Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why don't Sims autonomously use skill building items anymore?

I remember that when Sims got Inspired, they used to play an instrument or paint a picture or mix some drinks, even though they'd never picked up the skill before. Now they don't do that anymore; the only thing they seem to do autonomously is play video games.

They don't even watch the Comedy channel autonomously anymore. And although these don't build skill, they used to also watch Action and Romance. Now all they care about is Sports.

Was this a conscious decision on the part of Maxis? I've always enjoyed letting my Sims do whatever they wanted, provided their needs weren't low. Why aren't Sims doing interesting things by themselves anymore?

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2021
    Did you get the new pack and it has to do with likes and dislikes. Maybe that is the reason it doesn't fit in with what they possibly like? Or is that just about liking some colors etc. Maybe the new pack and patch broke the game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    It’s likely partly to do with what Cinebar said and people constantly complaining about sims autonomously using items. It probably got nerfed.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    It may be the likes/dislikes. I told my sim she likes painting, now she starts painting on her own. Sometimes right before bed. LOL
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Isharell wrote: »
    It may be the likes/dislikes. I told my sim she likes painting, now she starts painting on her own. Sometimes right before bed. LOL

My sims are painting autonomously, instead of the hobbies they like (painting isn’t one of them) - I haven’t tried having them dislike painting yet, though. So I think the autonomy for painting is very high in general.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    sims don't do anything they dislike autonomously
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    They’re not supposed to but I’ve seen it. My active sim kept exercising after I had her dislike fitness.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member

They do! I've a sim who dislikes mischief but still trolls forums.

Autonomy is very high for mixology if a sim is inspired. I had Bust The Dust when it had the overwhelming inspired moodlet and had to remove bars.
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member

This is not true. Likes and Dislikes don't affect autonomy. All they do is give your sim a moodlet and increase or decrease fun based on if they like the activity or not.

My sims do autonomously use skill building items, but only if they have a certain trait (like creative sim will often autonomously paint) or if they have at least 1 level in the skill. Nobody touches the bar at all until I give one of my sims the mixology skill, then they're all over it.

But even still, sometimes all they do is watch TV and play video games (even if they don't have the skill)... Meh. :(

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I thought they just made an update to traits that is supposed to force Sims to do autonomous activities related to those traits? Like for example, Sims with the Creative trait are supposed to autonomously paint or whatever.