it has more to do with their reasoning behind not making movie theaters and other such venues as one example.

You could be right that it doesn't mean custom content. It's still interesting that people take a positive intention and mock it. I don't see how it has anything to do with not adding movie theatres. 'We want to let people be creative so we'll not add movie theatres'? That's not what it says. But I guess we all read into things too much.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Creativity tools Imho is terrain, lot creation and neighborhood included because those add to creativity and as of to date there is none so my creativity is stunted and I really can't make anything my own.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Creativity tools Imho is terrain, lot creation and neighborhood included because those add to creativity and as of to date there is none so my creativity is stunted and I really can't make anything my own.

*nods ironically* aint that the truth.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    While I am on the subject.... I don't see how EA is declaring their desire to support and interact more with the influencers and so on when on the other hand the are doing things like this: Halting their affiliate program...

http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=27027.0

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    While I am on the subject.... I don't see how EA is declaring their desire to support and interact more with the influencers and so on when on the other hand the are doing things like this: Halting their affiliate program...

Bravo EA! Bravo! You do know that his web site comes up at the top of the page on the internet frequently right? Now I do not always agree with everything he says, but he has done a lot for the game and this is how you reward him. Bravo!
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »

Bravo EA! Bravo! You do know that his web site comes up at the top of the page on the internet frequently right? Now I do not always agree with everything he says, but he has done a lot for the game and this is how you reward him. Bravo!

Agreed. I'm glad he didn't bother switching out all the links to working ones too. Why should he bother?

I hope it doesn't affect his site too much. He's got some very useful information on there and even before I had much to do with the community when I'd Google issues EA weren't explaining how to fix or fixing themselves often his site would pop up first, as you mention, and hold the key to a better solution (non mod fix).
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    "There was one more notable thing. He talked about EA’s program called Ronku, which handles sponsoring – and also works with celebrities to endorse products. He said that this wasn’t for The Sims yet, but he said it might be a thing in the future. Just so you know."

Sweet Treats V2 confirmed (jk lol)

Also this stood out to me
    Stuff packs – Very specific sets and gameplay objects, are created with a specific situation in mind
    Game packs – Think of it as a storyline, it’s still specific but there’s more than objects and it’s all about telling a story in your own playstyle. Game packs can get pretty deep too.
    Expansion packs – These are more like multiple storylines, spread broadly but not necessarily deep. Again all playstyles should be covered.

Doesn't sound very good for getting more detailed EPs imo. Like they want to add a lot of stuff in them, but not really make those things in-depth.

I don't even want to think about this statement- broad, shallow EPs, like a wading pool I guess- OH Toddler hint! Joke, except it's not really funny. But really, do I want game play and EPs that only reach my ankles.

As well, Game Packs can get pretty deep too... huh? I'm sorry but I haven't seen that yet. While Spa Day and Dine Out were both quite good I'd hardly call them deep- in fact I'd say they stopped filling up Dine Out right about the point an owner could actually be the chef and run the restaurant themselves and interact with customers on every level. Spa Day of course stopped well short without even the barest ability to own or control the running of the facility at all and OR was just a large park with brakes on the amount of time you could be there and a bear mascot instead of an actual animal- oh yeah we got the really deep plant collecting thing that we already had in the base game essentially- thanks for that. Where's the depth? It's not to say they aren't good (THEY ARE GOOD) or that they don't do the job (THEY DO THE JOB) BUT they are not deep in the slightest- deep means you can dig and dig and find layers of different material and game play and interactions the further you go. I don't see that. Game Packs are just basic venues imo, needed but they have a long way to go before they're "pretty deep".

• Options
    @JasonAnthonySterling I totally agree with your comments regarding deep play. I guess my idea of what constitutes deep game play in a sims game and what EA's idea of deep game play have diverged to the point of no reconciliation.

• Options

Agreed. I'm glad he didn't bother switching out all the links to working ones too. Why should he bother?

I hope it doesn't affect his site too much. He's got some very useful information on there and even before I had much to do with the community when I'd Google issues EA weren't explaining how to fix or fixing themselves often his site would pop up first, as you mention, and hold the key to a better solution (non mod fix).

@sparkfairy1 I felt so bad for him when I read that announcement on his site. What a horrible way for EA to do business.

• Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    "There was one more notable thing. He talked about EA’s program called Ronku, which handles sponsoring – and also works with celebrities to endorse products. He said that this wasn’t for The Sims yet, but he said it might be a thing in the future. Just so you know."

Stuff packs – Very specific sets and gameplay objects, are created with a specific situation in mind
    Game packs – Think of it as a storyline, it’s still specific but there’s more than objects and it’s all about telling a story in your own playstyle. Game packs can get pretty deep too.
    Expansion packs – These are more like multiple storylines, spread broadly but not necessarily deep. Again all playstyles should be covered.

Doesn't sound very good for getting more detailed EPs imo. Like they want to add a lot of stuff in them, but not really make those things in-depth.

I don't even want to think about this statement- broad, shallow EPs, like a wading pool I guess- OH Toddler hint! Joke, except it's not really funny. But really, do I want game play and EPs that only reach my ankles.

As well, Game Packs can get pretty deep too... huh? I'm sorry but I haven't seen that yet. While Spa Day and Dine Out were both quite good I'd hardly call them deep- in fact I'd say they stopped filling up Dine Out right about the point an owner could actually be the chef and run the restaurant themselves and interact with customers on every level. Spa Day of course stopped well short without even the barest ability to own or control the running of the facility at all and OR was just a large park with brakes on the amount of time you could be there and a bear mascot instead of an actual animal- oh yeah we got the really deep plant collecting thing that we already had in the base game essentially- thanks for that. Where's the depth? It's not to say they aren't good (THEY ARE GOOD) or that they don't do the job (THEY DO THE JOB) BUT they are not deep in the slightest- deep means you can dig and dig and find layers of different material and game play and interactions the further you go. I don't see that. Game Packs are just basic venues imo, needed but they have a long way to go before they're "pretty deep".

So in other words, they broke up the gameplay for this game into three distinct packs for the purposes of squeezing out more money from people and are having a rough time trying to justify each pack's role in this game.

I'm done.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused - was there a Q&A, or did all of this information come from the talks given by the panel without participant questions?

This information appears to be delivered by Rachel Franklin and Lyndsay Pearson without fielding questions.

One attendee's report did show that they took questions about showcasing creativity in the community as well as doing more live streams. Other than that, not many attendees have put together a report or given an indication that they're writing a report about their experiences.

Some are still at Gamescom or on their way home as far as halfway around the world. I would imagine there will be more reports. They always filter in over time.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member

It sounds like they used the wrong word.

I think focussed would've been better because they are essentially focussed to one very specific theme.

I would argue that 'deep' gameplay, however that is even defined, suits EPs more.

So in other words, they broke up the gameplay for this game into three distinct packs for the purposes of squeezing out more money from people and are having a rough time trying to justify each pack's role in this game.

I'm done.

Or, aside from profit, three distinct packs because they're three distinct themes?
  • Options

It sounds like they used the wrong word.

I think focussed would've been better because they are essentially focussed to one very specific theme

I would argue that 'deep' gameplay, however that is even defined, suits EPs more.

I'm done.

Or, aside from profit, three distinct packs because they're three distinct themes?

Thank you for that... nice to have a different view. :)

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Well Sep 2 is coming up so hopefully we get an expansion pack announcement for the 2 year annivesery of the sims 4.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member

EA is at least insensitive with that decision
    but maybe they just work hard to kill off this franchise completely
    not just as a game but also as a community

& i find it quite telling that Carl moves on with Stardew Valley :smirk:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    Thought I would share this here too in case you are interested: https://www.platinumsimmers.com/articles/the-sims-4-how-we-make-the-game-panel/

Working on a second post (much shorter) about the influencer bit though. Will let you guys know when that is up as well.
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited August 2016
    Well Sep 2 is coming up so hopefully we get an expansion pack announcement for the 2 year annivesery of the sims 4.

I doubt they will. If they were going to do that, they may as well have announced something at Gamescom. Time will tell.

*edited due to unnecessary sarcasm*
    Post edited by Arletta on
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused - was there a Q&A, or did all of this information come from the talks given by the panel without participant questions?

This information appears to be delivered by Rachel Franklin and Lyndsay Pearson without fielding questions.

One attendee's report did show that they took questions about showcasing creativity in the community as well as doing more live streams. Other than that, not many attendees have put together a report or given an indication that they're writing a report about their experiences.

Gamescom just barely ended a day or so ago -- many of the attendees may still be traveling home, or if home attending to business there before sitting down to gather their thoughts/notes.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    This is my favorite quote: Creativity Tools – Enabling simmers to make the game their own and using their creativity to make amazing things. As far as I understood, this includes not making content and tools too specific to not limit people’s creativity.

I'm so pleased that they have decided to not make content so as to not limit my creativity. *sarcasm*

I thought this meant custom content. I read it that they don't actively make it difficult for people to add their own CC and mods. They support it. Not all companies do. So when the game runs, it automatically generates a 'mods' folder with a Resource.cfg file.

As someone who has created custom content since TS1, I appreciate that the developers allow players to personalise their games.

I don't read this as anything to do with custom content at all. I think it has more to do with their reasoning behind not making movie theaters and other such venues as one example.

Remember the Starlight Shores entertainment venues with the useless "juice bars" because professional bars were limited to players with Late Night? They had to patch in the ability to change those out for professional bars. Instead of having a separate movie theater, you can set up a home theater in the basement of your mansion, or combine them with any other venue -- I actually saw someone who added a movie screen to their restaurant (literally "dinner and a movie"). Or you could have a bar with a movie screen. It actually increases the creativity to free some items from specific venues.
  • Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

And as someone who dealt with broken routing in Sims 3 thanks to poorly designed lots on the Exchange (because of incorrect use of terrain tools), I'm content with no terrain tools for now. That doesn't mean we won't see them in the future, the way we got pools and basements in free updates.

I appreciate that it's much easier to build and remodel houses -- after tearing apart many houses in Sims 3 just to add basements after we got them in the WA patch, I love adding basements to houses that are already in game or that I've downloaded from the Gallery (and no, I don't re-upload any Gallery builds solely after adding basements; those are for my game use only). And if I need to add a little more space to a kitchen or bedroom, it's a piece of cake to just drag a wall as needed. That increases my creativity when it comes to building. Tools such as auto-roofs and more roof styles (would really appreciate octagonal roofs back!) would help even more, but those could be patched in at any appropriate time.
  • Options

Remember the Starlight Shores entertainment venues with the useless "juice bars" because professional bars were limited to players with Late Night? They had to patch in the ability to change those out for professional bars. Instead of having a separate movie theater, you can set up a home theater in the basement of your mansion, or combine them with any other venue -- I actually saw someone who added a movie screen to their restaurant (literally "dinner and a movie"). Or you could have a bar with a movie screen. It actually increases the creativity to free some items from specific venues.

I understand that side of it but it is also limiting. When I want to send my sims to a movie theater I have to make it etc (or download one which someone else has had to make) and then just watch my sims wander around rather aimlessly doing nothing special that they can't do at home. Had the team made a movie theater to go along with the movie pack then I could choose to use that venue for a specific kind of movie experience (like restaurants in dine out) or I could choose still to make my own etc. By not making specific venues and content in TS4 they are actually limiting my choices and ways to play... not increasing them.

• Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

Hmmm, that's an interesting perspective on what that says. Personally what I read is they are not making content too specific or tools too specific so they don't limit people's creativity, not that they aren't making content at all. You could be right about, for instance, movie theaters, though I don't think that means we won't see build items that give us the ability to make our own movie and stage theaters (for instance, maybe they'll adding in theater style seats, etc.) perhaps with an entertainment or showtime type EP.

You know, foundations are probably a good example of the specific type of creativity tools they mention wanting to avoid now--only one height across the whole lot. Perhaps they re-evaluated some of their creativity tools after the frustration so many simmers mentioned about having such a limited foundation tool. Hopefully this isn't something they're claiming they've been doing from the start since, obviously, they missed the boat with that tool--easier to use but definitely too limited.

I don't think this refers to terrain tools and so forth. I suspect they are having different issues with how the terrain works and that's why those haven't been added in yet.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I agree that foundations need to be looked at. I am building carports, because you cannot build a proper garage.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I agree that foundations need to be looked at. I am building carports, because you cannot build a proper garage.

That is one thing I never understood. Why all foundation or no foundation?

Both TS2 and TS3 allowed you to build a house on a foundation but a green house or garage to be built and ground level if you wish.

Like I said before, TS4 has some cool build tools but these tools are broken when it comes to adding a creative touch

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg