Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is >anybody< actually satisfied with no toddlers?

Comments

• LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    I really miss toddlers, they were so much fun in TS2 and they were okay in TS3. I can understand why people don't like toddlers when they come from TS3 .. But TS2 toddlers were the best <3
  • NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member
    AlmaMM wrote: »
    So I've seen all the amounts of people who complain about not having toddlers in TS4 but according to what EA says, they did it because toddlers had the least game time (or something like that, I'm not sure if I remember correctly), so I wonder, is anybody here that is glad that the toddler lifestage is skipped over?

I don't need toddlers. If I had to buy an expansion pack to get them, I would save my money. I don't like toddlers. I am not that fond of children, either. In Second Life, there are no avatars under the age of 21 in my game, and in The Sims, there are no Sims under the age of teen. So yes, I am very happy to play without unnecessary life stages. And before everyone goes off on me: Yes, I am a family/generational player.
    This I do for the fun of it.
    • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
    • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
    • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Naydi wrote: »
    So I've seen all the amounts of people who complain about not having toddlers in TS4 but according to what EA says, they did it because toddlers had the least game time (or something like that, I'm not sure if I remember correctly), so I wonder, is anybody here that is glad that the toddler lifestage is skipped over?

I don't need toddlers. If I had to buy an expansion pack to get them, I would save my money. I don't like toddlers. I am not that fond of children, either. In Second Life, there are no avatars under the age of 21 in my game, and in The Sims, there are no Sims under the age of teen. So yes, I am very happy to play without unnecessary life stages. And before everyone goes off on me: Yes, I am a family/generational player.

I see the Sims as a life simulation, and to me all the life stages are necessary, even if I don't like a certain life stage. I don't feel like I'm playing with life, and my style of play if I can't have a complete population.

But I'm surprised, I didn't know there was more than 1 type of family play :o
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

How do you do that? By cloning your sims?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    No - but that isn't all that is wrong as far as I am concerned. I'm still waiting for the patch to fix the things the last patch broke. And then there are other issues with the game that I won't go into here.
  • JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member

While I don't agree because I do want toddlers back, no one should go off on you. That's your opinion and feelings on the matter and I support your right to say so. BTW, you said it very nicely.

Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited January 2015
    Here is a theory about that statistics:
    1. Young people are used to share literally everything on the internet (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp and on and on). So they are probably online with the game all the time.
    2. Young Simmers probably focus more on the romantic aspects and on parties.

3. Older people care more for their privacy and protection of their personal data. So they prefer to stay offline with their game.
    4. I guess the majority of the family players are older (30+).

So taking these points into account could explain the result of that statistics.
    This space is for rent.
  • SugarRaveSugarRave Posts: 2,552 Member
    I miss them but there are other features I miss more. For example: we make a huge deal about pools but not a peep about basements? :|
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    1. Young people are used to share literally everything on the internet (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp and on and on). So they are probably online with the game all the time.

3. Older people care more for their privacy and protection of their personal data. So they prefer to stay offline with their game.

So taking these points into account could explain the result of that statistics.
    I'm actually under 30, but I've been playing the Sims games since I was 12. So guess I fall into the minority, yay! Family just has always been a huge part of my life. I'm helping raise both my nephews and I have a lot of cousins in three countries. I think EA is trying to cater to the 13-18 year old crowd, but funny thing is the incest glitch is still around and game got passed with the teen ESRB rating. But I don't know. Every Simmer was a toddler at one time of their lives. I have no idea which direction the Sims 4 is heading towards, but even the romance and party and social aspects of the game are lacking compared to the previous games. It's like EA wants us to play in one Sim per household for some odd reason. I just don't understand EA or why they want to limit to just one play style. If they really want to make money, they would open up their target market a bit wider. But it's up to EA what they decide with family play or not.

Regarding the statistics, I think EA took the lazy approach which I've seen done on another site before. I'm actually curious if they used this same method for their decision on open vs. closed worlds as well and for other features of the game.

“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • zombii3zombii3 Posts: 388 Member
    I loved Todders the most I think. Without Toddlers this does not feel like a life simulator. I loved seeing my sims carrying around the little toddler, it felt real more real. Where as now I don't have that important life chance to teach the children the basics of life. I want that chance to teach my child how to walk, how to talk, potty train them, teach them how to read.. Idk how EA could think that's okay to take away from us.

I think what made EA think that was because so many people just aged them up because they didn't want to deal with the actually teaching them life stuff..like walking, talking, pottying..ya know..the basics of life..in a life simulator-- I'll stop there.
  • FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    Toddlers are not top of my list of what is missing from the game, but they were hugely cute and endearing and I certainly do miss them. They made the life stages feel complete and their absence leaves a big gap.
  • blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member

I'm barely under 30 but I can still shake a stick at young whipper snappers!!

But in all truth, even if they did have some kind of data, it's the interpretation. Even people who say they immediately aged up toddlers often say that they wanted more interesting toddlers, not for them to be removed. There is a huge psychological element at play here, obviously, given the strength of the reaction. People have feelings about their Sims and their Sim families, and had an emotional connection to a more linear life development ... I really can't justify, even with this supposed statistic, how EA didn't figure this out. Then again, this dev team seems to be clueless about a lot of things.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2015

I'm old and 3 and 4 absolutely goes for me. But the romantic aspects play a huge part as well. When I started playing Sims it was all about having families and getting children, but that changed after ten generations. Then it became 'the game of love' and the focus changed to the YA life stage for me (because there is so much to do for that life stage in the game, which I love as well).
    I always play offline.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    I can't say that I'm glad, but I was surprised to discover that I do not actually miss them. If they introduce them in future, that'll be great, but if not, I'm having fun without them.
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    > @colton147 said:
    > Don't care if they are in the game or not.
    >
    > If they are returning in the future, I want a playpen, walker, and baby swing that comes with them.
    Wow tht is alot
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    I want toddlers. How can you have a life simulator without including the most formative life stage?
  • dixieangel550dixieangel550 Posts: 779 Member
    me!! I hated them in all games and do not miss them at all. my baby is a baby for a matter of seconds. I like kids, they can do for themselves
    QPs2LMU.jpg
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited January 2015

I'm old and 3 and 4 absolutely goes for me. But the romantic aspects play a huge part as well. When I started playing Sims it was all about having families and getting children, but that changed after ten generations. Then it became 'the game of love' and the focus changed to the YA life stage for me (because there is so much to do for that life stage in the game, which I love as well).
    I always play offline.
    With "romantic aspect" I meant just woohoo tbh. ;)
    I have added this because of those many posts about woohoo spots we can find all around in this forum. That and new forms of death seems to be most appreciated regarding the reactions. I don't get it but each to their own.

This space is for rent.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'm coping without them, but I'd prefer if they returned to the game. Like @Scobre, I would have preferred to have toddlers and eliminated the young adult category. There's really nothing differentiating young adults from adults -- in Sims 3 I could at least take my Sims into CAS and add a few grey/white streaks to the hair to show they were getting older. (Probably the main thing from CASt I miss.) In Sims 2, the Young Adult stage was only for Sims when they went to university -- as soon as they graduated or if they chose not to go they'd immediately age to Adult. Then in Sims 3 they decided to make Young Adult its own stage. I do prefer the Sims 3 approach to University because any age from YA up could go (I always felt bad when my Sim kids were better educated than their parents), but it does make the YA age stage sort of superfluous. I can't tell if there are any differences between YA and adults -- I think there are some minor appearance tweaks, but I can't spot them readily.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • TakekazeTakekaze Posts: 72 Member
    Toddlers can't make money, so I never cared about them. I always saw them as a completely pointless stage of micromanagement and source of door congestion, because every Sim in my house would run for the one toddler on the second floor and then they'd all get in each others way. Including Bonehilda.

That said, I want Bonehilda back.
  • AlmaMMAlmaMM Posts: 200 Member
    edited January 2015

That would explain why EA would focus on these statistics then, because it seems that EA, with the thing they have going on with TS4, cares a lot more about "appearing cool" and "being popular" than appealing to the silent but rich crowd of 'oldies' (I actually disagree with the young-old part of your theory but it's certainly easier than to say the-"cool-kids" and the people-who-like-to-keep-their-joy-to-themselves) because all those tweets and facebook statuses lure in more people than the oldies playing and paying a lot more with sims.

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Am I glad they are skipped over? No, not really. Do I miss them that much? No, not really. I can still play family with the kids because the kids are done better this time. I'd like them back at some point though, and if they are done right (meaning not like s3 toddlers with the horrible routing and stair issues)
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    To the OP: You know, there is at least one thread on here that addresses the issues of toddlers and family game play; to date it's over 100 pages long.

I think you'll find that the players in this forum who think toddlers belong in The Sims 4 far outnumber the number of players who don't want them in the game at all. Even those who say they won't play toddlers think that they should be in the game *because they were in the other 2 games* (TS2 & TS3).

I'm not sure if this topic was introduced out of pure curiosity, or if it's to try to convince readers that toddlers aren't really missed at all (or maybe to convince EA of that, who knows?). If it's to convince EA that players are satisfied with no toddlers, I think a lot of the answers here won't support your case.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    To the OP: You know, there is at least one thread on here that addresses the issues of toddlers and family game play; to date it's over 100 pages long.

I think you'll find that the players in this forum who think toddlers belong in The Sims 4 far outnumber the number of players who don't want them in the game at all. Even those who say they won't play toddlers think that they should be in the game *because they were in the other 2 games* (TS2 & TS3).

I'm not sure if this topic was introduced out of pure curiosity, or if it's to try to convince readers that toddlers aren't really missed at all (or maybe to convince EA of that, who knows?). If it's to convince EA that players are satisfied with no toddlers, I think a lot of the answers here won't support your case.

i think it was just curiosity.
  • mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    No, I'm definitely not OK with it, but as time goes on I also don't know that adding them will make the game feel more complete to me. They are a glaring omission at the moment though, I can't stand watching the babies morph out of the cribs and start walking around.