Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Breaking the simoleon bank with Plopsy

TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
Hello everyone,
Pretty much since Plopsy was added, I was wondering how high (more like "how absurd") can its money-making potential get. The thing is, most small objects have a low value, and thus won't sell for that much, because Plopsy just multiplies it by a number around 3.
However, one object stood out for the first moment: The camping mascot. Those are priced way higher than the usual woodworking decor and max-quality can inflate it a lot.
Nv3WIrD.png
But everyone playing for a while knows that the true jackpot is in paintings. With the reward traits Marketable and Creative Visionary, I've made a few paintings that reached over 5k. So I tried how far can Plopsy push it. With both reward traits as well as 'Support the creative arts' NAP.
My current jackpot is nearing 30k with the painting of... a carrot.
AGEhiyx.jpg

So, I wanted to see what other people managed with Plopsy. What are your best sales on all sorts of stuff? Can the high-level knitted items (sweaters, mostly) sell for a lot?
I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
I also like wandering the hills.

Comments

• ZorgaZorga Posts: 614 Member
    didn't people in RL go bonkers over a banana duck taped to the wall? Wasn't there some banksy art that got shredded the moment the bidding war ended? People pay dumb prices for art.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    Seems like my highly noble families should start painting! I still don't know how high bills a fully decorated castle will cause. Neither I know how to pay them without cheating...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I have yet to figure out how my Sims can add their knitted stuff to Plopsy, let alone anything else they might craft. A little help would be greatly appreciated to those of you who've managed to add stuff to that site. Please, and thank you, in advance. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I have yet to figure out how my Sims can add their knitted stuff to Plopsy, let alone anything else they might craft. A little help would be greatly appreciated to those of you who've managed to add stuff to that site. Please, and thank you, in advance. :)

Click on the item in the Sim's inventory. If it can be listed on Plopsy, there should be an option to "List on Plopsy" for 5 simoleans. The item will then have a pink background. When someone wants to buy it, there will be a chime, a popup notification, and the background will turn blue. You can then click to "ship on plopsy" and it will tell you how much the item will sell for.

On the topic in general, I've done quite nicely with selling floral arrangements, especially once my sim started being able to churn out masterworks. And that's without him having the reward traits.
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    > @DaWaterRat said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Click on the item in the Sim's inventory.

For my sim's paintings, I click on them while they're still on the easel and that works too.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
    Thank you Both @DaWaterRat & @FatTribble23 Now, I just have to get a Sim to knit more stuff. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • SimsfreakmaniacSimsfreakmaniac Posts: 140 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

On the topic in general, I've done quite nicely with selling floral arrangements, especially once my sim started being able to churn out masterworks. And that's without him having the reward traits.

Sims are buying your floral arrangements?? All my sim got were multiple spoilt arrangements on her hands.
  • TantalusTantalus Posts: 200 Member
    edited November 2020
    Its there any trick to actually sell something on plopsy?? i cant even sell a paint. Been trying since three days ago in my new sim, no luck lol. I have already about 10 paintings waiting to be sold. Ridiculous. This was my last resource to be able to pay my lot taxes.. oh well.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    As with reality, there seems to be something like "too much stuff" - I'm doing the best with 2-3 items on sale at once (per sim, probably). That way, most items get sold on the first try.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
    Erm, well, not in my case. I started with three paintings for the first week, no sells. Then i thought increasing the number will at least increase the chances of sell something... no dice lol. Now, more than one month after i still didnt sell anything. I mean, come on...
    edited November 2020
    The wife of my Global Superstar was just now able to place a pair of knitted socks on Plopsy. Apparently, this is quite an item. Set to sell at §220.00 — for a pair of socks? You've got to be kidding. Must be because it's Kayleigh Cantrell. :love:

The socks just got sold! This was my very first time to place something for sale. Many thanks to the people who helped me learn how to place something on Plopsy!
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    edited December 2020
    > @Tantalus said:
    > Its there any trick to actually sell something on plopsy?? i cant even sell a paint. Been trying since three days ago in my new sim, no luck lol. I have already about 10 paintings waiting to be sold. Ridiculous. This was my last resource to be able to pay my lot taxes.. oh well.

I'm no expert, but that sounds like a bug. My sims probably sell about 50% of what they list. I don't bother relisting anything, though. Maybe repairing your game might fix it?

> @GalacticGal said:

> The socks just got sold! This was my very first time to place something for sale. Many thanks to the people who helped me learn how to place something on Plopsy!

Congratulations!
    Post edited by FatTribble23 on
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Tantalus wrote: »
    Its there any trick to actually sell something on plopsy?? i cant even sell a paint. Been trying since three days ago in my new sim, no luck lol. I have already about 10 paintings waiting to be sold. Ridiculous. This was my last resource to be able to pay my lot taxes.. oh well.

You should be able to pay the lot taxes if you just take some of the paintings off Plopsy and sell them normally.
    Sketch793 wrote: »

You should be able to pay the lot taxes if you just take some of the paintings off Plopsy and sell them normally.

I am not. Until the devs fixes it, i cant be paying 5000$+ for a 70000$ lot value when my incomes are not near that. Fact is, ive been playing without electricity and services since a couple of in-game-weeks now. But if things keep going this way, well, i will need to stop playing TS4 until the devs fixes it.

I am not. Until the devs fixes it, i cant be paying 5000$+ for a 70000$ lot value when my incomes are not near that. Fact is, ive been playing without electricity and services since a couple of in-game-weeks now. But if things keep going this way, well, i will need to stop playing TS4 until the devs fixes it.

Are you opposed to playing with mods? There is a mod SNB & Bills from SimReaslist that allows you to set the percentage of the taxes your Sim will have to pay on their property. Besides allowing other Sims in the household to have their own bank account. It's great when the teens get jobs and start earning their own Simoleons.

Sorry you're having so much trouble with the game.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited December 2020
    I don't even really understand how to use it...

Edit: Never mind, turns out the things I am interested in selling can't be sold on Plopsy, so well... No reason to use it then. Back to yard sales.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited December 2020

I'm not sure what's actually "broken" here because the lot taxes are working as intended. But be aware that having a bunch of expensive paintings in your inventory will make your taxes higher. I hope you can get Plopsy sorted. Good luck.

Are the paintings in your inventory that are waiting to be sold pink or blue or neither?
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    As with reality, there seems to be something like "too much stuff" - I'm doing the best with 2-3 items on sale at once (per sim, probably). That way, most items get sold on the first try.

Hm, never thought of that, but you are probably right! My sims often sell the first couple items with ease, then it gets a bit harder as they bombard poor Plopsy with more stuff.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    haneul wrote: »
    I'm not sure what's actually "broken" here because the lot taxes are working as intended. But be aware that having a bunch of expensive paintings in your inventory will make your taxes higher. I hope you can get Plopsy sorted. Good luck.

Are the paintings in your inventory that are waiting to be sold pink or blue or neither?

Ive been playing for more than two years now, i know how plopsy works lol. But yup, they are pink. Waiting patiently to turn blue...

And how can you say taxes are not broken??? i have a simple house of one and a half floors, and thats it. I dont have a basement, i dont even have the roofs yet. And im paying 5700$ on taxes.

I only have 4 paintings now in my inventory. That should not increase taxes that much, its ridiculous. And they are regular paintings, not masterpieces. I also dont have much expensive stuff in my lot. I dont even have a big tv or a decent computer yet. Since my sim is a kitchen chief those things are the last pieces of furniture i will add.

As i said, i still didnt find any reason for the taxes to go up so much. If you are saying its not broken, then its a completely failed and game-breaking mechanic, sorry.

Yesterday i sold one painting... one from almost ten i had in the beginning. In more than three months of game-playing, i only sold one. ONE.

Ive been playing for more than two years now, i know how plopsy works lol. But yup, they are pink. Waiting patiently to turn blue...

And how can you say taxes are not broken??? i have a simple house of one and a half floors, and thats it. I dont have a basement, i dont even have the roofs yet. And im paying 5700$ on taxes.

I only have 4 paintings now in my inventory. That should not increase taxes that much, its ridiculous. And they are regular paintings, not masterpieces. I also dont have much expensive stuff in my lot. I dont even have a big tv or a decent computer yet. Since my sim is a kitchen chief those things are the last pieces of furniture i will add.

As i said, i still didnt find any reason for the taxes to go up so much. If you are saying its not broken, then its a completely failed and game-breaking mechanic, sorry.

Yesterday i sold one painting... one from almost ten i had in the beginning. In more than three months of game-playing, i only sold one. ONE.

Ah, yes, but how much stuff is stored in each of your Sims' inventories that live on said lot? When computing the taxes, these items are included. Face/palm. That would be like the IRS having RL people sorting through their brief cases and hand bags. :open_mouth: We won't even talk about the Scotty eVest.
    edited December 2020
    Erm, i only have one single sim in that lot... lol.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    This lot wouldn't happen to be in Mt Komorebi, would it? Because there is a bug with high bills due to energy consumption there.

Though your bills don't seem too out of step with my current household, which has a slightly larger house (or so it sounds) and probably several thousand simoleans worth of rare flowers. Lot taxes there are around 4.5K simoleans before reductions for Frugal and other benefits. And I have two working sims at the tops of their respective careers, plus whatever they sell on Plopsy.

Other things that could be causing high bills might be NAPs, if your place is out of compliance. Also a few build items increase bills (there's a roof from Sulani that caught me off guard that way.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited December 2020

Sorry you're still having issues with this. My Sims' have had no issues earning enough each week to pay their bills of more than 50,000 simoleons (the lot taxes are at least 40,000, but could be the entire thing, I don't remember). Your lot is worth 70,000, which is several times more than a starter home, so I think the bills you say you have could make sense. If they're really bothersome and you don't want to just sell the paintings normally, you could always cheat your sim money as has already been suggested.

Earning money and becoming rich isn't difficult in the game, so I like that sims are taxed.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Kinda like real life. There have been countless discussions on the forums relating to my collecting hobbies about ridiculous listing prices/auctions that went to a stupidly high amount. I myself once bid on an auction of stuff that I knew was worth no more than my $25 bid. The whole group went for about $1000 and something. Either someone made a mistake/did something stupid/or something that probably no one can explain was going on.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    If you have MCCC, just turn down your bills percentage. I love Plopsy, and make good money on it...some of my sims photographs go for decent amounts, much more than she would get for selling them to a publication! And she has zero perks, as this is a new (as of the SE patch) save. With MCCC I tend to start my sims bills at about -90 and slowly move them up from there - and it goes to like 1000, so your really rich sims can spend a LOT in bills if you want. Of course, if you don't have it, and don't want the other features, it's a huge mod for one little thing, and I'm sure there are others out there. But I do want to say that bills WERE fixed, other then the new bugs with SE lots. All things the same on a new lot, my sims used to pay about 4 times as much as they are paying now. I think it was a patch earlier this year that fixed that, but my memory is a bit foggy on exactly when that changed. Pretty sure it was before Eco Living, but it did change again with Eco Living as well.