Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

People want a more complex game, but minimal requirements

Comments

  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,422 Member
    edited May 2013
    GlennGnerd wrote:
    The Sims 3, without weather, is not a graphically demanding piece of software. It is, however, processor and memory heavy for loading new objects. Even today, a lower-end laptop, in the 400ish price-range, with a decent amount of processing power and ram could run The Sims 3 on medium settings without much of a hitch.

    Nevertheless, keep in mind that many players play or try to play games on PCs that are infested with ad-ware, spyware, grayware, and the ilk. The user is often at fault, not the hardware. - I'm looking at you, Facebook, a scammer's paradise. At the computer repair shop, we spent the majority of the time cleaning virus-infested computers. I ain't kiddin' in the least bit.

    That being said, simply trying to convince everyone to upgrade their PC/s is not the be all and end all of solutions. The "in one ear, out the other and I've done no wrong mentality" is another cause for those unreasonable demands. A mismanaged PC with greater hardware is no better than a mismanaged PC with the lesser, imo.

    Bash/troll away. I'm all ears... err eyes.

    I'm not trolling or bashing people. I'm just stating the obvious fact that you can't expect to play a game with advanced graphics/settings and expect it to run like clock work on a base model PC from 5+ years ago. People don't have to upgrade their PCs if they want, but I don't think those of us with better computers should have to stay in the past because of them either.
  • Options
    kjoneskjones Posts: 832 Member
    edited May 2013
    Even if older systems can run the TS4 base game, an upgrade is going to be necessary in order to add EPs and such. At this point PCs that ran the TS3 base game with no problems, are struggling to keep up with all the content that has been added in the last 4 years.

    When I recently purchased a new PC (prior to the announcement) I got the best of what is available right now so it can take me many years into the future. As much as I would love for TS4 to wake up my GTX660, I think that might be a few years into the new series.


  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited May 2013
    I completely agree.

    Technology is constantly changing and advancing. If a game wants any chance of survival it needs to keep advancing too. We're all going to have to update our machines at some point if we want to continue playing new games on them. So by all means EA, design the game so that a more casual player could run it... just don't hold it back so that a computer that was updated to run TS2 will run it.
  • Options
    GlennGnerdGlennGnerd Posts: 272
    edited May 2013
    Aeroprincess87
    Ignore the troll comment, because it wasn't aimed towards anyone in particular. Just a joke, nothing more. I'd be more than happy if EA decided to take the system reqs up a notch or two, or three.

    PHOEBESMOM601
    Have you ever tried telling your relatives/friends to stop clicking in places they don't belong? If you ask me, the safest browsing is no browsing. I've met people in person whose lives were literally centered around "clicking in places they don't belong." Why? Addiction. How can "we", thesims3 forum group, solve their problem? We can't.

    Besides, I thought these forums already had a step-by-step guide to computer care somewhere in the technical discussion.
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited May 2013
    I would love to have better graphics (like the recent modern games) for Sims 4. I don't mind upgrading my pc as long as the graphics and the game is much more improved. :D
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited May 2013
    Coby wrote:
    We would all love a game that is made for newer hardware (well those of who have it or are willing to upgrade) but the market that EA will be selling the Sims 4 in sadly will not. EA will cater to this market, rather if we like it or not.

    Having a Sims 4 that uses DirectX 11, and all the latest bells is whistles would be awesome, but would financially hurt EA when it sells a few million (and that's on the high end) compared to the 10+ million it will sell by having a larger base that can actually play it on the PC they have now.

    These people are not going to upgrade just to play the Sims 4. EA knows this.

    The thing is, they are losing customers as well. I have two adult daughters who play TS2 obsessively, but EA lost all three of us with TS3 mainly because of the bad graphics/art style/childish gameplay. We all have good gaming computers and keep them upgraded. None of us want to play a game that looks like it was made for little kids. My oldest daughter plays games like GTA and my youngest is obsessed with Skyrim. I mainly play the Assassin's Creed series.

    We all would rather play a beautiful new TS4, but if it looks like a cartoon and has childish gameplay, we'll walk away like we did with TS3. I know a lot of people must feel the same way. Of course, you won't find them on these forums, because TS3 didn't appeal to them.

    I just wish EA would stop treating Simmers like we are all children or computer illiterate sheep and make TS4 an up-to-date game for grown-ups.

    Indeed. Except the game does not start out for grown-ups but teens and up. Therefore, it would be really nice for EA to go to the max of what a T for Teen rating will allow. Because right now, TS3 is too TAME. The console spin-offs gets away with so much more adult themes/situations than the PC version and the console versions are also rated T for Teen, so what's up with that?

    Me personally, do not want to play an E for Everyone cartoony life simulation. If I wanted that I'd go play Animal Crossing, which for some reason I bought for Wii because its got good ratings but personally didn't find it all that fun nor entertaining. :?
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    CobyCoby Posts: 1,725 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Coby wrote:
    We would all love a game that is made for newer hardware (well those of who have it or are willing to upgrade) but the market that EA will be selling the Sims 4 in sadly will not. EA will cater to this market, rather if we like it or not.

    Having a Sims 4 that uses DirectX 11, and all the latest bells is whistles would be awesome, but would financially hurt EA when it sells a few million (and that's on the high end) compared to the 10+ million it will sell by having a larger base that can actually play it on the PC they have now.

    These people are not going to upgrade just to play the Sims 4. EA knows this.

    The thing is, they are losing customers as well. I have two adult daughters who play TS2 obsessively, but EA lost all three of us with TS3 mainly because of the bad graphics/art style/childish gameplay. We all have good gaming computers and keep them upgraded. None of us want to play a game that looks like it was made for little kids. My oldest daughter plays games like GTA and my youngest is obsessed with Skyrim. I mainly play the Assassin's Creed series.

    We all would rather play a beautiful new TS4, but if it looks like a cartoon and has childish gameplay, we'll walk away like we did with TS3. I know a lot of people must feel the same way. Of course, you won't find them on these forums, because TS3 didn't appeal to them.

    I just wish EA would stop treating Simmers like we are all children or computer illiterate sheep and make TS4 an up-to-date game for grown-ups.

    I play GTA, Skyrim, AC, and TS3. If you think GTA, AC, & Skyrim are pushing hardware you would be wrong, there actually on the low end of the hardware spectrum. Why? Because there sandbox (graphics are worse on sandbox games because of everything happening in the fictional world, much like TS3 there is a lot happening that you don't see), and because PC games are still be held back by consoles because companies don't want to spend extra $$$ making different textures & adding stuff for the PC version. There are only a handful of games have pushed hardware recently such as Battlefield 3 and Crysis 3.

    But ignoring that... your blaming the wrong thing here. It not the system requirements that made the graphics/art style/childish gameplay bad that your trying to argue against. It's EA's bad game design. The gameplay has arguing gotten much better in the last few EP's, the Sims are still emotionless dolls but still. Using a lighting mod, and enough time and CC you can make Sims 3 look fantastic all on the same hardware. Proof that better hardware isn't the answer.

    EA is a business they are not going to limit there sales by making there game need the hardware you want it to have and it's not really needed anyway. Ask them to design better not increase requirements to an unrealistic level for the market there trying to sell the game in.

    Deshong04 wrote:

    Indeed. Except the game does not start out for grown-ups but teens and up. Therefore, it would be really nice for EA to go to the max of what a T for Teen rating will allow. Because right now, TS3 is too TAME. The console spin-offs gets away with so much more adult themes/situations than the PC version and the console versions are also rated T for Teen, so what's up with that?

    Me personally, do not want to play an E for Everyone cartoony life simulation. If I wanted that I'd go play Animal Crossing, which for some reason I bought for Wii because its got good ratings but personally didn't find it all that fun nor entertaining. :?

    The Sims 3 PC version and console version are almost exactly the same... I have played both. There is nothing there not doing in the Sims 3 now that wasn't being done in the original Sims when the game came out as far as the rating goes.

  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    edited May 2013
    To overcome that people are not willing to upgrade or just do not have the funds to do so, make the software where it will scale up or down to each computer specs and not just for the lowest denominator. If I have a high-end computer I should be able to play to the max that my specs could enable me to. :D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    CobyCoby Posts: 1,725 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Goldmoldar wrote:
    To overcome that people are not willing to upgrade or just do not have the funds to do so, make the software where it will scale up or down to each computer specs and not just for the lowest denominator. If I have a high-end computer I should be able to play to the max that my specs could enable me to. :D

    They actually did that with TS3. They created a low texture and a med/high texture, but to do that and cover the low end to the extreme high end of the PC specs would require more than that and a lot more time and $$$ than I'm betting EA is willing to do.
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited May 2013
    However many pc games do accommodate both with dlc. Skyrim is designed to support heavy modding with the adjustments of it's ui, it's animations, even it's graphics can be ported to an HD version.

    What that says is yes game design for sims is a problem. Instead of tightening it's reigns for that cash shop it should be embracing the modding community so that players can mod and cc the game into what the company will not make. Providing for both not just one group and it was never an issue with sims 2 because it could be done. The sims 3 the coding makes it much more difficult to support the cc and mods that many players could make in sims 2.

    If that is ea's direction they want to take they'll need to accommodated higher end pc's just as well as they do the low end ones or suffer loses. We've seen what happens when EA decides to side with just one group. Either allow it to be modded to a consumers needs or provide the ability in the game it self. Lock out that group and you'll see just how many people again flock away from sims.

    Frankly the other issue is providing a game that's codded to work with current processors and not just older ones. It used to be games would detect an os and install accordingly. Players hear are not wanting ot have to deal with glitches because he game can detect their ram and processor. Simply put it's a loss for money for ea too if modern pc's can't play the game either. The gamer that keeps up with their pc is a market they don't want to lose because they're considered more hardcore those players bring in other players with them. Lose those players and you lose those casual customers that come with them. The wiser answer is to do both.
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited May 2013
    However many pc games do accommodate both with dlc. Skyrim is designed to support heavy modding with the adjustments of it's ui, it's animations, even it's graphics can be ported to an HD version.

    What that says is yes game design for sims is a problem. Instead of tightening it's reigns for that cash shop it should be embracing the modding community so that players can mod and cc the game into what the company will not make. Providing for both not just one group and it was never an issue with sims 2 because it could be done. The sims 3 the coding makes it much more difficult to support the cc and mods that many players could make in sims 2.

    If that is ea's direction they want to take they'll need to accommodated higher end pc's just as well as they do the low end ones or suffer loses. We've seen what happens when EA decides to side with just one group. Either allow it to be modded to a consumers needs or provide the ability in the game it self. Lock out that group and you'll see just how many people again flock away from sims.

    Frankly the other issue is providing a game that's codded to work with current processors and not just older ones. It used to be games would detect an os and install accordingly. Players hear are not wanting ot have to deal with glitches because he game can detect their ram and processor. Simply put it's a loss for money for ea too if modern pc's can't play the game either. The gamer that keeps up with their pc is a market they don't want to lose because they're considered more hardcore those players bring in other players with them. Lose those players and you lose those casual customers that come with them. The wiser answer is to do both.
  • Options
    CobyCoby Posts: 1,725 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Anavastia wrote:
    However many pc games do accommodate both with dlc. Skyrim is designed to support heavy modding with the adjustments of it's ui, it's animations, even it's graphics can be ported to an HD version.

    What that says is yes game design for sims is a problem. Instead of tightening it's reigns for that cash shop it should be embracing the modding community so that players can mod and cc the game into what the company will not make. Providing for both not just one group and it was never an issue with sims 2 because it could be done. The sims 3 the coding makes it much more difficult to support the cc and mods that many players could make in sims 2.

    If that is ea's direction they want to take they'll need to accommodated higher end pc's just as well as they do the low end ones or suffer loses. We've seen what happens when EA decides to side with just one group. Either allow it to be modded to a consumers needs or provide the ability in the game it self. Lock out that group and you'll see just how many people again flock away from sims.

    Frankly the other issue is providing a game that's codded to work with current processors and not just older ones. It used to be games would detect an os and install accordingly. Players hear are not wanting ot have to deal with glitches because he game can detect their ram and processor. Simply put it's a loss for money for ea too if modern pc's can't play the game either. The gamer that keeps up with their pc is a market they don't want to lose because they're considered more hardcore those players bring in other players with them. Lose those players and you lose those casual customers that come with them. The wiser answer is to do both.

    I agree with you about the modding stuff. However having the game play on the newest hardware and utilizing that hardware when it available it a much different thing than designing the game around that hardware from the get go. There is no doubt that TS4 will utilize newer hardware, and you will have better performance with newer hardware, just don't expect the game to be designed around that hardware.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited May 2013
    GlennGnerd wrote:
    .
    PHOEBESMOM601
    Have you ever tried telling your relatives/friends to stop clicking in places they don't belong? If you ask me, the safest browsing is no browsing. I've met people in person whose lives were literally centered around "clicking in places they don't belong." Why? Addiction. How can "we", thesims3 forum group, solve their problem? We can't.

    OMG yes I have......She had so much crap on her computer I ended up doing a complete system restore for her and delivering a lecture.

    I'm by no means a computer expert but I do try to learn what I can.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited May 2013
    Coby wrote:
    Deshong04 wrote:

    Indeed. Except the game does not start out for grown-ups but teens and up. Therefore, it would be really nice for EA to go to the max of what a T for Teen rating will allow. Because right now, TS3 is too TAME. The console spin-offs gets away with so much more adult themes/situations than the PC version and the console versions are also rated T for Teen, so what's up with that?

    Me personally, do not want to play an E for Everyone cartoony life simulation. If I wanted that I'd go play Animal Crossing, which for some reason I bought for Wii because its got good ratings but personally didn't find it all that fun nor entertaining. :?

    The Sims 3 PC version and console version are almost exactly the same... I have played both. There is nothing there not doing in the Sims 3 now that wasn't being done in the original Sims when the game came out as far as the rating goes.

    The console versions for one, the sims themselves are actually portraying its alive virtual people with personality. TS3 sims for some reason I cannot seem to find as lively, something is lacking. In fact I thought TS2 sims were way over the top, yet now TS3 sims is way...not even feeling much of any believable emotion/personality from sims barely. Even with the traits system. And the moodlet system just kills it even more because it causes players to read what their sim is feeling instead of seeing their sim react/act it out.

    TS3 sims are like programmed robots, not virtual people imitating life in a life simulation. TS3 sims are the most lackluster sims ever to date, IMO.

    What I am trying to say is: The console version sims are way more SPONTANEOUS than TS3 sims. And it doesn't help at all that TS3 sims often just stand there looking stupid. I don't like the idle just stand there and stare off into virtual space thing. And interactions in console games are way more adult themed (mature) than the TS3. Which is why I say is too TAME given the same exact rating.

    The Sims Bustin' Out
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBCMxcTXemA

    Urbz Sims in the City
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRCZTNe1fTU

    Why can't the game ever be as exciting as the promo/intro videos?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgRpNUD6ATg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4-tsObu824&NR=1&feature=endscreen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s10-6Za8GoI

    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    chelbey27chelbey27 Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    I get where your coming from as I want TS4 to have much better graphics and everything, but for us people who rely on our parents to buy us a new computer it just won't work, my laptop runs TS3 decently with all stuff and expansion packs but if TS4 raises the requirements I don't think it will cope. Meaning I won't be able to play the new S4. I have been a loyal Simmer since I met the requirement age and I won't be able to be anymore if this happens. My parents won't buy me an new laptop for a few more years, meaning I will not reach the requirements for TS4 if what you want happens.
  • Options
    epicpaigeepicpaige Posts: 94 Member
    edited May 2013
    All I want is for this game to actually be coded properly to work on a Mac, preferably iOS 10.6.8 and up (Snow Leopard is still run by many in the Mac community). I can see both sides of the argument here with people wanting bigger and better, while others are afraid that their computers won't be able to run the game. But then again, welcome to the Mac problem that's been going on since the start of TS3. We can't handle horses or running seasons and university simultaneously, haha. So while I sympathize, I don't think EA is going to rule in favor of those lagging behind. Hopefully, since the Mac community has made enough noise to make SimCity be recoded from the bottom up for Mac, TS4 will be the same.
  • Options
    MelanieSimlishMelanieSimlish Posts: 4,432 Member
    edited May 2013
    I agree, because games can't hold themselves back from improving JUST to please a few people who can't afford to upgrade — which is fine, if you don't want to or really can't pay for it then stick to TS3 for a while. But I don't think the game should be so demanding that nice, but not specifically built for gaming, computers can't handle it. Just as long as my 2012 MacBook Pro can handle it, then I'm good.
    44444.gif
  • Options
    SugarRaveSugarRave Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited May 2013
    Anavastia wrote:
    I just don't understand why for the pc hardware people feel that after 7 years of gaming or even 5 years they should not have to upgrade. Eventually the games do need to improve in game play etc. I get the whole thing about not always affording a new pc but sometimes it's not even about just buying a new pc sometimes all it takes is an upgrade like a new graphics card and what not.

    It's not just games that push improvement, Microsoft is constantly pushing their new operating systems and phasing out old ones (and it's pretty hard to ignore, they give you a scary notification when support actually ends for your OS) by discontinuing security updates. And the OS itself has a set of hardware requirements to fill before you even think about software :?
  • Options
    LilySanchezLilySanchez Posts: 65 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Help me out here, I plan on buying a new laptop for The Sims 4.

    What theoretical system requirements would I need?
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,422 Member
    edited May 2013
    chelbey27 wrote:
    I get where your coming from as I want TS4 to have much better graphics and everything, but for us people who rely on our parents to buy us a new computer it just won't work, my laptop runs TS3 decently with all stuff and expansion packs but if TS4 raises the requirements I don't think it will cope. Meaning I won't be able to play the new S4. I have been a loyal Simmer since I met the requirement age and I won't be able to be anymore if this happens. My parents won't buy me an new laptop for a few more years, meaning I will not reach the requirements for TS4 if what you want happens.

    I was in your position when the Sims2 was released. And all I can say is, I feel for you. But I still don't want EA holding us back a few years just because some people can't upgrade their PC to fit with the games of today. And if you want to play the Sims or any other PC game for that matter, I'd recommend you get a desktop rather than a laptop. It's cheaper to upgrade and cheaper to buy outright than a brand new laptop.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited May 2013
    I personally hope for the reverse, I hope EA makes The Sims 4 capable of being run smoothly on the lowest possible requirements, hell even on XP if they can do it.

    Any idiot can create a powerful graphics/game engine that requires massively powerful hardware to run it, but usually they are very inefficient THAT'S what held The Sims 3 back... Inefficiency. It's that same inefficiency that reduces what could otherwise be excellent games into worthless junk.

    I want TS4 to be as optimized as possible, so that it can run smoothly and still look good even on old systems, and no, it's not an unrealistic requirement... Epic does it with their Unreal engine.

    If the game can run perfectly on weak systems, then it can run the same on better systems as well... They could perhaps add some scalability to allow for better computers to have far more sims or better graphics, ETC, but the base game must run on the lowest requirements they can possibly manage.



    EDIT - A fun fact for those here - Most of todays games could be run on Windows XP with ease but for the Lock Microsoft has placed on some of their software which prevents it.
    raw
  • Options
    lovcatlovcat Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited May 2013
    Basically what I was saying before is that you don't NEED to run out and buy a 1500-3000 machine. Research. Build. Upgrade when necessary. My machine ran skyrim with no lag on the ultra settings. It was it's "recommended" settings for my machine.

    It didn't cost a thousand dollars to do so. You will NOT need a 1500 machine to run the sims 4. I wish they'd have support for the higher end computers.

    I have to use an FPS limiter and I had to go in and tweak the ram settings so it wouldn't skip and lag (take 15 seconds to get across the map to my sim, the time randomly stops then speeds up a half an hour or so.). I'm well above the recommended settings and that's what we're all kinda whining/moaning about.

    The Sims 3 sometimes runs like you're below the hardware limits if you're well above them. You usually can't run the sims 3 with a bunch of store content and all the expansion packs without either third party intervention or tweaking the settings themselves in the game folders.

    As said above Microsoft will stop supporting XP next year. Apple tends to stop supporting their operating systems quicker.

    http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-660/fs

    All the dell inspirons which are nice computers and will last you quite a while (i'd get at least an i5 which is 549) are running 64-bit.

  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited May 2013
    Well, it's kind of pointless us talking about this anyway, I'm pretty sure the graphics engine of TS4 has already been decided upon.
    raw
  • Options
    Hunter_JinHunter_Jin Posts: 175
    edited May 2013
    Well, it's more of like give and take. The Sims team give a much better gameplay performance that will need to upgrade the specs or just stay what they are and retain the old specs.
  • Options
    darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited May 2013
    Coby wrote:
    I play GTA, Skyrim, AC, and TS3. If you think GTA, AC, & Skyrim are pushing hardware you would be wrong, there actually on the low end of the hardware spectrum. Why? Because there sandbox (graphics are worse on sandbox games because of everything happening in the fictional world, much like TS3 there is a lot happening that you don't see), and because PC games are still be held back by consoles because companies don't want to spend extra $$$ making different textures & adding stuff for the PC version. There are only a handful of games have pushed hardware recently such as Battlefield 3 and Crysis 3.

    Regardless, I just can't go from the beautiful worlds of these other games to what we got in TS3.
    Coby wrote:
    But ignoring that... your blaming the wrong thing here. It not the system requirements that made the graphics/art style/childish gameplay bad that your trying to argue against. It's EA's bad game design. The gameplay has arguing gotten much better in the last few EP's, the Sims are still emotionless dolls but still. Using a lighting mod, and enough time and CC you can make Sims 3 look fantastic all on the same hardware. Proof that better hardware isn't the answer.

    No, you absolutely cannot. TS3 looks just dreadful no matter what you do to it. I have never seen anything from TS3 that looked "fantastic."

    Deshong04 wrote:

    Indeed. Except the game does not start out for grown-ups but teens and up. Therefore, it would be really nice for EA to go to the max of what a T for Teen rating will allow. Because right now, TS3 is too TAME...

    Me personally, do not want to play an E for Everyone cartoony life simulation. If I wanted that I'd go play Animal Crossing, which for some reason I bought for Wii because its got good ratings but personally didn't find it all that fun nor entertaining. :?

    I agree. It's fine that the game has a T rating. I just don't want it to be a kiddie game, and that's what TS3 seemed like to me.

    [/quote]
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top