Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

DeanXeL's Basegame Builds and building tips/building around glitches :)

Comments

• DeanXeLDeanXeL Posts: 289 Member
    edited June 2021
    Alright, wasn't entirely sure what to do with it, so I decided to turn it into a small budget home, turned out ok I think :D
    I present to you "On the edge"

C17FSs6.png
    VyX3dFx.png
    xTZhHhS.png

How it's done:
    1) Build your house, complete with basic roof and all rooms that go under the roof. For this roof, use whichever edge you want.
    2) Build a structure in front of your house that is one floor higher than your current house (so if your roof is placed on
    top of the ground floor, build a 2-floor structure and so on. Remove the bottom floor of the structure, so you obtain a "lift" See also this video
    3) place a new roof on top of the structure, this is preferably a one-sided roof for which you use elongated eaves. The edging is the semi-wide edge (not the full-wide, they will overlap and glitch)
    4) lift or lower the structure floor so that the roof is positioned just below the basic house roof when it is one position removed from the side (you will need this to be able to lower the edge without placing the roof inside the first floorstructure of your main house)
    5) Remove the small roof from the structure (first "float" it completely, not touching anything, THEN drag it into your house) and place it in its final location
    6) Do the same for all following pieces of roof, each time lowering it one bit to obtain a nice edge.
    7) If you want a wide edge, you might at some point need to move the tiny roof piece another square towards the middle to not drop it into the first floor.

Important!
    1) If you want the sides of the roofs to show (the white band showing on the side of my building), build a complete room on the floor where you put your roof and remove the walls. If you do NOT want the sides to show (only roof edge present on the front), try not to build on the second floor or maybe only build in the middle and keep your roofs to the side.
    2) If you build something (full walls or half walls doesn't matter) on the floor where you put the roof, you cannot edit the rooms (place/remove/edit walls) afterwards without the roofs disappearing, redecorating is no problem. If you do need to edit something, draw the "lifted" roofs completely out of the house, so they float freely before you edit and place them back afterwards.
    Post edited by DeanXeL on
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    On the Edge is a lovely modern starter home! :) The roofing edge looks great! Very nice patterned front wall of windows to bring in nice sunshine to the home. The dog statue is a homely touch near the door and the flower bushes either sides of the front path are pretty! Very nice open plan layout and furnishing of the interior. The yellow, black and white colours of the living areas are very nice, and the wall pattern on the tv wall gives a great look to the area! The planterbox behind the sofa is a lovely touch! The upper loft bed area level is very nice :)
    My boyfriend told me to build "the Durst" house by Bruce Goth, however, it is quite large, so I just took inspiration from it, built the side view and went from there, this is my WIP :D

a1pAM4e.png
    qQ6gYEu.png
    Your WIP is looking great! :) Very creative design! The shapes of the exterior areas look great!Very nice sloped roofing! Very great curved circular window area with the glass roofing!
  • nali272nali272 Posts: 431 Member
    I just saw your link to this page @DeanXeL - these are awesome... so glad you are sharing... I have been wondering how to do the angled pillars for one of my challenge builds. I will check out your YT vid.
    Try my challenge - make these builds better. (star the page for notifications)
    bK9v9z4.jpg?1
    @nali272 thank you :) I know I tend to do some crazy things when given the chance, but I also know sometimes people are dying to do something, but can't figure out how to make it work (happens to me like... all the time) so I prefer sharing the things I do find out :)

Always happy to help search for solutions to a particular problem as well! :D

As for the pillars, I hope the post with the guide is kinda clear, the youtube video I only made to show people how to work the roofs (I really don't like making videos, but I figure I will have to make some for a few of these since it is WAY easier to show xD) If you have questions, please shoot ;)
    I wish to share with you my finished version of "The Durst". Decided to turn the first roof piece into a vide with a hallway :)

Full slideshow

AdXJ5GW.png

DZu6nDu.png

UqPKYnj.png

mNgoTKG.png
    The Durst is a lovely modern family home! :) Very creatively great exterior design, sloped roofing and curved windows! The water fountains feature is pretty!Very great design of the back patio and outdoors dining area! The furnishings and the open plan layout of the interior are lovely! Very stylish black,blue and white colors! The open fireplace in the living room area is very nice! The candles are pretty on the tables. Sims will enjoy sitting there watching tv, listening to piano music being played by other sims and reading books. Very nice design and furnishing of each of the bedrooms.
    It is a very nice modern home :)
    @rosemow, thank you so much as always for the time you put into checking out everyone's creations and the lovely comments. It's always a bright moment in my day ^_^ If ever you see a point of improvement, please don't be afraid to point it out though (if you feel comfortable with that), I love a bit of criticism to push myself ;)
    @BreeMiles thank you :) if ever you have requests/suggestions for a new build, feel free to tell me :p (I know you do requests for DNA but anyway :D)
    So, been a while since I last made a new build. I have been working on... dumdumdum.... a garden challenge x.X Since I am bad at landscaping and don't like doing gardens in general, it was a REALLY good challenge ^_^'

I present: devilica's garden challenge (still runs until 4th of March)

Gallery link

foMYGup.png

jprxQPJ.png

tRhe3Jb.png
    BJYbDLq.png

gQ2Vvfm.png
    Dev’s Garden Challenge is lovely! :) The landscaping is very beautifully done! Very nice design of the pathways and the flowers and row of gardening boxes look very nice on the edges! Very lovely patio area with the seating, pretty flowerboxes and the plants on the edges! The water fountain and fish fountains feature is very beautifully designed! Very lovely glass roof outdoors living, dining, and kitchen patio! Sims will enjoy sitting, chatting on the sofas and listening to gramaphone music and the candles on the table are calming. Sims will enjoy cooking meals on the grill and sitting at the dining table eating food together in the outdoors air. Very pretty flower bed. Very nice exterior design and white color of the home, and the open plan interior layout is very nice. The bonsai trees are very nice on either sides of the house.
    It is a lovely landscaped home :)
    @rosemow thank you so much for again taking the time to look at my build and all of the kind words! Always lovely to see you :)
  • nali272nali272 Posts: 431 Member
    That is pretty awesome for someone who thinks that they are bad at landscaping!!! :D
    Try my challenge - make these builds better. (star the page for notifications)
    bK9v9z4.jpg?1
    @nali272 lol thanx :D I used a few decks, hence it is more building than landscaping :p I usually leave a whole lot of grass, don't use the brushes etc. I have a really hard time making gardens look like... Actual gardens XD
    edited February 2021
    So thanx to @chips46 who told me we can use shift + C on a roof to add extra manipulation options, I finally found a way to make a nice outward curving, slightly slanted wall. I am super excited about this one :) This one was build WITHOUT MOO and only using debug items to add the cars!

Game offices basegame

UJCQJaT.png

h4FGUMF.png

Link to full slideshow

How this works:
    1) the shape of the roofs can only be gotten with "extended roof options", unlocked by clicking shift + C on a roof
    2) In order to have the roof appear on the right floor, but not be separate from the rest of the building, I made one square on the inside of the building technically 'outside'. I finished off this tiny block with windows and added a cactus in it to turn it into some kind of feature. This 'outside' square is needed to avoid the "roof cannot be placed in enclosed rooms' issue. All visible parts of roof are essentially eaves.
    3) To hide the part where the eaves of the different roofs cross each other, I placed a small roof part over it with a side wall, so the visual glitching is gone. It takes quite some time to match up the roofs next to each other without them flashing or leaving openings.
    Games offices basegame is a very creatively designed modern office build! :) The curved slanted walls look great! Very nice large glass windows walls! The cars in the parking spots look great! Very special and pretty water fountain feature area with the seating and tables with candles on the edges! The semi circle flowers and tree beds are pretty! Very stylish interior design and furnishings! Very nice black, red and white colors , and great layout! The black marble and white flooring on the ground level are very nice! Very nice offices, with lovely pattern walls. Sims will enjoy doing their work on the computer at the desk. Very nice cafeteria and bar counter area! Sims will enjoy sitting on the stools having drinks from the bar, or enjoy very nice views through the windows whilst dining at the tables .
    It is a great offices build! :)
    thank you so much rosemow! :)
    edited June 2021
    I got around to making a new build :) This one has a feature diamond shaped window and a more neutral palate:

"The Diamond" basegame

Link to slideshow

sFhW6UB.png
    WtZdEJ2.png
    cl7xJWZ.png

How it works:
    1) Another house where 'roof drawing' is very important: Link to youtube tutorial
    2) Usually with roof drawing, you want to place the roofs on a higher floor, so they are easier to work with, however, that way the roofs also only show up when you are at that floor. Due to the windows here, I wanted to avoid that. So I added an "outside space" on the inside of the building. This time, instead of making it into a feature with windows, I removed the walls. !!This means any roof on the inside of your building will show!!
    3) I split the ground floor in front (don't want the roofs to show and the "outside space" is surrounded by walls, see next to the toilet) and the back (living area, I do want the roof to show there, the parts I didn't want to show are surrounded by wall, next to the "V")
    4) Use the roof drawing on the ground floor by raising a basement up, so the roof is still on the ground floor and appears when you play the ground floor. For the first floor (small diamond window), use a first floor structure
    The Diamond Basegame is a very stylish modern family home! :) The exterior design is very great! The diamond windows look so very great on the front and back of the home! Very nice skylight roofing, and the rectangular windows on the side are very nice. Very nice neutral colours of the exterior and interior. Very nice interior layout and furnishings! It is great that there are 4 bedrooms, and the colour scheme of each one is lovely! The wood texture of the furniture through the rooms is very nice. The artist nook with art decor and an easel for Sims to enjoy painting is very nice! Sims will enjoy listening to piano music whilst painting,
    It is a lovely stylish home for a family :)
    Thank you so much Rosemow! :)
    Alright! So I FINALLY figured out I had to change my keyboard layout to querty (messing up my entire game) to actually be able to use the free camera, I finally made some nice pictures! :D Built this for the empty nester challenge! :)

Mid-century Bungalow
    Slideshow

PICTURES:
    Xl8xR4u.png
    AzBBDko.png
    PUIHB1l.png
    Mid Century Bungalow is a lovely home! ;) Very nice mid century modern exterior design,great sloped roofing and the flowers features in the front garden see pretty! The plants greenery along the back edges of the lot with lavender in the corner is very nice. The interior furnishings and layout are lovely! The orange colour and the wood texture furnishings are very nice.Very nice homely entrance area with the clothes and shoes racks and mirror. The design of the open plan living and kitchen is very nice! The sofa and armchair fireplace sitting area is warm and calming. The island stools counter and the kitchen design is very nice, Very beautiful light filled sunroom! The leafy wall pattern and the flower boxes are lovely! Very nice design of the bedrooms.
    It is a very nice home! :)