Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What single expansion pack is essential for fun playing TS4 and why?

1235...Next

Comments

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited April 2021
    Get Famous
    Scobre wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I'd especially like any EP that makes changes to the way a sim behaves or influences others, and adds consequences (like parenthood does with the manners system).

If this is what you are looking, then you might like eco lifestyle as well. It's not my personal favourites but NAPs can alter the everyday behaviour of your sims a lot. Striving for a particular eco footprint can be quite a challenge and requires editing every lot. Just remember to read up on nap before you enable them because they can have unexpected or unwanted results.

Thanks! Ive heard about N.A.Ps. I really wish you could create your own NAPs. Is that possible in game or with mods? Or can the club feature be extended to every sim so it works like a NAP?
    So the NAPs is like a voting system and it is pretty much contained in one world. I tend to ignore it. I do like the community market and the crafting that comes with Eco Lifestyle. I find it probably minimum in changing behavior. It acts more like an event from Seasons in that something can happen but there are ways to influence it too and you earn points like the club system to vote for or against a NAP.

I wouldn't say NAPs are contained in one world. They're neighbourhood specific, so each neighbourhood (not world) has their own NAPs that you can only manage if you live there. I was pretty excited about the system, but mostly I've found them annoying. I've turned NPC voting for NAPs off because it's just chaos. Now I'm trying to add one NAP for some neighbourhoods to make them feel different. I like some of them but others are hard to use even this way. For clubs the maximum amount of sims is 8 so I don't think they could be used like NAPs, it's more of a specific group thing.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Seasons
    In my opinion, the game lack a lot of unpredictability and you know what's a remedy for that? Weather. It at least gives the feeling of something random happening even if it's a small and insignificant thing. This pack is an essential for me and I am similar to you in terms of what I think of this game. But you don't get to adjust the weather!

Btw. For DLC in general, personally I think Stuff packs are barely worth it. Maybe one or two and that's it. Game packs I like are Dine Out though it is very very buggy and parenthood though in my opinion it feels a bit too empty.
    For expansion packs the only ones I would buy are the ones you are absolutely interested in. One that you like all the features and the execution so make sure you watch tons of reviews to know what's in the pack (cause EA descriptions tend to paint a false picture).
    My second choice would be Get Famous if you're interested in that kind of gameplay because it is kind of well made and Get Together. All the others are not well executed nor very full imo so you'll have to really like the features to buy them.

If you are unsure if buying packs will make your opinion of the game better then set a certain amount of packs as a limit. For example buy three expansion packs and think, am I enjoying this right now or am I just craving more content because the game still feels empty? If the latter ends up being true then I say be aware not to fall into the trap of buying packs that you will end up never using cause you are bored of the game (which is a trap I fell into unfortunately).

Thank you! Ok no adjusting weather. Is every neighborhood's weather the same?

I do feel that way about stuff packs. I don't plan on buying those or kits. I heard Dine Out is very buggy but I haven't tried running my own restaurant because I'm annoyed about it's limits comparing it to TS2 Open for Business. I was happy to have a nice date out (though they kept playing musical chairs and getting distracted).

What else is satisfying about Seasons? I do like the atmosphere that it brings in TS2 & TS3, but I don't celebrate any major holidays so those features are not interesting to me. Would you say that is a big portion of TS4 Seasons pack, or is the fun mostly in just weather changes?

I do like celebrities and like the system in TS3 Nightlife. I did wish it was harder to become a celebrity in TS3. It wasn't easy necessarily, but I wish it would even more difficult to be a top star. Is it fairly easy in Get Famous?

What do you think is best executed in Get Together?

I also think what you said in bolded makes a lot of sense too. Thanks for that tip!

No, every neighborhood/world has different weather. You'll see a lot more snow in Willow Creek than in Oasis Springs, for example. You can adjust the duration of the seasons, but only to make them 7, 14, or 28 days long.

For me, Seasons actually gives more of a feeling of time passing. It also makes gardening a bit more challenging -- unless you build a greenhouse (I have one house where I added a small greenhouse room on the back mainly for flowers; I use it when I'm playing a Sim that's pursuing flower arranging) you have to take into account the seasons when planning your garden. I like the ability to check the calendar for upcoming global holidays; I'd really love it if they could tie it in with the CL and SE festivals so I could check ahead and find out if there's one my Sims want to take in. For example, if I've got a Sim with great programming skills I could schedule a vacation day so s/he could check out Geekcon and do the Hacking Challenge. And while I haven't tried it, you can actually schedule events like weddings or parties in advance so you have time to prepare rather than just a spur of the moment thing. When we got the patch allowing rentals in all residential worlds, I turned Oakenstead (the mansion in WC) into an event center with everything needed to throw a good party or wedding; that way instead of having to spend household money on a bar, wedding arch and such Sims can rent that place, have their event, and even stay overnight afterwards. You've also got a lot more activities for children -- they can build snowpals during the snowy periods and they've got the swings. And toddlers have their little wading pools.

I do like GT and it's probably my second choice in the poll; I use the club system for Sims to make friends that they can keep for a while. I had one club that started out as teens and went all the way to adults, main interests were dancing and karaoke. I also use it to help my families stay together after I move them out -- I put all the siblings in a club so it's easy for them to, well, "get together" for family dinners or parties and just catch up with each other.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • dipstick10dipstick10 Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm curious about adding 'Get to work' expansion...or just some kind of active career for my sim, like vetenarian or a store. Can anyone tell me, when I follow my sim to his or her detective career... How does the passage of time effect my family left at home? On a weekday, would my wife-kids proceed with their own rabbit hole jobs or be sent off school? Or are they like in an unchanged state, at the same point as I left them? I would want them to at least do their scheduled duties, like school and work.

I'm new to Sims 4 and just don't know exactly how the game functions yet. It's a big change from my Old modded-up Sims 3. At the moment I have get together installed and Seasons downloading. I feel like a career that's outside the home would be cool, but if my family doesn't progress in a basic daily routine without me...I might as well work from home
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Seasons
    musteni wrote: »
    I'd especially like any EP that makes changes to the way a sim behaves or influences others, and adds consequences (like parenthood does with the manners system).

If this is what you are looking, then you might like eco lifestyle as well. It's not my personal favourites but NAPs can alter the everyday behaviour of your sims a lot. Striving for a particular eco footprint can be quite a challenge and requires editing every lot. Just remember to read up on nap before you enable them because they can have unexpected or unwanted results.

Thanks! Ive heard about N.A.Ps. I really wish you could create your own NAPs. Is that possible in game or with mods? Or can the club feature be extended to every sim so it works like a NAP?
    So the NAPs is like a voting system and it is pretty much contained in one world. I tend to ignore it. I do like the community market and the crafting that comes with Eco Lifestyle. I find it probably minimum in changing behavior. It acts more like an event from Seasons in that something can happen but there are ways to influence it too and you earn points like the club system to vote for or against a NAP.

I wouldn't say NAPs are contained in one world. They're neighbourhood specific, so each neighbourhood (not world) has their own NAPs that you can only manage if you live there. I was pretty excited about the system, but mostly I've found them annoying. I've turned NPC voting for NAPs off because it's just chaos. Now I'm trying to add one NAP for some neighbourhoods to make them feel different. I like some of them but others are hard to use even this way. For clubs the maximum amount of sims is 8 so I don't think they could be used like NAPs, it's more of a specific group thing.
    Still contained to the Eco Lifestyle world. Sims in other pack worlds tend to live without it. Honestly I find the Get Together and City Living invite calls more annoying than the NAPs and no way to turn those notifications off. At least with Eco Lifestyle there are ways to avoid it, so why I appreciate the tool more. I wish they would function more like clubs however and option to remove that sign if needed. Why I miss neighborhood editing.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Get Famous

Still contained to the Eco Lifestyle world. Sims in other pack worlds tend to live without it. Honestly I find the Get Together and City Living invite calls more annoying than the NAPs and no way to turn those notifications off. At least with Eco Lifestyle there are ways to avoid it, so why I appreciate the tool more. I wish they would function more like clubs however and option to remove that sign if needed. Why I miss neighborhood editing.

NAPs are not contained in one world, they work for all worlds. There's only two of them that restricted to Evergreen Harbour. Maybe you're talking about a different thing, I just find ot wrong to say NAPs are contained in one world when they're not.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm actually worried about recommending Seasons to you because if you love gardening it will drastically change it in your game.
    You really won't be able to have large year round gardens anymore unless they are in a greenhouse/room or you line them up under some other shelter. Some plants have two seasons they can grow in .. they make sense to the plant but can vary widely. Like some plants might be Spring/Fall, some might be Spring/Summer some may grow only one season and a very few are hardy in all seasons. So this can be a challenge in planning and manipulating or figuring how to best graft for more growing seasons if you would be interested in that. I don't use them but there are mods out there that can help you have a year round garden again if you aren't opposed to that. The changes in some of the plants are nice to watch and but ... they can be or look ugly depending on how you see things. In the winter most plants will be more drab for instance. Like I said though all of this can be good depending on how you see things.
    Also with Seasons... for me at least I get really tired of all the darkness that cloud cover brings. I usually turn off thunderstorms (you can do that per save). Also since different worlds are affected differently I found myself living in Oasis Springs more after getting Seasons... or other worlds you won't have because you don't have those packs. For me this is to get away from frequent rains or darkness.
    All that said I wouldn't uninstall it but I have a big game and know where to send my sims if I'm tired of the dark/rain.
    On the flip side seeing things like the frost on the windows while your sim is cozy inside by the fire is really wonderful to me. I love the NPC's it brings but I like those touchs like Father Winter the Flower Bunny (egg hunts) and things like that. If you are willing to put in the time to make your own holidays it's really nice and things like having holidays off from work or school is great too. This part doesn't work with University by the way.. but you have to go in with a plan to play with that for your sim to succeed.
    I'm wondering what titles interest you as a simmer... what have you loved playing with in the past career wise? What type of characters do you like to play? Are you a family player? Do you like pets? Do you like to run a business?
    For me there really isn't one pack anymore although I don't want to play the game without having an option to play out a mad scientist or witch... but the packs that bring those aren't to every simmers likes and that only makes sense.
    Personally just to have the added gorgeous world and clubs Get Together would be my first pick. If I had to only chose one but since I love the game I'd always want more.
    I say go with your interests first and shop sales or bundles... don't add to much at once so you can fully explore each pack also. Nearly every pack adds more things for your mechanical minded sims to work with by the way.

@dipstick10 With Get To Work you other sims will go to school and work but when you get home you will still have make them do their homework or daily activities associated with their career if they have one.
    You can click on other family members icons while you are at work and have them do certain things the same way you can when you send one sim traveling somewhere... limited things though like build a skill or friendship also.
    You also have a choice to send your active career sim to work alone so you can focus on another family member if you want. They will still progress in their job to a certain extent. You do have to go to work with them though at times to meet certain promotional requirements, but those are indicated in the work panel.
    egTcBMc.png
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I'm wondering what titles interest you as a simmer... what have you loved playing with in the past career wise? What type of characters do you like to play? Are you a family player? Do you like pets? Do you like to run a business?
    For me there really isn't one pack anymore although I don't want to play the game without having an option to play out a mad scientist or witch... but the packs that bring those aren't to every simmers likes and that only makes sense.
    Personally just to have the added gorgeous world and clubs Get Together would be my first pick. If I had to only chose one but since I love the game I'd always want more.
    I say go with your interests first and shop sales or bundles... don't add to much at once so you can fully explore each pack also. Nearly every pack adds more things for your mechanical minded sims to work with by the way.

Thanks! I don't mind the seasonal gardening. It's similar in TS2. For me I don't have a specific career I love (ive never played active careers, even in ts3), just whatever suits my sim. I do like skilling however, I think TS3 did it best, especially the extra traits or bonuses after maxing skills. I like making stories and my sims also influencing how they want their lives to go (i really wish whims meant something!!). I'm neutral to pets, happy to have them, not dissapointed if I don't. I really like running businesses and creating storylines. Family play or single sim play.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
    OK so...

giphy.gif

I just purchased Seasons! On sale for $20. My first EP since 2014 lol. Thanks for everyone's input! I will see how this changes my game or interest in playing. I think Get Together or Get Famous if I like Seasons so far will be next. I loved making celebrities in TS3 but it was too easy, most people here say its more challenging in TS4 so i'd like to try that. Also Get Together's clubs seem really useful and I'd like a new world too. Thank you everyone for your comments!

• NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Seasons
    Yay! I hope you like it! Be careful of those freezing temperatures and heatwaves.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    Congrats on the new pack! I do hope you enjoy it. 🙂

Don't forget to check out Carl's Guide to Seasons.

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/seasons/
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    edited April 2021
    @Hermitgirl I'd have to agree with you on the darkness. I also have thunderstorms disabled for just that reason. I remember loading my game once and thinking it was awfully dark. I exited the game, made some adjustments to my graphics settings before realizing it was because it was overcast in game.
    Congrats on the new pack! I do hope you enjoy it. 🙂

Don't forget to check out Carl's Guide to Seasons.

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/seasons/

Thanks!!

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Get Together
    Congrats! Hope you enjoy it. It is one of the best EPs in my opinion.
    Seasons

NAPs are not contained in one world, they work for all worlds. There's only two of them that restricted to Evergreen Harbour. Maybe you're talking about a different thing, I just find ot wrong to say NAPs are contained in one world when they're not.
    The sign is where you vote is in Evergreen Harbour. Sims have to trigger it there to make it work like with Vlad and vampires. I like how it works like that. It is user controlled.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    City Living

The sign is where you vote is in Evergreen Harbour. Sims have to trigger it there to make it work like with Vlad and vampires. I like how it works like that. It is user controlled.

Sims can also vote from their mailboxes. I have a family currently in Oasis Springs (and NPC voting off) and I have a full four set of NAPs I had the first generation implement.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited April 2021
    Get Together
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

Sims can also vote from their mailboxes. I have a family currently in Oasis Springs (and NPC voting off) and I have a full four set of NAPs I had the first generation implement.

Plus you can place the sign in the neighbourhood if you really want to, either on a lot or open street with TOOL mod. Just playtest that it's routable. The sign is handy to have because it highlights when voting is open and reminds you to do it. Local sims also gather there so it's easy to find people.

I am currently playing in WB and because all neighbourhoods but those in EH start as blank slates got 4 NAPs useful to my household, even with NPC voting enabled. It's harder to repeal than to get points to vote.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    @StrawberryYogurt You should try the gardener career and you can work from home for that one if you want.. they don't make a lot of money on the career itself .. well at first... but your plants will as you know. I love the radio station that comes with this pack.. summer strut, fun at the skating rink too!
    Grats for getting the pack on sale!
    egTcBMc.png
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Seasons
    Seasons!! This made the sims 4 a lot better than it was before and I love all family interactions and holidays. It makes my sims feel more connected. The sims 4 still needs work in that department but seasons made the sims 4 more enjoyable.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
    Seasons
    I think you will really like the customization with the holidays too. It is nice being able to remove and make your own events like a toddler play day.
  • DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    @StrawberryYogurt I know you've made your decision and bought Seasons and sure hope you enjoy it. I didn't vote in the poll because you had decided by the time I saw this thread but in my mind Seasons barely edged out Get Together. I just want to say that I totally agree with your statement that a base game should be able to stand on its own. I don't mind things being patched into base game now for improvement purposes. It was so bare bones when I first installed it a couple of months after release that I walked away from the franchise for over a year, giving it another shot only after adding DLC that was available for me to try with it, to see if it helped. Obviously it did, because I'm still here, lol.

I now own all released content but have done so buying some on release day, some on sales (both Origin and other places) and using Microsoft Reward points for Amazon gift cards. Don't overlook those Microsoft points, if you're on PC. I had enough in a gift card balance to get Nifty Knitting, completely free, lol. I mention this only because you wanted to know if it might make you enjoy the game more. I don't know about "make" but I think it will allow you to do so. :)

Just want to give you quick examples of how DLC allows me to expand the fun I have with the game as a concrete example. By using Seasons; Get Together; Parenthood; OR; Spa Day and Kids Room Stuff Pack. One of my gripes with the game is the lack of activities geared towards teens. By having Get Together I was able to create a teen only club. I used The Bluffs lot in Windenburg for their meeting location by adding simple things to the lot. I added the OR tent, outdoor shower, campfire and log chairs, as well as the meditation stools from SD and a couple of other things. I really enjoy the teen club meetings. Feels totally like something teens would be doing! They swim, tell stories by the campfire; paint; meditate for a while, play guitar and can grill on a bbq, or roast at the campfire. I actually regret ending their meetings, lol. Now factor in Parenthood. Yup, you've probably already guessed these meetings can run late and cause a teen to break curfew :)

I mentioned Kids Room because that comes in useful for a child only club, or just children in general. The battle station and voidcritter card collection are fun activites for children. Maxis even has a lot on the gallery that is a reno of the Willow Creek Library, called Library Escape. I use it in all my saves and you can either hold meetings there, or, just have kids travel with friends and/or family. The lot also contains the puppet theater from Kids Room and I enjoy the kids giving performances for their friends and family. BTW, season appropriate roller skating or ice skating rinks from Seasons usually appear behind that library lot, adding in yet another option for a day at the library since you don't need a loading screen to access.

My post is getting too long, lol, so I'll bow out. Just wanted you to know that yes, DLC has definitely made it possible for me to enjoy playing the game more and I don't think you're falling for marketing by giving it a shot.
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    Seasons
    Seasons because it adds much interactive items, much clothing, great hair. Love the seasons. It adds little conveniences, E.G. being able to schedule a wedding. Think it brings sims closer, I make them do the new tasks together.
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    Seasons
    Each world has its own climate which affects how it experiences the seasons. A summer in Oasis Springs is not the same as a summer in Brindleton Bay. My sim lives in Oasis Springs and it’s summer and she’s basically been shut in her house all summer because of the heatwaves (by my choice for her to not go out on those days).

Brindleton Bay changes bonkers, new town every season to me. Winter is awesome, looks like a Hallmark.