Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which are good Expansion packs to start with?

I've recently finally got the Sims 3 And I'm wondering what are good expansion packs to start with? I'm thinking of ones that generally add new career options, places and opportunities for Sims. I'm most interested in career opportunities and places at the moment, but suggestions of all-round must-have expansions will be appreciated.

I got the Sims 3 with the Humble Bundle so I've already got Late Night

I was thinking maybe Ambitions and University life? Maybe Supernatural or Seasons. What are your opinions. What are the good features and drawbacks (if any) of those expansions. Do some expansions work best with another one?

Are there any must-have, or just really handy or fun 3rd party mods, Like NAM for SimCity 4?
Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs

Comments

• Options
    XesianXesian Posts: 441 Member
    edited August 2013
    Ambitions for definite. University only really affects Sims who qualify for it.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited August 2013
    If you want more career options, Ambitions is a must. Generations adds one new career option, education. Those are the only ones I have. I know there are others that add career options. I'm sure someone who has them will add to the list. Personally, Generations is the one I wouldn't want to ever play without again.
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    edited August 2013
    Actually Generations adds daycare profession. Education career comes with Ambitions.

If you want more careers, Showtime is also good, but of course it depends, what kind of careers you like to play. If you want to play with more everyday jobs, Ambitions will probably be better. If you want performance careers, then Showtime. But with both, you get jobs that you can actually play and are not rabbit holes (except for education career is still a rabbit hole).

I, personally, am not a very big fan of Ambitions. I hardly ever use the careers, and the ones I tried got boring really fast. I know I've said this before, but the dramatic -trait is probably the only thing that makes me not regret I got Ambitions :)

On the other hand, I love the performance careers with Showtime. They do get repetitive (same as with Ambitions), but with celebrities from Late Night, they actually give the sims reason to be celebrities.

Also, about the items that come with those EP:s. I think the clothes and hair and furniture with Showtime are much better than with Ambitions. Also, I've played quite a lot in Starlight Shores, which comes with Showtime. I've only shortly played it Twinbrook that comes with Ambitions, and found it kind of boring and ugly.

But the, as I said, these are only my personal preferences. Which you should get, completely depends on what kind of careers you're looking for :)
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    samj6samj6 Posts: 750 Member
    edited August 2013
    Ambitions is a great ep, the careers are fun and I love how interactive they are.

University life is more about earning a degree to enter your chosen career at a higher level. It doesn't add as much long term changes that I think ambitions does.
  • Options
    GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    edited August 2013
    Supernatural :thumbup:

The best TS3 expansion in my opinion.

It is really a huge expansion full of content. :)
  • Options
    isabel_santos87isabel_santos87 Posts: 272 Member
    edited August 2013
    If you're looking for new careers I would have to agree with the majority and go with ambitions.

You can pretty much have any job you want, you just need a level 1 skill. You can be a painter, gardener, writer, you name it.

Showtime also comes with 3 new careers: acrobat, singer and magician.

So does University life but for that you have to reach level 10 of a social group.
    Jocks unlock the sports agent career, rebels unlock the art appraiser career and nerds unlock the video gamer career (or whatever that's called).

These are the 3 that give you the biggest options when it comes to choose a job.

Then Late Night, wich you have gives you the best CAS options and Supernatural gives you the best build/buy options so if you're into building and decorating that one is a must.

My favorite EP is supernatural and I strongly recommend that you get it whenever if you have the chance 'cause it's so much fun and it gives you so many new options.
  • Options
    LiodannaLiodanna Posts: 10 New Member
    edited August 2013
    My choices would be:

Ambitions - adds new careers and building to the town
    Seasons - adds weather!
    Island Life - opens up a whole load of new interactions and introduced a limited amount of Open for Business style game play with resorts

Then the next three are probably the next "must haves" for me in any order.

Generations - a huge overhaul of the lifestages for sims, specially for children.
    Supernatural - adds the occult figures and overhauls the vamps from Late Night.
    Pets - adds another dimension to the game and the pets are so much better now they're playable

I hardly ever play with the options which came with Showtime or World Adventures but I use a lot of the building tools from them so they're bottom of my list when it comes to buying a new EP.
  • Options
    Sophia666Sophia666 Posts: 427 Member
    edited August 2013
    As others have said, Ambitions is great if you want new interactive careers as is Showtime. As for a rounded game I suggest Seasons is a good one to get and Pets as they add a large number of new interactions. I have never bothered much with Generations and University is a good game but I think is one that should end a collection not start it (only my opinion though I know many could not play without it!). After the initial novelty, I don't actually use any World Adventures stuff so it isn't one I would highly recommend. Island Paradise is amazing and the resort building is fantastic! Supernatural is good but can get a bit exasperating at times particularly if you have witches on high will- those love spells are frustrating!!!

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    XesianXesian Posts: 441 Member
    edited August 2013
    GREENEYA wrote:
    Supernatural :thumbup:

The best TS3 expansion in my opinion.

It is really a huge expansion full of content. :)
    But except for the new life states, and alchemy, what the heck is left?

BTW Showtime isn't the best choice if you got Late Night. It's more of a fad and you'll need to use Simport alot to actually get what the expansion has to offer.
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    edited August 2013
    Xesian wrote:
    BTW Showtime isn't the best choice if you got Late Night. It's more of a fad and you'll need to use Simport alot to actually get what the expansion has to offer.

That's your opinion. I think the careers really added to the game with Late Night -features, especially since the careers work better than LN bands. Also, I've never felt the need to use Simport, but I still think the EP:s added enough content in my game.

But then, I know a lot of people love Ambitions, and I find it boring, so I might just enjoy different kinds of things in my game than most people.
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png