Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop temperatures

What are the temperatures of GPU and CPU that are okay for Sims 4?
Example: GPU running at 80 C, CPU at 85 C... are those all right?

Comments

• Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    Anything is good as long as it does not manage to heat the entire house and/or start a fire. ;)
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    Colton, you brat. :) I wish!
  • Options
    I would say 150 degrees Fahrenheit would be better than around 175. ;)
  • Options
    That's 65 Celsius and way less than I get running the game.
    Who's laptop runs that cool?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Mine. B)

EDIT: 80 C is perfectly fine. As long as it does not go up to 100 C. ;)
  • Options
    Ya, am I surprised? Nah. So what's your laptop?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Ya, am I surprised? Nah. So what's your laptop?

I was kidding. My laptop is around 70 C to 75 C. ;)

EDIT: It is usually 78 C though..
  • Options
    The GPU or the Core thingie?
  • Options
    Occasionally both. But it is the GPU mostly.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited December 2014
    With a little research online, I found this about CPU/GPU acceptable temperature ranges:

"For any correctly created modern CPU/GPU the maximum safe operating temperature is somewhere around 90C. If you reach these temperatures they should not be for extended periods of time. The maximum extended operating temperature should be at 80c or lower.

The maximum temperature before silicone / solder damage starts is right around 100c. If your CPU or GPU ever hit 100c, then it is possiblethey are damaged, also if they ever ran at 95C+ for extended periods of time, then it is likely they are damaged.

There are frequency, memory, and temperature monitors to show you whats happening with your system. Run the test for 30 minutes and watch your system the whole time. If your video starts giving you artifacts/garbage, then its probably running too hot or been damaged, if you get a BSOD, then your CPU/motherboard may be damaged. If your system locks up or restarts then its probably your power supply."

Source - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/367802-33-acceptable-temp-range

I play TS4 on an old HP G60 laptop with an integrated motherboard and use a Targus Chill Mat (cooler pad). I play for hours at a time and have not had any problems at all, no freezes, crashes, etc. If you're playing on a laptop, might consider using one yourself if you're worried.
  • Options
    colton147 wrote: »
    Occasionally both. But it is the GPU mostly.
    I'm okay in the GPU department 75-ish, I just worry about my Core 0 being 87-ish.

• Options
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    With a little research online, I found this about CPU/GPU acceptable temperature ranges:

"For any correctly created modern CPU/GPU the maximum safe operating temperature is somewhere around 90C. If you reach these temperatures they should not be for extended periods of time. The maximum extended operating temperature should be at 80c or lower.

The maximum temperature before silicone / solder damage starts is right around 100c. If your CPU or GPU ever hit 100c, then it is possiblethey are damaged, also if they ever ran at 95C+ for extended periods of time, then it is likely they are damaged.

There are frequency, memory, and temperature monitors to show you whats happening with your system. Run the test for 30 minutes and watch your system the whole time. If your video starts giving you artifacts/garbage, then its probably running too hot or been damaged, if you get a BSOD, then your CPU/motherboard may be damaged. If your system locks up or restarts then its probably your power supply."

I play TS4 on an old HP G60 laptop with an integrated motherboard and use a Targus Chill Mat (cooler pad). I play for hours at a time and have not had any problems at all, no freezes, crashes, etc. If you're playing on a laptop, might consider using one yourself if you're worried.

Very nice info, thanks, Karababy52.
    I haven't had a lick of trouble, either, I just find my eyes wandering down to the temperatures registering with Realtemp. Too much of a worrywart, I guess.
    It should be okay, laptop cost an arm and five legs a couple of years ago. :)
  • Options

Very nice info, thanks, Karababy52.
    I haven't had a lick of trouble, either, I just find my eyes wandering down to the temperatures registering with Realtemp. Too much of a worrywart, I guess.
    It should be okay, laptop cost an arm and five legs a couple of years ago. :)

*has a butcher's knife in hand*

I am ready for your arm and your leg! >:)
  • Options
    Too late. Sold to the computer store!
  • Options
    Too late. Sold to the computer store!

:'(

*cuts onion with butcher's knife* *tearing up*
  • Options
    Oh, here's a leftover toe. Enjoy!
  • Options
    You're welcome @applefeather2 and nothing wrong with being a worrywart when it comes to expensive equipment. :) Better safe than sorry as the saying goes, right? ;) Although my laptop was bought used for $75 from my future daughter-in-law, I'd still be devastated if I let it overheat and fry the motherboard since we can't afford to buy me a new one at this time.
  • Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    Mines around 40 degrees when playing the Sims 4 on ultra settings. Have 2 giant fans on my card
  • Options

Yay!!

*puts it in the toe jar where other people's toes were* B)
  • Options
    You're welcome @applefeather2 and nothing wrong with being a worrywart when it comes to expensive equipment. :) Better safe than sorry as the saying goes, right? ;) Although my laptop was bought used for $75 from my future daughter-in-law, I'd still be devastated if I let it overheat and fry the motherboard since we can't afford to buy me a new one at this time.

Yeah, these dratted things really get us, don't they? I know just what you mean.
  • Options
    colton147 wrote: »

Yay!!

*puts it in the toe jar where other people's toes were* B)
    "were"... must mean I'm speshull. Nice. My own toejar.

• Options
    Yep, they sure do. I'm hoping Santa brings me a new laptop or preferably desktop since I know I'm living on borrowed time with this old one and I doubt it'll be able to handle EPs very well. I only have 3 gigs of RAM. I can play on medium fine with no lag and minimal loading screen time, but I'd love to play on ultra. The screenshots some people post here on ultra settings look so gorgeous!

Anyway, I apologize for going OT. Have a great week! :)
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    I don't use a laptop for TS4, but I thought I'd toss this one in.. I have a Dell laptop and one or two occasions I left it on a mattress (ohh Nooo!) it simply shut itself off and would not restart for several minutes, less if I stuck it back on its vented laptop perch.
    I tend to think some of the "less old" laptops may have a safety system that kills everything before the temperature gets to where solders, silicone or motherboards would bake.

Or such has been my experience. Maybe I have been lucky, so I am not recommending anyone rely on self protection systems. This post is just an FYI. If I git it wrong someone will tell me, I'm sure.
  • Options
    Yep, they sure do. I'm hoping Santa brings me a new laptop or preferably desktop since I know I'm living on borrowed time with this old one and I doubt it'll be able to handle EPs very well. I only have 3 gigs of RAM. I can play on medium fine with no lag and minimal loading screen time, but I'd love to play on ultra. The screenshots some people post here on ultra settings look so gorgeous!

Anyway, I apologize for going OT. Have a great week! :)

Not at all! I really appreciate your input and the info on your machine. It's helpful and also has eased my mind a lot. :)
    *Putting wishes under your tree*
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Miki wrote: »
    I don't use a laptop for TS4, but I thought I'd toss this one in.. I have a Dell laptop and one or two occasions I left it on a mattress (ohh Nooo!) it simply shut itself off and would not restart for several minutes, less if I stuck it back on its vented laptop perch.<br />
    I tend to think some of the "less old" laptops may have a safety system that kills everything before the temperature gets to where solders, silicone or motherboards would bake.<br />
    <br />
    Or such has been my experience. Maybe I have been lucky, so I am not recommending anyone rely on self protection systems. This post is just an FYI. If I git it wrong someone will tell me, I'm sure.
    Yes, I know soft, cuddly places and laptops are sworn enemies, for sure.
    Anyway, my laptop is too big to be putting anywhere but my desk. Funny, the first thing I read when unpacking it was, 'don't use on your lap'. Yeah, it's too funny, that.
    I guess "laptop" really is the wrong name for some of these machines anyway.