Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Building real life houses in The Sims 4

Timoth26Timoth26 Posts: 412 Member
Hey, does anyone have any tips on building houses from real life into the game? I've tried building them but never could figure out how the rooms should fit. I try to get it to look exactly like it's real life counter part. So, has anybody got any tips on how to do it and also are there any houses on the gallery that reassemble their real life counterpart? Thanks.

Comments

• BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I would love to do this, especially with my awesome grandmother's awesome house, except the problem with the idea in general is that in making everything vis-a-vis internal decorating into an exact replica, one could easily end up with a build that isn't very "play-friendly" - ie, difficult visibility of the inside from multiple angles.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I have done it. But the proprtions are always off. You kind of have to do the best you can and not insist on 100% accuracy.
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    I frequently build from blueprints. I use a rough translation of one sim lot square to 3' (since a standard door is one square and about 3' wide.) You have to get a bit creative with the superfluous spaces like the boiler room or really big closets, but it usually works quite well.
    Well I can't post pictures, but if you take out theface, change the (dots), and paste this into your browser you can see my latest build from real life.

http ://i291(dot)photobucket(dot)com/albums/ll320/kaffeefiend/Sim%20Builds/

I got the design here: https://houseplans.co/house-plans/1242a/
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Well I can't post pictures, but if you take out theface, change the (dots), and paste this into your browser you can see my latest build from real life.

http ://i291(dot)photobucket(dot)com/albums/ll320/kaffeefiend/Sim%20Builds/

I got the design here: https://houseplans.co/house-plans/1242a/

Probably because you were trying to post the link to your entire album -- if you just post one picture at a time that should work.

Nice job! I've been trying to remember my childhood home (haven't lived there for 25 years and it was sold when my mom died 11 years ago) so I can re-create it, or at least a close approximation. Need a washer and dryer to really finish it off; the laundry room was just off the family room.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    I love browsing Dezeen's architectural magazine online for inspiration. They have both exterior and interior shots, as well as layout designs for most articles.

If you want to recreate something from memory, maybe try to draw it on square paper first? The game can be a little tricky with some things like window placement and difference in floor levels, but if you're willing to look past that you can create most real buildings virtually also.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I've been all round my grandmother's house, noting down wall legths and colours, furniture etc so I can make a sim version and show it to her. She's 91 though and doesn't know what the sims is so she might not be very impressed.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • SkewedReality04SkewedReality04 Posts: 1,450 Member
    I always use real homes as blueprints for house ideas, I can't just make them up on my own, I built this house the other day. I try to make my houses as close as possible to the plans, but sometimes I have to just wing it and do something a little different. The backyards hardly ever look the same lol. I will also sometimes slightly customize it so it will fit my sims needs better. So far this is my on my top 3 list of favorite house builds, the other two can be seen down below.
    w1024.jpg?v=8
    [img][/img]06-13-16_10-59-42nbspAM_zpseq0gewxm.png

02-24-16_12-47-53nbspPM_zpsreyumd5d.png
    03-07-16_12-31-46nbspAM_zpshpgjvurx.png

I love the rock lined path. I will be stealing that idea. :)
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I love the rock lined path. I will be stealing that idea. :)

IKR! I was delighted to find that you don't need MOO to make nice rock walls. It is crazy time consuming to make them, though. You can't make New England style homes without a rock wall. :)

04-05-16_10-45-26nbspPM_zpsr2srbfch.png

I got lazy on this one
    04-04-16_8-56-41nbspPM_zps1cdceeyr.png
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
    @Piperbird Your houses are always so cute!
  • JaysWrxldJaysWrxld Posts: 618 Member
    TheSimer wrote: »
    I never tried it with the interior, but i build this house:
    CjZ7-KyWgAA0yYs.jpg:large
    lMAIgwB.png

That is really nice!
    @Timoth26, was it you that requested this build a long time ago. I remembered this morning that I had a build called Timoth House.

00.jpg
  • shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    Oh yea, I don't build often because it takes me hours but when I do I follow house plans :)
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    TheSimer wrote: »
    I never tried it with the interior, but i build this house:
    CjZ7-KyWgAA0yYs.jpg:large
    lMAIgwB.png

Is this on the gallery?
    giphy_1.gif
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    edited June 2016
    Wow I love the houses,
    @Piperbird the cottages are so cute.

when you put windows in the roof they can't actually stand under the roof can they????

@TheSimer I find it hard to believe that real people live in such huge houses. I do like your copy awesome.
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    I use this website to build some of the houses in the sims 4. http://www.eplans.com/ The lots are small so be careful how many rooms you put into them.
    edited June 2016
    Wow I love the houses,
    @Piperbird the cottages are so cute.

when you put windows in the roof they can't actually stand under the roof can they????

@TheSimer I find it hard to believe that real people live in such huge houses. I do like your copy awesome.

They are decoration only in most of my builds. You can get Sims to walk up there if you pitch the roof high enough, they seem to know where they can and can't fit. In the build for the Timoth house pictured above, Sims can go in that upper space and use it where that window is. I just don't really like how it works actually using the space in live mode. I just use it as a way to break up the blank space in the wall. It looks nicer with something there.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    @Piperbird wrote: »
    I have built many of the homes I have lived in. Some simply do not translate, so you have to improvise. The best way I have had success is building room by room (instead of a shell and filling it in), placing furniture as I go to get the sizes correct. It is really rewarding.

My house:
    06-27-15_5-11nbspPM_zpsr634uszl.png

Some other houses I used to live in:
    04-24-15_9-22nbspPM_zpsuobkwklb.png
    04-25-15_7-59nbspPM_zps5qrwx7xx.png

My Grandmother's old house:
    04-25-15_5-32nbspPM_zpszvkpqg8w.png

My Aunt's house:
    05-04-15_6-52nbspPM_zpsgyu24ylv.png

Some houses I pass on my drive to work (I had to make up the insides):
    06-13-15_12-04nbspAM_zpsp9fuwn0g.png
    00.jpg

I can feel your struggle with the lack of actual garage doors. XD
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I have a lot of house planning books, form cabins, modern, to international. I look through and find a house I like and convert the floor plans to fit with the sims. I have had them from sims 2.
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    I have a lot of house planning books, form cabins, modern, to international. I look through and find a house I like and convert the floor plans to fit with the sims. I have had them from sims 2.

I do this also. I buy from charity shops for about 25 to 50 cents and I make what I can from there. I also use the site http://www.eplans.com/ when I do not feel like looking through the book or it is in th cabinet and I am lazy LOL
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

I can feel your struggle with the lack of actual garage doors. XD

Lol, yeah. Same with laundry rooms. I just have to sort of wing it. I usually just use a lot of counters and hampers and just pretend it is a laundry room. Maybe someday these things will be added, and it will be easy to add them into my builds because the space for them is already there. I just love in TS4 we can stack stairs. That made it possible to build that ugly pea green house I used to live in. I couldn't build it properly in TS3. Although, in TS4 it does not allow me to make the upstairs dormer room correctly. Oh, well.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    My method is counting the number of windows and their placement. One window = one wall tile. Measure how many single tile windows would fit in the empty spaces and that's the length of the wall. Most normal houses have between 5-7 wall tiles per room. Sometimes a bit more for the kitchen. Mansions are a lot harder to plan out because they usually have large gaps without windows.