Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Official Trailer for Backyard Stuff + Quarterly teaser

Comments

• IanamusIanamus Posts: 101 Member
    edited July 2016
    Icewolf wrote: »
    Now when the stuff pack announcement is out off the way, I'm more intrigued what we're gonna get in the patches!

I really, REALLY don't hope that we'll get nannies. Like, seriously. Since kids can take care off themselves and babies get automatically sent to day care, I don't really see the need for an nanny.

I think it's not so much a need as a want, to expand what we can choose to do in our gameplay. I've seen lots of players request the option if only for babies, especially on longer lifespan or with aging off. (I'm neither here nor there on the idea, personally. But always happy to see more choices in the game for players. EDIT: Also, still not convinced that that's hinted at here! But I haven't seen a more convincing idea about the baby's presence either.)

Do babysitters really add any new gameplay, though? The whole point of them is that you aren't going to be on your home lot, so you'll never see or interact with them. The Sims 3 was open world and you could toggle to your toddlers and see how they were doing, so it made sense, but you can't toggle to babies in the Sims 4.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited July 2016
    Ianamus wrote: »
    Now when the stuff pack announcement is out off the way, I'm more intrigued what we're gonna get in the patches!

I really, REALLY don't hope that we'll get nannies. Like, seriously. Since kids can take care off themselves and babies get automatically sent to day care, I don't really see the need for an nanny.

I think it's not so much a need as a want, to expand what we can choose to do in our gameplay. I've seen lots of players request the option if only for babies, especially on longer lifespan or with aging off. (I'm neither here nor there on the idea, personally. But always happy to see more choices in the game for players. EDIT: Also, still not convinced that that's hinted at here! But I haven't seen a more convincing idea about the baby's presence either.)

Do babysitters really add any new gameplay, though? The whole point of them is that you aren't going to be on your home lot, so you'll never see or interact with them.

I suppose that depends on how they get implemented, right? Maybe we'd be able to be on the home lot (which I am, if all my Sims have gone to work) if there's a nanny there. It's all speculation right now.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member

Do babysitters really add any new gameplay, though? The whole point of them is that you aren't going to be on your home lot, so you'll never see or interact with them.
    I guess you could watch them take care of the baby while your sim is at work or something. Or maybe you could call them to watch the baby even if your sim is at home.
    I'm not too excited if that's what we're getting either way.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I much rather have a nanny watch the kids than a rabbit hole.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member

Your joking right? so you think it is okay for kids that young to be left alone at home? well I do hope that we get Nannies, cause I refuse to leave My Sim kids home alone.
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    edited July 2016
    Maybe this is just me but I don't see much use for nannies. Like there's not nuch that needs to be done with babies and kids practically take care of themselves.

Edit: Thinking about it now. It might just boil down to giving the players a choice. But to each their own.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited July 2016
    the backyard stuff pack looks fun, but it feels like we had a lot of backyard related things already like, perfect patio, movie hangout, romantic gardens. wish they will release something more directed towards community lots

Romantic Garden was mostly directed to community lots, not homes - they even included a Park lot. Perfect Patio's hot tubs are useful in Gym, Pool, and Spa lots. I've got a movie-theatre set up in a Café, and I've seen Simmers make outdoor movie setups in Parks. Really, they might show the content in a home lot, but nothing's stopping us from using the content creatively. I'm going to add a water slide or to to the park in Oasis Springs, where I'd already added a pool - it's my "all-ages playground" park; in Willow Creek, I've got a fountain and wishing well - it's more a "dating" go-to.

I've got my wishing well and outdoor cinema with popcorn/ice cream/grill outdoor kitchen set up at the ruins. Sims can only make a wish if they get invited there, and the cinema makes it useful when it's not set up for a dance party. Sims head to the screen and start watching TV autonomously if there's no party. Slip and slide might work at the bluffs too :p
  • z0mg_z0mbiez0mg_z0mbie Posts: 84 Member
    so excited!!
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »

I guess you could watch them take care of the baby while your sim is at work or something. Or maybe you could call them to watch the baby even if your sim is at home.

Pretty sure good nannies in TS2 would also cook meals for the kids and clean if the baby/toddler/child didn't need them. You could get bad ones too that neglected their charges and lazed about. If they were bad you could fire them and hire another.
    EmmaVane wrote: »

Pretty sure good nannies in TS2 would also cook meals for the kids and clean if the baby/toddler/child didn't need them. You could get bad ones too that neglected their charges and lazed about. If they were bad you could fire them and hire another.

Yup Sims 2 has some really good Nannies, I make sure to hire them and they keep track of the parents work hours so they know when to show up and such, :)
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Yup Sims 2 has some really good Nannies, I make sure to hire them and they keep track of the parents work hours so they know when to show up and such, :)
    I loved the Sims 2 nannies. Plus I'd use the butlers to watch the kids and pets too. Then add a robot to the mix and I was good to go.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Scobre wrote: »

I loved the Sims 2 nannies. Plus I'd use the butlers to watch the kids and pets too. Then add a robot to the mix and I was good to go.

My other fave is the Skeleton Bone Maid, she is so kool to watch, come out of her box to clean the house, lol
  • ManPhobIaManPhobIa Posts: 88 Member
    Does anyone have an estimate of when the next bundle will arrive? I imagine it'll be Dine Out, Kids Stuff + Backyard Stuff together so it'd be neat to catch up on them that way.

And I believe it's been already released.

Thanks, I just checked about that. Shame it isn't bundled with the two new stuff packs though. They don't package the same game in more than one bundle do they then? :/
  • Cesal95Cesal95 Posts: 298 Member
    I really liked the trailer :) I'm excited about the wind chimes lol. Besides that I hope they add the nanny npc soon :)
    PoroLoL_zpset4qfym5.gif
  • starcrunchstarcrunch Posts: 672 Member

Your joking right? so you think it is okay for kids that young to be left alone at home? well I do hope that we get Nannies, cause I refuse to leave My Sim kids home alone.

If they've earned it, I think a kid (I mean 7 or 8 years old, which is at least what I see Sims kids as) can be at home alone for a while (we're talking a couple hours). Even at that age I treated earning autonomy and proving to my parents that I could manage for a while without direct supervision so I didn't have to be drug along to boring things as a really important part of growing up and becoming a little bit more of me. There were rules and talks and lessons about what to do in different situations so I'm not talking about them just up and leaving me one day, and I would love for my sims children to need to learn that kind of stuff (think of it as Sims 2/3 toddlers+). I followed the rules and boundaries my parents set religiously, because breaking them and getting caught would cost me a hard won privilege and have disappointed people that had put trust in me. I can still remember a friend coming over uninvited and how hard I worked to get him to go home (which he did and I told my parents he'd been by - trust!).

Honestly it's the teens you need to worry about being home alone... Teens are really terribly dangerous if left to their own devices.
    OriginID: CrunchedStars
    starcrunch wrote: »

If they've earned it, I think a kid (I mean 7 or 8 years old, which is at least what I see Sims kids as) can be at home alone for a while (we're talking a couple hours). Even at that age I treated earning autonomy and proving to my parents that I could manage for a while without direct supervision so I didn't have to be drug along to boring things as a really important part of growing up and becoming a little bit more of me. There were rules and talks and lessons about what to do in different situations so I'm not talking about them just up and leaving me one day, and I would love for my sims children to need to learn that kind of stuff (think of it as Sims 2/3 toddlers+). I followed the rules and boundaries my parents set religiously, because breaking them and getting caught would cost me a hard won privilege and have disappointed people that had put trust in me. I can still remember a friend coming over uninvited and how hard I worked to get him to go home (which he did and I told my parents he'd been by - trust!).

Honestly it's the teens you need to worry about being home alone... Teens are really terribly dangerous if left to their own devices.

I disagree, not all Teens are that way, When I was a Teen, I was changing diapers and taking care of My Siblings, while the parents were out doing their own thing, So I basically had to raise My Siblings, there are some like me who take responsibility for others like that, I was basically on my own from 15-16 on , I would of never left the younger ones to fend for themselves, cause they would of been alone. but that is just me and my opinion bout it.
  • littlearchitectlittlearchitect Posts: 277 Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm guessing GP4 will be focused on family play so that it will go really well with the latest stuff packs in a bundle. IMO, kids room focus on children and this backyard stuff focus on spending time with family in the backyard (the reason why I think that is because of the colors and themes of the objects, it looks kinda childish to me) :)
    Post edited by littlearchitect on
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon__gif___fan_art__by_hazzaplumbob-dayfe38.gif

I disagree, not all Teens are that way, When I was a Teen, I was changing diapers and taking care of My Siblings, while the parents were out doing their own thing, So I basically had to raise My Siblings, there are some like me who take responsibility for others like that, I was basically on my own from 15-16 on , I would of never left the younger ones to fend for themselves, cause they would of been alone. but that is just me and my opinion bout it.

I think teens can be trusted at looking after their younger siblings (I have none, I was youngest by 10 years and we weren't well off, so I spent time alone while my parents worked). It was mostly meant as a joke, that "kid" age me was a lot safer than "teen" age me, and there's some truth to that. I have faith that an 8 year old can be alone for a few hours after specifically being taught to be so, because all of history and a huge swath of geography in the modern era suggests this is true and I don't think US (and to a lesser extent UK) 8 year olds are particularly incapable.

In the end the situation most of these kids are in has nothing to do with someone wanting to leave them alone - it's just the reality of not having money or siblings, and loads of children like me have managed it (the most dangerous thing for children is to put them in a car and drive them anywhere). I suspect kids fortunate enough to have responsible siblings like you are just as capable of resisting the urge to turn the stove on as I was.
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member

One thing that would be pretty nice would be if your babysitter calls you because something's happened at the house.

Say your Sim is on a date with a person their seeing. They have two kids from a previous marriage that didn't work out. The Sim calls a babysitter to look after them while they and their date go out. You're in the middle of a romantic moment, when suddenly, *ring ring!* your phone starts ringing. You check the number and it's... the sitter? You pick up, and the first thing you hear is the sitter yelling on the phone, saying that the kids are misbehaving severely and she needs help. You cancel your date early and rush you Sim back home. You arrive and you find...

Broken plumbing, water leaking everywhere, the sitter and kids are all freaking out because they don't know what to do. You dismiss the sitter to give her a break and try to clean up the house before things get any worse. You can't trust your kids right now, so you'll need to make sure they behave. You call a stricter nanny. Strict bedtime, pretty bad dinner, the kids are suffering. Your Sim comes back from a great date to find the house in a peaceful manner. The kids, however, get tense, angry, or sad depending on their traits, and will come to have a negative relationship with this nanny. But the parent is happy. What'll happen next? Will the mom notice her children's suffering and get back the first sitter at the risk of a disaster again? Or will they keep the strict nanny so that they can be happy at their kids' expense?

At least, that's what I'm hoping will happen. Probably a bit optimistic :sweat_smile:
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png

I think teens can be trusted at looking after their younger siblings (I have none, I was youngest by 10 years and we weren't well off, so I spent time alone while my parents worked). It was mostly meant as a joke, that "kid" age me was a lot safer than "teen" age me, and there's some truth to that. I have faith that an 8 year old can be alone for a few hours after specifically being taught to be so, because all of history and a huge swath of geography in the modern era suggests this is true and I don't think US (and to a lesser extent UK) 8 year olds are particularly incapable.

In the end the situation most of these kids are in has nothing to do with someone wanting to leave them alone - it's just the reality of not having money or siblings, and loads of children like me have managed it (the most dangerous thing for children is to put them in a car and drive them anywhere). I suspect kids fortunate enough to have responsible siblings like you are just as capable of resisting the urge to turn the stove on as I was.

I was 10 when I started to take care of My siblings, cause my parents were not there for them or me, so Ya i can relate, I had to make sure they got dressed, had their meals, were clean when they went to school and everything, I basically did not have a childhood, I had to be the parent at that age, I am sorry for those who do not have anyone to care for them, it just makes me sad.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    If it is some type of Nanny NPC, I wish they could have made the Babysitter teen career active. And you can go to people's houses and take care of their kids until a certain time and then they get paid for it. Since there's tasks some could be: Feed kids, bathe kids, read them a story, play with them, put them to bed, etc.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

If it is some type of Nanny NPC, I wish they could have made the Babysitter teen career active. And you can go to people's houses and take care of their kids until a certain time and then they get paid for it. Since there's tasks some could be: Feed kids, bathe kids, read them a story, play with them, put them to bed, etc.

that is a great idea, I do hope they do that, :)

I was 10 when I started to take care of My siblings, cause my parents were not there for them or me, so Ya i can relate, I had to make sure they got dressed, had their meals, were clean when they went to school and everything, I basically did not have a childhood, I had to be the parent at that age, I am sorry for those who do not have anyone to care for them, it just makes me sad.

Awesomed (new verb), because that's what you are!
  • JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member

One thing that would be pretty nice would be if your babysitter calls you because something's happened at the house.

Say your Sim is on a date with a person their seeing. They have two kids from a previous marriage that didn't work out. The Sim calls a babysitter to look after them while they and their date go out. You're in the middle of a romantic moment, when suddenly, *ring ring!* your phone starts ringing. You check the number and it's... the sitter? You pick up, and the first thing you hear is the sitter yelling on the phone, saying that the kids are misbehaving severely and she needs help. You cancel your date early and rush you Sim back home. You arrive and you find...

Broken plumbing, water leaking everywhere, the sitter and kids are all freaking out because they don't know what to do. You dismiss the sitter to give her a break and try to clean up the house before things get any worse. You can't trust your kids right now, so you'll need to make sure they behave. You call a stricter nanny. Strict bedtime, pretty bad dinner, the kids are suffering. Your Sim comes back from a great date to find the house in a peaceful manner. The kids, however, get tense, angry, or sad depending on their traits, and will come to have a negative relationship with this nanny. But the parent is happy. What'll happen next? Will the mom notice her children's suffering and get back the first sitter at the risk of a disaster again? Or will they keep the strict nanny so that they can be happy at their kids' expense?

At least, that's what I'm hoping will happen. Probably a bit optimistic :sweat_smile:

I.. I want.. I WANT ALL OF THIS!

EA read this and..

200.gif

Awesomed (new verb), because that's what you are!

Why Thank you kindly, :)