Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Opinions on Goth makeover?

Comments

• BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    edited May 2022
    QueenMercy wrote: »

Honestly new!teen Alexander isn't that bad as long as you shrink down the nose a tad (a big nose is fine, TS2 Alexander always had one but this one feels a bit too big for his face). Old teen Alexander had a whole schlew of problems that I feel like the pic on the left doesn't fully convey.

That being said, they really need to design kids with their older age stages in mind.
  • Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    Wow, I am surprised by some of the reactions. I LOVE the updated looks. So much OG vibes! And I actually like that Bella's iconic dress is now her party dress. It feels fitting to a new game. She still wears it, but in the right setting. I love that Cassandra still has her pigtails, but an updated version.. I love that Morty is wearing a zebra print speedo for swimming, and heart boxers; it feels so right..

I do wish they had finished them with likes and dislikes, but overall I like them. I think they are much better.

Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • tatselktatselk Posts: 519 Member

My ranking of the madeover Goths (in order of preference):

1. Mortimer: <3 99.9% approval of his strong Gomez Addams vibe! I don't think I would really change a thing about Mortimer's new look, other than maybe to give him a more vintage-y hairstyle.

2. Cassandra: :) I like how Cassandra now looks more like her TS2 self. But I think her clothes really should have been alot more Dark Academia-ish to fit her gothic vibe.

3. Bella: :/ I'm abit conflicted about Bella's new look. On the one hand, it is great that she looks more like her TS2 self. On the other hand, Bella's new look is also abit "flat" and ordinary-looking.

4. Alexander: :s Undoubtedly the worst of the makeovers. Not even going to bother listing out everything that I think is wrong with his new look. I think I would probably just get rid of the new Alexander and replace him with the old Alexander in my game.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited May 2022
    So here's how I feel about this entire make-over thing:

It's sort of comparable to a TV show you've been watching for years; You're familiar with the cast, you may even have grown fond of the characters. Suddenly, after all those years, the entire cast is replaced with actors who ethnically "LOOK" more accurate "because that's how the characters were originally written ". Wowee, thanks Production Company. You should've considered that while in pre-production a decade ago.

Here's the thing: I've already accepted The Goths as the characters they represent in this particular world given to me all those years ago. There was nothing wrong with them. Why change them? It almost feels like betrayal. Almost. Why now? Did players actually complain? Were The Goths not "realistic" enough?

The Sims 4 Goth family will never, ever look like the Goth families that inhabited the worlds in Sims 1 (same low poly face syndrome), Sims 2 (same long face syndrome) or Sims 3 (same plum face syndrome), because newsflash: Different art style. Different facial structures. Different shading, lighting, absolutely everything different.

Is it so hard to accept The Goths and Calientes etc. for who they are in THIS iteration? I mean, folks who think the Townies are not good enough will drag them all the way trough CAS anyway.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with what this new family LOOKS like, I'm wondering what the issue was with the original Sims 4 Goth family in the first place?

Having said all that, I don't play with any of the Townies, I create my own cast, although I always enjoyed having original S4 Bella around. Attractive an enigmatic looking Bella is now replaced with some ordinary looking lady who lives across the street, probably pretending to be a secret agent, but really she just works as an accountant. For a small company that produces...cheap cat litter trays. At least new Morty looks like he could be original Morty's handsome sibling. The kids....I mean...sure. I don't recognize them. I don't get it, but then again, I'm not very intelligent.

But hey, just because I don't get it, doesn't mean I really care. o:)

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    As a player i have no comments to say on the subject but the makeover is good
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    I don't mind how they look in this update, except for Alexander when aged up. (I mean, my god, why did they bother to do this update and not check his older look.) But are these updates really only going to be cosmetic? No likes/dislikes, no connection to other sims, no lore? I don't get it. Anyone who had issues with skin tone from previous iterations could easily just take them into CAS and make those changes to their liking. I guess it's fine that they want to correct a mistake they made 8 years ago. But I'm attached to the Goths after a few years of playing the sims 4 and giving them my own makeovers. Did we need whole new versions? Couldn't the time and effort be spent on better things?

If this is part of the lore update then I don't think that word means what they think it means.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,946 Member

It's sort of comparable to a TV show you've been watching for years; You're familiar with the cast, you may even have grown fond of the characters. Suddenly, after all those years, the entire cast is replaced with actors who ethnically "LOOK" more accurate "because that's how the characters were originally written ". Wowee, thanks Production Company. You should've considered that while in pre-production a decade ago.

Actually yes this is exactly how i feel about these new sims and I also hate when they change actors midway or like last 2 episodes is tbh worse cause you don't even have time to like them
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    I don't like them. Alexander looks so bad when aged up, which is something they definitely should've looked at when making him. Bella looks... boring. Her original features were different and iconic, now she just looks like a randomly generated townie... also, why doesn't she have a chin? They should've just changed the skin tones, maybe updated some outfits, and made Bella's makeup less heavy (the blush was very extreme)
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I already gave Bella a makeover a long time ago. I even made different timeline versions of her from Ancient Times to Medieval to Georgian to 20th Century to Futuristic. All her selves are saved in the Gallery under SEREFRAS if anyone is interested. ;)
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    I'm not even close to be famous on Twitter, but I decided to make a poll. At the moment I see that we have a traditional communities opinions. 50% for old Ghots and 50% for new Ghots :D

Personally as I said in a different thread I'm dissapointed even if I had no expectations. I was thinking that we receive lore update, likes and dislikes, relations, small changes as nails ect, but we received total mess. Bella no longer looks like Bella for me, Cassandra in my opinion looks older and I can't see a teen in her new version, Alexander is a total mistake, Mortimer is ok, but I can't stand that EA decided to use only black-red clothes. What about the skintone, maybe I'm controversial but I think that the previouse Bella's skintone was closer to the orginal one. Lighter, but closer. Currently Bella has a darker skintone, but the shade is cooler and very far from the native-latin touch.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    The new Mortimer is ok, he looks kinda gangsterish, like he could be a lower level mob boss to me. Which means he is marginally less boring. Bella...eh, she just looks older, the new one isn't as pretty. I liked the original better, why couldn't they just darken her skin and adjust that awful blush? Alexander is ok, but those images of how he ages up - AAAK! Really dreadful. Cassandra I don't like at all. I love the original Cassie, she was so cute with her round face and bright eyes. She is now completely unrecognizable! Again, why not just darken her skin a bit, if that was what they wanted?
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited May 2022

Here's the thing: I've already accepted The Goths as the characters they represent in this particular world given to me all those years ago. There was nothing wrong with them. Why change them? It almost feels like betrayal. Almost. Why now? Did players actually complain? Were The Goths not "realistic" enough?

Yeah, I am starting to feel like this too. Of course we have accepted them, we have been following this "TV show" for so long and now we are going to change how these characters look because people were not happy with how they looked 8 years ago?
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,946 Member
    edited May 2022
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    I'm not even close to be famous on Twitter, but I decided to make a poll. At the moment I see that we have a traditional communities opinions. 50% for old Ghots and 50% for new Ghots :D

Don't have twitter but I wonder how different the poll would go on forums or would it be the same hmm

I shall create one and link it here
    Here you go
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,030 Member
    The way I see it, people hated the way they looked and complained - EA changed them - now people hate the way they look and complain. I think that poll is probably rather accurate even if it is small as those who are indifferent or like the new change will be less likely to speak up on forums and in comments than people who feel strongly about the issue or hate it. That's why negative views on any forum for any topic will seem more common than positive views.

What I like about Sims in general, and what many seem to forget, is that no one is forced to use these new Goths - or the old ones. Change them to whatever you like in CAS, or use the old ones as they were, or the old ones but changed, or these new ones if you prefer. It really is up to you. So we really don't need to care about changes like this because we can change whatever we want with the premades if we want to. I will probably change Cassandra back in terms of clothing, hair and glasses - though most seem to be pleased with her makeover I find her too drab - and I will definitely alter Alexanders nose size and change Mortimers jacket back to what it was while keeping Bella as she is. Does it bother me wildly that I will make these changes? Not much, no. It's really not that big of a deal to me. And I have old saves to play if I don't want to change anything at all.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    I'm pretty indifferent, I usually just delete the Goths anyway.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    logion wrote: »
    cyncie wrote: »
    So, we complained for 8 years that the Goths don’t look like their TS2 counterparts and were “whitewashed” (not ethnically accurate). Are we now complaining that they don’t look like TS4 Goths and are too accurate? Because, either way, we do have CAS on our side.

These makeovers was always going to divide the community... There will be those that will like the redesign, and those that don't like it, even if you can replace them in CAS.

Can you get the originals back after the update if you didn't save them prior to your library?
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    logion wrote: »
    cyncie wrote: »
    So, we complained for 8 years that the Goths don’t look like their TS2 counterparts and were “whitewashed” (not ethnically accurate). Are we now complaining that they don’t look like TS4 Goths and are too accurate? Because, either way, we do have CAS on our side.

These makeovers was always going to divide the community... There will be those that will like the redesign, and those that don't like it, even if you can replace them in CAS.

Can you get the originals back after the update if you didn't save them prior to your library?

I would bet that someone will upload the originals to the Gallery and you'd be able to D/L them to your game to save. Only problem is every time you start a new game you'd have to replace them again.
    @Chicklet453681 Thanks for the response, that is what I thought.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,809 Member
    @DesertSimmer1971 If you have an active save that you started prior to the update they will still be in there in their original form. The update only changes them in new saves.
    I haven't updated my game yet, so hopefully I can pull them off my other save file, unless it replaces because it won't let you load the game without updating first. thanks
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,809 Member
    edited May 2022
    Even if it updates it won't touch the ones that are already in saves, those are safe. Even if you haven't played the household they're still in that save in their old form. As I've changed my mind on them I went back and saved the old one to my library.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    @DesertSimmer1971

Just and FYI, I was able to D/L the Original Goths from The Gallery just now, so in the event something would happen to go wonky when you update you can still get them from the Gallery.

In my most recent save the Goths have been made over by me, but I wanted a back up just in case for when/if I start a new save. I'm not really caring for the new ones and feel like others do about after all this time, it's like the characters were swapped out.
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    edited May 2022
    Really I think they look fine minus Alexander. Cassandra needs a new outfit mostly so that when she ages up she still doesn't look like a school-student.

But Alexander... Oh boy, take him back into CAS and play with genetics on him! Lets just say he doesn't age up gracefully at all, which makes it clear the devs built Alex as a child and tried to model him from there rather than aging him down after making him for a more human look when he grows up.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Sthenastia wrote: »

Don't have twitter but I wonder how different the poll would go on forums or would it be the same hmm

I shall create one and link it here
    Here you go

At the moment also the old version of Goths is on the top.