Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Re-Connect with your Sims!

I am personally really looking forward to seeing what the Sims 4 has to offer.

I felt very connected to my Sims in the Sims 2. However the Sims 3 really lacked that. I've only grown fond of about 5 Sims in total. I really hope The Sims 4 brings back that connection to our Sims!

I know, they're only Sims. But its the main reason most of us play the game.

What do you think connects you to your favourite Sims? What do you hope for in the Sims 4 based on this topic?

Happy Simming!

Comments

• Options
    JacobRuehlmanJacobRuehlman Posts: 495 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I feel like I was most connected to my sims in The Sims (first generation) on Playstation 2... I feel as if every generation of Sims is being dumbed down and the connection between me and my sims is slowly slipping away more and more... The Sims 3 I cannot recall playing any family all the way through like I did in The Sims on PS2 and The Sims 1 & 2 on PC. Most of the time I'll just create a family or build a wonderful house but have just such boring/static sims! I loved at the start of The Sims on PS2 you lived with your parents (if I remember correctly) and you had to fix the t.v and were given goals and really felt accomplished while playing through the game and moving out and I just had such a strong connection to my sims with that game. I highly enjoyed Urbz as well as other titles on the PS2 for Sims. The Sims 1 & 2 on PC were both fun as well (although missing something magical that The Sims on PS2 had)... but The Sims 3 is really lacking... something. I can't put my finger on any one thing and I know it has to do with the sims themselves as well as many other factors... I hope everyone is making sense of what I'm saying, lol. I just am praying that Maxis (especially) and EA will work their magic with The Sims 4! They have to get it right this time! They have to... :)
  • Options
    xromanticxshadowxxromanticxshadowx Posts: 458 Member
    edited May 2013
    i really think more people would enjoy the game if they did bring back that connection with their sim.

you lived with your parents
    if it is bustin' out then you lived with your aunt. :) I loved that game. I like bustin' out and urbs and the story/cast away because they gave me things to do, goals and what not, rather then getting bored as soon as i was done with the 4 hours to make my perfect home. LOL

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I loved Bustin' Out! In the Original Sims on PS2 it was your mom that wakes you up at the beginning of the game, your character is "daydreaming" about a hot date... lol anyways, she breaks the t.v and asks you to fix it and then the game goes on from there and is just loads of fun!!! :P lol Great games... I miss them!! I want The Sims 4 to bring something special to the table that the others from the past have, they need to take some time to look back and see what is missing in these newer generations!

I'm just afraid they are going to keep making it more and more kiddie friendly and farther away from the original that I loved so much :(
  • Options
    AyemeeAyemee Posts: 957 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I totally agree. I remember the original Sims on PS2 and PC. Both of them had such charm and more interesting characters than the newer Sims. I feel like, even with the traits in the Sims 3, my Sims are a bit, well... boring.

I'm installing my Sims 2 games again.

I miss more of a challenge to get what I want for my Sims. I'm afraid about the kiddie friendly stuff too.

Not saying they should add adult stuff. I understand a lot of kids do play the game. However I think most players, are of an adult age.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ayemee wrote:
    I totally agree. I remember the original Sims on PS2 and PC. Both of them had such charm and more interesting characters than the newer Sims. I feel like, even with the traits in the Sims 3, my Sims are a bit, well... boring.

I miss more of a challenge to get what I want for my Sims. I'm afraid about the kiddie friendly stuff too.

Not saying they should add adult stuff. I understand a lot of kids do play the game. However I think most players, are of an adult age.

This 100%!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ayemee wrote:

This 100%!

:mrgreen:

I am quite excited about the Sims 4 though. Not going to lie.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Same here!! Can't wait! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    peoineepeoinee Posts: 2,183 Member
    edited May 2013
    I agree the connection isnt there but its something that i cant put my finger on i cant actually tell you the individual things that make the sims seem so blah just a bunch of little things that you dont notice are missing but you feel the loss itself.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,553 Member
    edited May 2013
    I was connected to my TS2 sims because they actively connected with me.
    They look at you, complain to you, and show you their glee. Their animations were a little more nuanced, so their emotions were that more believable. They also were vulnerable because they were subject to aspiration failure, harassment by enemies, and fears. I really cared about them because their world could come tumbling down.

TS3 sims don't actively connect with you. Their sometimes robotic animations break the magic. However, I do feel connected to my TS3 sims because I created them. I also feel connected because I make up stories for them and that is the only way I can project deeper characterization on them. I don't feel that connected to sims made by EA unless I add them to my story scenarios. I also don't feel much concern for them. There isn't much in their world worry about. Traits help because some of them are humorous and distinctive, but they can also feel superficial.

I do have a lot of TS3 sims that I am feel connected to. Some of them are basically immortal because I like them so much and want them to experience new EPs.

I doubt other simmers would feel the same connection I do for my sims. Like I said, TS3 sims don't actively connect with you. Other simmers didn't make all the choices I made in creating them, and probably wouldn't like my CC skins and eyes--yet another effort of mine to connect with my sims because I rejected the default skin and eyes.

So these are just a few of my TS3 sims. I like them, but it came about in a very different way than my TS2 sims.
    Screenshot-4049.jpg

Screenshot-3941.jpg
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    CK213, I know exactly what you mean. I recognize those Sims! Velma and Vael!

I have a handful of Sims 3 sims that I am connected to. Only one family. But like you said, I created them and I've played through their generations the way I wanted.

I just hope they will bring that emotion back. Thats what made them the most fun and quirky to me.
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited May 2013
    Thinking about my first Sims 2 family that I played for the entire time I had the game (until the final year, when I relocated), I thought of some things that made me feel connected to my sims.

One time my sims' teen daughter was chatting on the computer with her high school sweetheart. After a while, a pop-up came up saying something along the lines that the boy offered to come over and hang out. That was unexpected and I accepted! The boy came over and hung out with the daughter. This became a very regular thing after she completed her homework!

I remember always having the parents dance with their kids!

Actually, the parents did so many things with their kids. By the time the kids grew up, I moved them into their own houses and played them as well. The children got married and raised their own families. I played them all in a rotation--to keep the neighborhood aging at the same pace. I played the whole town through five generations, and my rotation was huge. I only decided to try a brand new sim in a new neighborhood in the final year of Sims 2, just because my life had changed so much and there were so many memories triggered by playing the neighborhood.

These days, I only play one household because it just doesn't work well to do otherwise. I have played several families through to the fifth generation, but the towns never made it to the third generation. I would always have to move my sims to a new neighborhood or a new copy of the same neighborhood, due to bugs that come up.

So the game is not stable enough to play it the way I would like to, and that is probably the biggest reason I'm disconnected from my sims. The fact is that I always have something in the back of my head reminding me not to get too attached to my sims or the town because they could all go to "pixel heaven" in a moment's notice :cry:
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2013
    I have Sims saved in a neighborhood from TS2 I played the hood for about 6 years. Inbetween playing or building other hoods. These Sims I never allowed to die. Others could die around them, and sometimes their best friends but they were very special.

And they still are. It is kind of crazy to be attached to a Sim. No doubt the therapist would want to know why someone was attached to a made up character in a game.

As CK213 pointed out, it 'seemed' to me the more you played one Sim or a few etc., they started evolving. TS3 Sims don't evolve.

In TS2 these Sims soon learned what the moring routine was, and they started doing most of it on their own, in order, in sequence. Maybe that was all in my head but I could swear it was true.

They waited for the player (if you played a Sim often) to give the commands and waited by the bed for a few seconds, and if you didn't then the smarter ones (yes, some were dumber than others) would go through their morning routine the player had probably drilled into their little heads over and over each day.

Then when you playd other Sims and were on community lots that Sim would show up..as if to say..'hey, here I am!' inorder for you to continue some kind of interactions with the Sim, even as another Sim.

You won't see that in TS3..maybe it really wasn't programmed to happen that way..but overtime it did an often.

I only have two Sim in all of TS3 I won't delete and I don't always play them or even in their world, but because I spent a lot of time making videos of some stories with those two Sims I feel more attached to them..all others I couldn't care less about other than all my building and designing and or getting to the top of some goal. Other than that they are the same as any other in TS3..nothing special.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ayemee wrote:
    CK213, I know exactly what you mean. I recognize those Sims! Velma and Vael!

I have a handful of Sims 3 sims that I am connected to. Only one family. But like you said, I created them and I've played through their generations the way I wanted.

I just hope they will bring that emotion back. Thats what made them the most fun and quirky to me.

:lol: Velma is an example for story scenarios making a connection. Her expression in this shot was hysterical to me.
    Screenshot-3941.jpg

Because at Vael's last birthday party, the platinum blond above was dancing on Velma's kitchen counter top.
    Screenshot-082.jpg

The natural response to me would be: "Get off my kitchen counter!"
    After being told to leave she came back, probably because another sim was having their turn at the cake.
    Screenshot-084.jpg

So I would imagine that she wouldn't be all that thrilled to see her again. It was all just coincidence though. Velma was probably just going through her random trait reactions at the party and it had nothing to do with the platinum blond.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    In TS2 these Sims soon learned what the moring routine was, and they started doing most of it on their own, in order, in sequence. Maybe that was all in my head but I could swear it was true.

That would be very interesting if sims learned from how simmers played them.
    Even more interesting if sims of different personalities responded to their "Training" differently.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    CK213 wrote:
    So I would imagine that she wouldn't be all that thrilled to see her again. It was all just coincidence though. Velma was probably just going through her random trait reactions at the party and it had nothing to do with the platinum blond.

Haha! Yeah the storytelling aspect with your Sims connects you a lot I agree. I loved getting pictures and capturing the rarer outbursts of emotion in the Sims 3. Like these:

Screenshot-572.jpg

Screenshot-621.jpg

Screenshot-632.jpg
  • Options
    peoineepeoinee Posts: 2,183 Member
    edited May 2013
    CK213 wrote:
    Cinebar wrote:

Even more interesting if sims of different personalities responded to their "Training" differently.

HAHAHAHA i just had a thought with that "if only men were as easy to train" im sorry thats all i thought of with your last line.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    CK213 wrote:
    Cinebar wrote:

I agree. Having a rebellious Sim would be hilariously frustrating.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    CK213 wrote:
    They look at you, complain to you, and show you their glee. Their animations were a little more nuanced, so their emotions were that more believable. They also were vulnerable because they were subject to aspiration failure, harassment by enemies, and fears. I really cared about them because their world could come tumbling down.

TS3 sims don't actively connect with you. Their sometimes robotic animations break the magic. However, I do feel connected to my TS3 sims because I created them. I also feel connected because I make up stories for them and that is the only way I can project deeper characterization on them. I don't feel that connected to sims made by EA unless I add them to my story scenarios. I also don't feel much concern for them. There isn't much in their world worry about. Traits help because some of them are humorous and distinctive, but they can also feel superficial.

I do have a lot of TS3 sims that I am feel connected to. Some of them are basically immortal because I like them so much and want them to experience new EPs.

I doubt other simmers would feel the same connection I do for my sims. Like I said, TS3 sims don't actively connect with you. Other simmers didn't make all the choices I made in creating them, and probably wouldn't like my CC skins and eyes--yet another effort of mine to connect with my sims because I rejected the default skin and eyes.

So these are just a few of my TS3 sims. I like them, but it came about in a very different way than my TS2 sims.
    Screenshot-4049.jpg

Screenshot-3941.jpg

I love the Sims in your first picture, beautiful!
  • Options
    Jess1281Jess1281 Posts: 466 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm actually back playing the Sims 2 and I love my Sim Lilly, and her merry-be-got son Ray, via Don Lothario's ...assistance, ahem. And I've only got the base game and NL installed, lol! A lot of players don' seem to get attached to their S3 sims....An the only death that makes me sad is when a pet dies...Which I watched on YouTube because I've never played a family that long, I do more building in Sims 3...

Anyhow.

IMHO, Sims 3 lacks soul, it is kind of like watching an ant farm for hours on end, albeit a really pretty ant farm, but it doesn't as some have said, engage the player as previous games.

The characters are prefect no matter what, their personalities don't affect them, and nothing drastic or interesting happens and therefore they are unlovable/un-relatable.

I, also like many, hope Sims 4 is Sims 2 upgraded and with the elements that actually worked in S3 thrown in, most of which isn't sim related. The Skills, The Branching Careers with more Branches, The Bookstore that allows you to better customize what your sim knows (I just don't want my sims punished for trying to master all the skills this time around, I'm looking at you S3 with your oppurtunities)
  • Options
    AHeitlerAHeitler Posts: 123 New Member
    edited May 2013
    S3 has always been depressingly unstable for me and I've never managed to run to more than just over two generations before crash and burn sets in. I have saved my favourite sims many times, and play them often, but I've learned the hard way not to get too attached to them in a particular neighbourhood.

I'd love S4 to be stable enough to let me play how I want.
  • Options
    chantera89chantera89 Posts: 359 Member
    edited May 2013
    CK213 wrote:

Screenshot-4049.jpg

Screenshot-3941.jpg

i remember these sims!!!! I FOLLOWED THE STORY BIT BY BIT!!!
  • Options
    bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    edited May 2013
    I totally agree that a measure of connection is lacking, from TS2 to TS3, especially in raising kids. However, last night when I was playing I made sure I stayed zoomed in and actually watched what was going on - speed only on 1 - and it was amazing! There are some really neat animations in the Sims 3, especially if you let your sims have some interesting traits like insane, neurotic or evil. However, I don't think you should HAVE to have those traits to get interesting sims.

The only two sims I would never irrevocably kill and will always play are my simself and my simself-husband. We are immortal and frozen at young adult... not to say we haven't died once or twice to get ghost babies (:P), but those sims I have had for a long time. Once I had to start us again because of the save file glitching though, and that was DEVASTATING... oh... the gem collection... gone >_< (*shakes fist and cries WWWWHHHYYYYYYY??????* XD)

So I would like to see a wider range of sims being connectable. And I agree that it seems like you need to write a story with them to make the game interesting sometimes :P
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah. I miss the fact that the Sims connected to us as well though. In the Sims 3 they are not as aware of us, as they were in the Sims 2.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2013
    CK213 wrote:
    Cinebar wrote:

:mrgreen: Maybe I am nuts! But I swear in TS2 it was possible. As I said some Sims were dumber than others and never learned if they were hungry to eat first instead of playing the piano though their fun motive was full.

However, I did play Mr. Big in my game for a long time as a spy like 007.... :lol: and that Sim somehow learned by 'my training' to fix something to eat before and or use the bathroom before starting up on his intstruments or the computer.

Once he surprised me, o.k. several times..at one time in one world he owned several businesses and I had the espresso machine in one of them..I would have him eat, go bathroom etc. in that order. But the Sim was smarter than me...I stopped controlling him for a little while and he went go espresso 'first' then bathroom then ate on his own.

Guess that makes more sense because the espresso gave him energy fast and hunger points, and then the bathroom and then eat. Since he had increased his food intake a little with the espresso.

That Sim always showed up on any lot I was at with another Sim..(that is why he was played as 002) :lol:

He was everywhere other controlled Sims went. Once he walked in at a Landgrabb office I built for 'fun' while some were in a hottub, in Malcom's office, and or watching TV etc..big office building with perks..
    I was watching the TV (myself) while playing other Sims but watching one of Maxis TV programs..he walked in, went to the TV turned it off..looked up at the camera...clearly winked and walked out.

I was like wtheck just happened! I hadn't played the Sim in a Sim season or so..and now that was weird.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    LilySanchezLilySanchez Posts: 65 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I really like the idea of Sims 'learning' a routine. I think that would be an unique thing for The Sims 4 to implement.

I have had trouble connecting to my Sims in The Sims 3. They are kinda dumb, the routing is so bad it breaks my immersion at times and I see no real difference from one Sims I create to another Sim I create. I am really hoping for more emotion, funnier moments, and better interactions for The Sims 4.

I have connected with my most recent Sims. I have been using their smartphone to take pictures of the important moments in their life. Then I hang them on the wall. For some reason this has made me really attached. When they walk into the front hall I see all these pictures of moments they have had as a couple and it makes me smile. (I wish their was a wedding photographer, would of been so much better.) This current family is one of the first times I haven't been focused on skills to pass the time in my game.

Connection with Sims in a game has to do more with their humanity and their lives then doing a bunch of Opportunities, skilling, and collecting. I want to see more that makes a Sim something to connect with in The Sims 4.