Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you guys like it if EA brought back "extended family trees"?

Comments

• Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,085 Member
    Yes please, i dont like how "normal" all families are..
    Yes I would. I got confused why my sim self’s father was flirting with his new daughter-in-law only to discover there is no relation between them on the family tree.
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I would love to have a more in-depth family tree. I kind of hate how only siblings are connected, but the game doesn't really keep track of aunt/uncle, and treats them as not being really connected to their nieces/nephews. The pets have a better family tree, in-laws for pets aren't registered, but the game keeps track of relationships between aunts/uncles for pets.
    I also have a family where I moved in a male Sim, which eventually became a step-father for the kids, but the game doesn't really keep track of it, just lets him adopt them as care dependents.
    Also, I like to switch up my Sim family dynamics, and even though you can do grandparents, parents, kids, etc in CAS, you can't do a step parent without moving in another Sim.
  • Options
    FarmerJeiFarmerJei Posts: 55 Member
    As a family player, I'm all for anything that expands the family tree. While they're at it, they could also extend the relationships in CAS. :)

i shouldve mentioned that.. im mainly looking for deeper relationships like cousins, step-siblings, "family friend who isnt an aunt but is considered the aunt" lol
  • Options
    Simmingal wrote: »
    "normal" part does not bother me and if it does i will make things abnormal by myself

but I would like to see everyone connected to family in family tree easily without clicking thousand sims cause what is the freaking point of family tree if it does not show all family connection

+ I would like it if game didn't remove dead sims from family tree cause that can be pretty dang confusing and dying doesnt exactly mean your grandma didn't exist

"dying doesnt mean grandma didnt exist" :D i shouldnt be laughing but the wording you chose is great lol. i agree though, if you lok at a real family tree, if someones daughter marries off, that family now joins the tree, its not a whole new tree for that couple...
  • Options
    Brd709 wrote: »
    Yes I would. I got confused why my sim self’s father was flirting with his new daughter-in-law only to discover there is no relation between them on the family tree.

yeahhh... things like this need to be fixed. i know interactions between sims is never going to perfect as it is a game but if the family tree was able to be done in sims 3 and even better in sims 2 imo, then i dont see why its "impossible" now
  • Options
    Umbreon12 wrote: »
    I would love to have a more in-depth family tree. I kind of hate how only siblings are connected, but the game doesn't really keep track of aunt/uncle, and treats them as not being really connected to their nieces/nephews. The pets have a better family tree, in-laws for pets aren't registered, but the game keeps track of relationships between aunts/uncles for pets.
    I also have a family where I moved in a male Sim, which eventually became a step-father for the kids, but the game doesn't really keep track of it, just lets him adopt them as care dependents.
    Also, I like to switch up my Sim family dynamics, and even though you can do grandparents, parents, kids, etc in CAS, you can't do a step parent without moving in another Sim.

this is a great comment, the fact that pets are more connected than we are (i didnt even know that as i hardly keep track of pet trees) but i still think its important, they have lives too! i just really miss how even with premade sims back in sims 2 would have a partial tree already consisting of parents and possibly siblings, leading the player to have some backstory of the family life and allows them to branch off from it or start new... now the only option we have is to endlessly go through all sims we want one to have a relationship with and do it manually (death) or cheat it which is what i tend to do for storylines i am trying to make but it just doesnt make sense as to why, ex. Judith Ward in her bio says "married a few times but never lasted.." then you check her relationships expecting to see bad blood between some of her exes and... *poof* nothing, not a single friend, ex, agent, coworker anything and shes supposed to be the MOST well known sim out there, even enough to be showing up in Batuu... which is a WHOLE other issue i have
  • Options
    FarmerJei wrote: »

this is a great comment, the fact that pets are more connected than we are (i didnt even know that as i hardly keep track of pet trees) but i still think its important, they have lives too! i just really miss how even with premade sims back in sims 2 would have a partial tree already consisting of parents and possibly siblings, leading the player to have some backstory of the family life and allows them to branch off from it or start new... now the only option we have is to endlessly go through all sims we want one to have a relationship with and do it manually (death) or cheat it which is what i tend to do for storylines i am trying to make but it just doesnt make sense as to why, ex. Judith Ward in her bio says "married a few times but never lasted.." then you check her relationships expecting to see bad blood between some of her exes and... *poof* nothing, not a single friend, ex, agent, coworker anything and shes supposed to be the MOST well known sim out there, even enough to be showing up in Batuu... which is a WHOLE other issue i have

The pets don't have an actual full family tree you can see, but I bred a bunch of dogs, which were a wolf Link and a kitsune, and moved them into other families. I then bred their offspring with other dogs that I downloaded as well. I liked their offspring, so I made another family and bred the wolf link and the same kitsune, and then took an offspring from each breeding pair, and had the offspring have babies. The game kept note that how they were related, grandparents, parents, kids. I took some of the first generation pets, and bred a female daughter of one wolf link and a kitsune to a different dog, and moved her brother to another family. I moved one of her offspring into her brother's family, and it kept note they were uncle and nephew. The only ones not linked were in-laws. I think it even related cousins to each other. Another thing is pets can be related up to great grandparent as well, because I tested that too. So, even if we can't see the family tree, the game has better track of how pets are related to each other.
    Yeah, Sims 2 did have a pretty good premade history, because it made the world feel more lived in when you start the game. Sims 4 basically starts when you start. Judith Ward should already have her past relationships in her bio, and people she has met. She should actually have a lot of people in her bio.
    I liked how Sims 2 does keep track of relationships too, like exes, and other things.
    I feel that Sims that appear in Sims 4 are just placeholders, to add more Sims to you game, but they kind of lack what makes them interesting. It is weird seeing Sims in worlds they have no sense being in, like I have had Vlad in Sulani, mostly at night, but it was weird seeing him.
    I actually have a Sim married to Judith, and they have a daughter, going to have them have more kids, and make Judith a stage mom.
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    edited September 2021
    Still waiting to set up uncles, aunts, and cousins.
  • Options

The pets don't have an actual full family tree you can see, but I bred a bunch of dogs, which were a wolf Link and a kitsune, and moved them into other families. I then bred their offspring with other dogs that I downloaded as well. I liked their offspring, so I made another family and bred the wolf link and the same kitsune, and then took an offspring from each breeding pair, and had the offspring have babies. The game kept note that how they were related, grandparents, parents, kids. I took some of the first generation pets, and bred a female daughter of one wolf link and a kitsune to a different dog, and moved her brother to another family. I moved one of her offspring into her brother's family, and it kept note they were uncle and nephew. The only ones not linked were in-laws. I think it even related cousins to each other. Another thing is pets can be related up to great grandparent as well, because I tested that too. So, even if we can't see the family tree, the game has better track of how pets are related to each other.
    Yeah, Sims 2 did have a pretty good premade history, because it made the world feel more lived in when you start the game. Sims 4 basically starts when you start. Judith Ward should already have her past relationships in her bio, and people she has met. She should actually have a lot of people in her bio.
    I liked how Sims 2 does keep track of relationships too, like exes, and other things.
    I feel that Sims that appear in Sims 4 are just placeholders, to add more Sims to you game, but they kind of lack what makes them interesting. It is weird seeing Sims in worlds they have no sense being in, like I have had Vlad in Sulani, mostly at night, but it was weird seeing him.
    I actually have a Sim married to Judith, and they have a daughter, going to have them have more kids, and make Judith a stage mom.

your gameplay is amazing... im literally at a loss for words on the pet family saga and i LOVEEE JUDITH BEING A STAGE MOM!!!! i did notice she had the "is thinking about having kids" thought in her bio thats awesome :)
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah family tree needs a major refresh. How it is now is gross with the number blood and romantic relationships allowed through it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    Most of my story lines includes a young sim (child or teen) who lives with an uncle or aunt or grandmother. But I can’t set that in game and just have to have it in my own imagination and have my poor teen sim live with a strange older man. It weirds me out even if I know how the storyline goes.
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • Options
    SimSoonSimSoon Posts: 55 Member
    What do you mean by 'extended' family trees? My newest adopted child has the ghosts of her great-grandparents on there, and the great-great-grandparents, though those get labelled 'Ancestor' - is that what you mean?
  • Options
    SimSoon wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'extended' family trees? My newest adopted child has the ghosts of her great-grandparents on there, and the great-great-grandparents, though those get labelled 'Ancestor' - is that what you mean?

wow.. ive never heard of that happening before? maybe i just never checked my adopted kids tree seperatly.. but by "extended" i mean having the option to add more family members to a household and have it reflect on the tree.. ex. instead of only being allowed to have "bother/sister, husband/wife, children, or just household members. Have the option to have cousins, step parents/siblings, aunts and uncles, "Family friend" for those situations where the person living with you isnt actually related but the family has given them rights to take care of the child. my main point i was trying to make was Sims 2 did an AMAZING job at lore and giving even premade sims a "past" even if it was just parents and siblings etc. i dont like how sims 4 just kinda "starts" when you start and you have to manually go through and fix ALLLL townies if you want to have gameplay that makes sense. and this is off topic but i also just dont like having family gameplay and i want to take my sims to the beach for a family day out and vlad shows up to stalk, like dude... youre in the land of SUN, go back to where you belong... FORGOTTON hollow.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,672 Member
    Im indifferent..
    I'd say yes please on behalf of every simmer who wants such a feature, assuming others could simply ignore it, and that it would not affect our game performance. However, I had my own on-the-side family trees, so I would personally not make use of an improved family tree.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    I'd say yes please on behalf of every simmer who wants such a feature, assuming others could simply ignore it, and that it would not affect our game performance. However, I had my own on-the-side family trees, so I would personally not make use of an improved family tree.

youre the second person to send a "family tree" app ive never heard of these, whoever did these are amazing... I havent looked to much into either just yet but if you have any advice/knowledge on both... Would you recommend the site youre using or "the plum tree app"? they do seem different as the one you sent was a template? i think.. and the plum tree app seems to be people using a template to make a tree with their sims and adding info, then uploading them so other can use? Im a bit confused on how it works but i prob just havent looked enough! I really like this idea though, the one you sent seems a bit easier on the eyes so i might use that one
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,672 Member
    Im indifferent..

youre the second person to send a "family tree" app ive never heard of these, whoever did these are amazing... I havent looked to much into either just yet but if you have any advice/knowledge on both... Would you recommend the site youre using or "the plum tree app"? they do seem different as the one you sent was a template? i think.. and the plum tree app seems to be people using a template to make a tree with their sims and adding info, then uploading them so other can use? Im a bit confused on how it works but i prob just havent looked enough! I really like this idea though, the one you sent seems a bit easier on the eyes so i might use that one

Hi! Mine is not an app or template, but a web site I programmed myself. I guess it's way too detailed for others than nerdy me, LOL, anyways it would not be possible transfer it to other simmers' games, because it's too integrated with my general community pages. I developed it over many years, and would probably have organized it differently if I knew back then that others would be interested in parts.

I'd recommend using real life genealogy sites (such as Plum - which I never tried myself). Sim genealogy is not that different from RL genealogy after all :). I think one great advantage is being able to access the tree(s) also when the game is not running. I often plan my families/houses/nobility when I'm not actually playing.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options

your gameplay is amazing... im literally at a loss for words on the pet family saga and i LOVEEE JUDITH BEING A STAGE MOM!!!! i did notice she had the "is thinking about having kids" thought in her bio thats awesome :)
    Yeah, in the same save file, I had two breeding versions of Wolf Link and the same Kitsune, I gave one pair the last name Magic and the other one Mage to keep track of where their offspring were in the game. In a completely different save file, I have them as another breeding pair with the last name Hyrule.
    Back to the other save file with both of them as breeding pairs, I downloaded some other dogs, and mixed them together, and then moved the dogs into different families. It was kind of funny that the game kept track of all the relationships, especially when I moved and uncle and nephew into the same family, and when I kept one litter mate with the family, the game kept track of her as an aunt. Which is more in-depth then the human sims family tree, because you can link sibling together and the game will register that they are an aunt/uncle to their sibling's kid, but their spouse won't be registered as their aunt/uncle too. It is sad that the pets are better covered.
    The first child of Judith Ward in my game is called Diamond, and my plan for her is that Judith will put her and her siblings into show business.
  • Options
    totasimstotasims Posts: 27 Member
    i really miss this
  • Options
    Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Yes! It's a shame they haven't, yet.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Im indifferent..
    I don't do storytelling, and my Sims have no history---wouldn't matter either way to me
  • Options
    moonmaidenmoonmaiden Posts: 17 Member
    It would definitely help keep my interest in playing with one family longer. I tend to move on before they become elders LOL.
    TS4 Gallery: moonmaiden17
    Discord: moonmaiden#1752
  • Options
    agirardi93 wrote: »
    It would definitely help keep my interest in playing with one family longer. I tend to move on before they become elders LOL.

thats my problem.. i have to manually keep track of who remarried, had kids here or there, has an ex over here that still comes around, long lost kids etc. it would be so much easier if it was ingame
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    What i'd like is the ability to chose the relations one sim has to another instead of going the roundabout way of doing it by creating a household, then editing the household to add more sims to create that lineage, then deleting those sims and keep the relation between each sim.

for example i have a very famous young man, he has a cousin he doesn't know anything about and she doesn't know he exists either, she is a child and was homeless until an family adopted her, as far as she knows she is the only member of her family still alive. It would be infinitely more easier if you can choose the relationship in CAS from a list. This would be a lot easier than it is currently as already mentioned.

i got some sims that would be great as half-sisters, a 3rd cousin, once removed.

i'd also like it in the genology tree was fixed and was more flexible with family structures than it is currently.
  • Options
    elfinpcnelfinpcn Posts: 4 New Member
    I just want my sims to stop flirting with one of their in-laws in front of their spouse and the other in-law. You can see aunt's and uncles, by blood, if you go into their profile. I would like it to go as far as second cousins so that I'm not trying to track it myself. I play rotational, right now. I started with 4 single sims (A spellcaster, a mermaid, and two non-occult) and had them each find spouses out in the world. Many of their kids intermarried, and the third generation was a fairly safe dating group because it does track first cousins, but I'm going to have to carefully watch this next generation.
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    Im indifferent..
    I'm one of those rare players that has never played earlier editions of the game so I'm "eh", I could go either way.