Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Favorite Career?

So I'm curious what everyone's favorite career is and why? What makes it fun for you? I'm looking for some inspiration here as I'm feeling a bit blah about my current sims life story. Help me out sims family <3
sims4forumsmaller.gif

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    currently its doctor from get to work

because i added ts2 townies from which many have doctor career

so they show up as my work buddies which is just hilarious to me

and as i am playing Don its quite fun to go doctoring about as well ;)
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    I really love the scientist career from GTW, because its playable, you get a lot of perks from playing the career such as the satellite, cloning device and potions and because I can relate best to the scientific sims. :)
  • HappyPhantomHappyPhantom Posts: 881 Member
    I thought about opening my own business but wonder if it's worth it. I mostly play writer or painter, which is very profitable but can get boring for me.
    sims4forumsmaller.gif

• KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    Starting a business can be difficult in the game without mods, because it doesn't that pay that well and you end up spending most of your time there. Well, that's been my experience any way, but maybe you could try combining the painters skill with owning a gallery, where the paintings are the merchandise. That's quite a good option especially if you have a studio in the gallery.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    So I'm curious what everyone's favorite career is and why? What makes it fun for you? I'm looking for some inspiration here as I'm feeling a bit blah about my current sims life story. Help me out sims family <3

Honestly freelancer or "random crafting" are my favorites; I work enough 9-5 IRL and want to dream my self away from that, so to speak. So almost all my Sims live in Sulani and become millionares (literally) by making Fizz or plundering tempels and selling natives religious artifacts on the black market (aka yard sales). (Yes that last part was provocative on purpose, that is basically what you do in Jungle Adventure after all. Plunder temples and sell the treasure).

If you insist on an actaul active career I would say either movie star or scientist.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    My favourite is probably either the gardening career or the acting career from Get Famous. I’ve probably played those two the most. The gardening career I enjoy because I enjoy collecting and gradually growing all the different harvestables, and the acting career I love because it feels like my sim is being creative I guess and I enjoy the whole timed goal aspect of the job.
    @Beardedgeek Very interesting advice. It's funny because I have Sulani and Jungle Adventures and haven't ever played any of it. Maybe that's something fun I could try for sure.

Please keep the comments coming, this is very insightful and getting my gears turning.
    sims4forumsmaller.gif

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,560 Member
    I use a mod that adds a career, a singer career. This is a must have for me. I was so disappointed at first, when our Sims in Sims4 couldn't sing, nor was there even a skill for it. Yay for City Life. Gave us the skill, at least. GF gave us celebrity, yet still no actual singing career. I was totally bummed out until somebody cued me in that Sacrificial had updated his Road to Fame mod, which included a Professional Singing Career, plus the ability for the Sim to perform concerts. I won't play the game without it. Don't mind his wardrobe, he's still a Teen.

tMntmIF.jpg

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I don't really have a single favorite, but the ones I've enjoyed most over time are (in no particular order other than as I remember them):

Actor
    Scientist
    Astronaut (both branches)
    None (money from gardening, writing, media production, music, painting, collecting, and/or fishing)

Depending on the sim and the save, I sometimes just make up my own career (which I guess officially fits in my "None" list). I also use some career mods, but not often for played sims. I use those mostly as filler for NPCs to have a larger variety of jobs.

FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
    @GalacticGal This is very interesting. I've considered downloading career mods but some seem a bit OP and there are no fun rewards. I'll look into this Road to Fame mod thanks for the tip!
    sims4forumsmaller.gif

• Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    Regardless of their nominal careers, my Sims tend to wind up getting most of their income from collecting.
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    I love playing with careers! I love the active careers the most, because I love being involved and managing my sim at work.

I also really love owning restaurants, retail stores, and vet clinics. One of my favorite things is having a celebrity chef and owning a restaurant on the side, or having a stylist who owns their own fashion store.

Right now though, my current sims are a professional singer and a DJ, and I'm using KawaiiStacie's Showtime Mod to make their careers interactive. I've tried Road to Fame before, and I really dislike it. Showtime is more seamless and integrates better with the Get Famous system.

My DJ makes custom mixes, licenses the mixes, and performs DJ gigs using the mod. You have the choice between rabbit hole gigs or active performances by planning a social event. My singer does the same; She writes her own songs, licenses them, and does live performances. Honestly, I'm having a blast right now.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Most played is probably Culinary, as I generally have at least one Sim per household pursue the Fresh Chef reward trait, but I don't particularly enjoy it. I never buy the Hardly Hungry trait, so all of my Sims eat, so it's super utilitarian. A dedicated cook may as well also get paid.

For enjoyment, I like the Freelancer career (and was bummed while it was broken). I also really enjoy the Style Influencer career, which I piloted on one of my Founders (his husband did the Culinary career) and deeply enjoyed. I saw him as more a lifestyle writer than strictly fashion, and he has never precisely retired. Simogue pays him absurd amounts of money for articles, and he's used it to set up a family foundation, which has benefited his grandson and great-grandson particularly in their own careers (one as an Art Critic, and board member of the San Myshuno Arts Council, one as a Nonprofit Director, managing the family foundation's charitable work). But since Trend Setter is really Avery's thing, I don't overplay it.

Freelancer is more versatile, and once one has decent skill in a field, quite lucrative. It also is unscheduled, making it a good career with kids in the house, especially younger than school age, as it leaves a parent home to supervise. I usually do Painting - it's the quickest and simplest - but am combining it with Best Selling Author aspiration in the Writing branch, currently.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    Currently, I have a sim who's registered as a self-employed Plospy Seller. She's a photographer and sells her photos that way. I love the self-employed career and Plopsy.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I have some favorite careers in Sims 4.
    Astronaut Smuggler
    Conspirator
    Engineer Mechanics
    Medium
    Scientist

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    @Beardedgeek Very interesting advice. It's funny because I have Sulani and Jungle Adventures and haven't ever played any of it. Maybe that's something fun I could try for sure.

Please keep the comments coming, this is very insightful and getting my gears turning.

Remember that with Yard Sales you can mark up prices. So it's more work than to just sell from your Inventory, but on the other hand... that Golden Plate or Golden Frog woth 10.000 Simolions? You can sell it for 30.000.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I tend to prefer the "stuff you can do at home to make ridiculous amounts of money" way of making Simoleons rather than the go-to-work (either active or rabbit hole) route. Like the old saying goes, "nobody ever got rich working for someone else."

But for forum storytelling, I put my sims through various defined roles and then take creative liberty with what's going on down the rabbit hole—my super-chefs have references thrown in to real-life famous cooks, my mixologist guy has so far been a goofy excuse to shoehorn a Fallout: New Vegas reference into story canon, and my critics, writers, tech geeks, and the rest of the career roster are themselves opportunities for storytelling in the context of the game world.

But yeah, long story short, my favorite "careers" are of the "stick my sim in front of an easel all day and with 10 Painting skill plus various perks make 50,000 Simoleons like it's nothing."
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

2 of my favorite careers:
    • Scoundrel: Technically not a career but it’s a fun way to make money. 😇
    • Archeologist: I just love digging’ in the dirt. Discovering fake or authentic artifacts never gets old.
    Plus I love Archeology study clubs lead by my Professor in Archaeology. My dude often takes his cohort on research trips deep into the jungle were they get up to all kinds of shenanigans.
    I’m from the Indiana Jones era. Good ‘ol times, good ‘ol times.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited May 2021
    I love:

Scientist - The scientist is a lot of fun and I have about 3 or 4 different sims in that career so they all turn up to the lab as co-workers.

Archaeologist
    - I have a married couple who are both archaeologists and regularly go off to the jungle to do their Indiana Jones stuff.

Fashion Photographer
    - I enjoy photography in the game, my sim gets to make a lot of friends with it lol, sometimes he also photographs scenery and sometimes he gets 'hired' by couples getting married to do their photos.
  • FlewingFlewing Posts: 95 Member
    edited May 2021
    Fashion photographer at the moment. It's very fun and interactive.

I also love the acting career even though it gets a little repetetive.
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    My single sims will only ever have a career that isn't/doesn't have to be a rabbit hole, and if I have more than one active sim at least one of them will have to have an active/semi active career. I can't say I have a particular favourite career, and I still have more that I want to explore, but I wish the culinary career was active. :(
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Scientist as I can add to this from other packs like robot making and manufacturer. The Sims Lab is constantly getting added to.
  • MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    I have a lot of fun with the scientist career, until I suddenly don't. So, I love it to an extent. More than anything, I love the inventions from the science career.

Archaeologist is fun, because traveling into the jungle with a tent and portable shower and cooler becomes a lifestyle, really. You can take as much time as you need, enjoy the scenery, get up to some danger, and become a horrible person by stealing a culture's historical treasures to sell or put on display in a museum in a different world...so. You know. There's that. I love having my sims camp at the inspiring overlook in the jungle. And it's a nice mix, spend some time in the jungle, then return home. Switch it up whenever you get bored with one or need money. PLUS you get to unlock relics, and I LOVE THE RELICS SO MUCH. I LOVE the cursed ones, they are a joyful thing.

Also, I absolutely and completely adore part-time jobs for adults. Particularly, the lifeguard career. Mix it in with some odd jobs and you have a great combination for a leisurely Sulani life. Highly recommend. I also in general love having a sim work multiple part-time jobs. It's a nice change from churning down a long career path, and again, gives your sims a different style of living.

Other than that, I've had a lot of fun with the military career and also the criminal career! I will always have a soft spot for my criminal sims.
    a63ftuN.png
  • CheeseAyeCheeseAye Posts: 6 New Member
    Painter!

I know this sound so basic but painting with career/job or without, we can gain a lot of fame points and simoleons easily
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    Astronaut
    scientist
    Gardener
    Culinary
    education
    writer

For gameplay I prefer careers with the work from home option. I really wish that option would be patched in for astronauts and writers.