Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do we determine Maxis Faves?

Comments

• soulfullsoulfull Posts: 104 Member
    I would love to design something that is enjoyable to enough people to become fav'd. :)<3
  • Archer_GirlArcher_Girl Posts: 218 Member

I just want to share my perspective as a longtime Simmer, when I played TS2 I caught the building bug. I spent countless hours on projects and really had fun and then suddenly I caught a spotlight on a trailer park I uploaded. This just fueled me to do more and learn more boolprop hacks, study tutorials and think outside the box. I joined up with a group of like-minded artists and it was a very positive and supportive experience. I ended up receiving another three spotlights in like a 2-year period. Other artists I knew were receiving spotlights left and right...literally, like 3 or 4 per year. As a collective group we would recommend each others creations and that gave them automatic attention. Back then I don't believe the standards were as high and so many more were given. I went on to join an independent site as a resident artist but gave it up and stopped playing Sims all together when I went through a divorce.

I played TS3 but with little interest in sharing my work. Now I find myself uploading lots and rooms very quickly, 39 since March. I feel that I'm producing quality work. Better work than when I played TS2. I don't use CC and my MOO are tested to make sure they work. I'm meticulous with my landscaping and really strive for realism in my work. All that said, I don't feel my uploads get enough attention in order for a Sim Guru to discover them. I'm frustrated about this I guess because my experience in TS2 was so very different. I'm trying to do some "advertising" via social media but I don't enjoy the process. I created a new FB page for my stuff and I'm using the TS4 app, I joined a couple Sim groups on FB. I joined Carl's Sims but to be honest it seems kynna dead around there. Not a real active builder community. I created Twitter and Tumblr accounts specifically for Sims....I don't use them in my day to day life though so I'm trying to master them. I'm not a fan of the forum so my lack of activity means I don't have enough points to post my builds here. I only figured this out yesterday. Player for 15 years and can't post a link or pic. SMDH

What am I missing? I would really love some feedback. I don't want to spend more time networking than creating but I do want to get some attention to my creations. My gallery ID is: Saturnspoon. Feedback and even constructive criticism welcome.
  • StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    @Archer_Girl , have you considered starting a showcase thread in this forum where you show us pictures of what you have built? Many of us have started these threads and have found a good deal of support from our fellow builders. :smiley:
  • Archer_GirlArcher_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    StSciurus wrote: »
    @Archer_Girl , have you considered starting a showcase thread in this forum where you show us pictures of what you have built? Many of us have started these threads and have found a good deal of support from our fellow builders. :smiley:

I tried yesterday but I guess I need to be more active in the forum so that I can post links and pics.
  • StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    Ah yes, @Archer_Girl ! You will be a full member in no time. Once you can post pictures, you will have many more options. :smiley:
  • MarkHarris17MarkHarris17 Posts: 537 Member
    Id like to add some tips.
    Work hard and don't care what people think.
    Get involved in the nomination threads because when nominating people it helps highlight them and if your lucky they may just return the favor, also it may help the gurus notice you. I put a couple nominations up and in the week I got TWO maxis favorites!
    Reach out to other people on the the gallery favorite comment and download their creations they may just return the favor and higher downloads on a thing may just get a guru to check it out.

But then again I only have 2 maxis favorites. Please hope that I get a third one. P.S. Everyone deserves a maxis fav
    Shelly Mellow Maxis
    Madden Maxis
    Riles Maxis
    Harris Maxis
    Hunger Games Modeling Comp
    [img][/img]ezgif.com-gif-maker_zpsjrmqrvoc.gif
    Last one made by me [my handwriting is bad on computers!]
    Thanks to the talented @Cbear13 for making these!

• OMGiLoveIceCreamOMGiLoveIceCream Posts: 603 Member
    Thanks out for the info.
  • soulfullsoulfull Posts: 104 Member
    @Archer_Girl it is relatively easy to post enough to get membership. Just do a few of the games (Off Topic) & you will have your 50 posts in no time. I really look forward to seeing your creations! I love to learn from others as well. Building & decor were what got me hooked on Sims (beginning with TS2). PS plan to check you out on the game as well! :D
  • MarkHarris17MarkHarris17 Posts: 537 Member
    Now what separates a maxis favorite and a maxis top pick? @SimGuruDrake
    Shelly Mellow Maxis
    Madden Maxis
    Riles Maxis
    Harris Maxis
    Hunger Games Modeling Comp
    [img][/img]ezgif.com-gif-maker_zpsjrmqrvoc.gif
    Last one made by me [my handwriting is bad on computers!]
    Thanks to the talented @Cbear13 for making these!

• OceaneyespiritOceaneyespirit Posts: 57 Member
    I can only imagine the amount of time it has to take going through all the things people have posted. I sometimes will pat myself on the back until I see what others have created, and then I think my builds are so lame. I do wonder though with the person that asked about the unlock cheats, if that rules a person out, or as you mentioned, if you change the size of something(?). I often will do that with rugs, or plants, and occasionally, toys.
  • fidlertenfidlerten Posts: 7,615 Member
    @Oceaneyespirit Cheats are okay as long as they don't affect play testing. I use MOO all the time but mostly for decor that won't get in the way of sims activity. I suggest that you should always play test a lot before uploading it. If there is a problem or something you forgot to include that is needed for sims regular activity, then you can fix that problem before uploading it.

Play testing should include cooking something, trying out beds, using the bathroom, walking upstairs. I usually have a sim spend a day in the house and try thinking of anything that I might have done in the building of the lot that might cause a problem, such as furniture placement that might not be usable because of the way it's placed.
    Signature%2005-29-17_zpsti5fd2z4.png
    edited September 2016
    @Archer_Girl I did find your post intriguing. To be honest with you, I've been building since TS2 and have been part of the builders' community. Especially in TS3 as I had a very popular thread (most popular at one time) called "Showcasing Your Lots Workshop" which gave constructive criticism to builders who posted their work on the thread.

I saw many builders have their work featured that got help on that thread and yet I never got one feature. I have to admit, I thought the gurus didn't like me for a while there. It wasn't until TS4 that I finally saw my work what they now call "Maxis Fav'd" I've had three altogether; two most recently, and it definitely did something for my confidence. :smile:

I haven't seen your work yet and I would like to of course. And, if you can take a bit of constructive critique, I certainly love to give it out, as well as take it myself. I'm sure eventually, as you get involved in the community, your work will get the appreciation it deserves, once you produce a lot that gets the attention of the community and then the gurus.

Personally, I always feel guilty for not spending as much time nowadays as I used to, faving my fellow builders' work and recommending lots I feel deserve to be recommended for Maxis Fav'd. However, I do work at a full time job and I don't always have the time. But I do try.

I wish you all the best, and I'll go see if I can look up your Gallery uploads.

Edit:

It looks like you have one Maxis Fav: Cardigan Cottage. You also have several lots I found interesting and unique. I think you'll do quite well. Just keep on building and growing.
  • jinzou214jinzou214 Posts: 74 Member
    Just wanted to thank you for faving my lot! :D It's my first, so it made me smile when I found out. I'm still excited! :D:D (origin ID Belledaisies)
    Congrats @jinzou214 (Belledaisies) for your first Maxis Fave. I'm sure you'll see more. Just keep on building. :)
  • rconercone Posts: 407 Member
    @fidlerten I would love concrit on my builds I to have been building since Sims 1 got fairly big in 2 then actually played with teh sims in 3 and now back to building I have yet to get a fave and it is a real kick in the confidence really I left the game for 6 months due to that but am sort of back but expecting to never get a fave
    Showcase thread is Here
  • HIstoricgalHIstoricgal Posts: 567 Member
    @Rcone I haven't looked much on the gallery as far as just looking, but what I see here You build the type house that I love. The type which shows either a bit of history or some character. Will take a closer look when I get in the game.
    @rcone, not sure I know what you are talking about! I'm at you profile and looking at it right now I see that many of your builds have been faved also many downloads for most of them. Are you talking about Maxis/EA favoring them? If that is the case don't feel bad many of us haven't had Maxis/EA notice our builds and there are some very cute one out there. Build because you like to build, build for your friends & followers and don't worry about Maxis, of course all of us would love to be spotlighted, but have come to terms with there is a slim chance we will be. If it happens it will be a wonderful surprise, if it doesn't go by the amount of downloads you get and the favs from fellow Simmers. They mean much more in the long run, it means people love your work. I would rather have many people download and fav mine than just 1 from Maxis.
    @HIstoricgal yes talking about Maxis faves as this is what the thread is talking about. It is still a kick to the gut though whne you see a shell house faved when you see so many great houses get skipped over it lead to me taking a long break and only reason I am back in game is to relieve some stress. As I said before in a earlier post in this thread it seems more like the popular kids get the fave rather then the loads of obscure great builds I see. But that is my Honest opinion I no longer build for fave which has lead to me building so much slower I do have quite a bit of people downloading but know there are many more out there like you who would love my builds but since I do not have time to build and post the builds on social media many miss out.
    FYI for about a year it seems that the same group of people got noms and Maxises faves hence the break I took ...... would love to know if Maxis actually pays attention to the noms or if it is some random person scanning builds and randomly picking now
    @rcone Yes I agree with you, I gave up even trying to get mine picked. It is upsetting to see some of them that are picked when you know you put a lot of work into a build and then see a lot with a picture of a dog on it and and it get the attention and the good ones with class and character are past over. Not sure just how they pick if they have to be nominated or what. but isn't fair, they need some one or someones to go through the ones posted and pick that way not because someone is well known or someone has friends who send in their name. It is very discouraging. BTW following you now.
    @HIstoricgal I saw that you followed my Peles Mansion should be going up soon next day or so if you saw it in the showcase. Just have to get photos of rooms and upload to imgur which may take a day or 2 maybe 3 lol just depends on real life Like I said not rushed anymore hoping for the maxis fave just ploding along knowing I wont get it Now off to play dead rising 4 as I am sick today with I think a cold sigh
    sorry to hear you are sick. That is the best thing about this game we can go as fast or as slow as we wish with our builds. Who cares Maxis sure doesn't lol.
  • JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    A little container-style home I built just got a Maxis favorite and I have no idea why. I did share it on twitter (though none of the gurus follow me, that I know of) and on reddit, but I've never gotten a fave before. Whatever the reason, it's really made my day. :smiley:
  • lisi_jalisi_ja Posts: 542 Member
    Congratulations on your maxis fave, @JoieWilder ! It is a very cute house! <3
  • ShellbellShellbell Posts: 132 Member
    My builds and sims finally just got started getting likes abd downloads and it made me so happy that I started pushing out more content. My work isnt very good I wish they had a tutorial on how to build roofs I'm horrible at it.
    Origin ID: Shellbell1992
  • XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    edited May 2017
    @Shellbell Roof tutorials do exist. Take a look through the list of links on the "Building Tips and Tutorials" thread; there are a few in there, though you'd have to hunt a bit--there are a LOT of non-roofing links. In particular, look out for stuff by @aquilifer .

Failing that, you can also try downloading a few builds with roofs you admire, and try taking them apart to see how they're put together.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top