Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Question - Cabinets/Counters

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, so I can move it.
But I was making a kitchen, and was having issues with the counters and cabinets. I see counters change to have round edges, or cabinets change from short overhead or very tall that reach the floor. But is there a way to select this? I don't see the controls to choose "short" upper cabinets, or "round" counters.
Thanks!

Comments

• BoristhebullBoristhebull Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm trying to figure this out as well atm, I see them in the styled rooms not sure how to do it myself.
    Anyone figure this out? been messing with it for an hour!
    Sweet, tyvm :smile:
  • seira83seira83 Posts: 100 Member
    Thank you Kulthero777!!! You are a savior!
    Is there some kind of Build Mode guide? This is very important information.
  • pinkstar6206pinkstar6206 Posts: 63 Member
    Glad I found this thread! Thanks so much for the info @Kulthero777
  • mtwtfss71mtwtfss71 Posts: 173 Member
    Thank you, thank you! I couldn't figure it out either.
  • Junebug6620Junebug6620 Posts: 418 Member
    :) Thank you--I couldn't figure it out either. Also in the styled room that I choose; there is an overhead cabinet that has a glass front & you can see dishes inside. When I moved it or put made the room larger & put another cabinet next to this one--it lost it's glass front & became just a plain cabinet with doors. I wanted to keep the glass front on the one overhead--kind of like a elegant, country look.
    Does anyone know how to make it a glass front--as there is not choice for that in the cabinet selections?
  • FatescruelFatescruel Posts: 110 Member
    edited September 2014
    Hello Junebug!
    You can follow this set of guidelines to change a counters display option.

Steps
    1. Click on the Change color section.
    2. Look for a small gear or wrench icon in the color menu.

Picture: i.imgur.com/jnI3bff.png
    (Paste the link into your address bar to see the image)

3. Select a counter option by clicking on the wrench & gear icon.
    4. Choose Auto Counter option (click to toggle on/off).
    5. Select a counter option from the display of counters within the wrench & gear menu.
    Post edited by Fatescruel on
    QxkUasu.png
  • MeleniaMelenia Posts: 1 New Member
    I found the settings before I got to this post. My issue is, the settings icon, appeared twice, and now has disappeared, whether i got auto counter on or off is not important. Any input on that?
    edited September 2014
    This is what you should see when you are adding counters in Build/Buy Mode:
    i.imgur.com/ZoOttWS.png

Paste the link into your address bar to see the image. The Auto Counters option should still be there. If not, try this:

1. Click on the Change color section.
    2. Look for a small gear or wrench icon in the color menu.

Picture: i.imgur.com/jnI3bff.png
    (Paste the link into your address bar to see the image)

3. Select a counter option by clicking on the wrench & gear icon.
    4. Choose Auto Counter option (click to toggle on/off).
    5. Select a counter option from the display of counters within the wrench & gear menu.
    QxkUasu.png
    edited September 2014
    If the above does not work for you, just post a reply. Maybe someone can shine some light on this.
    QxkUasu.png
  • icftlduicftldu Posts: 147 Member
    @Kulthero777 Nice find
  • Kulthero777Kulthero777 Posts: 1,027 Member
    icftldu wrote: »
    @Kulthero777 Nice find

Thanks! I made those screenshots and then wrote up the text when I finally figured it out myself, I know how frustrating it was for me, so I figured somebody else was probably having trouble too :)

• MMblew2MMblew2 Posts: 1 New Member
    Beyond helpful. Awesome
  • AnaCecilia63AnaCecilia63 Posts: 190 Member
    Thank you so much for this. Really helpful! :)
    My Tumblr
    My Blog
    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win". ~ Mahatma Gandhi.
  • ValerieRayne13ValerieRayne13 Posts: 60 Member
    Thank you so much for sharing this. I hate clicking on anything without knowing for sure what it does and I was getting very frustrated, because I really want rounded countertops. Now that I know it's just a simple button, it's very much appreciated (and now I can finally have the kitchen counters I want) - so thank you!
  • swiirl73swiirl73 Posts: 73 Member
    Thanks for sharing! :D I just discovered yesterday that I didn't know how to "build" counters. Why make it so complicated, building in Sims 4 was going to be easy I thought... :p
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    seira83 wrote: »
    Thank you Kulthero777!!! You are a savior!<br />
    Is there some kind of Build Mode guide? This is very important information.

There is a Building Tips and Tutorials thread in creative corner section of the forums that provides helpful tips and links
    The link is
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/796520/building-tips-and-tutorials-ruthless-kk-build-guide-link-too

Have fun simming and building! :)

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    One thing to note, is you have to select "island counters" to get the ones with rounded edges.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Junebug6620Junebug6620 Posts: 418 Member
    Fatescruel--I just wanted to give you a belated "thanks" for your post--I'm sure this thread has helped many struggling with this same issue.
  • emilytothrscueemilytothrscue Posts: 2 New Member
    Belated thank you as well!!
  • ucuphohoucuphoho Posts: 1 New Member
    one thing i want to ask.. i already find it the gear icon. but when i put it my inventory and move house. if i want to design the kitchen again. it keeps sending me the standar cabinet or counter. it wont change to auto. and i cant find the gear icon any more. please help
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    @ucuphoho: Go to 'room' mode, or I don't know what you call it but it categorizes the objects via rooms like kitchen, living room, etc. And then at the bottom right:
    2qdyiv8.png
    There's that turn on auto-counters. So, you turn it off and then you will get that gear icon again if you click on the cabinet or counter. Hope this helps. :)
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • JJmeerkat121JJmeerkat121 Posts: 2 New Member
    so if I want a floor to ceiling cabinet. but want the handles on the other side, is there a way to reverse the cabinet?
    does that even make sense?