The Starving Artist Challenge
If you don't like how quickly your sims get rich, or if you just enjoy really challenging game-play, then this one's for you! Here's how it works...
You create a household of any number of writers and/or painters and have them earn money only by opportunities related to their chosen skill
. This is potentially a very open-ended challenge: the only aim is to survive, from generation to generation if you are playing legacy-style, or until your sim dies of old age if you want a shorter challenge.
This challenge really works best with painters, but I have successfully played it through with a writer, and I'm sure it could be adapted for musicians too. The Household & House
- Create your household, consisting of 1-8 sims, in CAS. For each sim, you must decide which of the arts she/he will pursue.
- Move your sims in and build them their house. It should have only the cheapest and most essential items. Remember that the nicer your house, the higher your bills will be.
- Your sims may get married, move friends or spouses in, have children, and/or adopt pets, but the additional sims may only earn money on the same terms as the original sims (see below: Earning Money). Try not to move a rich spouse in - it's against the spirit of the challenge.
- If you move sims out, you may not use the 'Kick Out' option: you must pay for their house. Earning Money & Surviving
- Once you have built your house, use the familyFunds cheat
to reduce your household cash to 400 simoleons.
- Your sims may earn money only from opportunities related to their chosen skill. Writers can 'practice writing', but may not write books unless prompted to by an opportunity
. Paintings may be stored in your family/personal inventory, used to decorate the house, or given away as gifts, but may not be sold
. Artists earn money only by delivering their paintings to sims or rabit holes as part of an opportunity.
- You may not
earn money by any of the following: jobs or professions; opportunities not related to your sim's chosen skill; selling any harvestables, relics, or collectables; selling wedding/attraction gifts.
- No money or mood cheats are allowed.
- You may redeem LTR points, but you may not sell any objects purchase with them. 'Inheritance' and 'No Bills Ever' are not allowed, and you may not wish for riches from the genie lamp.
- You may not use the 'Quick Meal' option from the fridge. If you are playing with free will on, I suggest turning the frige around to face the wall when you are not using it.
- If they can afford it, you may send your sims on holiday or to university, but home rules apply so you are not allowed to accept any adventures, opportunities, or dares not related to your sim's chosen skill if simoleons are part of the reward.
You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats)
, and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com