Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge

Comments

• SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    @ewright9 That's actually a pretty good idea, I like it :) I could even see how it might be possible for someone with modding skills to create an actual hireable painter service, who would come and paint a family portrait. But manually moving in a painter and paying them a commission sounds fine as well. I can't say off the top of my head how much such a commission would be, but I'm thinking it should be a bit on the expensive side, since it's both a one-time thing per Era, and you don't have to practice painting with one of your own Sims. You're very welcome to try things out and see what would be a good, sizeable investment, yet not so much that you'd feel economically crippled in any Era.

EDIT: Oh, and by all means, go ahead and create some Era-themed painter Sims. It's not like I would be able to stop you anyway :)

I think I'll try $1,000 commission per Sim being painted (as in, if you have 5 Sims in your portrait it costs $5,000), but if you befriend the painter maybe you could get a discount to $700 or $500 per Sim being painted :) I'll get started on the Painters today and upload them to the gallery under #historychallenge once I'm done with them :)
    Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
    Just a heads up, my name is changed from ewright9 to Snowie now :)
  • xoxJennxoxxoxJennxox Posts: 406 Member
    I've been stalking this page for a couple of days (I'm reading the whole thing and I made it to page 16) and the name change threw me off. I do like it though. I am getting ready to start my play, just want to try and get through the rest of the pages first.
    Origin ID xoxJennxox
    Jenn's Junkyard - Current Stuff
    Tart ISBI -Completed 12/12/2016
  • AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Or play the painter temporarily and visit the household? Instead of moving them in/out? Especially with 8 sim households that could work well!
  • CloudseekerCloudseeker Posts: 353 Member
    @AlHollandiyah You are not allowed to play households other than you main one, not even temporarily (this is due to how the game simulates inactive households, sometimes resulting in them having done something that wouldn't be possible if you had actively played them).
    34in38k.png
    Update time! I've finished my speed build series on YouTube so I'll now be uploading my streams of this challenge in 30 minute parts every day (or so). So far my Sim working on the skill goal has level 9 gardening, level 9 woodworking (bathtub HYPE), and level 8 fishing. I just reached the 20k goal in stream today, after 12 hours (WOW) of playing. My male Sim has (hopefully) gotten a total of I think 4 women pregnant (including his "mate" who just had her second baby in stream today). I haven't started on the anglerfish yet, but probably will in stream tomorrow as I think it's time for a family fishing trip :) So far none of my Sims have died, so I think everything is going well! Also, my household has $17,602 in cash, their lot is worth a whopping $28,798, for a total net worth of $46,400. Not bad for a couple of cave-Sims!

I've finished a painter for each era, and they're uploaded to the gallery under #historychallenge. Just a reminder to anyone making their own painters, be sure to set their painting skill to at least level 3 before uploading them to the gallery! You can easily do this by: turning testing cheats on, then typing this: stats.set_skill_level major_painting 10 (the 10 is the skill level, so set that to at least 3). Make sure you have your painter Sim active when you do this!

@Cloudseeker With the new kids room stuff pack, kids can now "search for forgotten toys" in trash cans and logs (where you would normally get frogs). This action apparently is always successful at finding a toy, which will range from a voidcritter booster pack (containing a voidcritter card) to actual toys the kids can play with. I'm not sure if you want to allow kids to play with toys obtained this way or not, but I've been collecting the voidcritter cards as they don't do anything without the game station anyway, and figured they could count toward collectible goals (other than the 20k in the Prehistoric era, obviously). Let me know about the toys, if you think the kids can play with them at any time or not :)
    xoxJennxox wrote: »
    I've been stalking this page for a couple of days (I'm reading the whole thing and I made it to page 16) and the name change threw me off. I do like it though. I am getting ready to start my play, just want to try and get through the rest of the pages first.

Lol, sorry about causing confusion! It's probably not necessary to read through ALL of the pages, you probably just need to read the ones since the last update :)
  • icecradleicecradle Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm really interested in doing this challenge, I had always planned on doing something similar in ts2 but never got around to it. I played medieval and frontier based hoods though. But at the moment the gender restrictions are making me uncomfortable. I understand the reasons, of course, although there always have been women who defied cultural convention to succeed in careers or even posed as men. Plus I'd probably want to include gay sims throughout, even though marriage laws are recent, LGBT people are not a modern invention.

Anyway, if I play this challenge, I will probably tweak the gender related rules which I guess counts as cheating =/. I want things to be hard, but the whitewashing of successful women, plus LGBT+ people throughout history bothers me quite a bit (by that I mean whitewashing within history records and the reflection of that within this challenge).
  • AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    @AlHollandiyah You are not allowed to play households other than you main one, not even temporarily (this is due to how the game simulates inactive households, sometimes resulting in them having done something that wouldn't be possible if you had actively played them).

Ah, thats why. I thought it was purely because of the rules, but I understand now. Thanks for explaining!
    @Snowie Very nice! Good that everything is going well :)

Whether or not kids play with toys is more of a flavour thing, I think, so I'll leave that up to the judgement of the player.

@icecradle When I first designed this challenge, there were no gender restrictions. But, a lot of people wanted there to be restrictions on what women and men could do, partly for historical accuracy, and partly because it would make the challenge a bit more interesting and not as "flat". So that's why I decided to add the restrictions. But there is certainly nothing stopping you from tweaking a part of the challenge that would make you uncomfortable.
    34in38k.png
  • UniSimsUniSims Posts: 1,246 Member
    My save file is gone.... My 4 generation family... :'( I must start anew.
    laughing-gifs-old-timey.gif

Everything is more colourful in black and white
    My history challenge family is gone so I am starting again. I look forward to redoing this challenge.

@UniSims That's so sad to hear. Let's hope your new save stays :)
    34in38k.png
  • PixelChampionPixelChampion Posts: 50 Member
    Hey! I've just read through the majority of these pages, because I am obsessed with this challenge, and I've recently started playing it.I do have a question, since the Prehistoric goal was updated to not allow fish and plants, does this mean any paintings we sell can contribute to the goal?
    @PixelChampion Paintings are worth so much money that the goal would be completely trivial if they counted, so that's why only rocks, fossils, frogs and woodwork contribute to that goal. Paintings do however count towards the challenge-wide "Earn 250 000 simoleons during a single Era" goal.
    34in38k.png
    edited July 2016
    Hello all! I just finished uploading the first episode of my playthrough of this challenge, which will all be found in this playlist on my YouTube channel!
    One can only speculate, but it looks like we may be getting new outfits for babies soon! Not sure if it's with the upcoming stuff pack or with a free update. All I know is, that it'll be more historically accurate! :smiley:
    http://simsvip.com/2016/07/05/sims-4-upcoming-stuff-pack-teaser/
  • MeTime85MeTime85 Posts: 142 Member
    tammyjo329 wrote: »
    Well I am sure in prehistoric times they had some bushes they could go behind and use as a toilet. I think I'll put one behind a few bushes and hopefully they wont be mortified by embarassment! :wink:

Oh I almost forgot to ask... Kyra has a little boy Deacon. Should the children be allowed to go to school in prehistoric era??
    Yes, they may go to school. I was at first thinking of not allowing school until the Old West, but it would just have been a hassle to stop them from going every day, and needing mods to not make the social services take them away for getting bad grades. Since going to school doesn't really change much for a Sim (at the moment), I figured that it isn't worth all that hassle.

They can now drop out of school with a mod. I have to start my challenge over, and I'm re-reading this thread because I forgot where I left off, but I will book mark for future reference.
    For-forum.jpg
    I have tons of questions, but I have to write them down in order to remember. But I am going to tweak my challenge a little too(not breaking the rules though, of course) because I want it to be more realistic to the times. I think I will do a fb page on my challenge. I will also set my challenge, during gameplay, up for the new beginnings challenge by moving sims to other worlds when necessary, starting with windenburg, then willow creek, then newcrest and add magnolia in as a business district.
    For-forum.jpg
    I have a few questions: 1) What are we supposed to do with the ghosts of the ancestors? I've never played with ghosts, and don't plan to if I can help it.
    2) Can I change my founder's aspirations? I just wanted to suit my ancestor's roles. I wanted to make my male sim leader of the pack while my female sim is social butterfly, but I want to make it so that they have the traits given with the first aspiration, which is collector.
    3) Can we sell flowers and any other plants that we can't eat?
    4) Can we sell what we find or do we need to show it at the end of each era? I just noticed that we have a panel telling us what we've collected.
    For-forum.jpg
    MeTime85 wrote: »
    I have a few questions: 1) What are we supposed to do with the ghosts of the ancestors? I've never played with ghosts, and don't plan to if I can help it.
    2) Can I change my founder's aspirations? I just wanted to suit my ancestor's roles. I wanted to make my male sim leader of the pack while my female sim is social butterfly, but I want to make it so that they have the traits given with the first aspiration, which is collector.
    3) Can we sell flowers and any other plants that we can't eat?
    4) Can we sell what we find or do we need to show it at the end of each era? I just noticed that we have a panel telling us what we've collected.

Hi, welcome to the challenge and to this awesome thread!
    1. Ghosts are pretty chill, unless you add them to your family they'll just occasionally roam around your lot and possess things. The only way to get them back into the household is to befriend them and move them in that way.
    2. Aspirations cannot be changed challenge-wide. You're stuck with the bonus trait, whatever it may be, of the aspiration you picked/ended up with. Also, the Social Butterfly aspiration is a kid's aspiration, FYI.
    3. You can absolutely sell any flowers, MySims trophies, kitchen upgrade parts, etc that you may find through fishing, gardening, or collecting. Keep in mind, though, that only the money made from selling rocks, fossils, metals, frogs, and woodworking counts toward the 20k goal in the Prehistoric era. You're more than welcome to sell anything else you may come across, and you're free to spend the money how you wish--as long as you follow the item rules for each era. :)

Hope this helped! Happy Simming :)
    I guess. That still didn't answer my ancestor ghost question :(
    For-forum.jpg
    MeTime85 wrote: »
    I guess. That still didn't answer my ancestor ghost question :(

You leave the tombs of the ancestors on the lot, the ghosts may come out occasionally. You do not need to play them in order to achieve the goal. You just need to find the ghost while is out and befriend it with one of your sims.

• xoxJennxoxxoxJennxox Posts: 406 Member
    I'm working my way through Generation 0 (around $6,000, 3 kids with 3 women).

My question is How do you do the family portrait?
    Origin ID xoxJennxox
    Jenn's Junkyard - Current Stuff
    Tart ISBI -Completed 12/12/2016
    xoxJennxox wrote: »
    I'm working my way through Generation 0 (around $6,000, 3 kids with 3 women).

My question is How do you do the family portrait?

@Snowie has put up era painters. You move them into the household, paint the picture pay a price (Whatever you think is appropriate atm) then move out again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top