This site will go into read-only mode on July 18th as the new Forums.EA.com are now live.

How Much Does It Matter to You That Babies Are Tied to the Bassinet?

1234568...Next

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    qrlcode wrote: »
    It really doesn't bother me. It's certainly better than them being left all over the house.
    That's not an argument because they clearly found a way to avoid that in the predecessor. They just choose the easy way out this time.

They already said somewhere in this forums why the babies were tied to the bassinet.

More than that, they affirmed they had the tech to improve the animations so that sims don't have to put them in the bassinet between some interactions.

Edit: It's funny that people disagree with my post even though it's actually true, a Guru commented on this, but I don't know which.
    So why are the babies tied to the bassinet and why don't they use that tech to improve it?

Hi @JoAnne65, here is a quote from back around release from a guru explaining a little about the babies.

SimGuruMax wrote: »
    agent_bev wrote: »
    Thank you for taking the time to humor us. I have a few questions:

Is it technically feasible to make babies real again? I use the word "real" because I cannot think of a better word to describe it right now, I just mean having babies needs be visible, allowing babies and older sims to build some kind of relationship, having babies that are not tied to the crib, etc.

Also, will it be possible for lot sizes to be bigger or are they 50x50 at the maximum because of engine limitations?

Finally, I know one of the gurus mentioned that it is not technically possible to have CASt in the game, but would it be possible to have an external tool where you could re-color and re-texture all the objects and clothing in game, and then upload it to the game?

I can say somewhat unequivocally that it is technically feasible to make babies "real" again, as you describe it. As for prioritization, that is really up to our production team. Babies not being tied to the crib is going to be a sticking-point, though. That decision was made for many reasons, not just time-constraints. We felt dissatisfied with babies in TS3 and were looking for ways to get more good things without having all the crazy complexity. One of the most complicated aspects of babies is that Sims could carry them around - babies aren't just another carryable: they cannot be holstered (Sims can magically disappear items in their hands temporarily to play animations that need the hand) due to believability issues and there end up being a huge number of weird rules about them not being able to be placed in different locations, etc, etc, etc. Carryable babies were such a huge headache on TS3 and we had to ask the question "Is it worth it?" I know everyone wants perfect, realistic babies, but the reality of making games is you often have to make choices because you are working with constraints on all sides. Complexity is our enemy when building The Sims, so we look for any opportunity to keep it down. Ultimately, we thought we would rather spend our time making the actual baby interactions fun and interesting and have more time for people like me to spend devoted to our new socialization system and multitasking - it would have occupied my time entirely for many months to build carryable babies. Keep in mind that everything is effectively zero-sum; adding complexity in one place necessitates reducing complexity in another as we don't have infinite resources.

One thing about babies I am displeased with is the fact that your Sims put them back down in-between actions. We have tech to solve this problem and somehow it just didn't end up happening. I would very much hope that we address that problem in the not-too-distant-future.
    Thanks. Yes, I in fact remember reading that now, and also understanding what he's saying. I really like it when they take the effort to explain things btw and admit shortcomings, it puts things in perspective. Bachelor's wives and maiden's children are well trained as they say, I do realize we can fantasize and demand all we like, they are the ones who have to make it possible and make the choices and it isn't an easy job. I really like Sims 2 baby's and I like Sims 3 behaviour towards baby's (the way they automatically take care of them), but if it's really that hard to combine those two so be it. I must say I'm bothered about the interruptions more than about them being tied to the bassinet, so I really hope they'll find a way to fix that.
    (and I wish they'd look more cute instead of creepy but that's another matter... :s )
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    qrlcode wrote: »
    It really doesn't bother me. It's certainly better than them being left all over the house.
    That's not an argument because they clearly found a way to avoid that in the predecessor. They just choose the easy way out this time.

I read somewhere that due to multitasking they turned the baby into a bassinet with a doll inside, but this argument is not convincing me. They could have easily disabled multitasking when a sim holds a baby. An example is fishing. Multitasking is disabled when a sim fishing so why not when holding a baby?
    Ah, maybe that's what @Sigzy05 meant? And yes good point, I don't get that either.
    Is it just my screen btw or... what's the matter with your disagree button :o:D

Zagadoo1_zps7gmu3xju.png

It is changed to all
    Haha yes, but it wasn't at that moment :D Not on my screen anyway so I was a bit confused there;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    plenilunesplenilunes Posts: 296 Member
    I think it bothers most of us that the baby is treated like an object.
    Not any object but a vanishing object, when no one is home it disappears automatically and when someone arrives home it comes back.
    TS4 babies are teleporting objects. No care was given to them when they were developed. they are tied to the bassinet. Actually the baby is the bassinet itself and not the doll inside it. You click and interact with the bassinet.

It is too frustrating that my sim cannot hold its baby and move around the house.

While I'm not really bothered that the baby is stuck to the bassinet (to me I can separate the two- it doesn't bother me that I have to click the bassinet rather than the baby), I AM really bothered that it just disappears when everyone leaves the house. I mean, daycare? I really liked nannies... I wouldn't mind a day care service if we could pay for it and actually take the child with the parent.
  • Options
    geekchic96geekchic96 Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2015
    plenilunes wrote: »
    I think it bothers most of us that the baby is treated like an object.
    Not any object but a vanishing object, when no one is home it disappears automatically and when someone arrives home it comes back.
    TS4 babies are teleporting objects. No care was given to them when they were developed. they are tied to the bassinet. Actually the baby is the bassinet itself and not the doll inside it. You click and interact with the bassinet.

It is too frustrating that my sim cannot hold its baby and move around the house.

While I'm not really bothered that the baby is stuck to the bassinet (to me I can separate the two- it doesn't bother me that I have to click the bassinet rather than the baby), I AM really bothered that it just disappears when everyone leaves the house. I mean, daycare? I really liked nannies... I wouldn't mind a day care service if we could pay for it and actually take the child with the parent.

It's really weird that they disappear considering that there is a nanny and babysitting job in game for teens. :|
  • Options
    chidoriaidachidoriaida Posts: 282 Member
    It does bother me a lot, especially when I'm playing in a big house. It takes an hour to walk from one place to where the baby is. I also hate the fact that babies in TS4 are treated like an object. I wish I can love them, but I just can't. I really miss how they were in TS2.
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    It was bad enough when TS3 gave us those burrito babies, but at least we could move them around the house. I remember so many people begging EA to get rid of burrito babies and give us babies like TS2. And what do they do? Give us babies that are even more restricted and lifeless than the TS3 babies. EA is the only company I know of that takes things from bad to worse.
  • Options
    AnarayneAnarayne Posts: 47 Member
    > @Astro said:
    > It bothers me more that they can be found in buy mode.

Totally agree!
  • Options
    WeathieWeathie Posts: 486 Member
    kirby356 wrote: »
    It was bad enough when TS3 gave us those burrito babies, but at least we could move them around the house. I remember so many people begging EA to get rid of burrito babies and give us babies like TS2. And what do they do? Give us babies that are even more restricted and lifeless than the TS3 babies. EA is the only company I know of that takes things from bad to worse.

This ^^
    It bothers me a lot. I feel a total disconnection from not just the babies, but the children themselves in this game.
    untitled-1.png

• Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    kirby356 wrote: »

But babies have legs now! :smiley::expressionless:

I just don't get it. I mean, I recall people asking for babies like or better than the ones in The Sims 2. We didn't just want legs, and we still wanted the same if not better mobility with babies.

I honestly can't comprehend how they couldn't comprehend a lot of things about what the fans wanted for The Sims 4. What made them think a majority of simmers wanted Olympus? What made them think that would sell to most of us? People in the forums provided detailed examples of what would be cool and other simmers would add to that and make it even better. You can't get much detailed explanation from social media, especially twitter. If the Sims 4 (Base, EPs, and SPs) was anything like the visions of majority of the fans on the official forums, I would've bought that in a heartbeat!

Then again, I keep reading things stating how this is their vision; hence, not ours.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2015
    DarkMirage wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Babies ? What babies? No point in babies, seeing there is no point in toddler, children or teens. In fact no point in families in fake Sims 4. So just shut off aging and we will just have the game Maxis wanted us to have to start with. But no babies in my Sims 4 game and not an issue in the real Sims games - Sims 3 and 2 - no babies tied to cribs, I have toddlers, realistic cemeteries - aging and families matter. They even have plenty of family like things to do. Children actually play instead of chatting. Just treat Sims 4 like a 2015 version of medieval - that's what it is like anyway. It's too far removed from actually being a 4th rendition of The Sims anyway, so don't let anything about it surprise you or disappoint you. Expect it instead and that way you have less chance to be disappointed. Think how happy you will be when the game actually has a real simmie type behavior or actiion you recognize. I have really given up trying to convince myself this is part of the Sims series. It's just a stand alone with eps, sps and gps. LOL.

Hey Reg! I agree with you. Maxis should have just stuck with Olympus and left the game online if they were going to go this route anyway. I gave up on TS4 months ago and I haven't looked back. I'm waiting for Fallout 4 this fall.

Yep, Fallout 4 listed on my Steam account wish list- see that - Me with a steam account. LOL. Can you believe it? - me, who swore I would never join steam - went and joined and actually bought a game through Steam - a Square Ennix game because of Sims 4. Not only did they (Maxis) push this staunch and buy everything 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Sims fan over the edge with Sims 4 - they can thank their Sims 4 for making me join Steam instead of spending my dollars on Sims 4. Yep - went and done it during the E4 - which I also spent much time watching all the new games coming out to try and find something else I could play. Watching trailers help me see if the game gives me the motion sickness. So desperate to play something worth playing and spending money on - I even bought an early release. I may rethink doing that again - though - lol, as now I am sitting here waiting for the next episode in the game. LOL.

Yep thanks to Sims 4 - I found out steam is not the Ogre under the bridge it used to be, and I am now a fan. So Sims 4 had some little positive affect. LOL. Yes, I have November 10th clearly marked on my calendar for Fallout 4. This coming from a person who never got much into war games - I am actually looking forward to Fallout 4. I have never played any of the Fallout games - but that is about to change. LOL Thank you Sims 4 for showing me the light. That's about the only thing I can thank Sims 4 for.

Nice seeing you DM, by the way. Hope you are well. Just wanted to add - you were so very wise about Sims 4 - and knew what I was so blind to - I was so much a Sims fan I could not see the truth like you did - right out of the gate. Well no more am I a diehard Sims fan, and I have my senses back and can see the wolf in it's sheeps clothing for what it really is. NO two ways about it - Sims 4 rots and I was a fool to think it didn't.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    DarkMirageDarkMirage Posts: 5,998 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Nice seeing you DM, by the way. Hope you are well. Just wanted to add - you were so very wise about Sims 4 - and knew what I was so blind to - I was so much a Sims fan I could not see the truth like you did - right out of the gate. Well no more am I a diehard Sims fan, and I have my senses back and can see the wolf in it's sheep's clothing for what it really is. NO two ways about it - Sims 4 rots and I was a fool to think it didn't.

Doing well, thanks. I hope you are too. I take no pleasure in being right about TS4 believe me. As much as I did complain about TS3 being shallow it now seems like the greatest game ever compared to its successor. I am glad you found some games you like on Steam.