Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you think about kits now 6 months later?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
The user and all related content has been deleted.

What do you think about kits now 6 months later? 193 votes

Like the idea of kits
23%
BluegayleJaiSeaIceyJBlkBarbiegalJueJuekokoro80simgirl1010cchant86JestTruDarkLady2788catloverplayerRepogreydonnbevilleskybird14RamblineRoseDragonAge_300905ClassicalSimelelunicyjcp011c2 46 votes
Kinda like the idea of kits
13%
EvvieSimmerSimmervillencisGibbs02KennziKaigeashcrash19GracieO312drakharisEvaliynImSandskappowanLiELFHopeyStarrCattyBetsythatsnotswegBriettaniMichaelRavenSpitAmapola76nerdfashionDaWaterRatPurpleHeather 27 votes
Neutral
21%
Akl500Pauroraael14CK213Sara1010PlisamwittBeardedgeekMariefoxprice83Paigeisin5freindlylolloubyloulouVageniusalanmichael1barracuda1574SimplyJenPlumbobCrossingspice3Astro100LilDreamsOldeseadoggemusteni 42 votes
Kinda dislike the idea of kits
11%
alexspoom13AyradyssIsb917justChrisUkhaneulTorieKhrisstyneemerebixtersEnkiSchmidtKyreRoenTomatplanteNathanAwheelochlogionLairaPreCiiousRouensimsAngeliqueAdelaideponyfhtagn 22 votes
Dislike the idea of kits
26%
Frn0731GoldmoldarMstybl95Icewolfalan650111Colorist40PlayerSinger2010EvilWitch83MelisendremildredalienCinebartaydevxMyrtheauginstineHarukotyanwormofthebookhalloweenchildAPottsDevilNDisguisesnoepjes1210 52 votes
Other
2%
bshag4lvCAPTAIN_NXR7MDianaSimsMadIris 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited September 2021
    Dislike the idea of kits
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,919 Member
    Like the idea of kits
    I suppose I vote with totally opposite opinion :)
    I do NOT have bust kit, okay and not sure will I. But I absolutely use and like a lot all the others :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    6 months (and 5 kits) is a bit too early to have a solid idea how things will go in the future, but based on what we've had so far I'm not all that impressed. I love the Courtyard Oasis one and bought it, but of the other 4, I hate 2, one is a probably-not, and the other is a maybe (if kits ever go on sale or become eligible to bundle with other packs). My main concern is that producing these and trying to pump them out like handfuls of penny candy might begin to influence or even diminish the quality and quantity we get from other pack types.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I like the idea of kits. Small bits of stuff that runs a lower chance of breaking than CC - and it's available for Console players. That some of the kits might have worked as parts of existing packs doesn't bother me either, as I assume that they didn't have either the time or budget to include it in the original pack (and it's not suited for a refresh, which seems to be more systems than BB/CAS)

But the execution I'm more middle of the road on. I like building, but three build kits out of five total is a bit much. I have no plans to get bust the dust ever, but I like the idea of chores like that being able to be added piecemeal, rather than as part of a larger pack I may otherwise be interested in. And I haven't gotten the throwback fit kit either, but that's because it just hasn't been important to get it. But I do keep hoping that they'll release another CAS kit.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Neutral
    I find them boring to be honest, I thought they would be a good opportunity to add in one or two gameplay items here and there that don't really fit well with bigger pack themes but so far all we've mostly had is building/decoration packs.
  • Options
    VeganisinizVeganisiniz Posts: 51 Member
    edited September 2021
    Dislike the idea of kits
    I dislike the idea of kits. I still see them as a cash grab. It's content that really ought to be part of a larger pack. I like all of the kits, but I wish they were all part of larger packs. The throwback fit kit could have been in a 90's stuff pack with 90's looking furniture and wallpaper. The country kitchen one should have been in Cottage Living. Courtyard oasis could have been in a Moroccan themed game pack or expansion pack, with enough to build a full house. Bust the dust could be thrown into literally any expansion as just another thing; gameplay kits are probably the easiest to justify the existence of tbh. The industrial loft kit could have been in city living or eco lifestyle, or a new pack featuring an industrial looking world.
    Post edited by Veganisiniz on
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Dislike the idea of kits
    Id still never buy one
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    Like the idea of kits
    I do like it. I was able to buy the content I cared about (Courtyard Oasis), avoid the content I hated the very idea of (Bust the Dust), not waste money on content I didn't care about either way, and anytime I want, I can still buy the kit I'm on the fence about but haven't bought (Industrial). I'm a satisfied customer and spent a total of $5.

This is better than spending $10 or $20 on a larger pack when we only want one feature, or only the BB, but not the rest of the pack.

• Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Neutral
    I think there's some potential, but so far I haven't bought any.
  • Options
    Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    I’m enjoying kits to some degree, because they offer small content for a little money. I saw it clearly with Cottage Living which is the expansion pack I will never buy, because farming is the most boring topic to me. But I really wanted more rustic, used up looking kitchen set and I’m using Country Kitchen Kit since the day I bought it. I spent only 5 bucks instead of 40 just for one set. Some say it’s expensive just for one set, but I would argue it depends how much we use it. I put this stuff in almost all my builds now so I find it worth the money, but for just collecting packs I think kits are def not worth it. Also some were better than others, like Oasis Kit turned out amazing , the details on textures are gorgeous, but Industrial Kit seems a little pale and underwhelming. I also don’t own Bust The Dust as I hate chores in game, so my opinion is based only on CAS and BB Kits.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Neutral
    *shrug* I had some cautious optimism to begin with, but not overwhelmingly so. I dare say some flavor of neutral from beginning until now.

Obviously it is bad for small, at times arguably less useful, content (fewer hero items) for a premium price. ($5 USD isn't outrageous to me, but just because I'll toss a bill at it for extra content doesn't make it a good deal either.) Which, we cannot prove isn't cut/insert malicious practice here. Plus, if we are going by personal qualms, CAS kits disappointed me (CAS is so much more than clothes and the exemplar kit doesn't show that) and they really aren't diversifying (three BB kits in a row, good or not).

However, it is still supposed to be a way to get in more quantity and niche content, unlike what we had before (which I think is a good thing to go for).

So, I wouldn't exactly mourn the loss, but do hope since they are here they will put out some stuff I'm particularly interested in. I don't blame anyone for passing, though.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I'm pretty happy with the two that I purchased (Country Kitchen and Oasis), and have no regrets about buying them, but have little to no interest in the others they've released so far. I'll happily keep buying them, if they release more that have things I want.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    Neutral
    I bought the first three and I like them, the last two haven't really interested me and I don't feel like I am missing anything by not purchasing them. That is actually one of the things I like about kits, they are so centered on a specific theme that if I am not interested there is nothing else included that would tempt me to buy anyway.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited September 2021
    My feelings about kits are mixed, but I am kinda disliking the idea. Maxis tweeted that Kits are bite-sized packs bringing BIG possibilities to all players! More Choices! More ways for you to Play with Life!

But I would rather say that they are bite sized packs bringing small possibilities to players. With packs I feel encouraged and inspired to try new things, with kits I have to come up with creative ways to use them that I have not already done already in the game.

If you like kits and are creating big possibilities with them, more power to you, but I am just not sure about them. I need more development put into this game, that will offer us big possibilities.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Neutral
    Mixed.
    I like and dislike them.

I like having new content more often.
    But Build buy themes are too small and are not enough to theme out an entire house. Like the Moroccan theme.
    I need more Moroccan content now and will probably have to turn to custom content. New themes like that should be left to the other packs.

Industrial loft makes a little more sense because it can be added to existing content and fill out the theme.

I would be fine with game play content as long as it is better thought out and implemented than Bust the Dust.
    I don't believe I will ever purchase that kit.

I will most likely buy CAS items, if I can use them.
    Kits are probably best for filling in the holes of current content.
    Things that the developers know will not be brought by future packs.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Neutral
    I still haven't bought any of them, because they haven't been interesting enough.

I kinda liked Bust the Dust and almost bought it, but the bugs at release and some implementation decisions made me lose my interest.
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    Like the idea of kits
    I like the idea of kits. Kits give me the opportunity to pick what I want to add to my game. I liked the industrial kit and the country kitchen kit. I did not like the fitness kit because it was all about females as usual plus I didn't like the hip-hop look they were going for. But now we have the long multi-colored nails to go with that stuff so maybe there's a theme after all.

I don't particularly see them as a cash grab because you either buy them or you don't. None of the kits make my game stop working if I don't have them.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Neutral
    I thought the idea of having niche content was a good idea...in the beginning. But after buying Bust The Dust I was disappointed, and disabled the pack after a few days of sparkles everywhere, my Sims constantly sniffing the air, and dealing with their need to hoover everything and ignore the tasks in their queues. Plus those dust bunnies were frightening. Kits looked good on paper, but didn't quite measure up to the hype. The teams should be working more on the refreshes of older packs. fixing the bugs and glitches, along with testing new pack content before releasing those new packs. It just feels like the teams are trying to do too much all at once, and have lost track of the big picture which has always been about SPs, GPs, EPs, and base game updates. Then the refreshes came along, and I wonder if Maxis is asking too much of it's teams right now. And how hard is EA pushing Maxis to make these kits just to boost its sales? That's what the kits look like to me; just one more way to make a buck. :/
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Neutral
    I mean, considering they're basically TS3 Store I don't have any complaints, but I can't justify buying them when there's most definitely CC out there that's very similar (and free) to what's being provided in the pack.
    So I haven't bought any kits and I don't think I intend to, but for those who have bought them and enjoy them, I salute you.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    I still like the idea of them and see the potential, but also the potential seems kinda wasted...I was hoping they'd bring us more niche content which, at least for now, hasnt happend.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    EvilWitch83EvilWitch83 Posts: 140 Member
    Dislike the idea of kits
    I feel that they are overpriced for what they are. Here in the UK they cost £5 ($6.87)
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    Dislike the idea of kits
    They are even worse than I expected
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    logion wrote: »
    My feelings about kits are mixed, but I am kinda disliking the idea. Maxis tweeted that Kits are bite-sized packs bringing BIG possibilities to all players! More Choices! More ways for you to Play with Life!

But I would rather say that they are bite sized packs bringing small possibilities to players. With packs I feel encouraged and inspired to try new things, with kits I have to come up with creative ways to use them that I have not already done already in the game.

If you like kits and are creating big possibilities with them, more power to you, but I am just not sure about them. I need more development put into this game, that will offer us big possibilities.

Yeah, this so much. I don't hate them, but they add so little, it's kind of not worth it at the price point of half a stuff-pack. I've had so much more fun with paranormal than I had with all the kits combined. The problem I see with kits is that they are too niche, they don't really flow with the rest of the game, unless you already own a pack that kind of goes with it.

For instance, the Oasis Courtyard kit, if it had been a stuff pack, there would have been additional CAS stuff that would allow you to make a Moroccan inspired family and perhaps something to do in the form of gameplay. Like, I dunno, maybe a pottery skill or glass working, or maybe some traditional dishes your sim could cook. Instead, it's just this out of place courtyard that doesn't really go with the rest of the game, except maybe some stuff from Jungle Adventure.

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,670 Member
    I think it's a great way to make features that were meant to be included with previous packs, available. There must be tons of ideas they worked on that never made it to our games, but not necessarily because the idea itself was not good enough. Packs can hold only so and so much. Also, kits should be great for stand alone ideas in the future.

I'm not a fan though of features that would naturally fit with a future pack gets held back because it might fit with the kits concept. I much prefer GPs and SPs. I have a list of want features though, that could be perfect for the kits.

This said, I did not buy any of the existing kits, simply because I didn't need them in my game. Might change in the future, though :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Other

I own and use all of them a lot.

However…

I also find that kits should be more complete:
    • The kitchen kit should have come with a kitchen table and chairs.
    • The dusting kit should’ve added a broom for sims who live off the grid and are not into modern technology.
    • The 90’s CAS kit should’ve given us more hairstyles and male attire. Come on where are me MC HAMMER pants? If you don’t know who he is you’re a whippersnapper.
    • Since the release of the industrial kit I’ve been using AirDucts as though my life depends on them, but unfortunately there’s no Y bend or wall vent. Why not? It feels incomplete. My builds could be so much better.

I have no problem with kits in general - they have great potential - but they can’t just be “a bit of this and that”- kit.

If we’re only getting beautiful, half arsss-ed kits we’re better off with stuff packs only. Stuff packs still focus on a niche element but could offer us more for “only” double the price of a kit. At least it would feel more complete, especially if they’re handled similar to the way paranormal or knitting was handled.