Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Boy babies

Is anyone else having a problem with ONLY being able to have boy babies?

I have made so many couples because I thought my families were bugged and each one has had 3 sets of twins (lifetime wish to raise 5 children to teenagers plus fertility reward to make it quicker!)

I estimate I've had around 30 babies so far and every single one of them has been a boy.

Now I like boys, but sheesh!

I even tried eating watermelon all through a pregnancy as another thread suggested she did this and had all girls, but poof, 2 more boys.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• Options
    MinouChanMinouChan Posts: 1,352 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Try eating only 3 watermelon. No more, no less. Always works for me.
  • Options
    NatsNats Posts: 488 New Member
    edited June 2009
    it varies.
    my sim families tend to have ALL girls or ALL boys.
    I've only ever had one family who's had a mix (first child was a girl, the other three boys)
  • Options
    KattieKattie Posts: 184 Member
    edited June 2009
    When i was having that problem, i made my sim only eat 3 watermelons and that worked.
  • Options
    Gouka989Gouka989 Posts: 976 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Yep, 3 apples = Boy, 3 watermelon = girl. And it works great, unless you want to be surprised. The sad thing is though that the game seems to get stuck just giving you the same *** child again and again. :(

Edit: Oh brother. Ok, the same type of child, how's that? Stupid censor. :P
  • Options
    KateybearKateybear Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Thanks guys :)

REALLY helpful information. I'm off to give it a go!
  • Options
    dallasdallas Posts: 282 New Member
    edited June 2009
    James and Tamara had a baby boy named Adam, then a girl named Celeste in my game. So far, all the births (that I've had control over, anyway) have been pretty equal :P.

It sounds like you have a glitch ... or your game is just really unlucky? :?
  • Options
    GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited June 2009
    My town's been popping out more girls than boys recently do to story progression.
  • Options
    arosebeearosebee Posts: 1 New Member
    I have experienced the same problem. I've had four different families and it has totaled to 15 boy babies and 1 girl baby ( 1 girl baby only in my second family where the guy had three girlfriends which were each pregnant for gender experiment to see if it was a glitch). I will have to try the 3 watermelon trick with my other families. Enough boys already! There will be no girl friends for them!
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I have had this in my current game for a few months now, I've moved the whole town's population to a few different worlds during this time.

I thought it was because I had way too many females in town as compared to males. But it was getting to the state where a whole generation was going to be male only.

I discovered having my Sim mother eat watermelons has no effect on solving my particular problem. I tried that first and still had boys.

My solution was to use NRAAS Master Controller to give an instant baby to a few of my Sims. That lets me pick the gender of the baby and I tend to choose girls. Therefore, my game now has a balance of boys and girls.

If I want a girl I give them an instant baby, if I am happy for them to have a boy then I let them try for baby. I get a girl and a boy as predicted every time this way.
  • Options
    vebbra99vebbra99 Posts: 93 Member
    Opposite problem on me. All girls for YEARS. My awesome legacy (that are completed now, but lasted for two real years) started out with six girls. One single, a set of twins and a set of tripplets. Only one of them got pregnant and had a girl. She had two girls and they both had a girl each. One of them moved to Bridgeport, and had two girls and one BOY. I thought Bridgeport had fixed the problem, but next one was a girl and so on.

After getting a new computer I started getting 60% boys. Now I'm playing on the computer where my legacy was. So far I've only had one baby, and the 3 apples trick allowed me to have a boy.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I was under the impression that the all boys or all girls thing was a game bug that was fixed by a patch many years ago (note how old this thread is, originally). Perhaps a couple of you are not patched all the way up?

Not sure where the "3 and only 3" was coming from on the apples/watermelon trick. As I understand it, you get a 20% increased chance of boy/girl with each fruit up through 5. More than that doesn't hurt (and fruit is healthy anyway), but doesn't harm the chance increases either. To be effective, the fruit has be consumed by the middle of the 2nd trimester, so that would be the middle of the 2nd day of a 3-day pregnancy. Also note that this and other gender tricks can only affect the first born of a multiple birth -- twins, trips, quads if you have a mod that allows for them.

For those using NRaas StoryProgression, there are options available to influence the genders of newborns townwide. Balanced (the default) works hard to preserve a 50/50 balance of males/females in town. Random is truly random, but using that one a town actually can get 15 boys in a row in much the same way as you can toss a coin and get "heads" 15 times in a row -- possible, just not very likely. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    vebbra99vebbra99 Posts: 93 Member
    [quote="igazor;14041607"]I was under the impression that the all boys or all girls thing was a game bug that was fixed by a patch many years ago (note how old this thread is, originally). Perhaps a couple of you are not patched all the way up?

Not sure where the "3 and only 3" was coming from on the apples/watermelon trick. As I understand it, you get a 20% increased chance of boy/girl with each fruit up through 5. More than that doesn't hurt (and fruit is healthy anyway), but doesn't harm the chance increases either. To be effective, the fruit has be consumed by the middle of the 2nd trimester, so that would be the middle of the 2nd day of a 3-day pregnancy. Also note that this and other gender tricks can only affect the first born of a multiple birth -- twins, trips, quads if you have a mod that allows for them.

For those using NRaas StoryProgression, there are options available to influence the genders of newborns townwide. Balanced (the default) works hard to preserve a 50/50 balance of males/females in town. Random is truly random, but using that one a town actually can get 15 boys in a row in much the same way as you can toss a coin and get "heads" 15 times in a row -- possible, just not very likely. :) [/quote]

Are you sure that the fruit only influence the first? I normally have boy/girl twins when I get them, but when I use fruits to choose a gender, I always get twins/trips that are all boys or all girls. Plus, I love twins and trips, so I usually do the fertility treatment before pregnancies. I get a LOT of twins, and there's no exeption to this.
  • Options
    vebbra99 wrote: »
    Are you sure that the fruit only influence the first? I normally have boy/girl twins when I get them, but when I use fruits to choose a gender, I always get twins/trips that are all boys or all girls. Plus, I love twins and trips, so I usually do the fertility treatment before pregnancies. I get a LOT of twins, and there's no exeption to this.
    Positive. Well, wait. I thought I was positive. Can't really argue that heavily against a 100% no exception rate as you've described. I wonder if something else is going on, maybe in combination with the fertility treatments, that is pushing for more identical twins/trips than one might otherwise see?

My reasoning was that if mods cannot reach the unborn 2nd or 3rd in a multiple to influence their gender, which I know they cannot, then the fruit wouldn't have any impact on them either. But that could be where I'm possibly making a mistake. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I have had sims eat the fruit for a specific gender and still get mixed gender twins.
  • Options
    MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    I have done the fruit trick as well and it only influenced the first gender. My Sim's babies genders vary, but some generations I will have all girls and some might be all boys. I seldom use the fruit anymore just because I like the surprise. I was under the impression that the gender choices outside of food or mods is a 50 50 like the roll of dice. Have you tried saving right before birth and reloading? This can let you retry for a different gender, but you might have to do it a few times. (My game takes too long to load for me to be doing that, but sometimes I am very tempted.)
  • Options
    Minx wrote: »
    Have you tried saving right before birth and reloading? This can let you retry for a different gender, but you might have to do it a few times. (My game takes too long to load for me to be doing that, but sometimes I am very tempted.)
    But that would be cheating. :p

But seriously, if you really did want a baby of a different gender than the one you got and were prepared to keep re-loading the game to get what you wanted anyway, even without mods could you not use testingcheats to bring the baby into CAS and change its gender from there? Seems like that might be simpler.

Or does testingcheats CAS without MasterController Integration present not let you do that?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited August 2015
    igazor wrote: »
    To be effective, the fruit has be consumed by the middle of the 2nd trimester, so that would be the middle of the 2nd day of a 3-day pregnancy.

That's interesting. I've heard that the timing of the fruit doesn't matter, and conversely I've heard that the fruit must be consumed before the change to maternity clothing. That last advice surprised me because sims don't get a wish for a certain gender until the change to maternity wear (at least in my game) and I though it odd (or very EA) to give players a wish to achieve and an ineffective mechanic to achieve it. But now you are saying there's basically a 12 hour window to eat 5 fruit to try and achieve a wish for a certain gender. At least that's something.
    My reasoning was that if mods cannot reach the unborn 2nd or 3rd in a multiple to influence their gender, which I know they cannot, then the fruit wouldn't have any impact on them either.

I don't doubt that's true, but I read the description of MC>Basic>Baby>Gender Offset on the MasterController Interaction page to state the opposite. Perhaps that description should be clarified, or maybe I'm totally misunderstanding what it's saying.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    To be effective, the fruit has be consumed by the middle of the 2nd trimester, so that would be the middle of the 2nd day of a 3-day pregnancy.

That's interesting. I've heard that the timing of the fruit doesn't matter, and conversely I've heard that the fruit must be consumed before the change to maternity clothing. That last advice surprised me because sims don't get a wish for a certain gender until the change to maternity wear (at least in my game) and I though it odd (or very EA) to give players a wish to achieve and an ineffective mechanic to achieve it. But now you are saying there's basically a 12 hour window to eat 5 fruit to try and achieve a wish for a certain gender. At least that's something.
    Oh, I'll accept it if I feel like it but usually never pay much attention to the parents' gender wishes unless they happen to match what my wish for them is.

The window I'm assuming is viable is from a very lengthy study done by some players and reported on Carl's site a long time ago that I'm a bit too tired to look for right now. I don't have any inside information from the mod developers on that one, but it did match my experiences right on. That said, I usually don't make them eat all 5 fruits anyway just to leave some element of uncertainty in play.
    My reasoning was that if mods cannot reach the unborn 2nd or 3rd in a multiple to influence their gender, which I know they cannot, then the fruit wouldn't have any impact on them either.
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    I don't doubt that's true, but I read the description of MC>Basic>Baby>Gender Offset on the MasterController Interaction page to state the opposite. Perhaps that description should be clarified, or maybe I'm totally misunderstanding what it's saying.
    Glad you pointed that out, I now have no idea what that command is supposed to do. There may simply be a word like "not" missing from its description.

Over the years, I've watched Twallan, Chain, and a couple of others in between explain to players who wanted to set up exclusively single-gender worlds and keep them that way ongoing that it is not possible to control the gender of the 2nd and beyond babies in a multiple birth without stopping and doing so manually each time one is born. But maybe they meant inactives; usually we don't go around trying to force-feed fruit to pregnant sims we aren't playing. I don't believe that command ever got mentioned and actually forgot it was there. I'll have to bring it up at the next meeting. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I didn't think about it, but yes, there could easily be a difference between inactives and actives. I just assumed that description was referring to actives. That's my own bias, I generally don't care what happens to inactives.
  • Options
    CMxCatCMxCat Posts: 22 Member
    The sims automatically has the gender balance in the game set to 'balanced'. that means there will always be an equal amount of females and males in the game. So, if the townsfolk are generally female, then male babies will be generated. I found that once my famliy had ten children, 9 boys and one girl, and the next generation had 9 girls and one boy.

Thats why I downloaded Nraas Story Progression mod. Its very complicated but it lets you set the gender balance to random, which imo, is much better.