Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is one Motherlode (50000 simoleons) much money for your sims?

EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
Money is easy to come buy in Sims 4, but many of us play with self-imposed restrictions or care more about story than efficiency, so not everyone's sims may swim in money.

Regardless of HOW your sims get their money (cheats, careers, banking mods, whatever), is one Motherlode little or much cash for your average family? Feel free to also comment about your richest and poorest, but for the poll use your average households.

(EDIT: Noticed the typo, the third poll option supposed to say "shabby")
Post edited by EnkiSchmidt on

Is one Motherlode (50000 simoleons) much money for your sims? 126 votes

A fortune!
39%
crocobaurajeepjeepcatZorgaCaitxcatBeardedgeekBoergeAarg61Paigeisin5freindlylolNRoweRubyxAngelCinebarmitchiebanjoPurpleThistlesSimplyJenMizzila1297kiwi84HarukotyanDaraviCAPTAIN_NXR7Onverser 50 votes
A nice windfall.
26%
auroraael14bshag4lvJaiSeaKita5399Brd709DijktafoneAnmirlagoodcakebaker62barracuda1574zagboorulesgreydonnPotbelijospice3phantasmkissmotdkhalloweenchildbixtersSindocatEnkiSchmidtBreazona 34 votes
Not too shappy, but nothing special either.
23%
Akl500PGalacticGalJueJuePlayerSinger2010TheSpotted_CBloosmoobabajayneMariefoxprice83IObelleMiaSkywalkertaydevjcp011c2pammiechickThisSentenceIsALiesnoepjes1210DoloresGreycatmando830Oldeseadoggesinnyoncemoonmaiden 29 votes
Play money...
10%
haneulsimgirl1010DarkLady2788BabykittyjadecalaprfySERVERFRASeashoreLiviaL33tP33tNWEnnaelMyriadSimsACruelButLovingGodwahini2024Veganisiniz 13 votes

Comments

• Play money...
    The overwhelming majority of my sims would view a $50,000 windfall as "I mean, thanks, it's money, but I get more than that when the interest payment comes in on my household funds every week."

My richest sims, before they passed away of old age, were worth nearly 5 million. Any sim who's had any kind of playtime usually has a couple hundred grand sitting around. I'd say my average played sim's net worth is somewhere around 400,000 simoleons.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    A nice windfall.
    When I design the "suffering" type of households, they can only dream of that sort of disposable income. Normally, though? I usually don't think too much about money. I always keep it flowing even if they would struggle otherwise. My richest households do not need my help and thusly motherlode means nothing to them.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    A fortune!
    My sims tend to have nice, comfortable houses but barely enough money to pay their bills. I suppose they could be rich but having hard cash in the range of millions has never been a focus.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    Play money...
    It's not enough to pay the bills, and if I added up all the money they've literally burned or tossed away, I think it'd be more than 50k.
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    Play money...
    usually my sims have 250k-1mil, so yeah. play money.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited September 2021
    A fortune!
    It’s a fortune for most of my sims. I play rotationally and many of my sims have started out in sizable sims households ( friends ) till they earned enough to go it alone. My sims tend to do so much more than work.

I do have some families like the Landgrabbs where I cheat to buy businesses that my sims can go to. They live off of cheating pretty much but most of my sims live off of what they make, I have very little interest in mansions on the gallery and I have tried legacies but they are just not fun for me.

By the way, can you get interest in a non modded game? I have all the packs, but don’t use mods or CC.

I think my richest self made sim has several hundred thousand dollars, lives in a nice 4 bedroom house with a den, large green house, pool, rocket ship and many collections, in Windenburg . I haven’t played her in awhile because of the gardening bug that reverts plants to dirt piles. She pretty much made her fortune gardening. Never had an actual, leave the house job. She started out on the the original $20,000. Has never made interest on her money, but I’m interested in how to do that.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    A fortune!
    My sims usually have about 10k-100k if I don't count the value of their homes, so 50k is a lot of money for them! I try to give them nice homes (some have better homes than the others), but after that I try to avoid giving them too much cash.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    A fortune!
    I usually start my Sims out with a moderate house and about $500.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 322 Member
    I usually freerealestate my sims into a nice house because I like having nicely decorated houses, so they usually don’t have huge spending needs. My first generation usually sends their money off with their kids (different kind of real estate handout). Most of my sims can usually manage to have at least that much cash on hand by the time their kids go off to uni.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    A nice windfall.
    It's a good chunk of money, but I rarely use it. I learned how to set exactly the amount of money I want, so I giveth and taketh away. Gone are the years of "chaching" and "rosebud" until you can afford that house!
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    A nice windfall.
    One Motherlode is more than enough to set my sims up with essentials and a good nest-egg to cover bills as they get established.

I am usually able to spare more than that from household funds, to give new young adults departing home in legacy saves, but they don't really need it - it just gives them the means to get whatever special thing they want for their home. Or whichever home.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited September 2021
    A fortune!
    One motherlode is too much for my Sims. I used that cheat when I first started playing Sims 4 because I was in a hurry to check out aspirations, traits, and builds from the Gallery. When I look at some of my old games from 2015 now it bothers me that the Sims in those games never had to work for anything. They got everything right away.

In early 2016 I read about a game challenge that involved starting a Sim with nothing and having them earn everything. I tried that challenge and never used motherlode again. The only cheat that I use now is to reduce household funds to $0 when I start a new household. The Sims do just fine. I get more play out of each household because they have to use their time to earn money, gain skills, keep their needs up, and maintain a social life.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    A nice windfall.
    My New Sims get their homes with the free real estate cheat, but never have a ton of extra money. I like to play each new generation starting with maybe half their parents money, so by generation 3 or so they end up rather comfortable. I’m on generation 22 of my main save, and on average my controlled households have maybe $100,000 each plus large homes. I make sure they give a good amount to each child as they grow up and move out, with a bit extra to the heir that I’ll continue on with. I’ve only played a household with 1million+ once, and that was a surprise when my Sim moved in with her new townie fiancé, only to discover he had the money and two children.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited September 2021
    My Sims usually start with what the game gives them without cheating, but they always earn money easily. When gardening still worked it didn't take them a long time to earn motherload of money. Nowadays it's more challenging, but it still won't take too much time. It's still quite easy to make money on Sims 4.
    I don't normally even notice how much money my Sims have, because it's not important to my game. Only when I need to buy my Sims a new home I'm actually interested of their earnings.
  • MissLyn2408MissLyn2408 Posts: 38 Member
    A fortune!
    I used to play cheating until I had 400,000 or 500,000, but there is not much reason for that in the Sims 4. I have definitely been influenced by Youtubers into not cheating money anymore.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    It depends. I play legacies so it would be a fortune for my first generation but it would be just a drop in the ocean for my let's say fifth gen.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited September 2021
    mostly not as my houses do tend to go expensive due to the antique style items i like

and if nothing else it gets split nicely between the many kids

but also there is households that could literally never use that much money like the single apartment sims cause their bills are ridiculously low

don't really tend to use money cheats tho cause its pretty dang easy to make some cash in sims 4 and having to keep up with my filthy rich sims mansion bills ive got some tricks in my sleeves for that

+not to mention i usually play premade households so no one really starts all zeroed out unless i try really hard to make it so
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    really depends on the household, for most of my households I really dont want to have to think about money, so I tend to give them arround 50.000 to 300.000 from the start, so they can affort the furnished homes I build for them and still have more then enough money to never worry about it.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    A fortune!
    Most of my sims have 5k-20k, but my longest played save is at around 100k right now
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2021
    A nice windfall.
    It's a lot for any household but compared with what families can accumulate from their careers in not so much.
    Post edited by Sharonia on
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Play money...
    My sims get whatever they want. They don't have time to save up if they want to own a business, go on vacation, etc.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited September 2021
    A nice windfall.
    I just use it to move into big houses for big families.

Considering the house is Cursed and I have to replace the oven constantly, it's hardly much.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    A fortune!
    Back before I knew of the Free Real Estate Cheat, I usually used it to move Sims or to buy businesses. Also, use it for major remodeling jobs.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    A fortune!
    My Sims seldom have more than 25,000 Simoleans in their household funds. I use Bienchen's 'Donate More to Charity' mod whenever my Sims become too flush with cash. Donating to charity also gives their reputation a nice boost. I enjoy taking my Sims through the lean times when they're just starting out and have small homes with cheap furniture, then as their finances improve they buy nicer things. Once upon a time I often cheated by giving my Sims everything right from the start, but when I did that, I lost interest in playing those families because there was no challenge left. They all live comfortable lives; they own nice homes, they go on family vacations to Sulani or Mt.Komorebi, or spend time fishing and camping in Granite Falls. They stay very busy with various activities, and don't get hung up on the idea that having a lot of money is the main goal in their lives. Of course there are the occasional dramas to deal with along the way just to keep things interesting, but all in all I prefer to keep their finances on the conservative side.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    edited September 2021
    A nice windfall.
    In my first save I gave my sims money trees...don't do that anymore. Most of those sim households have a minimum of a million with some over 2 million. I don't play those households anymore, there's no struggle, no stress. I have never played rich sims as most of my sims without money trees are lucky to have 5 figure wallets. As they get more pay from their jobs, then I start upgrading their furnishings. My sims work for their money or they get deleted. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.