Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How much longer can you tolerate Sims 4's lifespan?

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2022
    I hope Sims 5 comes out the earliest it realistically can - Fall 2023 (2 years)
    deustrek wrote: »
    Well, before release of My Buggy Stories I was really holding out for the possibility of future content which specifically interested me and was happy to continue along with TS4 indefinitely. Now having seen a spotlight on the limitations of the current engine I'm not as sure. Still I REALLY am NOT looking forward to the idea of spending even more time and money on yet another entirely new game that also has minimal, bare-bones base launch content like we did with this game. EA are geniuses, they and we know that it is a business model that has worked well for them, they will repeat this model as they have in the past. I was once upon a time very happy with TS3. Now ~10 years and +/- $1000 later spent on TS4, I think I am still happier with TS3... not excited about a another do-over with this black box that could be TS5. I'll probably be rebooting TS3 and surfing for mods instead me thinks

I agree and I haven't purchased the latest pack as the packs are becoming less of what it was in the past and it appears EA/Maxis is transitioning to Kits now. I was okay with Sims 3 even with the buggy IP and it had more options than what options Sims 4 could ever offer me. Sims 4 for me even with the performance tampered down is becoming just as buggy as Sims 3 was supposedly buggy. I say it is due to poor quality testing and other things, I however am not waiting for a Sims 5.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited March 2022
    I'm fine playing the Sims 4 for quite a few more years - End of 2025 to 2026 (4-5 years)
    well now that ts4 is having this buggy laggy mess i still don't feel like moving to ts5 is solution and it does make me even more against releasing ts5 anytime soon

i don't expect to jump into ts5 anyway given all the multiplayer online nonsense they keep talking about

but ts4 at least shouldn't end as laggy mess like ts3 did

at that point it would be just repeating pattern of

"game broken? little hole in ship? abandon the ship. build Titanic."

which honestly does not promise great future for ts5 either if thats the ending note

also they seem to be having problems with releasing working content these days with working from home and all kinda stuff so you really wouldn't want to rush another base game out at this point anyway
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    Other. I have little to no interest in Sims 5 and will keep playing Sims 4 untill I either get bored or the bugs will get so bad that it becomes unplayable, whichever happens first.
  • SimCrazySimCrazy Posts: 9,908 Member
    I can't take it any more, the game is full of bugs, lags to no end, and is downright boring to play. I've been playing TS3 instead.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    SimCrazy wrote: »
    I can't take it any more, the game is full of bugs, lags to no end, and is downright boring to play. I've been playing TS3 instead.

The error code 0 is so disappointing, especially since Neighborhood Stories was a nice improvement.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited April 2022
    Honestly, at this point I just want them to add the remaining updates I've been waiting for, add the major occults we're STILL missing (werewolves and fairies thanks), and definitely fix every bug that's making it unplayable right now. I really do not care about them releasing more kits. More normal packs, I'm fine with. But kits? No. Already too much.

Basically I want to play a whole Sims 4 game that I can actually keep my mods in without worrying about updating them every month.

Also, Sims 2 and 3 both lasted five years each.
    Sims 4, on the other hand..... it's kinda past its expiration date? It came out in 2014. It's 2022 now.
    I'm ready for the next game to come out. I'd like to get to a point where I can play Sims 4 without having to patch it all the time.
    That's really part of why Sims 3 is so nice right now.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited April 2022
    I'm always years late to move on to the next game so I'm in no hurry (heck, I started TS4 in april 2021). Also what little I've heard and suspect myself about TS5 (knowing how EA operates) I'm not excited at all and might never actually get it. The only reason I'd have any interest for it at this point is that it'd be nice to have a finished TS4 game so the cycle of updates breaking mods can end. Still, there are bug fixes and features I'd like to see before the end. Them releasing the next game while this one is still a buggy mess would just sour my opinion of TS5 and the company even more.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,832 Member
    I'm fine playing the Sims 4 for quite a few more years - End of 2025 to 2026 (4-5 years)
    I'm in no hurry to move on. Bug riddled as this game is I still love it.
  • Allison18Allison18 Posts: 399 Member
    I can wait several years before the release of the Sims 5 - End of 2024 (3 years)
    I can spend a couple more years with the game but mostly because I don't want TS5 to be a rushed, half-baked mess like TS4 was. If they're going to have an online component (which will likely be the case) I want it to be a separate feature that works with no bugs and will have no impact on traditional game play (playing individually). I want to feel excited by the franchise again :/
    ch_dadpost.gif
    Allison18 wrote: »
    I can spend a couple more years with the game but mostly because I don't want TS5 to be a rushed, half-baked mess like TS4 was. If they're going to have an online component (which will likely be the case) I want it to be a separate feature that works with no bugs and will have no impact on traditional game play (playing individually). I want to feel excited by the franchise again :/

True! I want a fresh start on the franchise with a robust and stable engine built in Unreal Engine 5. However, I want to give the Sims team as much time as it needs.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
    edited April 2022
    I've been playing Sims 4 since 2015. I never played the previous ones, and never will. And i am not starting over on any other game, ever. Any, ever ! Sims 4 and nothing else for me lol ty

It's your choice, but wow this makes me feel sad. It's the Allegory of the Cave right here.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I've been playing Sims 4 since 2015. I never played the previous ones, and never will. And i am not starting over on any other game, ever. Any, ever ! Sims 4 and nothing else for me lol ty

It's your choice, but wow this makes me feel sad. It's the Allegory of the Cave right here.

Lol. Well, if we are going to be philosophical, is Sims 5 really the ray of sunshine? How do you know? It might strike down like lightening instead on my Sims and give them an ugly potato appearance, cost monthly subscription, require constant online store purchasing, have a big open laggy world I need a $10,000 laptop to play, and have even less gameplay features since I seem to have got less gameplay then Sims 3, and Sims 3 less than Sims 2, and Sims 2 less than Sims 1 ... Just saying. Sims 5 might be just like walking around and talking to other Sim players in a pretty world while paying high prices to place things in the world ... the shadows on the wall don't look good. I want to stay in my cave :wink:

It doesn't matter when it comes out to me, but I would just really like Sims 4 to keep going alongside Sims 5, just in case I can't run the new game or like it. And I want them to fix all the bugs, add more packs, and keep refreshing existing packs. I personally couldn't play Sims 3 on my computer and was happy I got to keep playing Sims 2 while Sims 3 was going so I'm hoping for the same thing, especially since it takes them years to even add toddlers, seasons, vampires etc.
    edited April 2022
    Elliandre wrote: »

is Sims 5 really the ray of sunshine? How do you know?

My comment was a backwards-looking statement replying to a comment about never playing or wanting to play a previous Sims game. That’s what I meant about the Allegory of the Cave. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I’m not at all mad if someone feels that Sims 4 is their favorite game, provided they are informed enough to hold that opinion.

But to the new point you are making about the Sims 5…you’re right. I have no idea if it’s going to be better or worse. I absolutely believe it has the potential to be better, but the right choices have to be made by VP of Creative, Lyndsay.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    @simmerorigin You are right I hope they make good creative choices that are new and interesting. I liked reading all your brainstorming threads on Sims 5. Most importantly though is I think they need to have programmers make the game run smoothly with fewer bugs and create more interactive, immersive gameplay and have a major overhaul to relationships and personalities of the Sims.
  • spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    JunkyPoem wrote: »
    @cyncie
    I know, the game's all kindsa broken, sparks no joy for some & still they play on...

@GirlFromIpanema
    Don't have real high hopes or dreams for Sims 5; it's a game. If it flops like Sims Online or Sim City Online, someone will pick up the torch & create something else like Palia, Haunted Chocolatier & maybe even Paralives. And until then, I've got Stardew.

I don't see how You can even compare the Sims to Stardew Valley or some of those other games? It is no where near the same type of game. I have been playing the Sims since the beginning of time when the Sim could not even leave the house, lol. I am pretty happy with Sims4 but for a few things I find really flat. I think they need a wider range of animations for each personality type and trait. That would be all it would take to breath more life in to them, we just need EA/ and Maxis to feel like doing it and investing into it. As far as Sims5 Go's if it is going to be a shallow hallowed out online version I am not interested at all. I can wait. They also said Sims4 was going to be online and that did not happen so there's that. I just hope whatever happens its not more of the same boring, same stale animations, whatever is socially popular at the time content. I am so over cottage core and fashion doll stuff. I would be happy playing the Sims4 for a much longer time if they just fix some of the bugs and make interesting content.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    spend4zen wrote: »
    @cyncie
    I know, the game's all kindsa broken, sparks no joy for some & still they play on...

@GirlFromIpanema
    Don't have real high hopes or dreams for Sims 5; it's a game. If it flops like Sims Online or Sim City Online, someone will pick up the torch & create something else like Palia, Haunted Chocolatier & maybe even Paralives. And until then, I've got Stardew.

I don't see how You can even compare the Sims to Stardew Valley or some of those other games? It is no where near the same type of game. I have been playing the Sims since the beginning of time when the Sim could not even leave the house, lol. I am pretty happy with Sims4 but for a few things I find really flat. I think they need a wider range of animations for each personality type and trait. That would be all it would take to breath more life in to them, we just need EA/ and Maxis to feel like doing it and investing into it. As far as Sims5 Go's if it is going to be a shallow hallowed out online version I am not interested at all. I can wait. They also said Sims4 was going to be online and that did not happen so there's that. I just hope whatever happens its not more of the same boring, same stale animations, whatever is socially popular at the time content. I am so over cottage core and fashion doll stuff. I would be happy playing the Sims4 for a much longer time if they just fix some of the bugs and make interesting content.

I would like to point out that my comment quoted here was misinterpreted by @JunkyPoem. My point was that the majority of Sims players seemed to be enjoying the game enough that they weren’t quite ready to abandon it, regardless of the OP’s position that the game was only being “tolerated.”
    cyncie wrote: »
    @cyncie

@GirlFromIpanema

I would like to point out that my comment quoted here was misinterpreted by @JunkyPoem. My point was that the majority of Sims players seemed to be enjoying the game enough that they weren’t quite ready to abandon it, regardless of the OP’s position that the game was only being “tolerated.”

Feel free to at me. I’m right here.

I’m not going to say I’m not biased because of course I am. I think the Sims 4 is the most inferior entry in the franchise. If you sensed I have negativity when I used the word tolerated you would be correct.

This is my thread. But you are welcome to think differently. And if you don’t identify with “tolerating” the Sims 4, you can explain your position, as many people have. But I think you did that when I first posted this.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that I don’t think you have enough of a foundation to claim that the majority of Sims fans are not tolerating the Sims 4. I could just as easily show you the poll here where people overwhelmingly have “rock bottom morale” or how youtubers are becoming more vocal about their discontent. It’s definitely controversial. But yes, “tolerate” doesn’t speak for everyone.

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2022
    @cyncie

@GirlFromIpanema

I’m not going to say I’m not biased because of course I am. I think the Sims 4 is the most inferior entry in the franchise. If you sensed I have negativity when I used the word tolerated you would be correct.

This is my thread. But you are welcome to think differently. And if you don’t identify with “tolerating” the Sims 4, you can explain your position, as many people have. But I think you did that when I first posted this.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that I don’t think you have enough of a foundation to claim that the majority of Sims fans are not tolerating the Sims 4. I could just as easily show you the poll here where people overwhelmingly have “rock bottom morale” or how youtubers are becoming more vocal about their discontent. It’s definitely controversial. But yes, “tolerate” doesn’t speak for everyone.

I agree with most of your opinions, and I agree with your assessment that Sims 4 is inferior to the other when it comes down to comparing for there were other versions before Sims 4 so one can compare but it is still subjective but for me when comparing Sims 4 features to either Sims 2 or Sims 3, Sims 4 has less features and for me they are not even mind blowing. I do not give kudos to a game that is part of a series that is stripped of features that normally would make it to the next version along with the new features that would be in the new version and sadly EA/Maxis either took some of the features that once was free to use and turned into something you now have to pay for, and you have no access to those tools or they dropped in some watered down features. I tolerated the game for a little bit but now I just do not buy into it for it has lost it pizazz and all the releases are same old, same old.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2022
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    @cyncie

@GirlFromIpanema

I agree with most of your opinions, and I agree with your assessment that Sims 4 is inferior to the other when it comes down to comparing for there were other versions before Sims 4 so one can compare but it is still subjective but for me when comparing Sims 4 features to either Sims 2 or Sims 3, Sims 4 has less features and for me they are not even mind blowing. I do not give kudos to a game that is part of a series that is stripped of features that normally would make it to the next version along with the new features that would be in the new version and sadly EA/Maxis either took some of the features that once was free to use and turned into something you now have to pay for, and you have no access to those tools or they dropped in some watered down features. I tolerated the game for a little bit but now I just do not buy into it for it has lost it pizazz and all the releases are same old, same old.

I agree. I liked TS4 in an o.k. way. However, it's long life isn't brining any new innovations to The Sims, therefore, it's pretty much stale to me and has been for quite a few years. I was expecting a lot from Maxis, with innovation, something that just hadn't been done before in the other three. There isn't much here if we look at what is, was and may be. (yet to come)/

A few things yes, such as multi-tasking in ways like eat and talk and watch TV...though I can show some this was all possible before other than the watching TV while eating. But it's not really multitasking when the Sim stops watching TV to chew and finish up the meal. It's more like start and stop animations and not even the good kind back in the day with clay animations.

I really believe Maxis has found out it's very hard to impress veteran players who know what they can do but haven't done, nor going to do. It's why they have to keep getting new players who have never played The Sims and are oblivious of just how trivial some of the content really is at this point in the entire series. It's almost laughable if it wasn't so sad.

Anyone could use a bad analogy of new cars...there is electric, and they drive themselves...TS4 is over here saying look we gave you some new floor mats. ;)

We reworded some text popups. We added some plants, we added some tasks and annoying phone calls. Woo fun! While others are getting on private flights to outer space. TS4's technology and gameplay is left in the dust at this point.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I am not sure how to answer. I have no real interest in Sims 5 because of the whispers of it possibly being online. I also have NO desire to start over with another base game without seasons etc. The base game and the features will really have to be innovative for me to jump on board. I can't imagine that happening because we will be sold the innovation(if there is any) in an expansion pack. If they could just fix the musical chairs and add cars and shopping centers, I think I would be pretty satisfied.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I want to play the Sims 4 for much longer - End of 2027+ (6+ years)
    Until they finally put in Sims 4 the following:
    Playable Babies
    Permanent Plantsims
    Fairies
    Genies
    Werewolves
    Spiral Stairs
    Heartshape Beds
    Proper Family Tree (Step-families/In-Laws/Half-Siblings/Great-Grandparents etc...)
    Color Slides for eyes, hair, clothing, accessories, footwears, objects & fences/gates
    Base having a complete fix
    Aliens & Scientist Career being fixed & refresh
    Secret Lab in Strangerville working directly with the Get To Work Scientist Career
    All Hidden worlds can be livable
    All vacation worlds can be livable
    The Motherplant & Agnes Crumblebottom can be deleted
    Phones can be toggles off
    Time Travel to the past & future can be possible
    Medieval World with dragons, horses & unicorns
    Large Dark playable world with Lunar Moon settings
    Actual Superheroes/Mutants sims
    Superfriend/Xmen Careers
    Actual Supervillians sims
    Legion of Doom Careers
    Catbuglar Career
    And whatever else is still missing in Sims 4
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I want to play the Sims 4 for much longer - End of 2027+ (6+ years)
    In the years since my original comment, I see no reason to change, not because I am thrilled with TS4, but because I am not convinced TS5 will be even at current level, let alone be better. TS4 was a step down from its predecessors in just about everything but visuals. In view of EA's performance, especially lately, TS5 could easily be yet another step down of similar magnitude. The threat of being online has not, from what I've seen, been rescinded. That bodes ill for simming as we know it, particularly for the sims themselves. EA will likely take full advantage of the technological improvements to make a game that is oh so beautiful, but I fear nothing will be done for better gameplay or sims.
    I'm hoping for a Sims 5 announcement this year, but I'm not banking on it.
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    With how much we've invested into this game, I think 4 should go on for much longer. EA just needs to get on their A game and FIX IT.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
    Missmagoo2 wrote: »
    With how much we've invested into this game, I think 4 should go on for much longer. EA just needs to get on their A game and FIX IT.

I get that perspective, although I strongly believe that certain aspects of the game are unfixable given the rocky foundation of the Sims 4 base game that came out of Project Olympus.