March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If the sims olympus hadn't been canceled, would you have checked it out?

Comments

• mrnhmathmrnhmath Posts: 750 Member
    I don't know, haven't played the original Sims online game, only FreeSO.
  • Alyssia29Alyssia29 Posts: 128 Member
    No ! i really don't like playing online... i like playing the sims to escape people lol it's my happy place. Playing online makes me nervous...
  • PuffyPuffy Posts: 393 Member
    Nope. I like to control my own game and build my own story. If i like online game, i dont have to choose sims honestly. There are so many choice available.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2016
    No - TS4 as an online title was developed by the same company that developed SimCity 2013. If there's one thing I can guarantee it's that it would have failed.

Maxis "underestimated" the server load in 2013, given how large The Sims community is compared to SimCity it would no doubt face the same problems. Which would lead to the game being inaccessible, and server capacity takes awhile to expand. SC was unplayable for over a week for some people - that would be a big no no as there was no offline component to Olympus.

Additionally the visual quality would be far less than what we have now.

Actually Will Wright and his team - the same team that made Sims 1 made Sims Online the First version. The SimCity 2013 was made also by Maxis but at the Emeryville studio with a different team than Sims 2 and Sims 3 which was made at the Redwood Shores Sims Division Studios with the Sims 3 store made in Salt Lake City studio with a different team.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    What was Sims Olympus???
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    I think I would have at least checked it out before throwing it in the trash. I hated Sims 3 Showtime when it was released with the social online stuff, but at least that was optional. After installing, it was kinda fun for my sister and I to send each other our sims, but in EA's style, it never really worked right...kinda was borked right from the beginning. But it was a fun notion and I did enjoy chatting with various people.

But with Reg's description of the TSO and the mess it turned out to be, um, I don't think I would've liked that very much.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    Okay so we all know that the sims olympus was canceled, but let's pretend for moment that it wasn't. Would you have checked it out? I think I would have.

probably not, I can't imagine how the sims could be a MMO besides a interactive online chat room.
    Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    If it was free then yeah maybe but if I had to pay £50 for it no I'll pass thanks, I could just play imvu or something instead if I wanted that.
    giphy_1.gif
  • DyingLightDyingLight Posts: 309 Member
    No. I've played second life and there's always people that ruin the fun. Unless they added moderators and banned people who are plum, maybe I'd give it a try, as long as they included an offline mode. But I don't think EA could handle an online server of that magnitude, it would've worse than the mess of SimCity 2013, because more people play The Sims and the servers would've imploded the first day of release. It would've been the end of The Sims (RIP SimCity.) So no, I prefer playing the sims by myself. :)
    edited August 2016
    No. I will stick with PC games.

The bigger the screen, the better for my eyes :D

Edit: Olympus was going to be a mobile game, right?

No it was going to be pc. They were hoping to move us away from offline and into online only pc. It would make no sense for them to make yet another Sims mobile seeing they already have FreePlay mobile (that is free) and Sims 3 mobile you have to pay for. But when they saw pc players were not falling for the Sim City online and all angry - they decided perhaps they should wait making Sims 4 online. Don't forget originally Sims 4 was due out by late 2013. It was delayed and changed to offline. Even the game engine was different. Also from what was said by the ones that worked on the online version - all the Sims were YA's, no other age and there was no aging. It is probably why the life stages are all fouled, babies stuck to cribs, no toddlers, teens the same as YA. As they only had time to properly make the kids stage.

They do not need another Sims mobile that they need to charge for though...

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    No! Online Sims is the worst.
    a256aFi.gif
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't know, and no one else does. It never happened, nobody was ever put into the situation to decide to try it out or not. So saying yes is just as false as saying no. Nobody knows.

Some of us know for sure that we don't play online games. Stating that no is just as false as yes is equally false.

I have no desire to hook up with anyone online. I don't even hook up in RL. Some of us really are introverted/reclusive. Believe it or not.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
    DyingLight wrote: »
    No. I've played second life and there's always people that ruin the fun. Unless they added moderators and banned people who are plum, maybe I'd give it a try, as long as they included an offline mode. But I don't think EA could handle an online server of that magnitude, it would've worse than the mess of SimCity 2013, because more people play The Sims and the servers would've imploded the first day of release. It would've been the end of The Sims (RIP SimCity.) So no, I prefer playing the sims by myself. :)

Simsonline was NOTHING like second life. Nothing at all. It was all about skilling, costing real money for everything, and socializing with other sims - that is when you ever found another sim to talk with as most sims I saw was either frozen like a statue or they were skilling and not talking. Believe me if you find the whole game based solely on skilling and chatting - as fun - then you'd like Sims online. There were no stories, no families, little creating and if you did create anything it cost real money. There were no cheats and no mods or CC as well. The only building you did was on your own 1 lot and everything cost real money and required you to be a certain skill in various things to do. Skilling was so slow you could not stand it. I mean tediously slow going.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Honestly, I don't know, and no one else does. It never happened, nobody was ever put into the situation to decide to try it out or not. So saying yes is just as false as saying no. Nobody knows.

I do know. Having a connection to Origin while opening TS4 is the closest I've ever come to on line gaming and that's not even close. I've passed on games I like that have gone from single player to online. P v Z garden warfare comes to mind.

There are just some things that you don't actually have to come face to face with to know how you would decide.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright

I do know. Having a connection to Origin while opening TS4 is the closest I've ever come to on line gaming and that's not even close. I've passed on games I like that have gone from single player to online. P v Z garden warfare comes to mind.

There are just some things that you don't actually have to come face to face with to know how you would decide.

Even as a person who is not the least bit shy and actually enjoys chatting with people in forums and even other social media - I NEVER chat when gaming. The minute I go to any online game, I shut chat right off. If the game requires communicating then I won't play it. I do not like to chat and game - EVER!!!!

In dreams - I LIVE!

• MinecraftdSimmerMinecraftdSimmer Posts: 561 Member
    I would have bought it an played it yet. I am not so sure why so many people are against online games
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Eh, I would need the details of Olympus
    If wit was online, Wasn't going to be open world?
    Or would it be like minecraft where you have your own server and invite people you know, and you can set rules. like I can authorize who can edit things.

Plus if it were to be online, It would I think have to be like minecraft.

I design my Model Sim in CAS, and I can walk around my world, not my clicking "Go here" but using arrow keys, Space bar to jump.
    And I think it would or at least to have some expansions or packs already patched.
    Like if it's online, I'm not buying expansions like Seasons for an online game.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Even as a person who is not the least bit shy and actually enjoys chatting with people in forums and even other social media - I NEVER chat when gaming. The minute I go to any online game, I shut chat right off. If the game requires communicating then I won't play it. I do not like to chat and game - EVER!!!!

Same here. I think it's obvious I'm not shy but to me gaming is my time by myself to go off into what ever world I'm entering. Also while I'm not a micro manager I do like what I decide to build or put into my world to stay there and not interfered with.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • CrazyboutTheSimsCrazyboutTheSims Posts: 2,739 Member
    No I don't like online games
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited August 2016
    I would have bought it an played it yet. I am not so sure why so many people are against online games

I'm not against them. I just don't play them. I'm not going to pay to chat and play. Had this game been Olympus, half of you wouldn't have even known I existed. I wouldn't have joined the forum and I wouldn't have bought the game. I would have zero interest in it to even try to find out what it's about. Nor would I have been upset about it.

Sims 4 is a different story.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • RifftraxRulesRifftraxRules Posts: 145 Member
    Okay so we all know that the sims olympus was canceled, but let's pretend for moment that it wasn't. Would you have checked it out? I think I would have.

No. I don't like online games and would have avoided it like the plague.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    No - TS4 as an online title was developed by the same company that developed SimCity 2013. If there's one thing I can guarantee it's that it would have failed.

Maxis "underestimated" the server load in 2013, given how large The Sims community is compared to SimCity it would no doubt face the same problems. Which would lead to the game being inaccessible, and server capacity takes awhile to expand. SC was unplayable for over a week for some people - that would be a big no no as there was no offline component to Olympus.

Additionally the visual quality would be far less than what we have now.

Actually Will Wright and his team - the same team that made Sims 1 made Sims Online the First version. The SimCity 2013 was made also by Maxis but at the Emeryville studio with a different team than Sims 2 and Sims 3 which was made at the Redwood Shores Sims Division Studios with the Sims 3 store made in Salt Lake City studio with a different team.

All of which fall under Maxis. As a company Maxis tried taking a couple of games online: dark spore, SC, TS4 all of which failed. TS4 was at least salvaged into what we have now.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I would love to play with other people in the Sims. Kind of like Minecraft, but much better.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• libra_stylelibra_style Posts: 1,229 Member
    After the sim city fiasco, I would've prayed and wrote a letter to the main producer in charge to make sure their servers can handle everyone who has or about to get the game....online for anything sim wise right now is scary and hasn't been proved other wise.

Although it seems like this Olympus had way more than the Sims "offline" has at the moment, I too would've tried the trial version, but sometimes the trial versions doesn't give enough time to explore everything.
  • BeanfootBeanfoot Posts: 602 Member
    edited August 2016
    I already have SecondLife for all my online simulation needs. I don't see the purpose of an online Sims game. It's a very personal game for me anyway, and I feel like as a storyteller and a family player, I would only feel my control slipping away with other people involved in my little fantasy world. I'm happy Olympus didn't pan out but I can't imagine why they thought it would. It's a decent idea on paper but in practice, The Sims and its fanbase have always been separate from SecondLife and IMVU type environments.

ETA: The Sims online was pre-SecondLife and was also never meant to replace the base game, so people felt like the choice to play was theirs. That's all this is really about, I think; there's innovation and then there's a game turning itself on its head.

ETA 2: I forgot to answer the question. Yes, I would have checked it out but only if the online mode was completely optional to play. From what I understand there were 3 modes in Olympus: online, story, and regular live mode.