Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Know Any Simmers IRL

Comments

• auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I'm in my early 30's and I started playing because of my best friend when we're we're about 12. We both still play the game but I'm more active in the sims community than she is. I have about 4 other friends that I made in high school that still play as well, but as far as my day to day life or people I work with then no.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,570 Member
    I know a bunch of people that play the Sims in real life. We have done Simmer meetings back in the times of TS2. That was really fun.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    The only person I know that plays Sims is my daughter. I have told some people I play it - if they are gamers - they have usually at least heard of it, but most people I have told have no clue what it is!
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I'm in my early 30's and I started playing because of my best friend when we're we're about 12. We both still play the game but I'm more active in the sims community than she is.

Similar case here. It was a friend from school who introduced me to The Sims in the first place, and it became a popular game in my circle of friends at the time, although I don't think the others played it quite as much as I did. I'm no longer in touch with any of those people, but my sister downloaded TS4 when it was free on Origin back in 2019, she has a couple of expansions by now and we sometimes play together.

Also, I don't know if it counts, but I even got my mother to play around in CAS for a little while. I introduced her to her simself that my sister and I had created, but she wasn't so happy with the clothes we had picked. So I showed her how to change them, not expecting her to actually do it herself, but she did - a very peculiar sight because you don't usually catch my mother around a computer, let alone playing a game. :D

As for me being a simmer, I don't make a secret of it, in fact it's nearly impossible not to know that about me because of my machinimas that are fairly well-known among my family and friends. But as others have said, unless they're gamers themselves, people may not know what exactly The Sims is.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    It is funny when my mom discovered Cats and Dogs had corgis, she was like what app is that. She had me mix so many breeds together it was cute.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    It was a boyfriend of mine that first introduced me to the first Sims and I've had several friends over the years that play... but not near as many that play other popular games. I believe more people play Sims than talk openly about it (as indicated here), but I also think many that used to play are not aware it's still around. I recently got a friend of mine back into it when she learned through me that there's a Sims 4. Luckily, she has a similar play style to me and enjoys this iteration.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    A couple of my kids play. Does that count?
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    Nope. Kinda wish I did.
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,183 Member
    My granddaughters play though I know not as often as they used to. I started my nephew many (many) years ago on Sims2 and I know he kept it up for many years but not sure if still playing. He attended a PAX in 2014 and got a pic of him and his girlfriend wearing Bob Pancakes classic dressing gown. I'd post a pic but not allowed personal photos. I think I have carried the legacy on well but now and then it would be nice to actually talk to someone about the game. Mind I am isolated right now anyways so thank goodness have the forums here.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Not one. Then, I never say it. If computer gaming comes up in conversation I might mention I have a program that lets me design houses and test them with little people.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    edited April 2021
    I had a friend that loved TS2. I convinced her to move to TS3 but I haven't spoken to her in years. A couple of my nieces say they play the sims but I'm not sure if they're as obsessed about it as I am. They have actual lives. I don't and I'm completely fine with that :). I think one of my older cousins played TS3 but again, I don't think she was ever as obsessed as I am. A few friends are aware of the game but don't really care one way or another. They prefer other games. It's basically just me in my little sims bubble.

Edit: I just realized that first part may come off as she didn't like TS3 so we stopped speaking :). We just went our separate ways naturally. Life and all that.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don’t know anybody in real life in general outside of my family. My family don’t play but that doesn’t stop me talking about it a lot. :D
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    My first Sims game was Sims 2, and I stumbled on to it after watching YouTube videos where they had characters like Sephiroth running through a field of flowers. I had to know what game it came from, and that is how I came across it. I fell in love with it, and dragged my friends into the franchise.
    I got another friend hooked when I showed her Sims 2 and Sims 3.
    When Sims 4 came out, and snared all of them for it, and I can talk to them about it. I don't mention it really to anyone, except with them.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,572 Member
    Two of my coworkers play Sims and almost as much as I do. They actually follow the VTubers and all of that social media side of it. I made a Sim of my coworker and she said it looked more like her than she does. lol
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    I've never met any in real life. Ocassionaly someone will ask me what my hobbies are, and when I mention the Sims as one of them, they always say "Isn't that a kid's game?". It gets a bit tiring to be honest.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,869 Member

Just a few.
    83bienchen wrote: »
    We have done Simmer meetings back in the times of TS2. That was really fun.
    I was in one of those kind of TS2 meetings too, it was at Stockholm, Sweden.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited April 2021
    Sims is something my nibling and I have bonded over for years. (previously nephew until a few days ago... I promise nibling is a real word :D ) Before they moved away, they used to borrow my husband's desktop so that we could play Sims together side by side. I miss that!

When it comes to discussing Sims with other people it doesn't come up very often unless they ask for a complete list of all the games I play. The reaction I get from males is usually "Oh yeah my girlfriend loves that game".
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I don't currently know anyone who plays (that I'm aware of, anyway), but I've known a few in the past who mentioned playing one or more of the Sims games (when I didn't play them, somewhat ironically, lol).
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Yes, but none of us plays regularly anymore.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,421 Member
    The only other person I know who plays sims is my daughter, and she plays rarely. I have one friend who gets a kick out of the stories I make up, and she enjoys my screenshots. But she doesn't play. She is into MMO games. I think I have only met one other person who played sims, and that was sims 2.
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    My children used to play, when they were young and still lived at home. They're in their 30s now and play shoot 'em up console games and such. So for now, the only person I know in my RL who plays is my 14 yo grand-nephew. Then again, I don't interact with much of anyone outside my family now, or for years, honestly. I'm a loner with no use for friends haha.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    My daughter & I have been Simmers since Sims 3 in 2011. We play Sims 3 & 4 at our own computers.
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    So I work at a university and meet a wide range of people, make many friends across a VERY wide spectrum of backgrounds.

Whenever the Sims in gaming conversations does come up I've definitely noticed an interesting trend that most men I know or spoke to never play it, may women played it back in their teen years but not anymore. BY far the majority of my friends and people I meet who still play the Sims games identify as LGBTQ very consistently.

I think in this sense Maxis has done an excellent job with the Sims 4 in making it inclusive and its clearly payed off, but I do find it interesting that the majority of former players identified as playing it in their early to mid teen years but stopped around 18. Outside of university setting the majority of players I meet online seem to be much older than my university students but I've never met one my age who plays the Sims in RL, although I have a ton of gamer friends my age too.

Sims 4 specifically seems to mostly appeal otherwise to younger players out side of the mentioned demographs above.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member

Wait a minute folks. You ARE my RL. 🙃

No joking aside, INDEED! Every year I meet wonderful new folks who play the Sims through one of my jobs.

I teach game art related subjects a couple hours a week. Some of my students are very passionate about the franchise and the Sims 4. They predominantly range between the ages 18-24 and a handful played the game since childhood. Most of them who play are female. Some are male.

The only thing I ever hear from those who play it is: Oh my oh my I love The Sims!” ; they feel very nostalgic about the game and they’re certainly not shy with regard to playing it.
    The guys who don’t play it usually go: “Wut.

I find that those students who play it are often - perhaps coincidentally - the most skillful artists. They utilize the game as a creative tool, so CAS and Build mode may be more important to them than Live mode although I have yet to find out whether this is truly the case or not.

I’ve never shared with any of them specifically that I play The Sims as “a hobby”; they just assume that I “know stuff” through playing and researching various games since it’s important that we can have conversations about their overall concept, mechanics and aesthetics.
    However... if any of them roam these forums at all ( which I somehow doubt ) they may or may not recognize who I am. In fact that shouldn’t really be too hard so if they do, they’re obviously not telling me....which I take as no surprise. They’d be wondering when they’ll ever get a break from this head-case. 😆
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I've known 6 people in RL who play the sims. One of them hasn't played since TS1 now though. Through the sims, I've now also met 2 other people in RL that I probably would have never met if it hadn't been for the game.

Simmers do seem like they're more rare compared to other games but I think it would depend on your social circle already. I have a smaller circle of friends but they're all gamers and play many things, sims included.

Origin ID: Peapod79