Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A new pack type, the "Kit" is coming. Aka "Sims 3 store, 5 bucks for two chairs" is here

Comments

• HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Some of these kits may be pure outfits/build buy/gameplay objects. And so far it seems the only one gameplay-wise is to add life sim to the life sim with the dust which...meh.

Like I picked up Laundry Day but it was a long while and it was mostly just because so many gallery users used it for builds.

...which I very much realize might be the issue with these new "kits." -grumbles-
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    edited February 2021
    ULTIMATE PLOT TWIST

We are arguing how much this kits will cost but it turns out they just renamed the "Free Content" To "Kits" Because of the anniversary 😂😂😂
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    ULTIMATE PLOT TWIST

We are arguing how much this kits will cost but it turns out they just renamed the "Free Content" To "Kits" Because of the anniversary 😂😂😂

Did you see this confirmed somewhere? 🤔 No more free content?
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    ULTIMATE PLOT TWIST

Did you see this confirmed somewhere? 🤔 No more free content?

No. I meant is that what if the Kits that re coming are going to be free content optional for download Holiday Celebration pack 😅
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I hope it‘s free packs made by CC creators. Packs are already empty as they are. There just isn‘t any room to remove objects so they can be sold in separate Kit packs.
  • MarinuttonenMarinuttonen Posts: 165 Member
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    I don't think they have ever been in the Sims have they? I didn't have Sims 1 so I am not entirely sure, but I agree I would love to have bunnies added to the game. I had one as a kid, they are so cute.

They have not! Me, a long time bunny owner and fan, have been waiting since the year 2000 to have a pet bunny for my fictional children! I would even pay TS3 EP price of 60 dollaroos just for the bunnies.
    Where are the pet bunnies, Sims 4 ?! :'(
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    I'm rooting for your bunnies, Marinuttonen. Let's get them in this game.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • MarinuttonenMarinuttonen Posts: 165 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I'm rooting for your bunnies, Marinuttonen. Let's get them in this game.

Thank you, I am also rooting for the dragons and fairies!! The dragons in the original TS were amazing! Of course, I was in elementary school back then, so I always failed and got the mean red dragon who then proceeded to kill everyone and burn the house down, but I still would get the dragon egg in every save and repeat the process.

Why? Coz dragons.
    Where are the pet bunnies, Sims 4 ?! :'(
  • renamed250420211402renamed250420211402 Posts: 13 New Member
    Im not surprised that they’re doing this seeing as the sims community will eat up any and everything. Just look through this thread, people excited to throw their money at what is a painfully obvious cash grab.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited February 2021
    Onverser wrote: »
    This... did not age well.

oh-no-oh-no.png
    oh-no-oh-no-oh-no.png

Lmbo😂😂😂😂😂😂 this sent me
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited February 2021
    Although this doesn't surprise me at all given it's EA, it does concern me. Given this right along with the decision to involve some mod content in a patch, I'd say we are one or two greed cycles away from them straight up copying Bethesda's Creation Club.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with offering some modded, sanctioned-as-official *free* content in a patch as they did today, but given the greed direction of this kit thing, they may just be warming people up to the idea of modded content as "official," to introduce something like the Creation Club later.

This kit thing sends a clear message that they are not satisfied with the amount of money they are milking out of this game and will do what they can to get even more. As a modder, the writing on the wall here is making me seriously reconsider the time I put into it.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I’m interested. I’m curious how much they’ll cost.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I think this is why EA keeps microtransactions around, that 4 million dollar difference. https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinanderton/2018/03/07/the-on-going-controversy-of-microtransactions-in-gaming-infographic/?sh=5cab0ae1d9c5

This was a fun article too. I remember watching a documentary how gambling is the poor man's tax, so why microtransactions do so well. There is one thing a step up that is worst are loot boxes which are thankfully banned in several countries.
    spokesman.com/stories/2020/jul/09/game-on-microtransactions-are-rampant-in-the-gamin/

"This form of microtransaction has been shown to perpetuate gambling issues, according to a study done by the Royal Society of Open Science, “adolescents and loot boxes.” The study shows that older adolescents who spent money on loot boxes displayed more than twice as high measurements of problem gambling than those who did not, and that adolescent problem gamblers spent more than five times as much money on loot boxes than those who did not have a gambling addiction."
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    I have very mixed feelings about this type of packs. I was so happy that stuff packs have evolved from just a few objects and cas with one object having a special interaction (luxury party, perfect patio) to packs that actually add decent gameplay systems (laundry day, paranormal, tiny living). To me these kits look like they are closer to the size of the first stuff packs.

This definitely marks the point where I can tell for sure I will never own all sims 4 content. It feels close to the sims 3 store and I wasn't a fan of that. If they release 3 at once, I get a feeling we will get a lot of these. We don't know the price yet but I would be amazed if these 3 bought together will cost less than a stuff pack. I wonder if they will all have a pack icon because that would explain why the pack icons are removed from the start up screen.

I am not saying I will never get any kit. If they ever make pet dragons, smaller objects (telescope, dollhouse, cupcake machine) or medieval items, I might get them. But those will be the exceptions.

Too bad this probably means in a few weeks I will not own the required content for several buildings on the gallery.

@Onverser I am amazed by your ability to predict a vacuuming pack. Scary.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    First is this just another rumor and second is I'm surprised EA is late to the party with Micro Transactions. Mobile games do it all the time so why not PC and Console. Just try remember to proper test it first before releasing it.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    Sadly for the people that are outraged, I'm actually excited about Vacuuming and I am still giggling that Onverser predicted this! :D

:smiley:
    Well I am on his side of things; it is clear that I do not share 80% of the community's taste; I only bought Laundry and Knitting on > 50% off sales. I even boycotted the vote for the second pack since Laundry won the first, making it clear to me that nothing I am interested in would ever win a vote here.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,142 Member
    I'm irritated and midly raged about this. Considering that I have to pay more as European than the US-American, these micropacks must provide really good stuff, otherwise no, I would not even think about it too pay for theses things. But at this moment I'm absolutely not willing to pay for things which should have been in the other packs.

I guess the next logical move after these "kits" would be the loot box-system. You could win (with a chance 1: 1.500.000) this functional car if you have luck and buy tons of these mysterious treasure boxes, for real money of course.
  • Stayc615Stayc615 Posts: 37 Member
    edited February 2021
    Sadly for the people that are outraged, I'm actually excited about Vacuuming and I am still giggling that Onverser predicted this! :D

Well I am on his side of things; it is clear that I do not share 80% of the community's taste; I only bought Laundry and Knitting on > 50% off sales. I even boycotted the vote for the second pack since Laundry won the first, making it clear to me that nothing I am interested in would ever win a vote here.

Out of curiosity, what are you interested in? Occults? Cuz that seems to be one that gets downvoted a lot
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don’t want to seem weird but I’m kind of excited for the vacuums. It’s supposed to be a life simulation and I love little things that make it more realistic to life like vacuums.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited March 2021
    Depending on the price tag and how often these packs are released, I don’t see a problem with it.
    Does it come in 3’s each time?
    • A Build Buy kit.
    • A CAS kit
    • A Gameplay kit.

Are they released Monthly?

Will we be given a mix and match option for a more attractive price, similar to the bundles, if bought in 3’s?

Does this mean the focus on Expansion and Game packs shifts more towards gameplay objects and more complex gameplay mechanics?

I’m not interested in 90’s sports gear (Although I admit some of it will look good on one of my Sims in that one save 🤔), but it I can’t see the problem with these kits just yet.

Of course a company will try and find other ways to make money of their products. On top of that, this is the digital era after all. Technically speaking we’re not living in the year 2000 anymore. That doesn’t automatically mean that I agree with a lot of present day selling strategies these corporations have. Don’t get me started.

But... I can’t say that I’m annoyed with this. Or surprised. Right now I’m just very curious and interested in what it will bring.
    Dust Bunnies. We know that much.

[removed adult-themed reference]
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    As I read the description of KITS, I mumbled to myself "is this satire?" I'm not shocked. It's typical for TS4 to step up its money-grabbing, content-splitting ways. I am just so concerned regarding what this means for future packs.
    Dusting could SO easily have been included in a SP/GP/EP bc of how generic it is. Country kitchen could have fitted in a farming EP, which I'm relatively certain we'll get eventually. The retro clothes could have fitted in a Generations pack, whick I also think we'll get soon. Content is already spread thin, but now I'm quite sure that a number of KITS will basically be content withheld from other packs to intrigue you to "complete the set."

TS3 store operated quite heavily on encouraging people to purchase the entire set of the objects they have. C&D and MFPS have an actual, obvious set spread across them. How many people bought them just for completion's sake? I think many TS4 players collect all the DLC for completion, and EA noticed this so decided to make the Store more "official" by parading it in our faces as "real" DLC. This way completionists are much more compelled to buy everything - it's not somewhere on a website that you have to go look for/many players don't even know of.

I am not pleased with the "but look now we can have niche things that wouldn't otherwise make sense in packs" mindset. I firmly suspect that most of the KITS we'll get, could have been part of other DLC. I would much more gladly pay for a DLC like EL where, though it's ridiculous that an entire pack was dedicated to this theme, at least I actually get some gameplay, a world and an entire catelog dedicated to it, rather than a KIT with a small number of objects and thus very surface level implementation, without any semblance of depth. This just feels like "official," expensive CC/mods.

I want newspapers and landlines. That's niche. They might just be thrown into a kit instead of Generations. Maybe Generations will have some retro stuff, but not enough to build a true retro home. Let's just get the fitness kit, the landline kit, bowling night and get famous. There, that's nice. Ah, but it feels weird that my sims don't have a lot of household chores to keep them busy. Let's get laundry day, parenthood and dusting kit - maybe vintage glamour when I don't feel like it anymore and want a butler. Ah, but now my sims' kids would like some minor pets. Let's just get MFPS, birds kit and reptiles kit - I'd like to feed insects to the reptiles though so I'll get OR too. And, though the Romance GP is nice, I really want that vibrating heart bed kit with the new bed animations. And the banyard wedding kit for when my kids move to the country with the farming EP. Oh wait, I should probably get country kitchen kit too, then.

Starts feeling like microtransactions that aren't so micro.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited February 2021
    Wow, I am freaking astounded. :angry: Just when I thought the bar was already in hell for this game they found a new way to dropper it even lower! They seriously sat here and found a new way to split up freaking stuff pack?! As if 🐸🐸🐸🐸 isn't split up enough in this game. Everything is being ripped or cut up to make us keep paying for less, it's no wonder they came up with this scheme of a plan cause they see that it's actually working. I see sims 5 headed in this direction, we need to go ahead and pull the plug cause this franchise is on it's last leg. This picture pretty much sums up sims 4 and what might possible be sims 5.

ZxJBm5G.jpg[img][/img]
    giphy.gif

edited February 2021
    Stayc615 wrote: »

Out of curiosity, what are you interested in? Occults? Cuz that seems to be one that gets downvoted a lot

Honestly I wanted what we then got in Eco Living. I voted for the Laundy pack before all the good stuff was ripped out of it, back when it was labeled as an Eco pack. After it was clear it was transformed into a Laundry Only pack I dropped out of the voting.

I want modern, realistic, interesting stuff. Not chores or magic.
    My favorite stuff pack is Tiny Living, which was absolutely amazing and right up my alley.
    edited February 2021
    Wow, I am freaking astounded. :angry: Just when I thought the bar was already in ❤️❤️❤️❤️ for this game they found a new way to dropper it even lower! They seriously sat here and found a new way to split up freaking stuff pack?! As if ❤️❤️❤️❤️ isn't split up enough in this game. Everything is being ripped or cut up to make us keep paying for less, it's no wonder they came up with this scheme of a plan cause they see that it's actually working. I see sims 5 headed in this direction, we need to go ahead and pull the plug cause this franchise is on it's last leg. This picture pretty much sums up sims 4 and what might possible be sims 5.

ZxJBm5G.jpg[img][/img]

Exactly.
    This is like a car dealer ship. You want leather seats? That's 5k extra. You want slightly wider tires? That's 6k extra. And soon You want a steering wheel? That's 2.5k.
    Post edited by Beardedgeek on
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited February 2021
    Scobre wrote: »
    I think this is why EA keeps microtransactions around, that 4 million dollar difference. https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinanderton/2018/03/07/the-on-going-controversy-of-microtransactions-in-gaming-infographic/?sh=5cab0ae1d9c5

This was a fun article too. I remember watching a documentary how gambling is the poor man's tax, so why microtransactions do so well. There is one thing a step up that is worst are loot boxes which are thankfully banned in several countries.
    spokesman.com/stories/2020/jul/09/game-on-microtransactions-are-rampant-in-the-gamin/

"This form of microtransaction has been shown to perpetuate gambling issues, according to a study done by the Royal Society of Open Science, “adolescents and loot boxes.” The study shows that older adolescents who spent money on loot boxes displayed more than twice as high measurements of problem gambling than those who did not, and that adolescent problem gamblers spent more than five times as much money on loot boxes than those who did not have a gambling addiction."

but this isn't loot boxes for it to be gamble you have to not know what your going to get @Scobre

play games of chance for money; bet.

take risky action in the hope of a desired result.
    "the British could only gamble that something would turn up"

at worst this could only cause poor money habits
    if anything at all the sims 3 and sims 2 both had stores
    edited because there was more copied then I wanted

also I want to add I don't think microtransactions are all bad I don't think cheating people is good but
    getting more of what you like is also loot boxes need to die
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
    more for sim kids and more drama please