The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Layerable clothing - PLEASE!!

Having just spent the last day looking on just about every CC site out there for some layerable accessories for my sims, I've decided to write this plea.

I know CC creators can make layerable accessories but it's a pain to use them. Since they have to be put in either the gloves or socks categories, it means I always end up having to leave something off. Also, whilst I (finally) found a t-shirt to use as an accessory, which means those skimpy dresses finally look a bit warmer for winter-time, I would love to find something I can wear on top of clothes.
For example, I downloaded some maxi dresses and I'd love my sims to wear a jumper or a shirt on top when it's cold outside.

So please, EA, please please please make clothes layerable.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    indyChickindyChick Posts: 1,159 Member
    edited May 2013
    YES.
  • Options
    Adventure4U1Adventure4U1 Posts: 239 Member
    edited May 2013
    Course. I want my sim to wear a nice dress and then a T-shirt and pants underneath

HOpeing the NPC's don't look wierd when you do it.
    Life is an Adventure
    Not a movie
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited May 2013
    I would absolutely love that!!

Layerable clothes and also separate accessories. That way we could even expand on accessories with sims' crafting skills within the game--like make some jewelry to add to their favourite outfit or knit a sweater they wear over their dress on a cold day!!
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    Cnstnc680Cnstnc680 Posts: 529 Member
    edited May 2013
    Adventure4U1 - I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but just in case, here's an idea of what I mean by layers -

http://queenoftheposhandbroke.blogspot.ie/2009/05/trend-alert-denim-jacket.html

Enkeli63 - that would be really cool. I remember in Sims 2 we could sew our own clothes but it was still fairly limited - I think there were only about 3 options.
  • Options
    CookietownCookietown Posts: 196 Member
    edited May 2013
    I would love layerable clothes and accessories. I like most of the hat options we have now but not the hair under them, I would like to pick the hair I like with the hat that I like. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes, that is also a good point! I never let my sims wear hats because it annoys me that one sims flowing locks suddenly become a bob when wearing a certain hat.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Cnstnc680 wrote:
    Adventure4U1 - I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but just in case, here's an idea of what I mean by layers -

http://queenoftheposhandbroke.blogspot.ie/2009/05/trend-alert-denim-jacket.html

Enkeli63 - that would be really cool. I remember in Sims 2 we could sew our own clothes but it was still fairly limited - I think there were only about 3 options.

It definitely was limited (sewing your own clothes) but it was a cool idea and it would be cooler if they expanded upon it in the future!

And the townies ... they do dress weird already, even without layering options. Sometimes it drives me nuts and I have to fix it, but sometimes it's really funny too. Currently I have a bar tender in a dive bar wearing some pretty cool looking threads (black leather and ripped up denim) and on top she's got a wedding veil :lol: If I could make the veil black, then it would be a cool look for her, but it's white and just crazy :wink:
    OriginID Starwing6

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I just finally found a long-sleeved t-shirt yesterday that is an accessory so I've been going around to all my townies and making them look warmer and less 🐸🐸🐸🐸. It's just made me wish that I had even more options.
  • Options
    MYPIESIMMYPIESIM Posts: 618 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Layers yes!! this is a big of my daily wardrobe, its very difficult to make a simself when they cant dress like you.

Accessories!! purses, scarves, hats to put on a hairstyle, not attached to a hairstyle

Piercings!! any body miss those? nose rings, snakebites, spider bites, angel bites!!

oh, and if they dont have height sliders, im gonna scream
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Scarves! My poor little sims have chilly-looking necks. I've downloaded a couple but I use them so much that my town is looking a bit repetitive.

Height sliders would be great but I can see why we mightn't - in terms of animations. Or they might have 3 preset heights - short, medium, tall.
  • Options
    ewilson1114ewilson1114 Posts: 2,513 Member
    edited May 2013
    Yes please!
  • Options
    Jess1281Jess1281 Posts: 466 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I been hoping this feature from one of the OLD console versions would eventually make its way into the PC version forever. I support this idea whole-heartedly. Sims 4 had better make up for Sims 3 shortcomings and then some!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    What console version allowed it? I've only ever played PC and Sims 2 Castaway for PS2. Was it properly layerable? How did it work in terms of meshes?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't dreamed of asking for piercings because of the way EA has done it before--but then I saw a character creation tool for a different game where the piercings actually looked cool 8) I'd like EA to do it well!
    OriginID Starwing6

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Ya, I'm not a huge piercing fan myself but it would be nice to have a few grungy types walking around the town! :) I downloaded some really grungy boots recently and they really don't suit our fresh-faced teenagers.
  • Options
    Jess1281Jess1281 Posts: 466 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Cnstnc680 wrote:
    What console version allowed it? I've only ever played PC and Sims 2 Castaway for PS2. Was it properly layerable? How did it work in terms of meshes?

I think it was the PS2/Xbox/GameCube version of The Sims or Urbz that allowed for layers, because I can remember when reviews poured in over it, I was all "And they couldn't do that for the PC players....cheap fatherless offspring"

And I'd like to add jewelry on both sides of the body again from Sims 2, Hats and hair accents being separate of Hair styles so you can add whatever you want to the hair style you like.
  • Options
    mysterymarkmysterymark Posts: 15
    edited May 2013
    Cnstnc680 wrote:
    Having just spent the last day looking on just about every CC site out there for some layerable accessories for my sims, I've decided to write this plea.

I know CC creators can make layerable accessories but it's a pain to use them. Since they have to be put in either the gloves or socks categories, it means I always end up having to leave something off. Also, whilst I (finally) found a t-shirt to use as an accessory, which means those skimpy dresses finally look a bit warmer for winter-time, I would love to find something I can wear on top of clothes.
    For example, I downloaded some maxi dresses and I'd love my sims to wear a jumper or a shirt on top when it's cold outside.

So please, EA, please please please make clothes layerable.

Thank you.

OMG!!!!!!! I'm SO SO SO GLAD YOU THOUGHT OF THAT!!!!!!!
    However if they do go through with this idea, I hope that they don't put specific tops/dresses/outfits/pants/skirts/jackets/etc... layerable. UGH!! That would be so irritating, It would make more sense to make all clothes, and types of clothing layerable. You know, so you have more creativity! :lol::mrgreen::lol:
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I've dedicated a lot of thought to this (just in case they ever give me a ring to ask for my advice :) ) and I think what would be great would be if when you put a top on top of another one that the other top would become a skin-tight mesh. Cause otherwise you have the problems of meshes not fitting together. But if you have a baggy green jumper say, and you put a jacket on top of it, the jumper mesh would just become a green skin-tight jumper, with the same design but no mesh. Not sure if that's explained very clearly...

I tried to find the layerable clothes that came with the sims console game that Jess mentioned, to see how they did it, but I can't find it.

It would be annoying if only some clothes were layerable. Because I know I'd always want something else!
  • Options
    GothicansGothicans Posts: 129
    edited May 2013
    For the love of god, YES! WE NEED THIS! And layerable piercings too! I hope we get an option for jackets to be layerable at least because it's annoying and would add so much to the game.
  • Options
    VedaSwordVedaSword Posts: 143 New Member
    edited May 2013
    This would not be hard to do, at all! The Sims team could simply add 2 or 3 "layer"
    slots in the tops category, and we could browse by the three layers.
    Layer 1: Tank tops, t-shirts, bandeaus
    Layer 2: blouses, layerable tops
    Layer 3: jackets, sweaters, coats

Ooh- an expansion of that - sims could take on or off layers depending on the weather. Super hot day? Your sim might take off their "layer 2" blouse and walk around in a tank top. Freezing cold? Your sim would not go out without a "layer 3" such as a jacket or coat. This would add a lot of variety to sims' wardrobes without straying too far from the original options that a player chose.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    That would be really cool. And I know I keep saying it but dresses should be in layer 2 too. So that you can put a t-shirt underneath or else a jumper or jacket over it. Or both, obviously.
    I think if the Sims 4 allows this I'd buy it for that alone - everything else regardless.
  • Options
    LilySanchezLilySanchez Posts: 65 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I like this idea. I thought this is what 'outerwear' as a category with Sims 3 Seasons was going to do. It doesn't make much sense for a Sim to be wearing one thing and then change into a completely different outfit to go outside when it's cold. You put on a coat or a jacket when you go outside.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I know!!!! It annoys me no end that a sim wearing a skirt is suddenly in jeans, enters a bar and oh look! Back to a skirt.
  • Options
    Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    edited May 2013
    I think it'd be nice too!
  • Options
    xxtwilight19xxxxtwilight19xx Posts: 1,084 Member
    edited May 2013
    AGREED.

Also a little bit of concern with NPC's but still a good idea. NPC's always look stupid though. Hopefully that will be fixed.