Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Speculation: Maxis working on 2 EPs for Q4 2016?

Ok, so this is just speculation, but...
The Sims team has been VERY silent lately, as we have gotten no new announcements since Backyard SP came out. There seems to be a good reason to that. I have had a weird feeling that Maxis is planning a BIG surprise by releasing 2 expansion packs later this year, or 1 this year + 1 for Q1 2017. Don't attack me, this is just pure speculation. But I do feel like they are working on MULTIPLE packs at the same time. Wasn't this confirmed already? I think so. But, it's also possible that we will get 1 EP + 1 GP or 1 EP + 1-2 SPs later this year. I mean October-December. Everything is possible ;)

Comments

• AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    It would make sense kind of. I mean, the last EP was released almost a year ago so the EP team has had a lot of time in their hands since then.
    However, I wouldn't get my hopes up as we have seen how that goes for this game...
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    I don't think there will be two EPs this year. Maybe one and a second early next year. I really hope you are right though!
  • taigoesrawrtaigoesrawr Posts: 812 Member
    I really hope you're right because I'm soOoOo tired of waiting for a new EP to come out. The curiosity really gets to me sometimes. If it's not something game changing I'm going to flip some tables! (┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻
  • azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    But don't they have only one EP team? Why split up the team to work on two different EPs? That doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    But don't they have only one EP team? Why split up the team to work on two different EPs? That doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Well, maybe they have already finished working on EP3 and now they are putting the final touches to EP4? ;)
  • LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    If they are finished with EP3 and let us wait any longer, I will have a heart attack :D
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Wouldn't give my hopes up
    giphy_1.gif
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    SimGuruDrake actually said something the other day that made me raise an eyebrow.

She said something on the lines of, that EA may work on an EP, but hold it off because they want to get another EP out first, based on fan feedback. So they may have one EP almost ready, but decide to hold it off while the next EP is released. And then follow shortly after.

From my knowledge, Get Together was probably worked on before Get To Work. But when players were PLEADING for more normal careers, they may have pushed Get Together back, and released Get Together first.
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    I really doubt that they're going to release one (or more) of every pack in the last quarter. An EP and a couple of SP's, I could see. Can't see them working on more than one EP at once, and I doubt they'd release two in one quarter.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I don't think there will be two EPs this year. Maybe one and a second early next year.
    This is what I think is likely.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is one in the lead up to christmas.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    They only have one EP team, so I would think only one EP will be released before the end of the year. I would love a EP and a GP but it will most likely be a EP and a SP. Then, after the first of the year, a GP and a SP, I hope.
  • EzebitEzebit Posts: 39 Member
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »
    The Sims team has been VERY silent lately, as we have gotten no new announcements since Backyard SP came out. There seems to be a good reason to that. I have had a weird feeling that Maxis is planning a BIG surprise by releasing 2 expansion packs later this year, or 1 this year + 1 for Q1 2017. Don't attack me, this is just pure speculation. But I do feel like they are working on MULTIPLE packs at the same time. Wasn't this confirmed already? I think so. But, it's also possible that we will get 1 EP + 1 GP or 1 EP + 1-2 SPs later this year. I mean October-December. Everything is possible ;)

I kinda like the idea... everything is possible.
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    SimGuruDrake actually said something the other day that made me raise an eyebrow.

She said something on the lines of, that EA may work on an EP, but hold it off because they want to get another EP out first, based on fan feedback. So they may have one EP almost ready, but decide to hold it off while the next EP is released. And then follow shortly after.

From my knowledge, Get Together was probably worked on before Get To Work. But when players were PLEADING for more normal careers, they may have pushed Get Together back, and released Get Together first.

Not arguing. Don't even want a little debate, but I have to ask why this made you raise your eyebrows?

I shall share my reasoning, or not, on your response, if you do.

• SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I kind of feel like they're going to release an EP and GP next quarter. I feel like it might be a Generations GP with toddlers patched in and a Pets EP, which are both heavy on animations, so that could explain the silence/lack of releases.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    The way things have been going, I see EA dropping back to one EP a year with game and stuff packs replacing a second EP. The way new content is introduced in those packs is simply easier on the game in general. Fewer glitches that are easier to fix via patches, etc. I won't lie and say this makes not getting two EPs a year any better, but it has worked out fairly well this year.

As long as the game play content in those packs appeals to a large segment of fans, and sell, I think EA will continue releasing new content this way. It isn't a 'bad' way of adding new content. It's just very different from what we became accustomed to in the past. I'd like to count on two EPs a year, too. But I don't see that happening this year. The stuff pack team brought us really good, well, stuff! With added gameplay. The Dine Out game pack was a bit different from what I expected, but it's an okay game pack. I preferred Spa Day and Outdoor Retreat but that's just me. And that is why I am liking the game and stuff pack releases. They have all been very different and they do not appeal to everyone. So rather than cram a lot of new gameplay into the larger EP, it is spread out so we can pick what we want.

I like your thoughts on the idea we might see two EPs this year, though. It would be awesome if EA decided to release two EPs back-to-back. It would certainly help mend EA's relationship with Sims fans if they did.
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    The chance that we might get 2 EPs this year is 1%
    The chance we might get a single EP is 70%
    The chance we might not get any EP 29%
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    The chance that we might get 2 EPs this year is 1%
    The chance we might get a single EP is 70%
    The chance we might not get any EP 29%

Sorry I missed the maths lesson.
  • CreoleSimCreoleSim Posts: 334 Member
    Guys don't get yourselves worked up, highly unlikely.
    8zjsc9.png
    Origin@ Simday1
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    I wouldn't expect it. I suspect that we'll see an EP in time for the holiday season, but I could be wrong. Beyond that, I don't really have any guesses.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    I personally think we'll get 1EP+1GP next quarter if we're lucky.

Will we see one more EP in 4th quarter 2016? Doubtfully. 1st quarter 2017? More possible, though I would still not bet my life on it.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Arletta wrote: »

Not arguing. Don't even want a little debate, but I have to ask why this made you raise your eyebrows?

I shall share my reasoning, or not, on your response, if you do.

It interests me, simply because I find it amusing that EA will work on something, and then go "oh, actually" and start work on the next EP because of feedback.
    I raised my eyebrow however, because the fact Drake's letting us know that its something that could potentially happen in the studio. And the fact that it's possible, and that's she's mentioning it now, is basically enough to assume that is what may possibly be happening now.

It could simply mean that EP3 is taking a while, and that she's stating that delays can happen because of fan feedback, however it may not apply to what's happening now.

All I know is, I think EA have read enough feedback, to know EP3 is make or break. People are aware that EP 1&2 were around before the base game, EP 3 is the first EP post launch.
    They have 2 years worth of feedback to use by the time that EP 3 will have a release window.
  • ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member

We've seen it before. Before "Sims 3 Generations" was released we got two really detailed EP trailers, one for pets and one for family style stuff. Personally, I think they got the idea and/or from feedback - went and made pets playable characters, and Generations was released instead which was really really simple honestly. I mean, it has a lot, but it was the lightest EP in terms of gameplay yet. They did have some great stuff in that EP tho, don't get me wrong.
  • IanamusIanamus Posts: 101 Member
    I don't think that the silence is because we are getting two expansions, but because they are slowing down development of the Sims 4 to work on something else. It doesn't seem to be as successful as the previous games and they are probably close to pulling the plug.
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »

That's funny, I have a weird feeling we are getting nothing this year. Well, at least, no EP for the rest of the year. My gut is telling me maybe next year we will get an EP. Until then we might get maybe 1 more SP and maybe one more GP.