Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• bouquetcatcherbouquetcatcher Posts: 1,355 Member
    @countrykris1play I KNEW I forgot something! LOL. Thank you! I'll take those this afternoon and get them added. I'm already revamping it of course for a "no budget" build so I'll have to plop this version back down for shots. Silly me.
    16975504789_dfde933ce1_o.jpg
  • countrykris1playcountrykris1play Posts: 155 Member
    edited April 2015
    I have made 5 builds so far but I have not been fully happy with any, keep running out of money for all the things I want in the build. On to build 6 this will have to be it no matter what, or I wont have time to get pictures taken and submit it.
    edited April 2015
    Okie doke, pics taken and added to slideshow! I LOVE being able to bulldoze a lot and plop down one from the gallery so easily, even with sims in the way!

Also, if anyone is interested, I've uploaded my "upgraded" version. It's fully decorated, landscaped, etc. I *may* have gone a little overboard on the gardens :).

16538530944_b05b7ff032_c.jpg

Pics here
    Post edited by bouquetcatcher on
    I've updated my entry with Sims Henry and Evangeline. :)
    edited April 2015
    Is it just me or does it seam like all the challenges are low on budget amount given?
    Post edited by countrykris1play on
    edited April 2015
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #: 16
    FORUM ID: countrykris1play
    ORIGIN ID: LotusCo
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: Edelweiss
    LOT COST: 2,000
    BUILD COST: 32,999
    TOTAL COST: 34,999
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Media
    ENTRY DETAILS: Edelweiss A-Frame Tudor Home has 2 bedrooms, 1 full bath and 1 half bath. This unbelievably charming cottage is loaded with style and extra amenities. An fireplace is a stunning focal point for all rooms on the first floor while providing warmth. A multitude of windows illuminates the first floor from just about all walls.
    01_zpsop3vnj6k.png

SIM: N/A
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS: N/A

ROOM: N/A
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS: N/A

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: N/A
    CHEATS USED: bb.moveobjects, bb.showhiddenobjects
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    And with that Challenge #16 is now closed! Keep a look out for the next challenge, it will be up later today.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited April 2015
    Challenge #17 - A Grand Place of Learning

As you step into the office, you notice a large bouquet on Rose’s desk. You also see Rose’s expression, a kind of dread mixed with awe.
    “All OK Rose?”
    “These flowers were just delivered, for me apparently, but there is no note. I have a horrible feeling I know only one person who would make such an over the top gesture…”
    You smile to yourself, as you know full well who sent the flowers but have been sworn to secrecy.
    “Were there any messages while I was out showing Henry and Evangeline around?”
    “Kaye Johnson called to invite you round for a meal, between you and me, I think she might have something to tell you, she sounded ever so disappointed that you weren’t here.”
    “Bless, I haven’t seen her much recently, we’ve both been busy, what with her and those little munchkins and me with this place.” Rose nods knowingly.
    “Well, off you go into your office and I’ll make you a nice cup of tea.”

Inspecting the mammoth creamy coloured bevy of gloriously scented lilies, roses, germinis, lisianthus and spray chrysanthemums, your mind drifts back to the voicemail you received a couple of days ago. Wandering back into your office, you replay the message over in your mind.

“Well, hello there my dear!” Is how the message started, in such a heavily accented southern drawl, that you immediately knew who the caller was.
    “I am immensely sorry that I am not in the country to avail your services personally. But I am on a dig you see, out in Egypt at the moment. No, I can’t do that right now, can’t you see I’m on the ‘phone? Sorry about that, now, what was I saying? Ah yes, the reason for my call, I want you to build Willow Creek a new public library. A grand place of learning. It shall, of course, have to be named after myself in some way or other, but I’ll leave the details for you to figure out, I know I’ll just love anything you can come up with. Ah, wait, now there was one other thing, wasn’t there?.” You hear a muffling of the handset as it is obvious he is trying to continue another conversation with someone close by. “Of course, the money! How could I forget the money?! Let’s give you a budget of $150,000, and please replace the original structure and place it on the same lot. Ok then, that should be all. Any questions, feel free to email me at douglascurtisthethird@gmail.com. Oh, and I hope Rose appreciates the little gift I sent her! Please don’t let on that they are from me, or I might have to rethink the commission.” You heard a playful tone in his voice at the end there, but still, you can’t be too careful and the last thing you want to do is upset a client like Douglas Curtis The Third.

Rose knocks on the door and brings you a steaming hot cup of tea with a shortbread biscuit on the saucer. You suddenly feel very guilty at keeping the secret from her.

“So, what’s on the agenda?” She asks.

“Well, I had a voicemail from the one and only Douglas Curtis The Third a couple of days ago.” You wink at her and her mouth forms a perfect ‘O’.

“He has apparently bought the Willow Creek Library and wishes it to be replaced with something a little more grand.”

Rose still has not uttered a word. She backs out of your office and you stifle a giggle.

The Brief:

☆ You will need to demolish and build on the same site as the Willow Creek Research Library.
    ☆ You have a budget of $150,000 Total Cost (including the base lot cost which is $4,000).
    ☆ It has to look grand, we have no more information than that.
    ☆ You will need to include a computer area, seating area, reference area, children’s area and public facilities (toilets).
    ☆ There must also be a space to sit and read outside.
    ☆ It needs to be named after its benefactor in some way.

On a side note, you may use basements if you wish.

Room Challenge:
    The Reference Library. Please design a reference area for the library, no larger than 10x7, it must include bookshelves, desks. A place to do some serious learning. Your budget for this is $15,000.

Sim Challenge:
    We want to see who will frequent the new library, will they be bums just looking for a place to sit down, or serious scholars? Please provide us with 3 sims, complete with back stories. You have complete creative freedom for their traits and aspirations.

Your deadline for this challenge is Wednesday 29th April, Midnight CMT

Use #Buildnshare and/or #BuildnShare17 for your uploads.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • misscbongmisscbong Posts: 736 Member
    Such a great challenge! I wanted to make a new library, so this is perfect!
  • kezflakekezflake Posts: 124 Member
    @countrykris1play I find myself building and rebuilding. I almost made a last minute entry for the last challenge but it wasn't until the 3rd or 4th attempt I got the exterior right and by then there was about 40 min until deadline.

Your lot is very nice, you do so well getting such neat lines & curves with the terrain paint, love the kitchen too.
    @kezflake Thank you. :smiley: It dose take me a bit of time to do the train paint. I'm not much for the landscaping part as is lol. I'd rather just use all the budget on the interior.
    edited April 2015
    Doug has asked me to remind you all that he is available for questions via any of the following methods:

Facebook
    Twitter
    Google+
    Email: douglascurtisthethird@gmail.com
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @kezflake Thank you. :smiley: It dose take me a bit of time to do the train paint. I'm not much for the landscaping part as is lol. I'd rather just use all the budget on the interior.

I know just how you feel @countrykris1play, I am not as keen on landscaping as I am in interior design, but it's all part of the learning process right?

GArBA5W.jpg
  • folalafolala Posts: 307 Member
    Thanks @Nhicks & @Issabella14 ! Your cottages (& everyone else too) were beautiful so I can't wait to see what everyone does for the library. I think I'll find it challenging to get a 'Grand' looking building for the size of the plot - should be fun trying anyway!
    edited April 2015
    Doug has asked me to remind you all that he is available for questions via any of the following methods:

Facebook
    Twitter
    Google+
    Email: douglascurtisthethird@gmail.com

So are we to only ask questions there instead of here?
    @countrykris1play - no, feel free to ask questions here as well, just remember that Doug is available on those channels as well!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Liziann1Liziann1 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited April 2015
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #: 17
    FORUM ID: Liziann1
    ORIGIN ID:DizziSquirrel
    LOT: Curtis Creek Library
    LOT COST: $4000
    BUILD COST: $140.271
    TOTAL COST: $144.271
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://s141.photobucket.com/user/dizzisquirrel/slideshow/17 Build N Share
    LINK TO GALLERY http://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/CA82FF9CEDF411E480EB74782C4318E8?category=lots&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=weekly&searchquery=dizzisquirrel&max=25

ENTRY DETAILS: Douglas Curtis the Third, will not be disappointed with Willow Creek's new Library, his generous budget has gone far, the building structure is bold, yet fresh, with clean lines the interior is calm and comfortable, with plenty of books for the residents to enjoy, time and time again, the new library has an understated luxury that is irresistible to the young and the old, who visit, to read, play chess or study.

SIM: NA
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED if entering - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by or N/A if not entering)
    ENTRY DETAILS:

ROOM:NA
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED if entering - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by or N/A if not entering)
    ENTRY DETAILS:

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: Debug, Moo and Unlocks used.

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    04-28-15_11-03nbspPM.png

edited to add a picture!
    Post edited by Liziann1 on
    Check out My showcase thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/853211/dizzisquirrels-showcase#latest]
    or look for me in the Gallery
    aka DizziSquirrel

edited April 2015
    @gmcrozier I meant to ask you, where did you get the plunger? For challenge #13 http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/Glenn_Crozier/slideshow/Suburban Cottage

You listed the build as having no CC. I look at every object in game with debug and unlock on and never found it. I did do a search for plunger but the one it showed was in the ground and when I moved it up using the moveobjects and Ctr + 9 it looked nothing like the one in your build.
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    @countrykris1play search for toolPlungerGEN_01 with buy debug activated
  • Zita1966zZita1966z Posts: 9,641 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

CHALLENGE #: 17 A Grand Place of Learning

FORUM ID: Zita1966
    ORIGIN ID:ReneVeronicaZita
    LOT NAME: DC FOUNDERS LIBRARY
    LOT COST: $4000.00
    BUILD COST: $114193.00
    TOTAL COST: $118193.00
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/gallery/Kmo5f
    LINK TO GALLERY: http://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/9D7FC38FE55811E481F155E4B4723409

ENTRY DETAILS:

Mr Curtis was firm when negotiating with the architects: Modern, sleek, eye catching but welcoming, compact yet spacious and enough room for kids to play, read and paint. It would also be nice if they could have a bronze statue made of him since he was the founder and financial contributor lol

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Always welcome
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: Moo

Picture:

zBeCNFy.png

@ReneVeronicaZIta WOW !!!

I think I should change my entry to beginner! your Library is amazing! Well Done x
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/853211/dizzisquirrels-showcase#latest]
    aka DizziSquirrel

• Zita1966zZita1966z Posts: 9,641 Member
    @Liziann1 Thank you dear Liz, but you need not 2 change anything - your builds are always top notch <3 Have a great weekend Liz
    edited April 2015
    gmcrozier wrote: »
    @countrykris1play search for toolPlungerGEN_01 with buy debug activated

Cool thank you I found it. How did you know it was there? is there a list of other hidden objects that can only be found by using the Search?

Edit: Never mind lol I just found a way, and the plunger was there to. If you just search Debug then there is a load of stuff.
  • kezflakekezflake Posts: 124 Member
    Some great builds already submitted for this challenge, both with such a different, more modern, take on the brief than I expected but certainly quite grand! @Liziann1 I like how your library looks so different from all angles and the landscaping makes it look like a lovely peaceful place to learn @ReneVeronicaZIta what a creative way to exploit what I always thought of as a bug in the roofing tool and then make it totally work to your benefit.
    Thank you @kezflake x
    aka DizziSquirrel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top