March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

GTX 1070 Card - For OhGreenEyes (New Member)

My game is crashing and I think the culprit is TS3 not recognizing the graphics card, it's NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070. Even after following the instructions in Sims wiki:GameHelp:Getting New Graphics Cards Recognized by the game (sorry, can't post links), it still states in the DeviceConfig that
"Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 [Found: 0, Matched: 0]". Is there anything else to be done?

I have installed Nraas ErrorTrap, but it doesn't seem to help. The error says "Sims 3 has stopped working. Windows will notify if a solution is available" then "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly."

I have tried everything else to stop the crashing, deleted caches, thumbnails, removed CC from use etc. Even reinstalled and patched all the Ep:s.

Thank you in advance!
o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
NRaas has moved!
Our new site is at http://nraas.net

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    @OhGreenEyes - Hi there. As I stated on my Wall post, I believe this is the first report of a problem we have had here on the new 1000 series NVidia cards so you will have to bear with us a bit. I'm pretty sure none of us here have these cards yet, but if I'm mistaken and someone does they could perhaps come forward with any helpful comments.

This is a hardware issue. Mods are not going to help here, nor will clearing out specific files in your game folder or reinstalling the game.

As with the 900 series, I imagine the first thing to take care of is not formal card recognition but rather making sure its frame rate is limited. TS3 does not have a built in frame rate limiter. The usual way to do this, if we can get it to work, is to use the NVidia Control Panel to force vertical synch on the correct program. That would be TS3.exe for Patch 1.69 but TS3w.exe (with the "w") for Patches 1.67 and below.

@Simasaurus09 has an excellent graphic that explains what to do within the control panel here:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15007970#Comment_15007970

If that doesn't work to get the game started, try pulling your entire TS3 game folder in Documents out to your Desktop for safekeeping, thus forcing the game to create a new, clean folder in its place on the next attempted launch. You won't have any installed content, worlds, sims, mods, or saves this way, but this is just to see if you can the game started up (a new game, in this case, since the saves won't be there).

Either way, once you can get into the game, check your actual frame rate with Ctrl+Shift+C to bring up the cheats console and fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, the frame rate displayed should never wander far above 60 fps (or 120 fps if you have a 120 Hz monitor, but that would be rare). To make the displayed rate go away, cheats console again and fps off (enter).

If this doesn't work to properly limit the fps, we'll have to get a recommendation for a different tool to do so.

Then we can have a conversation about getting the card recognized properly, which does help some players though for others it doesn't really change anything noticeable about the game's performance.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • OhGreenEyesOhGreenEyes Posts: 9 New Member
    Right! I'll have a look into it. Thanks a lot!
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited July 2016
    @igazor I thought you were talking to yourself :p PS Simasarus has the visual but it takes searching for the files to add the game to nvidia control panel.

@OhGreenEyes

You have to be in full screen for it to work

NOTE these are for instructions for the 1.67 patch. If you are on the 1.69 patch , use the TS3.exe file not the TS3w file

add the sims 3 game to your Nvidia control panel. Under 3d settings/program settings click browse to find the TS3w file

in your Nvidia control panel under 3d settings click add then browse. Then you will be clicking on a bunch of files to get to the TS3W file which runs the game. computer C, to program files X 86 file, to origin games file, to the sims 3 file, to the game file, to the bin file. In the bin file you will find the TS3W file. Add that to control panel and put vsync on adaptive. This game must have vsync on or it will run your fps way to high. Also remind yourself every time you have an nvidia card update make sure it does not reset your vsync before playing. Nvidia card updates will also reset your game launcher settings every time.

You can play on ultra just keep lot details on low. A patch cause stutter in the game and lowering lot details helps no matter what card you have
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited July 2016
    You can PM me for getting the card recognized if you end up trying that again. It is very important to use vsync though.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    @igazor I thought you were talking to yourself :p

Doesn't everyone? It's the only way to have an intelligent conversation at times (boom-tish). >:)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    The vsync helped a bit, I chose the setting to be "adaptive (half)" ((sorry my control panel isn't in English so I don't know what the correct translation is)), since only choosing "on" did nothing. It still showed 144 with fps on, with adaptive it dropped to half, 72. But the game worked poorly still, very prone to crashing. Then I downloaded Nvidia Inspector and put a fps limit on 60. The game run great for about couple of hours, but then it crashed, unfortunately. Now if I enter my save, it's playable for couple of minutes (enough to check fps) and then crashes. I also put the lot details on lowest. :* Curious....
    Sorry to double post, but I'm starting to doubt that I didn't do it right in the control panel. Something is lost in translation :D There's a couple options for what could be Vertical Sync in my language. Have to have a consultation about this.
    edited July 2016
    The vsync helped a bit, I chose the setting to be "adaptive (half)" ((sorry my control panel isn't in English so I don't know what the correct translation is)), since only choosing "on" did nothing. It still showed 144 with fps on, with adaptive it dropped to half, 72. But the game worked poorly still, very prone to crashing. Then I downloaded Nvidia Inspector and put a fps limit on 60. The game run great for about couple of hours, but then it crashed, unfortunately. Now if I enter my save, it's playable for couple of minutes (enough to check fps) and then crashes. I also put the lot details on lowest. :* Curious....

If your on the 1.69 patch some have to use nvidia inspector to get vsync to work. If Nvidia inspector is reading 60fps thats good.

Have you tried starting a new fresh game to see if you get crashing?

Your card is new so we don't know how the game will react to it.

PS did you buy a new computer or did you replace your video card? If you replaced your video card, what is your PSU and CPU?

@chesterbigbird may need some help here thanks
    It's a new computer: Gtx 1070 Strix, i5 6600K @3,9, 16Gb Ram. If it matters, the monitor is BenQ XL2411 @144Hz.

The same happens with a new save, it's playable, but the crashing is unavoidable. I was in a dead end with the instant crashing earlier too, but then it stopped for some not known reason... I think then I deleted the DCbackups, though I don't think that was the reason for crashing. Maybe simply changing what the sims were doing was what prevented the crash. Was before I did anything to fps or Vsync. The CAS is "a safe place", the game doesn't crash while in there. These tricks don't help the current save though, it still crashes almost instantly.
    It's a new computer: Gtx 1070 Strix, i5 6600K @3,9, 16Gb Ram. If it matters, the monitor is BenQ XL2411 @144Hz.

The same happens with a new save, it's playable, but the crashing is unavoidable. I was in a dead end with the instant crashing earlier too, but then it stopped for some not known reason... I think then I deleted the DCbackups, though I don't think that was the reason for crashing. Maybe simply changing what the sims were doing was what prevented the crash. Was before I did anything to fps or Vsync. The CAS is "a safe place", the game doesn't crash while in there. These tricks don't help the current save though, it still crashes almost instantly.

if your monitor is 144hz than your fps should be 144 which is where you were so no need for nvidia inspector to cap you at 60 fps.

What is your power supply?

@chesterbigbird we still have crashing need help Thanks
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Yes power supply info would be helpful.
    Also i would monitor your temps.
    Download hwmonitor, install the program and LEAVE IT OPEN AND RUNNING while playing. Then close the game and check hwmonitor for max temps on your cpu and gpu. If you can take some screen shots of hwmonitor and post the results here.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

Power supply is Evga G2 600W. Temps are close to idle temps (have aio cooling on it). Gpu max is 42C, Cpu tops at 50C.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Power supply is Evga G2 600W. Temps are close to idle temps (have aio cooling on it). Gpu max is 42C, Cpu tops at 50C.

Thats all good.
    Can you post the device config info here, (post the rating info and graphics info )
    you made sure your drivers are up to date?
    Also can you post your dxdiag
    Press and hold the Windows key and "R"
    Type dxdiag into the run box
    Open program
    Once open click save all information.
    Find where you saved the file and open with note pad, Copy and paste the whole report here.
    Multiple posts will be needed.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited July 2016
    Here's a reason why newer cards are not recognized.
    The Sims 3 uses two files known as GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr. GraphicsCards.sgr is a database of graphics cards which it uses to determine if a card is supported or not while the purpose of GraphicsRules.sgr is to determine the appropriate settings for the video card. These two files are also used in The Sims 2, The Sims Stories, The Sims Medieval, and The Sims 4.

Because Electronic Arts hasn't updated The Sims 3 (and The Sims Medieval), the two files have never been updated to include the newer cards so any computer that uses a video card that isn't in the database (e.g., NVIDIA GeForce 960) causes a Unrecognized Video Card dialog to appear. Affected video cards include the NVIDIA GeForce 700/900/1000 series, the AMD Radeon R 200/300/400 series, and Intel graphics newer than Intel HD 4000 (this includes Haswell, Broadwell, and Skylake processors). I suppose it's possible to edit those two files to include the card so that The Sims 3 or Medieval recognizes the video card although its not simple.

However, you'll have to deal with another issue which is that The Sims 3 lacks vsync or an FPS limiter. Some cards such as the NVIDIA GeForce 960 can run TS3 over 60 fps which could lead to issues such as cards overheating.

These issues will get worse as time progresses due to newer cards becoming more powerful and newer cards being released. I'm going to assume that the NVIDIA 10 cards (1080/1070/1060) will run TS3 over 60 fps.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • SimarchangelSimarchangel Posts: 264 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm just going to chuck this in here, though igazor has already given me advice on how to deal with my own GTX 1070 problems.

WinMacSims3 is quite right - the GTX1070 is not listed in GraphicsCards.sgr so the game cannot recognise it, and therefore the issue I have is that this squashed the texture memory down to 32MB (which looks horrible!) I've tried to resolve that (thanks igazor!) and, though the texture memory in GraphicsRules.sgr is now at a more respectable 1024MB, there is no difference in game and may not be unless I can get my card recognized.

No crashes for me, seems stable enough, just the crappy textures. And yep, I've limited my fps too... before that it went as high as 120 (monitor set to 60, not good).
    Post edited by Simarchangel on
    I'm just going to chuck this in here, though igazor has already given me advice on how to deal with my own GTX 1070 problems.

WinMacSims3 is quite right - the GTX1070 is not listed in GraphicsCards.sgr so the game cannot recognise it, and therefore the issue I have is that this squashed the texture memory down to 32MB (which looks horrible!) I've tried to resolve that (thanks igazor!) and, though the texture memory in GraphicsRules.sgr is now at a more respectable 1024MB, there is no difference in game and may not be unless I can get my card recognized.

No crashes for me, seems stable enough, just the plum textures. And yep, I've limited my fps too... before that it went as high as 120 (monitor set to 60, not good).

You can get that card recognized by using the strategy to "borrow" the profile of one that already exists in GraphicsCards.sgr. I've responded to the other thread over here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15167773/#Comment_15167773
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!