Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Sims 4 Game is Slow and Laggy

Hi, Starting yesterday my game started to be really laggy and slow. I dowloaded a Britney Spears sim and thought that that was the problem; so I deleted her. I restarted my game and it still was slow and laggy. Please help. Here are my computer specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 2.8 GHz
Number of Cores 4
CPU ID BFEBFBFF000206A7
Family 06
Model 2A
Stepping 7
Revision 14
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Chipset GeForce 9600 GT
Dedicated Memory 512 MB
Total Memory 3.2 GB
Pixel Shader Version 4.0
Vertex Shader Version 4.0
Hardware T & L Yes
Vendor ID 10DE
Device ID 0622
Plug and Play ID VEN_10DE&DEV_0622&SUBSYS_C8623842&REV_A1
Driver Version 9.18.13.4052
Memory 6.2 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Service Pack 1
Size 64 Bit
Edition Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601
Locale 0409
BIOS MBA v14.2.0 Slot 0300
Version Dell Inc. A03
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Date 02/15/11
Display Maximum Resolution 1440 x 900
Sound Device 1 High Definition Audio Device
Driver Version 6.1.7601.17514
Sound Device 2 Webcam C260
Driver Version 13.31.1044.0
Sound Device 3 High Definition Audio Device
Driver Version 6.1.7601.17514
Sound Device 4 NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
Driver Version
DVD PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16ABS ATA Device
CD PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16ABS ATA Device
Drive 1
Size 931.4 GB
Free 823.1 GB
Drive 2
Size 232.9 GB
Free 31.7 GB
Drive 3
Size 125.0 MB
Free 95.1 MB
Browsers
Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.17358
Chrome 38.0.2125.104
Firefox
Safari
Software
Java 7.0.670
Flash 15.0.0.167
DirectX 11.0
.NET 3.5.30729.5420
QuickTime
Adobe PDF Reader 11.0.9.29

Comments

• colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    You only have 3.2 GB of total memory and the game needs 4 GB of total memory.

It is most likely your memory that is causing the slowness and lagginess.
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    edited October 2014
    That is not true. Minimum requirement is 2Gb:
    http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-sims-4-system-requirements/

RAM is not causing laggyness.

Karen, will you please try to delete game cache:
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/

If that doesn't help, try emptying your sims' inventory if it's filled with hundred of items - sell them.

If that also won't help, can you please post the size of your latest savegame file?
  • karenlynnvdp24karenlynnvdp24 Posts: 27 Member
    edited October 2014
    How do I get the size of my last game save file?
    Nevermind I figured it out.
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    LOL that's the last question, not first, and supposed to check only if two previous ones don't help.

But anyway, you'll find saves in this folder:
    C:\Users\user_profile\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\saves
    edited October 2014
    Oh ok sorry lol...

How is my graphics card? Do I need a bigger one?
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    colton147 wrote: »
    You only have 3.2 GB of total memory and the game needs 4 GB of total memory.

It is most likely your memory that is causing the slowness and lagginess.
    Just to correct that.. it has 3.2GB of total Vram not system ram.
    The memory is 6.2GB.. which is fine.
    What graphics settings have you got? you might want to turn them down as your graphics card will not handle the game on high settings.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

I have my graphics on medium is that ok?
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    The NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT is old tech and should be upgraded. It has a GDDR3 interface (slow compared to GDDR5) and 64 CUDA cores (shaders) - more is better. IMO this card is under powered and considered upper entry level by today's standards. This card is way behind the current Nvidia product line.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Or turn on the 'laptop mode' in the settings which could make it run faster.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    bob007 wrote: »
    The NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT is old tech and should be upgraded. It has a GDDR3 interface (slow compared to GDDR5) and 64 CUDA cores (shaders) - more is better. IMO this card is under powered and considered upper entry level by today's standards. This card is way behind the current Nvidia product line.
    -I agree it's a very old and somewhat underpowered card.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

Ok thanks guys!! What card do you recommend I upgrade to?
    edited October 2014
    EVGA 01G-P4-2751-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

12% Increased Fan Size + G-SYNC Ready

512 CUDA Cores
    1GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    PCI Express 3.0

how about this one?

or this one?

GIGABYTE GV-N750OC-1GI G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

Dual HDMI output supporting 4096 x 2160 @ 60Hz

512 CUDA Cores
    1GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    PCI Express 3.0
  • Shazzyriko555Shazzyriko555 Posts: 1 New Member
    Please everyone, can someone help me. I just bought the Sims 4 yesterday on Origin yesterday and I tried loading the game but it has just been giving a blank loading page till now. Please does anyone know what I can do for it to finally come up
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Please everyone, can someone help me. I just bought the Sims 4 yesterday on Origin yesterday and I tried loading the game but it has just been giving a blank loading page till now. Please does anyone know what I can do for it to finally come up

It's possible that you're trying to play the game on a computer that doesn't support it. Look up your your DxDiag info, export it to a text file, and copy and paste it all here. It will take multiple posts, but that's okay. Here's how: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13329932/#Comment_13329932
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member

Hello @Shazzyriko555

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try switching back to 32 bit mode and see if that helps. To do that ,
    Go to My Games in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture.
    Click on “Game Properties”
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”

If you are playing on a laptop with a dedicated graphics card, do what is in this thread.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/863606/laptop-users-update-your-card-assignment-for-64bit#latest

If after doing the above things the issue still continues, could you please post your DxDiag info here. It will take multiple posts.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    Then copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to here in this thread.

• littlehelplittlehelp Posts: 29 Member
    im having problems with the game going slow on sims 4 and 3 because in sims 4 it goes slow and sims 3 it glitches a lot and is also going slow. if you know how to stop the glitching and crashing can you please contact me
    is it possible that the custom content could be doing this?????
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    littlehelp wrote: »
    welcome @littlehelp yes its possible CC can be too taxing if your computer is under equipped for gaming. a quick test just pull out your mods folder and test a new game.

you could also post your specs and i can assess - processor, ram amount and video card or post full report:

to post hit windows key + R enter dxdiag run report hit save all info and notepad doc will open copy/paste the whole long report here, thanks!

edited April 2016

Hello @littlehelp .
    Move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and test to see if that helps the issues.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" and "ReticulatedSplinesView" files and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated files/ folders with the old files/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder .

Try switching back to 32 bit mode and see if that helps.
    Right click on The Sims 4 tile in Origin.
    Select “Game Properties”
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”

If after doing the above things the issue still continues, could you please post your DxDiag info here. It will take multiple posts.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do what is in this link post
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14651113/#Comment_14651113

thank you Rosemow that helped i reset the game folder and all the glitching and crashing stopped. its been glitching since i got it so thank you
    friend me if you want to I'm Littlehelp on sims 4 and 3
    thank you Rosemow that helped i reset the game folder and all the glitching and crashing stopped. its been glitching since i got it so thank you

You're welcome :) I am glad that it helped.
    is it possible to have two sims 4 games on one computer because my brother also wants the game and we only have one computer
    edited April 2016
    is it possible to have two sims 4 games on one computer because my brother also wants the game and we only have one computer

Hello.
    You and your brother can share the same origin account, but have separate save games. Have your brother log in to your origin account. Launch the game. Have him start a new game, then after playing for a little while have him save the game and give a name to the game. Then when each of you log on and launch the game, go to the load button in the top right hand side of the screen, ( the one with the floppy disk) and press the button. Then click on your own save game name to launch your own save game.

This link may help

ts4-loading-screen.png
    ok thank you for helping me