Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't Travel

I took a bit of a holiday from The Sims. Now that I'm back, I find I can't travel. My Sims calls, arranges the trip and the loading screen comes up. As usual, clicking the searches is haphazard for most of the load time. Just before it finishes, I start clicking like crazy on all the things to find for bonus happiness points. This goes on for a long time, and I have collected a couple thousand points before I quit. Even if I leave it, the world NEVER finishes loading, even after more than half an hour.

I don't know if this is relevant or not. Just before I quit for a bit, I downloaded some new worlds from a site and they each came with a package file of custom content (which was handy). I installed all these worlds and package files. When I gave up trying - and failing - to travel, I removed the package files and deleted the worlds. That didn't work. I cleared my cache according to AlyxMS. That didn't help.

Why can't I travel?

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Travel transition failures are very common in TS3. For those not averse to using mods, the solution is to have NRaas Traveler in play. It works together with two of our other mods, Overwatch and ErrorTrap, to make these transitions much less prone to these failures. It works just as well on EA worlds (including the WA worlds, Uni, and Oasis Landing).

I don't really have a non-mod solution for this as there are literally hundreds of different things that can cause the failure. I will suggest though to switch off the hidden object game, be offline (not logged in) and the Launcher and in-game levels, have the in-game TS3 store shopping experience switched off, and only try to Travel after a fresh loadup of the game all in an effort to be more successful when there is less stress on the game and less RAM usage. Note though that if you make it there okay but get stuck in a foreign world unable to transition back home, the game is kind of over unless you have a safe save to revert gameplay back to before the trip started.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • MadDoctor61MadDoctor61 Posts: 414 Member
    I think I'm going to end up deleting it and then reinstalling from scratch. Huge pain.
    As you wish, but reinstalls don't really stand to solve problems like this. Travel failures are not a result of the program files going bad, they are a result of the game engine being over-extended (even if for seemingly no reason) and things that are supposed to happen in a precise order as one world comes out of RAM and the destination gets loaded in get skipped over or happen out of order. Reducing stress on the game can, in some cases, allow things to happen closer to as they should and have been programmed to.

Part of what Traveler does is smooth out the parts of the transition we can't see and help to ensure that vital programming steps along the way do not get skipped over. It can actually make the travel transitions seem longer than otherwise in some cases, but more stable.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    You talked me into it. I installed 'Traveller'. Apparently it saves automatically just before travelling. I save just before the phone call/just before returning home. I was wondering what was going on til I realized. I did make it to China though. I was about to complain that it lost my 'Collection Helper' but, wait, I lost that when I did the game purge after the cache purge didn't work. I don't have one yet.
    No NRaas mods perform a save automatically, at least not by design. But Traveler strongly suggests one and presents the Save As dialog box before any travel transition. That's an option that can be switched off, I don't care for it either because I also make my own saves first.

On City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > Traveler > Prompt to Save > True/False
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Traveller give me a very long "Script Error" message, both when I reach my destination and after returning home. Does it mean anything that I would be interested in, especially why I couldn't travel without it?
    edited August 2021
    I would have a 0% chance of answering that correctly without getting to read the script log. Sorry, but this is the equivalent of getting, over the phone, "Hi, my car (computer, toaster, whatever) is making a noise. What's wrong with it?"

It would be best if you could bring your script logs to us at NRaas so that other members and our developer can help interpret them.

It is most likely not going to tell you why you had travel transition failures before you had the mod in play.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!